PDA

View Full Version : Socotra belongs to Somalia not Yemen

Excel
2010-03-29, 03:19
Would anyone agree? Of course Somalia would first have to regain stability and peace before this issue could begin to be raised. This issue would evidently remain unimportant until main land territories occupied by neighboring countries are returned.
Some of you could disagree but the fact is that Socotra is far closer to Somalia than Yemen and Yemen never had any sort of authority over Socotra until 1967.
There is a significant Somali population that had lived in the Island for hundred of years. Although the island does not primarily speak Somali however nor does it speak Arabic but the old Semetic Mahra tongue.

The fact is that Socotra is just too close to Somalia to allow a country such as Yemen to retain it. If Yemen decides to build a huge naval force in this Island, it could have a huge impact on mainland Somalia's own security.
What makes these four islands worth fighting for is its rich unique plant biodiversity , a wealth of plants and trees that one would never find on any other part of this world.

riser
2010-03-29, 04:37
It seems the majority of the inhabitants are of peninsular origin, as is their culture and history. Some number of Somali sailors are fairly recent arrivals. The only reason Yemen didn't control Socotra directly until 1967, is because both Yemen and Socotra were under British control until 1967. And before British control, Socotra was a part of the Mahra Sultanate, which was based in a region of Yemen.

Socotra was one of the last holdouts of Nestorian Christians in the region, but finally they were converted to Islam.

Geographical proximity is not a strong basis for ownership, not when compared to the demographic, cultural, and historical ties the Islands have with Yemen.

Vorador
2010-03-29, 13:42
The fact is that Socotra is just too close to Somalia to allow a country such as Yemen to retain it. If Yemen decides to build a huge naval force in this Island, it could have a huge impact on mainland Somalia's own security.

Perhaps it's better for the islands to become a base of the Yemeni Navy than of the PL pirates? And, they are not very close to Somalia, either.

Excel
2010-03-29, 20:43
The distance between Socotra and Somalia is just 80 kilometers while the distance between Yemen and Soctra is 380 kilometers. The islands separated from the Horn of Africa some 6 million years ago.
Whats really interesting to me, was that when i recently visited eastern Somalia. I noticed the strange dry plants and vegetation kinda looked in many ways very similar to the vegetation in Socotra. Of course Socotra has far more breathtaking plant biodiversity thanks to the islands isolation and unique process of speciation. Hopefully when i return to Somalia this year, i shall ensure to take pictures of the interesting plant life that is reminiscent of Socotra's vegetation
Is it not a great shame that these great Islands of the Horn to be claimed by a country such as Yemen.

Eritrea went to war with Yemen over the Hanish Islands, which had earlier up until 1995 been inhabited only by a handful of Yemeni fishermen. And the Hanish Islands had earlier been governed by Yemen just as long as Socotra. Yemen has in fact more right to the Hanish Islands than Socotra, considering that the Hanish Islands are far closer to Yemen than distant Socotra

Cirith Ungol
2010-03-29, 21:08
I already answered this in the Beautiful Somali Coast (https://www.forumbiodiversity.com/showthread.php?t=1824&page=5) topic:

Bajuni Islands are part of Somalia. As for Socotra's future, I think the Soqrotis should decide for themselves, it was never a Somali dominated island anyways, there were more Somalis settled in places like Jizan, Mocha and Aden historically than Socrotra itself. The place was a buffer between potential invaders coming from the Indian Ocean like the Portuguese and mainland Somalia. We have plenty of beautiful lagoons, islands and beaches in Somalia, lets not be greedy, i think conflict with Yemen is another area the British hoped to drag Somalia in, but even with the largest military in the region, there was no incentive to invade that tiny island, and in that scenario the Yemeni government engulfed in a civil war would not have been able to do anything about it, so if we didn't do it then, why in the future?

Yemen was never a threat, and will never be a threat, they have been a friendly nation for a long time, regardless of the one episode of the Southern Communist Yemeni State allying itself with the Soviets in the Ogaden War.

Vorador
2010-03-30, 10:04
The distance between Socotra and Somalia is just 80 kilometers while the distance between Yemen and Soctra is 380 kilometers. Well, the distance between Somalia and the island of Socotra is much more than 80km, and I think it is more than 200 kilometers, in fact.

Is it not a great shame that these great Islands of the Horn to be claimed by a country such as Yemen.
Well, Yemen is a country at least.

Some of you could disagree but the fact is that Socotra is far closer to Somalia than Yemen and Yemen never had any sort of authority over Socotra until 1967.
There is a significant Somali population that had lived in the Island for hundred of years. Although the island does not primarily speak Somali however nor does it speak Arabic but the old Semetic Mahra tongue.

IMHO, the islands have been controlled by and politically unified with Hadhramaut for centuries. Certainly not only in recent times.

Graeme
2010-03-30, 10:39
Distance isn't everything. Otherwise Britain should give Spain back Gibraltar, and Spain should give back those chunks of North Africa to Morocco. And Italy should give some of those islands near Tunisia back to Tunisia. Oh, isn't a Greek island the closest piece of Europe to Africa, give that back to Libya or Egypt. France has lots of overseas territories: Tahiti, New Caledonia... Is independence in order.

Joking aside, Socotra has connections to Yemen, racial connections, and those high Y chromosome J* haplogroup, Socotran men's ancestors came from South Arabia, either Yemen or Oman. As to the language spoken in Socotra, it was once the language spoken in Yemen before they got Islam, and discovered that Fusha was God's spoken tongue! Despite what Arabians say, Classical Arabic does not come from South Arabia.

Ferej
2010-04-03, 04:44
Would anyone agree? Of course Somalia would first have to regain stability and peace before this issue could begin to be raised. This issue would evidently remain unimportant until main land territories occupied by neighboring countries are returned.

What makes these four islands worth fighting for is its rich unique plant biodiversity , a wealth of plants and trees that one would never find on any other part of this world.

Do you want more space to be the battle field of Hawiye's adventures :)

Sanjub_Saraswati
2010-04-03, 20:37
do you want more space to be the battle field of hawiye's adventures :)

loool

Bahri_Negassi
2010-04-08, 08:10
If only Socotra was as close to Eritrea as it is to Somalia, those skirt wearing Yemenis wouldn't lay their hands on it. But of-course we are talking about Somalis who are even unable to conduct themselves in order at their very home let alone a new territory for them to fuck up, oh no! Let the Yemenis be in Socotra.

Sanjub_Saraswati
2010-04-08, 09:30
If only Socotra was as close to Eritrea as it is to Somalia, those skirt wearing Yemenis wouldn't lay their hands on it. But of-course we are talking about Somalis who are even unable to conduct themselves in order at their very home let alone a new territory for them to fuck up, oh no! Let the Yemenis be in Socotra.

^^
Fock off ----->

Zupan
2010-04-08, 10:53
I see alot of horner hatred here ;>

Decimator
2010-04-08, 10:57
I see alot of horner hatred here ;>

Balkan total war version Africa

Vorador
2010-04-08, 11:01
We the Balkaners feel at home here :)

Zupan
2010-04-08, 11:01
Balkan total war version Africa

Loco chulo..

This is even worse! almost..

Ferej
2010-04-08, 22:41
If the horn was Balkan......Ethiopia would be Croatia, where Westerners and in particular the US and UK baby sit and intensive care the country as parents take care of their ill Child, Somalia would be Bosnia where every one with a Gun is making his presence felt across the country [The African union, Ethiopia and invincible hands of the Kikiyus. :D While the poor Eritrea would be Serbia, the current Sanction, defamation, intimidation, persecution and blackmail is the order of the day in Eritrea as it was for Serbia before NATO broke the spirit of the Serbs and distanced them from their leadership while little Djibouti would be Slovenia.

---------- Post added 2010-04-08 at 21:50 ----------

Why are you underestimating the Somali navy [Pirates], their ability to navigate close to Main land India not to mention Madagascar makes them one formidable future navy in the horn. :D As we speak, The Somali navy is playing cat and mouse with the NATO forces in the Indian Ocean and despite NATO forces posses the Firepower and the state of the art equipment...The Somali navy is still scoring "Glorious" victory against the Capitalist west, an accomplishment and triumph which was not even Matched by the mighty former Soviet.:)

Cirith Ungol
2010-04-08, 23:37
If only Socotra was as close to Eritrea as it is to Somalia, those skirt wearing Yemenis wouldn't lay their hands on it.

Your clearly using the highlighted part to feminise the ethnic group in question, since in your mind 'women equals weakness', which would make the Ancient Egyptians, Greeks and Romans all 'sissy skirt wearers' right?. Are you even aware of the fact that your dissing multipe groups of the Eritrean population?, talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

But of-course we are talking about Somalis who are even unable to conduct themselves in order at their very home let alone a new territory for them to fuck up, oh no! Let the Yemenis be in Socotra.

Yes you are talking about Somalia, the same country whose passports your freedom fighters were using to travel the world, the same country your current president was a resident of, the only country to support your self-determination struggle on the international stage, I don't know what's more amusing; (1 Your degradation of various ethnicities of your own country, without you even realising it, (2 You being ignorant of all the benefits your compatriots reaped of another Horn group that supposedly is incapable of conducting themselves in order, (3 Your ignorance of the recent example where ICU established stability to that part of Somalia currently in conflict, or the better examples of Somaliland and Puntland (4 Your denial of the sole Superpower's constant meddling and support for the scum of our society, therefore prolonging the conflict <- every Eritrean brother or sister i grew up with/ went to school with/worked with/dated etc had atleast some understanding of the issues in the Horn, i guess their parents blasting Eri-TV everytime i visited them at home is a good indication from where they got their knowledge.

As i pointed out earlier, there would have been little the Yemenis during their civil war could have done if the militarily stronger Somalia had send a battalion from the Hargeisa base to Socotra, but as the Hanish Islands conflict proved, military supremacy means little in the eye of the International community, which is why your ''skirt wearing'' Yemenis were allowed to re-possess it.

Ezana
2010-04-09, 01:36

If Socotra were off the coast of Eritrea, there would have been a three-day war over it. Eritrea would then have taken it to court, losing possession of the island but gaining its rocky outcroppings, ending with Isaias holding a press conference in which he declares the whole thing a triumphant success and shining example of his administration's caretaking of Eritrea.

Sanjub_Saraswati
2010-04-09, 03:37
While the poor Eritrea would be Serbia, the current Sanction, defamation, intimidation, persecution and blackmail is the order of the day in Eritrea as it was for Serbia before NATO broke the spirit of the Serbs and distanced them from their leadership while little Djibouti would be Slovenia.

Nah, a better comparison would be Eritrea=Kosovo, both are the youngest members of their respective continents and both are constantly belittled, threatend of being absorbed and subjects of systematic defamation/propaganda by their former countrymen/colonizers. lol

Ferej
2010-04-09, 14:08
Nah, a better comparison would be Eritrea=Kosovo, both are the youngest members of their respective continents and both are constantly belittled, threatend of being absorbed and subjects of systematic defamation/propaganda by their former countrymen/colonizers. lol

Some one need to examine your brain cells....Kosovo is the Darling of the west in General and the US in particular while Eritrea's position is the opposite...."Kosovons" didn't even sacrifice a single drop of blood before they were granted independence by the west...not to mention the capital flow which is poured to Kosovo to sustain the economy of the enclave. :o

Another wrong statment, the youngest independent country in the European continent is not Kosovo but South Ossetia and Abkhazia,

Zupan
2010-04-09, 14:14
Technically South Ossetia and Abchazia aren't regarded as being in "Europe"

Ferej
2010-04-09, 14:16
Technically South Ossetia and Abchazia aren't regarded as being in "Europe"

We are not talking about Caucasus here....perhaps you are mistaken them for Dagistan or Chechnya

Zupan
2010-04-09, 14:31
Well do you live in Europe? If so then you should know that nobody teaches that Georgia is Europe. Not anywhere in school do they teach us that. Europe stops at Russia that's it. Europe on an ethnique map stops at France, Spain, Italy, Greece, Russia, Iceland. Europe continentally streches a bit longer.

Decimator
2010-04-09, 18:05
According to what is taught in books here. Europe ends either at the Volga or Urals to the east, and the Caucasus mountain belt to the South.

Vorador
2010-04-10, 11:19
I don't see why it should matter at all.

Isaac1
2010-04-10, 20:51
Our country is in the worst state that it has ever been. It has already been ranked the worst and most dangerous place on the face of this planet with islamists hell bent on destroying anything against their wahabi ideology controlling vast areas of the south and imposing harsh hudud laws on poor people that barely eat once a day and you have the cheek to talk about Socatra belonging to Somalia. Now, I know you said after we have stability and I know that I'm being a bit harsh on you but seriously, this whole talk about Socatra belonging to Somalia that I have recently been reading on other Somali forums sounds nothing more than a joke to me lol.

Cail
2010-04-11, 08:39
If Somalia went to war with Yemen, it'd get a war with whole Arabic world.

Vorador
2010-04-11, 11:29
If Somalia went to war with Yemen, it'd get a war with whole Arabic world.This is hardly true, IMHO.

---------- Post added 2010-04-11 at 13:30 ----------

I can understand wholeheartedly why Somalis can be ticked off by Bahri's comment, but what's your issue with the Eritrean leader? What has he done to Ethiopians that makes your oppinion of him not favorable?Perhaps they see in him a twin brother of Meles, LOL

The_Majerten
2010-04-12, 18:08
I'm from the region in Somalia adjacent to Socotra and I don't think it should be part of Somalia. Those people got a very different culture and are more of Ancient Arabian stock rather than East African.

It's economically a worthless island anyway, though it got some very rare plant species.

slick willy
2010-04-13, 00:14
Socotra is so remote and insignificant to both Somalia and Yemen (who got it basically by default, and not because the British had any sinister motives for future Somali-Yemeni territorial disputing).

Infact, the isolated wastelands of Socotra provided the British with a perfect prison for banishing rebels and political prisoners into exile. Somalis were never historically attached to it...this was no Manhattan Island is all Im saying.

EliasAlucard
2010-04-13, 08:40
Interesting Off Topic discussion split here (https://www.forumbiodiversity.com/showthread.php?t=4303), some other Off Topic discussing members, deleted. Topic is Socotra and Somalia.

//mod