PDA

View Full Version : How come some mestizos don't have a native vibe?

CrazyDaisy
2017-01-31, 07:21
It seems like some mestizos look off-white, but don't have a native vibe. Eva Longoria is a good example. She definitely looks Latina and off-white, but she doesn't exactly have a native or Asian vibe. I'm a different story. People think I look part Asian or native, but they can't necessarily tell I'm Latina/Hispanic.
http://cimg.tvgcdn.net/i/r/2015/12/14/33324a52-591a-4d33-bceb-52bd23922ebb/resize/740x506/12d3fffd8b26825f5688878241548aee/151213-news-eva-longoria-hp-lg.jpg

a_garcia49
2017-01-31, 07:36
Because mestizos can vary with how much European, Native and African ancestry they have. Also there's the case of phenotype not always being equal to genotype, so it's really a toss up.

Take myself for instance, I'm a balanced mestizo and it's obvious I have many native features, while showing some euro admixture too, its pretty much the luck of the draw.

Many of the "Latino celebrities" you see in media are the mestizos who have predominately European ancestry, which is why they look off-white.

PS: Latino/a isn't a race

Eralia
2017-01-31, 08:19
Because not everyone has the same mixture. Some are probably more Castiza (like me. I am more European overall but have quite a bit of Native American with traces of African, etc...) or some maybe have other mixtures such as East Asian, Middle Eastern, etc....Latino has less to do with race and more to do with people from Latin influenced countries.

Heck, most people thought my dad was Japanese for a long time.

I feel we are just repeating the same thing over and over now.

CrazyDaisy
2017-01-31, 08:34
Because not everyone has the same mixture. Some are probably more Castiza (like me. I am more European overall but have quite a bit of Native American with traces of African, etc...) or some maybe have other mixtures such as East Asian, Middle Eastern, etc....Latino has less to do with race and more to do with people from Latin influenced countries.

Heck, most people thought my dad was Japanese for a long time.

I feel we are just repeating the same thing over and over now.

Eva Longoria took a DNA test. She is more native than me. I think she looks more off-white than me, but my native side is also more obvious than her's for some reason.

a_garcia49
2017-01-31, 21:29
Eva Longoria took a DNA test. She is more native than me. I think she looks more off-white than me, but my native side is also more obvious than her's for some reason.

As I've stated, phenotype isn't always correlated to genotype, so its about the gamble of how genes are displayed. Which is why you can have two mestizo siblings look completely different from each other, even if they have same ratio of ancestry.

CrazyDaisy
2017-02-01, 05:20
As I've stated, phenotype isn't always correlated to genotype, so its about the gamble of how genes are displayed. Which is why you can have two mestizo siblings look completely different from each other, even if they have same ratio of ancestry.
Eva Longoria doesn't look completely white, but I can't pinpoint any specific native features. Except for her skintone. I see a lot of mestizos like her.

a_garcia49
2017-02-01, 06:01
Eva Longoria doesn't look completely white, but I can't pinpoint any specific native features. Except for her skintone. I see a lot of mestizos like her.

She looks mixed to me, albeit leaning a bit more to the european side.

CrazyDaisy
2017-02-01, 06:51
She looks mixed to me, albeit leaning a bit more to the european side.

She scored 27% Asian, which means her real native score is somewhere in the mid 30s. On gedmatch tests without native I tend to score 19% Asian/Siberian. My average native score is 27-30%.

a_garcia49
2017-02-01, 07:15
She scored 27% Asian, which means her real native score is somewhere in the mid 30s. On gedmatch tests without native I tend to score 19% Asian/Siberian. My average native score is 27-30%.

Sounds about right, many mestizos with that range of native tend to have that "off-white with a bit of color" look to them.

CrazyDaisy
2017-02-01, 07:18
Sounds about right, many mestizos with that range of native tend to have that "off-white with a bit of color" look to them.

That seems to be a pretty common look. I don't have that look for whatever reason. I just look Asian/white to a lot of people.

a_garcia49
2017-02-01, 07:21
That seems to be a pretty common look. I don't have that look for whatever reason. I just look Asian/white to a lot of people.

Gamble of genetics, also your skin is very light, add some native features and it's understandable why some can mistake you for White/Asian on occasion. Some people mistake me for a mixed Filipino guy, so I can see where you're coming from.

CrazyDaisy
2017-02-01, 07:28
Gamble of genetics, also your skin is very light, add some native features and it's understandable why some can mistake you for White/Asian on occasion. Some people mistake me for a mixed Filipino guy, so I can see where you're coming from.
Do you think it's possible her family are pure Mexican Americans, so her features look more blended than mine? In my family there's some recent german ancestry. That means I have recent indomestizo ancestry as well. Or is my skin color just making my native traits stand out?

CrazyDaisy
2017-02-01, 07:54
I think I solved the mystery. These mestizos have enough SSA to diltute their native or Euro side, but not enough SSA for them to look clearly SSA influenced. I think this happens a lot with Colombians and Central Americans.

Vetton
2017-02-01, 14:10
She's not mestiza, more like a castiza.

CrazyDaisy
2017-02-01, 16:52
She's not mestiza, more like a castiza.

I just use that as an umbrella term for Iberian/native mixes.

a_garcia49
2017-02-01, 17:09
Do you think it's possible her family are pure Mexican Americans, so her features look more blended than mine? In my family there's some recent german ancestry. That means I have recent indomestizo ancestry as well. Or is my skin color just making my native traits stand out?

I think it's just the genes which so happen to have been expressed in your appearance, nothing to do with "purity of Mex-Ams" or your recent ancestors lol.

These mestizos have enough SSA to diltute their native or Euro side, but not enough SSA for them to look clearly SSA influenced. I think this happens a lot with Colombians and Central Americans.

Features usually won't be noticeable until that ancestry is at least around 15%, so I doubt it has an impact. Rather that these mestizos who are predominately European are likely to look mostly white, with the "off-white vibe" being their non-white features which are pretty diluted.

Celph Titled
2017-02-02, 06:20

She is actually somewhere around 60-50% European, I know many mexicans during that time who were scoring 70% European and their European fell down around that range

she also has distant Asian ancestry since shes related to Yo-Yo Ma who who came out 100% on his DNA results, and no Yo-Yo Ma is not a rapper

tauromenion
2017-02-02, 06:58
She does look mixed. I would never think she was fully European.

CrazyDaisy
2017-02-02, 07:12
She does look mixed. I would never think she was fully European.

Me neither, but I can't pinpoint exactly what features make her look off-white to me. The only thing I really notice is her skin color. But I think I'd still see her as Latina with lighter skin. It seems like my native features are easier to pinpoint even though I look more white than her. Phenotypes are weird.

Celph Titled
2017-02-04, 04:43
Me neither, but I can't pinpoint exactly what features make her look off-white to me. The only thing I really notice is her skin color. But I think I'd still see her as Latina with lighter skin. It seems like my native features are easier to pinpoint even though I look more white than her. Phenotypes are weird.

she doesnt have lighter skin, shes brown and proud

with full makeup she looks a lot more non-white to me
http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.80046.1375201595!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/gallery_1200/eva-longoria.jpg
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/eb/73/0a/eb730a43501d9453de8f2a1d89bd5824.jpg

Yuval Levental
2018-06-14, 20:36
Eva Longoria doesn't look completely white, but I can't pinpoint any specific native features.

Probably because you don't have a degree in physical anthropology, do you?