PDA

View Full Version : Do you pray or attend to church?

sean
2011-09-15, 03:30
Do you pray or attend to church?
Do you pray before meals?

Edwards Aguiar
2011-09-15, 03:35
I believe in God.

More I do not pray before or after eating.

I do not frequent any church.

In the church there are many people false and hypocritical, thinking that going to church go to heaven.

I need not go to church to talk to God, I can talk to him in my house

Ubirajara
2011-09-15, 03:37
No I don't. I actually don't know how people can truly believe in it, unless they are pretending to do it, which I guess a large number of them do. Religious stories sound like fairy tales to me, but with a worse taste.

Kwestos
2011-09-15, 03:40
Unfortunatelly, I cannot make myself to believe in God. I try my best, but nothing. I was very religious till the age of 14 or so, I I hope prayed for all my llife back then, next dose is probably on my deathbed.

Maroon King
2011-09-15, 03:41
No I don't. I actually don't know how people can truly believe in it, unless they are pretending to do it, which I guess a large number of them do. Religious stories sound like fairy tales to me, but with a worse taste.

I thought you'd be up in the Candomble house :)

jr1
2011-09-15, 03:42
I don't pray, sometimes I sort of beg for mercy internally, e.g. "Please don't let so and so happen", but I am directing it to no-one in particular, certainly not to God. I don't know why I bother, sometimes the bad thing happens sometimes it doesn't, there is certainly no relationship between how much I plead and the likelihood of the thing happening.

I reckon if there is a God prayers go straight into his spam folder along with advertisements for penis enlargement. Without being too flippant I do have to wonder why anyone thinks they are so special to this being they imagine to exist up in the sky. No offence.

Esther
2011-09-15, 03:43
I stopped praying since a couple of months ago since I am not sure if there actually is a God and that sort of thing (keeping it simple). And I haven't gone to church since my father's burial which was 11 years ago.

jr1
2011-09-15, 03:45
Unfortunatelly, I cannot make myself to believe in God. I try my best, but nothing. I was very religious till the age of 14 or so, I I hope prayed for all my llife back then, next dose is probably on my deathbed.

I had some shooting pains in my chest not long ago, convinced I was going to die within seconds I thought, "I really should have apologised to [someone I know] about that, I don't want to die without saying I'm sorry", but once the pains passed I went back to doing whatever I was doing and still have yet to make amends with said individual.

Edwards Aguiar
2011-09-15, 03:45
In Brazil many people are macumbeira, unfortunately.

So I say that Brazil is not a Catholic country.

I've been an atheist, but my personal experiences have proven that God exists.

I have no religion, but I believe in God.

jr1
2011-09-15, 03:46
I stopped praying since a couple of months ago since I am not sure if there actually is a God and that sorts of thing (keeping it simple). And I haven't gone to church since my father's burial which was 11 years ago.

Sorry to hear about your dad.

I go to Church for funerals, weddings & Christenings and out of respect for those around me I bow my head in prayer, say 'Amen' and recite the Lord's prayer but I don't feel anything come over me when I do it.

Ubirajara
2011-09-15, 03:48
I sympathise with it only from the cultural point of view, African mythology, etc. But I have never been to one nor do I intend to.

I thought you'd be up in the Candomble house :)

Loxias
2011-09-15, 03:50
I tried believing earlier in my life, out of a need for transcendance.
But was never able to understand how the concept of faith is rationally sustainable.

A steady and long term practice of rituals might lead to experiences that trump rationality, granting access to a more spiritual understanding, and therefore allowing faith.
It's a bet I have decided not to take, because it would cut me away from my socio-cultural ties, because I don't need it to be happy and satisfied with life, because I find the scientific method most satisfying in describing the workings of the universe and most especially because most religious institutions appear to me as outdated power structures, rather than means for spiritual growth.

So no, I never attend church. I was baptised as catholic, did sunday school for a year, and never performed communion.

Esther
2011-09-15, 03:52
Sorry to hear about your dad.

I go to Church for funerals, weddings & Christenings and out of respect for those around me I bow my head in prayer, say 'Amen' and recite the Lord's prayer but I don't feel anything come over me when I do it.

Thank you =) I know exactly how you feel. When I went to Curacao about three months ago, it was very uncomfortable for me when my mom would tell me to pray to God, and I'd nod and she'd be like: I'm serious, you shouldn't forget to say thank you..etc.

And it became even more obvious to me as to how often God would be mentioned, though I think I'm experiencing it like that because I'm going through this "phase", maybe later it won't be so uncomfortable regardless of what I decide to believe in.

sean
2011-09-15, 03:53
Only during Festivities (Christmas, Holy Week)

Never, unless i have guests and they wish to pray.

AstralGirl
2011-09-15, 03:54

Very true religion is a story its not true, religion is oppression (we are all sinners according to god) bs come on how can people still believe that???

Johnny Blaze
2011-09-15, 03:54
I believe in God but I don't follow any RELIGION. I still like to pray though because it some how makes me more relaxed and optimistic.

Kwestos
2011-09-15, 03:55
I remember a joke, not very good one, but to the subject.
A man fell out of a window on 25th floor. He is going down and scared he prays 'oh God please rescue me, I promise I wont drink, I wont smoke, I wont swear, please God".
Safely he lands on the ground, he gets up and says "ah, weird things come to mind when one is in fear ".

---------- Post added 2011-09-15 at 03:57 ----------

Only during Festivities (Christmas, Holy Week)

Never, unless i have guests and they wish to pray.

or a jewish girlfriend comes around:D

Esther
2011-09-15, 03:57
I believe in God but I don't follow any RELIGION. I still like to pray though because it some how makes me more relaxed and opitimistic.

That's how I used to be. Though I am/was technically Catholic, but I would pray every day and "talk" to God, despite not attending church.

adamo90
2011-09-15, 03:57
Ive attended church all my life and used do pray sometimes. But I'm starting to doubt my faith.

Edwards Aguiar
2011-09-15, 04:00
Esther:

The fact that his father had died not mean that God does not exist

I hope that God enlighten your path, Esther, to prove to you that you're wrong, just as God showed me.

Ubirajara:

Are you sympathetic to African mythology and is not macumbeiro(camdomblé)?

I think you are disguised macumbeiro

Kwestos
2011-09-15, 04:04
I have been talking to God for 30 years, but he has never said a word back.

Esther
2011-09-15, 04:05
Esther:

The fact that his father had died not mean that God does not exist

I hope that God enlighten your path, Esther, to prove to you that you're wrong, just as God showed me.

Ubirajara:

Actually my father's death has nothing to do with it, it's recently that I have questioned God's existence and in this very moment do not believe in it at all. There have been other factors that have contributed to my recent reasoning and my father's death isn't one of them, if anything his death only made my faith stronger back then.

Ubirajara
2011-09-15, 04:07
I just find it interesting and original, from the cultural point of view. At least it is not stolen from other peoples holy scriptures, like Christianity did with Judaism. ;)

As I said I've never been to one, nor do I intend to, nor the thought of going to one has ever crossed my mind.

Ubirajara:

Outlaw
2011-09-15, 04:11
I attended my mother's Mormon baptism last year. Prior to that my grandfather's funeral in Germany in '95.
I took religious classes as a kid but became not interested in religious matters when I came to the States. There were times when I prayed because of things happening to me and those around me but I was never fully convinced if there was a God. Perhaps later in life I'll return to christianity.

Edwards Aguiar
2011-09-15, 04:21
Ubirajra:

Christianity is much more interesting than Camdomblé.

In the Christianity there are no rituals to kill people, there are no rituals to harm someone

I prefer one religion's copied from holy scriptures an original religion macabre

Mike the Jedi
2011-09-15, 04:25
Do you pray?

No, it's a complete waste of time.

attend to church?

No, I'm an atheist.

When I'm in the company of family, I will feign grace just out of respect for the tradition. It makes me feel like an anthropologist out in the bush "doing as the Romans do."

Surreal
2011-09-15, 04:26
i do go to church ... but the purpose i do it is just to checkout the architecture from time to time...

windmill
2011-09-15, 04:28
i do pray but i cant say i am very religious because i am pretty liberal for a christian but i feel secure when it comes to faith

Multilingual
2011-09-15, 07:11
I pray every night before I sleep, but not actual prayers like Our Father, just wishes and blessings for people.

Boots
2011-09-15, 07:12
I just doubt using his namer in vain as a cuzz word counts as a prayer though!

Pale Blonde
2011-09-15, 07:24
I'm an agnostic. I used to go against my parents when I was little with my skepticism but when the magic of christmas came around I started to believe it unfortunately. :lol: Suprisingly, when I was a teenager I prayed for a lot of things, and I eventually got them by strokes of luck which is only what makes me question my atheism. If there is a God, I'm sure he seriously pities me for my internal conflicts and doesn't think I've done much wrong. But no, I can't really and truly say I believe in a God or pray at this point because there is just so little proof suggesting it.

Has anyone else ever felt like they've gotten what they prayed for 9/10 in some form or another? I mostly prayed for a lot of social things and to reach certain goals. I'm not suggesting anything paranormal, just think there might be something psychological in it.

Magavariko
2011-09-15, 09:40
No, no and no.

Has anyone else ever felt like they've gotten what they prayed for 9/10 in some form or another? I mostly prayed for a lot of social things and to reach certain goals. I'm not suggesting anything paranormal, just think there might be something psychological in it.

It depends on the "success" probability you are praying for and you are an active agent about it. But it's nothing more than probability. It is easier -although equally irrational- to become a believer if you win the lotto than if you pray for keeping alive the next day on normal circumstances or for scoring a goal on next weekend match.

ageladakos
2011-09-15, 09:50
well, in school we had to pray each day before the lessons began.
not much, just the "our father" which is quite short, but still.
i guess that backfires and thus i don't really know anyone who does pray :P
older generations had to also attend church in sundays.

anyway, i allmost not pray at all, only in very rare occasions.
allthought i tend to visit small charges in the middle of nowhere and light the candles and that good smelling stuff.

When I'm in the company of family, I will feign grace just out of respect for the tradition. It makes me feel like an anthropologist out in the bush "doing as the Romans do."

you actualy say pater emon? :P
even in my grandmas house that she does believe alot, we just do the sign of the cross once lol

Jusarius
2011-09-15, 09:54
When I was five years old, I found out that santa doesn't really exist and that my uncle was only wearing a mask and clothes. I was never religious although I prayed a few times as a child. As a teenager I started thinking that Jesus and the heavenly father are the santa for adults so I resigned from the church. So no I don't pray or go to the church unless a relative or a friend is getting married for example.

Day Tripper
2011-09-15, 09:55

Only for weddings and funerals.

No, but if I did I'd thank the farmers, animals, workers, etc. The ones who deserve credit, not a mythological entity.

---------- Post added 2011-09-15 at 04:56 ----------

When I was five years old, I found out that santa doesn't really exist and that my uncle was only wearing a mask and clothes. I was never religious although I prayed a few times as a child. As a teenager I started thinking that Jesus and the heavenly father are the santa for adults so I resigned from the church. So no I don't pray or go to the church unless a relative or a friend is getting married for example.

Yeah, I called my parents out on the Santa thing when I noticed that Santa remarkably used the same wrapping paper and even had the same handwriting. ;)

Laksmi
2011-09-15, 12:11
I don't pray much and I don't go to church either....like ever! Only times I ever go to church would be for weddings, funerals, baptisms etc but that's also very far and few that I would go. I'm baptized as a Christian but I don't consider myself one at all, there's a lot about Christianity that I disagree with.

I do believe in God though, very much.

Kwestos
2011-09-15, 12:17
I believe that prayers can have real impact on people's life, psychologically. The thing is, you need to believe.

larali
2011-09-15, 12:44
Well I have a family, so we have a semi-formal dinner routine, where we pray before meals. I also pray with my girls before bed. They go with their Daddy to church and Sunday School. As for myself, I like to pray-- it makes me feel good-- but I don't do it much, in honesty. I'm about as Christian as a thinking person can be, but I was raised on religion and I intend to carry on the tradition with my kids. I think it's just a good way to teach morals and character development.

Hybrid99
2011-09-15, 13:27
When I was a child, my mom used to take me to the sunday school every week, without exeptions. My mom is a devout christian, and my dad is a rather radical minded muslim. My dad often took me to the mosque with him and put me to Qu'ran school, which I hated cause it was damn boring to just sit tight and listen (I got ADHD). My dad likes to believe that his son is a muslim, but i think deep down he knows that i don't give a rat's ass about Islam, so he loves to preach all that propaganda about Islam being "the only way to God", or whatever. :lol:

I used to be very religious, but when i turned 16 I begun to question my faith and i became more philosophical in my beliefs, and nowadays I consider myself more of an Agnostic Christian than a "bible-thumper". :)

I do pray every day, because it gives hope and positivity, although I am not too sure whether God really hears my prayers or not. When it comes to Morale, I tend to be quite liberal. :D

Boots
2011-09-15, 15:00
well my parents weren't christians and as a little I went to church all by myself. then when I was 12 my dad became a christian.... well enough to start going to church anyway.
so then I had a ride to church and camp and such .
but the truth is I had been too Ezekial's temple before I new it was in the bible. maybe I was around 10 maybe a little older.
I saw the fire balls fall from the sky, long before I realized those might be( the stars falling from the sky) that God talks about at the end of the bible.
I also saw something done to the earth so bizarre I still can't explain it and have spent years trying to understand it . it was definitely some nasty cosmic something . but it is in there and it has been here before . when I had that dream I didn't know if it was future or if it was the past. I now think it was both..
I now suspect like Him, that his dreams can also BE,( WAS, IS and WILL BE ), and the beginning and the end and everything in between..
I know he is real , and that he is more real than any of us. and that our lease on this place is good because he is lawful . and that he is full of mercy , even if I "go to hell" I will be thanking him the whole way. I will deem it merciful because I now understand some of bottom line basics that people really don't want to know, so they don't ask him those questions !
or maybe they ask those questions but sure don't wait for an answers. sometimes we have to change in order to hear a thing. if your ears are broke..
So it seems they tell him what they want him to be , and that point it becomes a very short one way conversation, of course that isn't going to work out for them very well.
He never wanted followers, he never ask for followers. as soon as they hit MT sinai he asked them all to come up to be with him .. they didn't want a REAL GOD! moses didn't want them to have a REAL GOD. and they were content with that kind of relationship.

He has always only wanted family. he wanted ongoing relationship, and relationships are about give and take back and forth.. I know he is real !
He been showing me things since I was ten.. things there is no way I could dream up and be the source of it .
I never HEAR HIM! .. some people do hear him .. I suspect my hearing is broke.. but my eyes seem to work good. so he uses what he can?

so I like eye witnesses and I believe in what other people of old saw! my ancestors or any one ancestors for that matter ..
and I find no value at all in what this generation thinks it sees or doesn't think it sees.

timmay
2011-09-15, 15:02
I go to church on Christmas as a community thing, but nothing else. I also go to church for community events-but that doesn't count

Kwestos
2011-09-15, 15:36
btw
France just banned public prayers.

It is half-officialy aimed at practices like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ijRHfx9TcOw

Incanal
2011-09-15, 15:51
^^ Good move. I just hope it's not only a law written on paper and that they will enforce it eventually.

Kwestos
2011-09-15, 15:56
Of course very good move. Public space is a a neutral secular space and some rules should apply.

Loxias
2011-09-15, 15:58
omg u guise or liek soooo racist for saying that.

Kwestos
2011-09-15, 16:00
omg u guise or liek soooo racist for saying that.

??? what i didnt get it sir?

Loxias
2011-09-15, 16:11
??? what i didnt get it sir?

I was being sarcastic in the worst of ways. Many people claim that being against prayers in the street like that is racist.

Kwestos
2011-09-15, 16:19
I was being sarcastic in the worst of ways. Many people claim that being against prayers in the street like that is racist.

I thought so, that you were being sarcasitc, I didnt get the meaning of words, but checked in Dict:)

Yeah, if being against a prayer in the street is racist, what is praying in the street in front of non-believers. Sign of respect? Its much worse racism.

Loxias
2011-09-15, 16:26
The counter argument is that if the state built enough mosques (or allowed enough mosques to be built), this wouldn't happen.

Kwestos
2011-09-15, 17:06
The counter argument is that if the state built enough mosques (or allowed enough mosques to be built), this wouldn't happen.

yes ther are even wrose troubles coming into play.
I think state does not even support churches, so why mosques? allow to build more? Why not, if it does not collide with local architecture and local citizens, for money of the muslims.

OldPretan
2011-09-16, 15:10
You're clearly sane, Kwestos.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Szasz

Szasz wrote: "If you talk to God, you are praying; If God talks to you, you have schizophrenia."

I was sent to Sunday school by my fanatic Xian father but it never stuck. Apart from the odd wedding I've not been in a church since I was 13.
Philosophical neo-pagan atheist. If you like imaginary friends go with those of your ancestors, not some foreign import.

---------- Post added 2011-09-16 at 15:14 ----------

But I thought he lived in N. Finland with the Saami.

---------- Post added 2011-09-16 at 15:17 ----------

I go to church on Christmas as a community thing, but nothing else. I also go to church for community events-but that doesn't count

Timmay, I thought you were a lapsed Muzzie.

jr1
2011-09-16, 15:19
You're clearly sane, Kwestos.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Szasz

I was sent to Sunday school by my fanatic Xian father but it never stuck. Apart from the odd wedding I've not been in a church since I was 13.
Philosophical neo-pagan atheist. If you like imaginary friends go with those of your ancestors, not some foreign import.

---------- Post added 2011-09-16 at 15:14 ----------

But I thought he lived in N. Finland with the Saami.

Szasz is a slippery bastard though, I think he saw tackling the concept of mental illness as a philosophical victory more than anything; I don't think he doubts some people hallucinate or have delusional beliefs he was just trying to make a point about the flimsy philosophical grounding of psychology.

His pronouncements about psychology are the same as someone saying there is no such thing as having a high temperature because there is no way to define a cut-off point, or that everyone's cells divide so there is no such thing as cancer.

OldPretan
2011-09-16, 15:35
Szasz is a slippery bastard though, I think he saw tackling the concept of mental illness as a philosophical victory more than anything; I don't think he doubts some people hallucinate or have delusional beliefs he was just trying to make a point about the flimsy philosophical grounding of psychology.

His pronouncements about psychology are the same as someone saying there is no such thing as having a high temperature because there is no way to define a cut-off point, or that everyone's cells divide so there is no such thing as cancer.

I don't take him as gospel, at his time of writing the psychological model was in vogue but in the 40 odd years since then neuroscience has shown the organic bases for affective and cognitive disorders. He did say that were schizophrenia shown to have a physiological basis it should then be regarded in the same way as fex. diabetes.
He was right about "drug addicts" in Ceremonial Chemistry (1973).

Our right to drugs: Drug addiction is not a "disease" to be cured through legal drugs (Methadone instead of heroin; which forgets that heroin was created in the first place to be a substitute to morphine, which in turn was created as a substitute to opium), but a social habit. Szasz also argues in favor of a drugs free-market. He criticized the war on drugs, arguing that using drugs was in fact a victimless crime. Prohibition itself constituted the crime. He shows how the war on drugs leads states to do things that would have never been considered half a century before, such as prohibiting a person from ingesting certain substances or interfering in other countries to impede the production of certain plants (e.g. coca eradication plans, or the campaigns against opium; both are traditional plants opposed by the Western world). Although Szasz is skeptical about the merits of psychotropic medications, he favors the repeal of drug prohibition.

jr1
2011-09-16, 15:46
I don't take him as gospel, at his time of writing the psychological model was in vogue but in the 40 odd years since then neuroscience has shown the organic bases for affective and cognitive disorders. He did say that were schizophrenia shown to have a physiological basis it should then be regarded in the same way as fex. diabetes.
He was right about "drug addicts" in Ceremonial Chemistry (1973).

I don't dispute that he was writing at a very different time, his seminal book 'The Myth of Mental Illness' was published in 1960, obviously a lot has changed in the last 51 years. However, I don't know whether he thought his work had any practical applications, except for eliminating involuntary committment where the person hasn't committed a criminal offence (I agree with him here btw). Everything of his I have read, which is not a great deal to be truthful, smacks of an academic exercise; a though experiment rather than anything substantial and applicable.

To return to the quote from him regarding prayer and auditory halluciantions, there is a difference between psychosis and magical thinking, praying to God and then observing the results and chalking it up to God's work is one thing; believing God issues you with commands, commands which you hear, is something else.
Arguably believing in God is delusional, since there is so much evidence to the contrary; but mass delusion is not a delusion at all.;)

Neuroscience still doesn't explain why X causes Y, they can say, "Schizophrenics have larger ventricles than non-schizophrenics" or "Psychopaths have smaller amygdalas" and they can say what this leads to, but they can't say why. They work backwards, they observe the difference between schizophrenics or manic depressives or narcissists and a control group and then try to explain how the difference causes the problem.

Although I do believe they can induce schizophrenia-like symptoms using chemicals, so I suppose that means schizophrenia should pass Szasz's disease test. Something like Paranoid Personality Disorder probably wouldn't though.

Artūrs
2011-09-16, 16:15
I go to church, like 2 times a year. But its more like a family tradition.

Ioke
2011-09-16, 16:48
Nope...probably just once or twice a year now. Only during birthdays, Christmas or weddings.

Personally, I think prayer shouldn't be confined to a specific place...as long as I have my heart and my mind in prayer, God will still listen to me.

J. B.
2011-09-16, 19:02
I consider myself of the Christian faith, but frankly, I have become lukewarm within the past couple of years, and I know it. I don't attend church as often as I used to, nor do I pray as often as I should, but I'm aware of it. What this means for me, is that I am going to have to make more of an effort to be an authentic Christian. If one cannot live as an example of the lifestyle they endorse, largely speaking, then changes should be made.

timmay
2011-09-18, 08:02
Timmay, I thought you were a lapsed Muzzie.

I am but I live in a Christian town, it's more about seeing the peeps of the community than actually attending mass-plus, people appreciate the gesture (most of them are as Christian as I am in all honesty).

truck
2011-09-18, 08:44
The christian religion is deep seated in my culture.

So yes, I do pray. But I attend church only when I can because I am ausually busy right through out my weekends.