PDA

View Full Version : Are blacks more athletic because of slavery?

Johnny Blaze
2010-05-17, 01:40
What are your opinions on this? This might be a constraversial question to some but please don't get offended.

tweet
2010-05-17, 01:43
The Kenyans can run for hours, they are always doing the Marathons, they were never slaves

pinguin
2010-05-17, 01:47
I bet is the urgency for escaping lions what made blacks faster.

Tropical
2010-05-17, 01:55
I bet is the urgency for escaping lions what made blacks faster.

And Chileans are so slow because the only had to scape llamas :lol:

Fedex
2010-05-17, 01:57
They don't have Neanderthal blood

pinguin
2010-05-17, 01:58
We have lions in Chile, too, if you don't know.
Chileans didn't run them, but killed bare handed

adamo90
2010-05-17, 02:01
Theres a theory that strongest and healthiest slaves were brought over to the new world while the weak and sick either died on the way or were not brought over in the first place. Which would theoretically result in superior athletic genes but thats just speculation.

aBonner
2010-05-17, 02:11
What are your opinions on this? This might be a constraversial question to some but please don't get offended.

Doubt it.
As access and resources for athletics increases there are more people participating from varying populations around the world.
More West African sprinters, Eastern European basketball players, Pacific Islander football players... none of which are from populations that are the product of the trans-Atlantic slave trade

windie
2010-05-17, 02:31
Theres a theory that strongest and healthiest slaves were brought over to the new world while the weak and sick either died on the way or were not brought over in the first place. Which would theoretically result in superior athletic genes but thats just speculation.

The hardest working slaves were breed together to have other stronger slaves. According to what I read. Since slaves were seen as a little better than cattle. But i'm not sure if this is the reason why many new world african descents are great sprinters. Since there are great atheles from every race and all over the world.

Tropical
2010-05-17, 02:36
This theory is ridiculous.

Black Brazilians come in all shapes. There are small, thin Blacks and tall, huge ones :p

By the way, genetic studies show that Black Brazilians are predominantly European on the paternal side, and African on the maternal side (a result of Portuguese males raping African women).

So Black Brazilians are mostly descended from African mothers and European fathers, so they would not be part of that theory.

And Africa is very diverse. While in places like Nigeria people are usually tall, in places like Angola they are small and thin. So it depends from where those slaves come from.

In Bahia, for example, most Blacks came from those area of Nigeria, so the people are known as being tall. On the other hand, the Blacks from Rio or Minas Gerais came mostly from Angola, so the people are small. They are different.

It's like saying all Europeans look the same. We know that the Dutch are blond and tall, while the Portuguese are small and brunet

windie
2010-05-17, 02:51
Brazil had one of the harshest slavery systems. If forget what percentage died during brazil plantation slavery. I wouldn't be surprise if there was this kind of breeding in brazil also. Since there are still predominantly African brazilians.

Tropical
2010-05-17, 02:56
Brazil had one of the harshest slavery systems. If forget what percentage died during brazil plantation slavery. I wouldn't be surprise if there was this kind of breeding in brazil also. Since there are still predominantly African brazilians.

In Brazil the mortality rate of slaves was very high, and the population of African descent only grew as long as new slaves were brought from Africa.

There was a very large population composed of freed slaves, and they were mostly Mulattoes. So those who survived were more likely to be mixed than pure Africans.

windie
2010-05-17, 03:11
In Brazil the mortality rate of slaves was very high, and the population of African descent only grew as long as new slaves were brought from Africa.

There was a very large population composed of freed slaves, and they were mostly Mulattoes. So those who survived were more likely to be mixed than pure Africans.

Selective breeding more than likely took place in some parts of brazil. Since it had so many slaves ( the most in the new world),for it not to have happen. I think the portuguese tried different methods. Besides bringing in new Africans.

Tropical
2010-05-17, 03:17
Selective breeding more than likely took place in some parts of brazil. Since it had so many slaves ( the most in the new world),for it not to have happen. I think the portuguese tried different methods. Besides bringing in new Africans.

It was less expensive to buy new slaves from Africa than to leave the slaves have children and feed those children and wait for them to get older to be ready to work.

Moreover, there were few Black women among the slaves, and those few were usually taken by Portuguese males to be used as sexual slaves or partners

That "breeding selection" never worked in Braizl.

EiCibaeño
2010-05-17, 03:29
I've wondered this myself and further thought about it when thinking about it the way Windie mentioned about the people brought over.

Bonaoense
2010-05-17, 03:44
Don't black people tend to have longer legs when compared to their upper body?

Wizdumb
2010-05-17, 05:53
Nope. It's not cause of slavery. It's in da jeans.

To say otherwise is an exercise in political correctness. REA L scientists know that races differ in their innate capacity to perfrom mental and physical tasks. Blacks, while not as intellectually gifted as say--East Asians or Europeans--are superior athletes because of natural selection. Axe somebody

Unurautare
2010-05-17, 06:18

Actually they were taken into slavery because they were bulky and good for use on plantation(since they also knew agriculture)...in comparison to american-indians that were skinny,didn't know agriculture and also tended to die because they couldn't bare to lose their freedom.
I wouldn't say they are more athletic since not all blacks are the same....remember "big booty bitches" are not that fit :lol:

hero
2010-05-17, 06:38
Lol... this is one of the most retarded threads I've seen.

Finesse
2010-05-17, 06:55
Lol... this is one of the most retarded threads I've seen.

Yes it is a retarded thread, why assume that all people who belong to groups are all the same?

nomar6
2010-05-17, 07:28
in comparison to american-indians that were skinny,didn't know agriculture

Mexican indians knew about agriculture,they domesticated corn etc. Mexican indians were skinny and built this.

http://www.richard-seaman.com/Travel/Mexico/Teotihuacan/PyramidOfTheMoonFromPyramidOfTheSun.jpg

and also tended to die because they couldn't bare to lose their freedom.

Amerindians would jump off cliffs than be enslaved.

toomash
2010-05-17, 08:53
Why do Jamaicans have 10X more Olympic medals in sprinting than the entire West African bloc? There are 300 million West Africans and 2 million Jamaicans.

It's the genes obviously.

Vorador
2010-05-17, 08:53
Amerindians would jump off cliffs than be enslaved.

But why enslave them? You guys had the encomienda :)

nomar6
2010-05-17, 09:21
But why enslave them? You guys had the encomienda :)

That was not slavery, you had serfdom in Europe,were they slaves?:evilgrin:

Azvarohi
2010-05-17, 09:40
Depends on what you mean with "athletic".

Tropical
2010-05-17, 14:04
Why do Jamaicans have 10X more Olympic medals in sprinting than the entire West African bloc? There are 300 million West Africans and 2 million Jamaicans.

Why do Kenyans always win foot races if they are not descended from slaves?

hero
2010-05-17, 14:31

It's called "infrastructure"... "more advanced training facilities"... "government funding." :whoco:

Azvarohi
2010-05-17, 15:41
It's called "infrastructure"... "more advanced training facilities"... "government funding." :whoco:

I wonder if the half-nigerians Jarome Iginla and Kyle Okposo would be in the NHL had they been raised in Nigeria instead of Canada and USA. :cool:

JackKnightstick
2010-05-17, 16:34
The hardest working slaves were breed together to have other stronger slaves. According to what I read. Since slaves were seen as a little better than cattle. But i'm not sure if this is the reason why many new world african descents are great sprinters. Since there are great atheles from every race and all over the world.

Highly unlikely because to "breed" a better athlete is like trying to breed a dog for better smell, herding behavior, etc. Humans have a lot of variation so even if you bred two slaves that were "strong" does not mean all their kids or even most will be "strong"...it takes a lot of generations to breed out unwanted genes.

Slavery only lasted in the U.S. from the early 1600's till 1864, that is 10 generations that could potentially be born here, but you have to think the slave population kept increasing with no slaves until the early 19th century, so there was no study breeding population in most areas until very recent, about 1810 or so.

So then you have 2.5 generations of slaves in a stable population.

Game Theory
2010-05-17, 19:02
Damn it, if I see one more damn "blacks" thread asking another stupid question......People wake up and have some common sense, nothing is hardwired in any population group.