PDA

View Full Version : Estonians least religious in the world

Põhjamaalane
2010-12-18, 18:01
Estonians least religious in the world (http://euobserver.com/9/27587)

Five EU members figure among the world's top 10 least religious countries, with Estonia leading the list, a new poll has shown.

Just 14 percent of Estonians answered positively to the question: "Is religion an important part of your daily life?" according to a poll released by Gallup earlier this week.

Estonia is followed by Nordic countries Sweden and Denmark, where 17 and 18 percent of those asked answered positively to the same question.

The Czech Republic comes fifth at 21 percent, just after Norway (20%), while France is ninth with a quarter of French people declaring religion important in their daily life.

The UK, Finland, the Netherlands, Lithuania, Latvia and Bulgaria were also among the countries where most people did not consider religion to be such an important part of their lives.

Tuohikirje
2010-12-18, 18:29
Estonians least religious in the world (http://euobserver.com/9/27587)

Five EU members figure among the world's top 10 least religious countries, with Estonia leading the list, a new poll has shown.

Just 14 percent of Estonians answered positively to the question: "Is religion an important part of your daily life?" according to a poll released by Gallup earlier this week.

Estonia is followed by Nordic countries Sweden and Denmark, where 17 and 18 percent of those asked answered positively to the same question.

The Czech Republic comes fifth at 21 percent, just after Norway (20%), while France is ninth with a quarter of French people declaring religion important in their daily life.

The UK, Finland, the Netherlands, Lithuania, Latvia and Bulgaria were also among the countries where most people did not consider religion to be such an important part of their lives.

Commies destroyed grave yards, churches. Priests were haunted and killed. Religion was not allowed.

How do you see the given fact affecting Estonia's position on the list?

Do you see 'less religious' as a negative or positive phenomena?

Eliades
2010-12-18, 18:33
Commies destroyed grave yards, churches. Priests were haunted and killed. Religion was not allowed.

That may be true, but why are non former Soviet bloc nations, like Scandinavia and the UK so non religious/atheistic?

Põhjamaalane
2010-12-18, 18:35

I haven't heard of anyone massively destroying graveyards and churches... The churches in Estonia are in a rather good shape.

If such "things" were done in the entire USSR, then why aren't everyone in the ex-Soviet area, like the Estonians? ;) I think that being so non-religious has to do with the Nordic mentality and Lutheran past of the Estonians.

This is positive, of course.

Freewheel
2010-12-19, 12:28
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Europe

The low religiosity is often referred as a good proof of nordicness.And it is not wrong because, yes, generally the northerners are less religious than southerners. However we have to take a few aspects into consideration.

-Well, we have to take into consideration that Estonian attitude towards Christianity has been pretty strongly influenced by the fact that the Christianity was brought to Estonia by violence and the christianisation is connected with the loss of Estonian independence in 13th century. The attitude of those countries who voluntarily joined the Christian world is, different and if we talk for instance, about Lithuania we can say that Catholicism i.e Christianity has been very closely connected with Lithuanian patriotism and nationalism.
Maybe this is the reason why Estonians, according to wikipedia believe “in a spirit or life force” more than other Europeans.
And soothsayers?They are (very) popular here.;)

-Estonian religiousity is about as low or even lower than the religiousness of Scandinavians. But Estonia has had a Soviet past with strong atheistic propaganda.

The Scandinavians have had no Soviets, no atheistic propaganda.

I think propaganda played important role because even a Muslem country Azerbaijan is, at least according to this source, pretty atheistic.

-The third recognizable circumstance is that compared to Scandinavians Finns are more religious.

This may be important, because Põhjamaa often says that Estonia =Finland, but without communistic past.

If to have a look to pre WW2 Estonia we can see that religion and Lutheran Church played considerably bigger role in the society than now. The bishops of the two main churches: Lutheran bishop and Orthodox bishop were according to constitution ex officio members of the State Council etc.

If low religiosity means nordicness maybe an Estonian should say many thanks to Soviet period for his nordicness?;)

Põhjamaalane
2010-12-19, 12:36
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Europe

The low religiosity is often referred as a good proof of nordicness.And it is not wrong because, yes, generally the northerners are less religious than southerners. However we have to take a few aspects into consideration.

-Well, we have to take into consideration that Estonian attitude towards Christianity has been pretty strongly influenced by the fact that the Christianity was brought to Estonia by violence and the christianisation is connected with the loss of Estonian independence in 13th century. The attitude of those countries who voluntarily joined the Christian world is, different and if we talk for instance, about Lithuania we can say that Catholicism i.e Christianity has been very closely connected with Lithuanian patriotism and nationalism.
Maybe this is the reason why Estonians, according to wikipedia believe “in a spirit or life force” more than other Europeans.
And soothsayers?They are (very) popular here.;)

-Estonian religiousity is about as low or even lower than the religiousness of Scandinavians. But Estonia has had a Soviet past with strong atheistic propaganda.

The Scandinavians have had no Soviets, no atheistic propaganda.

I think propaganda played important role because even a Muslem country Azerbaijan is, at least according to this source, pretty atheistic.

-The third recognizable circumstance is that compared to Scandinavians Finns are more religious.

This may be important, because Põhjamaa often says that Estonia =Finland, but without communistic past.

If to have a look to pre WW2 Estonia we can see that religion and Lutheran Church played considerably bigger role in the society than now. The bishops of the two main churches: Lutheran bishop and Orthodox bishop were according to constitution ex officio members of the State Council etc.

If low religiosity means nordicness maybe an Estonian should say many thanks to Soviet period for his nordicness?;)

Estonians weren't "extremely religious" even before WW2. Your trollish desperation of trying to distance Estonians from the culturally closest people to us, is rather funny.

Stop using öüäõ letters when writing something, because they make you similar to other Nordic people. Stop drinking glögg during the winter, because only Nordic people drink it, the Balts do not. Just stop acting like an Estonian, foreigners might mistake you for a Finn. Et cetera

It is quite rare that a troll trolls his own ethnicity, usually other ethnicities are trolled. This shows that you completely lack a sense of patriotism and do not care about your country nor your heritage.

Janos
2010-12-19, 13:36
Poor Estonians.

But why are Russians more religious despite being ruled by Sovjet commies too?

Põhjamaalane
2010-12-19, 13:39
Poor Estonians.

Is being the least religious people in the world, a bad thing?

Yes, that's a very good question. Russians were under Soviet rule from 1917 to 1991, thus they should be the least religious people in the world, if Freewheel's theory is right.

Estonia was under Soviet rule 1940-1941 and 1944-1991. Thus Russians should be way less religious than Estonians. :lol:

Janos
2010-12-19, 13:41
16 % of Estonians believ in God, but 54 % believe in a "Spirit or life force"..please..

These people claim to be atheistic and that they need no God but yet they has to believe in a "spirit" or "life force".

Why can't a God simply do?

Hippie crap.

Freewhell, yes it is. These people will need to get their thirst for answers to life's question someone else.

Also, with any religious foundation, this openes for degenerating things like putting homosexuality as equal to heterosexuality.

At least Estonians are not as gayloving as Finns. In Finland, 30 000 people got so mad that they left the State Lutheran Church because a person from church said in tv that homosexuality is wrong from christian viewpoint.":|

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/non_aviation/read.main/2273390/

Põhjamaalane
2010-12-19, 13:46
16 % of Estonians believ in God

14% according to my article(which is 4 years newer than the source in Wikipedia), but this doesn't change the fact that Estonians are the least religious people in the world.

, but 54 % believe in a "Spirit or life force"..please..

Wut is that? o_O Both Estonians and Swedes are the least religious people in the world, but 53% of Swedes also believe in a "Spirit or life force"? I have no idea what this term means.

These people claim to be atheistic and that they need no God but yet they has to believe in a "spirit" or "life force".

Why can't a God simply do?

Hippie crap.

I do not know what you are talking about, but go asking questions like "Do you believe in a God? Do you believe there's an afterlife?" et cetera from Estonians and you get answers which correspond to Estonians being the least religious people in the world.

Janos
2010-12-19, 13:53

A majority of Estonians believ in a "spirit".

Maybe its a geenie that lives on the moon?

Tuohikirje
2010-12-19, 13:59
At least Estonians are not that gayloving as Finns. In Finland, 30 000 people got so mad that they left the State Lutheran Church because a person from church said in tv that homosexuality is wrong from christian viewpoint."

Finns have a strong sense of justness. Freedom of speech, work and good ethics are highly appreciated. The issue could have been related to invalids, pensioners, children, Santa Clauses and the result would have been the same.

You do not have to be 'gay' or love 'gays' to make a statement of what is right or wrong.

Swedes are 'gays', in general.

:lol:

Põhjamaalane
2010-12-19, 14:06

Maybe its a geenie that lives on the moon?

The majority of Swedes believe in a "spirit", maybe you know what it is, as you're a Swede? :p

Janos
2010-12-19, 14:08
The majority of Swedes believe in a "spirit", maybe you know what it is, as you're a Swede? :p

Hehe, I wonder as much as you do. I belong to the 23 % who believe in a God.

And, I don't think He is an old man with 2 metres long beard, sitting on a cloud, in case you would ask.

Valerio
2010-12-19, 15:08
Poor Estonians.

No, poor you for being so naive, unintelligent and weak that you need to rely on non-sense religion to get through the day. If you ever finally found out the truth you probably wouldnt be able to handle it. So now who are really the people we should have pity for? Not Estonians

Freewheel
2010-12-19, 16:01
Originally Posted by Janos
Poor Estonians.
ValeroNo, poor you for being so naive, unintelligent and weak that you need to rely on non-sense religion to get through the day.
You Valero probaly represnt here Nordicistic views.
In real life so many Estonians talk about moral and ethical crisis in the Estonian society.I m in fact very passive church-goer myself but I think I agree Janos and think religion has some positive influences for the society in wider context.

They have just replaced Christian god with spirits.Beliving in spirits and soothsayers is very popular among Estonians.

Põhjamaalane
2010-12-19, 16:05
They have just replaced Christian god with spirits.Beliving in spirits and soothsayers is very popular among Estonians.

What spirits? Saying that soothsayers are "very popular" among Estonians is pure bullshit. I have never even heard about any soothsayers here and I have no idea where to find one, if I wanted to see one. Stop spreading false information about Estonians. You're blatantly lying and trolling. Saying that Estonians are muslims is just as true as saying that "soothsayers(what ever they are?)" are "very popular" here.

Hybrid99
2010-12-19, 16:07
No, poor you for being so naive, unintelligent and weak that you need to rely on non-sense religion to get through the day. If you ever finally found out the truth you probably wouldnt be able to handle it. So now who are really the people we should have pity for? Not Estonians

What is this so called truth that you are talking about with such an enthusiasm?
You are saying that God doesn't exist? Claiming so would need scientifical proof, and there is none available. I'm gonna have good laughs when you're desperately trying to prove that there's no God. :lol:

Not everyone who believes in God(s) is unintelligent, that's generalization and lacks proof so far, talk about being naive, huh? :p

I don't think this universe exists because of coincidence, and if that makes me stupid then so be it. :lol: :thumbsup:

Freewheel
2010-12-19, 16:14
Poor Estonians.

I have never claimed that Estonians=Russians.They just are less northern and less western than we, have never been protstants, joined voluntarily with christian world, perhaps believe soothsayers even less than we etc.

But, btw, generally all ex-soviets (excluding Poland, Romania) are relatively non-religious.

And are re they so religious if to compare them with the rest of world?

One can see the map

Janos
2010-12-19, 16:16
Disgusting that the most religous people nowadays are muslim countries.

Põhjamaalane
2010-12-19, 16:18
I have never claimed that Estonians=Russians.

Yes, you have.

They just are less northern and less western than we, have never been protstants, joined voluntarily with christian world, perhaps believe soothsayers even less than we etc.

Estonians do not believe in soothsayers, there aren't even any soothsayers in Estonia.

But, btw, generally all ex-soviets (excluding Poland, Romania) are relatively non-religious.

There are more exceptions than Poland and Romania.

And are re they so religious if to compare them with the rest of world?

One can see the map

If you look at pure percentages, then you would see that Estonians are considerably less religious than Eastern-Europeans.