PDA

View Full Version : What skin tone do North Indians (Bollywood stars) fall under?

Jgamibi
2011-04-06, 05:32
I just wonder, would it be considered Olive, high brown, plain brown, what?

Nigel
2011-04-06, 05:45
Some olive. some light brown, some even pink-ish. Some milky pale.

Nigel
2011-04-06, 05:54
Common complexion in Hindi actors.

Debian
2011-04-06, 06:18
Brown

Nigel
2011-04-06, 06:21
Brown

I'm pretty sure you haven't seen much Bollywood actors in your life.

Nigel
2011-04-06, 06:24
One of those rare pale ones, of Punjabi descent.

Nigel
2011-04-06, 06:34
A couple.

Bohecoa
2011-04-06, 06:42
The last ones would be seen as indio claro or just indio (lbrown) in my country.

Nigel
2011-04-06, 06:43
Bollywood Indian fashion designers.
On last pic in middle with European models.

Nigel
2011-04-06, 06:45
The last ones would be seen as indio claro or just indio (lbrown) in my country.

We don't care, and we don't care about Dominicans' opinion or whatever.
And "Indio" should refer to Indians from India only. Indians are from India not from South America or whatever.

jibarodepr
2011-04-06, 06:53
And "Indio" should refer to Indians from India only. Indians are from India not from South America or whatever.Thanks for trolling.

Nigel
2011-04-06, 06:55
You're welcome.

Bohecoa
2011-04-06, 06:58

jibarodepr
2011-04-06, 07:00

Nigel
2011-04-06, 07:01
Well it shouldn't. Indians are people that live near the river Indus. That is the original meaning of the word. Just because Columbus was confused whether he found India or not when he found Native Americans don't make you people Indian, just because he called you that.

And actually I shouldn't speak to YOU people. I'm not racist or anything but I couldn't care less about you lot. You're not Indians.

jibarodepr
2011-04-06, 07:03
And actually I shouldn't speak to YOU people. I'm not racist or anything but I couldn't care less about you lot.Contradicting much?

Tenochkatl
2011-04-06, 07:05
Many of those actors and celebrities are way lighter than your typical North Indian. Not saying lighter pigmented individuals do not occur among N. Indians at all, but they certainly are a minority.

These ones are more representative:

http://www.forumbiodiversity.com/showthread.php?t=14941

Luckybastard
2011-04-06, 07:05
:confused:

Nigel
2011-04-06, 07:07
Many of those actors and celebrities are way lighter than your typical North Indian. Not saying lighter pigmented individuals do not occur among N. Indians at all, but they certainly are a minority.

The topic was about Bollywood stars. We all know that certain individuals are hard to spot on TV. But don't act like you people have ever been to (North) India.

jibarodepr
2011-04-06, 07:07
the topic was about bollywood stars. We all know that certain individuals are hard to spot on tv. But don't act like you people have ever been to (north) india.lol!!

Luckybastard
2011-04-06, 07:08

Some of those women are very goodlooking..

Debian
2011-04-06, 07:09
Some of those women are very goodlooking..

They are like 0,1% of indian population though... ghandi types in the other hand are dime a dozen :ashamed:

Nigel
2011-04-06, 07:11
They are like 0,1% of indian population though... ghandi types in the other hand are dime a dozen :ashamed:

Haha, well what do you care. You're Spanish. We have more Miss World/ Universe winners then Spain. You don't know (North) India aswell, don't worry.

Tenochkatl
2011-04-06, 07:19
The topic was about Bollywood stars. We all know that certain individuals are hard to spot on TV. But don't act like you people have ever been to (North) India.

The topic is about the skin tone of North Indians, notice how 'Bollywood stars' was put in parentheses to clarify what type of Indians the OP is talking about.

And trust me, I've known and interacted with plenty of Indians from all regions (including the North), creeds, and caste backgrounds, as well as quite a few Pakistanis and Bangladeshis if I may add. I'd say I am pretty familiar with the spectrum even if I have not been to the country itself.

springreen
2011-04-06, 08:12
Haha, well what do you care. You're Spanish. We have more Miss World/ Universe winners then Spain. You don't know (North) India aswell, don't worry. Why do you react so negatively to someone insinuating Indians look like Gandhi? Isn't he one of your national heroes, one of the most well-known Indians around the globe? What's wrong with saying that most indians are brown-skinned like Gandhi? As opposed to the bollywood actors being posted here, who first of all aren't an accurate reflection of what most North Indians look like, and second, are only famous for dancing around in skimpy outfits. At least Gandhi is something you can be proud of.
The topic was about Bollywood stars. We all know that certain individuals are hard to spot on TV. But don't act like you people have ever been to (North) India.Right, because there are only like 1 Billion indians in the world, so chances are no one here has seen one... :D

To answer the question: I would say most are olive to light brown, some are medium brown and others are fair-skinned.

Vasishta
2011-04-06, 09:51
And "Indio" should refer to Indians from India only. Indians are from India not from South America or whatever.

Why this unnecessary rudeness? Bohecoa said nothing objectionable at all.

Anyway, one should have learned by now to ignore the certain rude individuals who are infesting this thread and that one should refrain from forming opinions on whole nationalities based on them as is the case on many threads on this forum.

On topic, Bollywood actors are for the most part best described as light brown, as they tend to be upper caste Indians from Punjab, but not as a thumb rule in any way. For example, Bollywood veterans who are renowned for their acting skills as opposed to solely their looks also came from other parts of India; such as Amitabh Bachchan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amitabh_Bachchan), a Kayastha from Uttar Pradesh and Shatrugan Sinha (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shatrughan_Sinha), also a Kayastha (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kayastha), albeit from Bihar. Generally however, Bollywood stars tend to be light brown skinned. This skin tone is a common shade for the upper castes of North West India - most Bollywood actors tend to hail from the said ethnics from the area. Here is a quote regarding the same-
The Natives of Northern India, by William Crooke (1907)

..Among the higher members of this race the skin-colour is a light transparent brown, wheat colored, as the people themselves describe it..The best representatives of this [Nord-Indid] type are found among the Brahmans of Kashmir, or the caste people of the Punjab, or the western desert [Pakistan]..
One must take into consideration that the upper castes of North West India such as the Brahmins and Khatris in modern times largely led a leisurely life, or rather a life that didn't require themselves to be exposed to the sun and other such climatic factors, while the generic inhabitants of Punjab did who were largely farmers and land owners. Thus, the general range in Punjab is more of a tanned light brown and a medium brown complexion, with a considerable portion even being tawny brown. This range applies even more so for Pakistan's Punjab region which is comparatively more diverse.

So while these actors might represent the skin color variation of an appreciable part of the North Western parts of South Asia - as Punjabis are the second largest ethnic group in South Asia - they do not represent generic North Indians i.e the Indo-Aryan speaking people of present day India.

The Hindi-belt (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hindi_Belt), or the Indo-Gangetic plains are the most populous parts of India. Thus, individuals such as the ones below are both typical for the area and typical for India as a whole. The most common recombination consists of the following characteristics, which is a gracile constitution; a tawny brown skin tone, generally long-limbed and strikingly leptomorphic. As far as morphological features are concerned from a typological perspective, most denizens of the Hindi belt are for the most part in between Indid (largely Gracile-Indid) and Weddid.

Jgamibi
2011-04-07, 00:24
The topic is about the skin tone of North Indians, notice how 'Bollywood stars' was put in parentheses to clarify what type of Indians the OP is talking about.

And trust me, I've known and interacted with plenty of Indians from all regions (including the North), creeds, and caste backgrounds, as well as quite a few Pakistanis and Bangladeshis if I may add. I'd say I am pretty familiar with the spectrum even if I have not been to the country itself.

You said you encountered them in America. Indians in America = Gujarat people and mainly South Indians. The North Indians I have met do have the Chinese skin tone, but then again I haven't met many.

Also with the pics posted, I did visit North India and the vast majority of the people I saw were way lighter than that.

Okay you guys want to inform me about skin color, I know what the skin color is but I can't describe it, that is the issue.

On a side note, it is rather funny. Indians promote light skin celebs everyone calls them self haters and wanna be whites, Southern Euros deny having darker features and being invaded by moors and no one comments.

Particula
2011-04-07, 00:29
You said you encountered them in America. Indians in America = Gujarat people and mainly South Indians. The North Indians I have met do have the Chinese skin tone, but then again I haven't met many.

Also with the pics posted, I did visit North India and the vast majority of the people I saw were way lighter than that.

Okay you guys want to inform me about skin color, I know what the skin color is but I can't describe it, that is the issue.

On a side note, it is rather funny. Indians promote light skin celebs everyone calls them self haters and wanna be whites, Southern Euros deny having darker features and being invaded by moors and no one comments.

S.Europeans are white.

Jgamibi
2011-04-07, 00:30
S.Europeans are white.

Yea just with darker features who have been invaded by Moors but you can't mention that, silence, just pretend that all have blonde hair and blue eyes.

jibarodepr
2011-04-07, 00:32
On a side note, it is rather funny. Indians promote light skin celebs everyone calls them self haters and wanna be whites, Southern Euros deny having darker features and being invaded by moors and no one comments.They do not deny having darker skin features but the Moorish blood in Southern Euros is minimal.I rather would call those who promote light skin wannabe Euros.Sothern Europeans despite having darker skin they are still Europeans.

Jgamibi
2011-04-07, 00:33
They do not deny having darker skin features but the Moorish blood in Southern Euros is minimal.I rather would call those who promote light skin wannabe Euros.Sothern Europeans despite having darker skin they are still Europeans.

Yes, Mario Bolatelli (spelling error most likely) is a European, I mean gosh he was born in Europe =)

Oh so you are calling East Asians, African Americans and others who admire lighter but not pale skin to be White wanna bes?

So if a White person gets a tan what do we call them? A wigger?

jibarodepr
2011-04-07, 00:38
Yes, Mario Bolatelli (spelling error most likely) is a European, I mean gosh he was born in Europe =)

Oh so you are calling East Asians, African Americans and others who admire lighter but not pale skin to be White wanna bes?

So if a White person gets a tan what do we call them? A wigger?If Mario Bolatelli is Italian, then yes, he is European.
If you mean the European type skin thern yes, they would be Euro admirer, if a person gets tanned, it is still European, a tanned one. ;)

rich86
2011-04-07, 00:46
Olive

Jgamibi
2011-04-07, 00:47
If Mario Bolatelli is Italian, then yes, he is European.
If you mean the European type skin thern yes, they would be Euro admirer, if a person gets tanned, it is still European, a tanned one. ;)

Nah, tanned Europeans = self haters brah.

Why they gotta hate they White roots so much?

I mean I am only saying I find it stupid when people put down Indians for wanting to be a fairer skin tone (though in reality they don't want to be pale but the yellow chinese skin color) but we can use the same logic to say Europeans who get tans or Whites who get tans are self hating wiggers.

---------- Post added 2011-04-06 at 18:47 ----------

Olive

That honor belongs to Southern Europeans sir, do not compare them with those hideous non-Whites they hate so much. Thank you.

springreen
2011-04-07, 00:47
You seem to have this strange obsession with Meds and their skin tones/hair/eye color, you bring it up constantly in your posts.
On a side note, it is rather funny. Indians promote light skin celebs everyone calls them self haters and wanna be whites, Southern Euros deny having darker features and being invaded by moors and no one comments. Except that Southern Euros don't deny having darker features or being invaded by Moors. In my experience, most of them pride themselves on their appearance and ability to tan. I've also never heard a Med "deny" Moorish invasions; no one who knows anything about Euro history will deny it. Sure some people in real life will probably give you a WTF look if you mention it, but only because they're ignorant about history, which sadly many Americans are.
You seem very intent on "proving" the Moors invaded Italy/Spain (as if anyone denies it) as if to prove that somehow makes them less "white" or something like that.

Indians on the other hand, clearly have some deep rooted issues about skin color within their own race, probably due to a combination of: Invasions from the Mideast/Central Asia, Caste system, socioeconomic divide between North/South and outdoor laborers vs nobility, British Colonialism, and god knows what else.
The fact that so many Indian posters (such as yourself) constantly start threads relating to skin tone doesn't help the stereotype.

ethioboy
2011-04-07, 00:51
I'm pretty sure you haven't seen much Bollywood actors in your life.

your not white

and to answer the question.. I'd say brown. on the lighter side of things, with the occasional pale skinned and darker brown skinned

Jgamibi
2011-04-07, 00:59
Springreen, well obviously you don't know about Northern Italians putting down Southern Italians, welcome to America in fact we have Northern Whites putting down Southen Whites for being rednecks (supposedly).

As for Italians denying having darker features, in fact, a large majority I have met do deny that. A lot even talk about how "Nordic" everyone in Italy looks oh and bring up they were taken by moors, they will punch you in the fact or start yelling at you for it.

Everyone wants to make it sound like us Indians are exclusive with our behavior, like us Indians are the only ones putting down folks for having darker skin. SURE, lets pretend Southern Euros don't throw bananas and peanuts at Black soccer players, nope, in fact they love Black people there, just ask Eto.

I just find it hilarious everyone wants to pin down Indians for "self hatred" when common behaviors happen everywhere, even in the US, you have Blacks bragging about being "redbones". In Latin American countries you have a skin color caste system, in Italy you have similar things happening between folks up North and folks down south.

Americans up North think EVERYONE down south is a dumb redneck.

I am not saying Indians don't do what you accuse them of doing but the exact things nearly every race or ethnicity does. I am trying to cure a curiosity as to what skin color range an Indian would fall under.

Luckybastard
2011-04-07, 01:19
Springreen, well obviously you don't know about Northern Italians putting down Southern Italians, welcome to America in fact we have Northern Whites putting down Southen Whites for being rednecks (supposedly).

As for Italians denying having darker features, in fact, a large majority I have met do deny that. A lot even talk about how "Nordic" everyone in Italy looks oh and bring up they were taken by moors, they will punch you in the fact or start yelling at you for it.

Everyone wants to make it sound like us Indians are exclusive with our behavior, like us Indians are the only ones putting down folks for having darker skin. SURE, lets pretend Southern Euros don't throw bananas and peanuts at Black soccer players, nope, in fact they love Black people there, just ask Eto.I just find it hilarious everyone wants to pin down Indians for "self hatred" when common behaviors happen everywhere, even in the US, you have Blacks bragging about being "redbones". In Latin American countries you have a skin color caste system, in Italy you have similar things happening between folks up North and folks down south.

Americans up North think EVERYONE down south is a dumb redneck.

I am not saying Indians don't do what you accuse them of doing but the exact things nearly every race or ethnicity does. I am trying to cure a curiosity as to what skin color range an Indian would fall under.

Someone's frustrated..I live in Southern europe, and have many black friends, but they never have that problem with the peanuts and bananas:p

rich86
2011-04-07, 01:23
I think it's fine if Indians try to have fairer skin tone (olive). It's typical for males to prefer women of lighter skin complexion. However, I find it problematic if Indians claim to look more 'European' due to fairer skin tone because they are not of European ancestry. I also find it problematic that Bollywood selects to present to the world only the fairest skinned Indians or the Indians with the most Europoid-esque features because the majority of Indians have brown skin. Not only is this misrepresentation of India, but the self-esteem of Indian people (males and females) is negatively impacted because they do not meet the ideal standard of beauty that the Indian media imposes on them. It cannot be psychologically healthy for the majority of Indian people because their own media is implying to them that they are not beautiful. I find this frustrating to think about.

Jgamibi
2011-04-07, 01:25
Rich, well think about Americans exclusively picking Whites (with a black here and there) for major lead roles in movies when it is such a diverse country.

springreen
2011-04-07, 01:30
Springreen, well obviously you don't know about Northern Italians putting down Southern Italians, welcome to America in fact we have Northern Whites putting down Southen Whites for being rednecks (supposedly).I don't know too much about Italian culture so i can't comment on that I'm afraid.

As for calling Southerners rednecks, if you're American you'll know why that is, we all have stereotypes of each other - Southerners are rednecks, East Coasters are snobbish, West Coasters are hippies, MidWesterners are a bunch of corn fed bible-belters, etc etc...

Everyone wants to make it sound like us Indians are exclusive with our behavior, like us Indians are the only ones putting down folks for having darker skin. SURE, lets pretend Southern Euros don't throw bananas and peanuts at Black soccer players, nope, in fact they love Black people there, just ask Eto.Italians throwing bananas at Blacks is racism. Indians discriminating against other Indians for dark skin isn't racism, because they're the same race.

Also I think you're getting too offended if you think everyone is just trying to put down Indians here. If we brought up discrimination in Europe, would you assume we're just bashing Europeans? Or racism, slavery, Jim Crow laws, segregation, etc in America? The whole point of an Anthro forum is to discuss that kind of stuff and explore the reasons behind it. If you make up threads about Indians and their skin tones, naturally people are going to discuss it. If you made a similar topic about Latin Americans you'd see the same thing but you take it too seriously and think people are just trying to bash you or something idk.

rich86
2011-04-07, 01:53
Rich, well think about Americans exclusively picking Whites (with a black here and there) for major lead roles in movies when it is such a diverse country.

Both are frustrating, but I think India is being unfair to it's own people because they don't look European enough to be considered beautiful. I can't imagine how it is for Indian girls to regard themselves as ugly or unattractive because they don't look European enough for India's standards. And in America there is a lot of famous African American, Latino, and Asian actors as well as white actors...can't really compare the populations of America to India.

Jgamibi
2011-04-07, 02:02
spring: you got thanked for being reasonable

as for rich: I have seen Bollywood movies in which they have casted dark skinned actors, even as the macho guys. Honestly enough though, neither Indians or well, anyone, is attracted to dark skin bro. In general that is, even among Blacks there is a competition among men to try and get with a "redbone".

Slavic Knight
2011-05-12, 16:48
They look too White to be Indian... I always assumed all Indians looked like bollywood stars until I went to college, and out of the ~10,000 I've met, maybe two or three of them looked as Caucasian as your average bollywood star.

They have a dark-olive/light brown skin color. Some are as "white" as Southern-Euros, but most are a bit too dark to pass for South-Euro.

ducktard
2011-12-20, 08:09
My skin tone.

Dave
2011-12-20, 08:16
I wouldnt be surprised if there wasn't some sort of Russian gene flow going into India, where else would they get those grey eyes

asingh
2011-12-20, 08:21
^^
Whom you referring to with gray eyes.

ducktard
2011-12-20, 08:31
^^
Whom you referring to with gray eyes.

Yeah, who?

Dave
2011-12-20, 08:52
this lady looks like she has grey eyes, but maybe I'm mistaken http://www.forumbiodiversity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=69336&d=1302065005

ducktard
2011-12-20, 08:58
this lady looks like she has grey eyes, but maybe I'm mistaken http://www.forumbiodiversity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=69336&d=1302065005

Yes, she does!
He does too, even if it's not apparent in the pic.
google.co.in/m/imgres?client=ms-opera-mini&q=Sumit+vats&channel=new&start=1&site=images&imgid=ANd9GcRioDpMJut6Zr5wYUmLsQr4Ao_yaNoSUyjGeYso 0B5QE4CxoKkgZZunNw&imgsz=3579&imgurl=http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-VYU16xC3Oqg/TeNn_CAwHWI/AAAAAAAAFvw/zhZCkSQs2kc/s200/Sumit%2BVats.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.techtipspro.com/2011/05/sumit-vats-as-jimmy-jockey-in-mukti.html&ht=153&wd=101&tbnh=96&tbnw=63&ei=lz_wTvjDBoTZiQK4aw&ved=0CAsQ9QEwAQ

asingh
2011-12-20, 10:30

Is she Indian though..?

Gungnir
2011-12-20, 11:07
Is she Indian though..?

She doesn't look Indian to me. Not that I am an authority on the subject.

mac
2011-12-26, 13:57
Is she Indian though..?

That's Priya Kataria (Punjabi I think) and she looks paler than average there. She works in the Indian fashion industry to my knowledge.