PDA

View Full Version : Roma in the Resistance of the Soviet Union

Inquiring Mind
2009-10-23, 03:28
http://books.google.at/books?id=2QYIOjkEEdAC&pg=PA111&lpg=PA111&dq=gypsies+war+heroes&source=bl&ots=yQXpRtNzaX&sig=dPrZp1Wpm9YR-VRptXu3ZsPYHnM&hl=de&ei=BhPhSti9KqLwmwPewdEI&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=7&ved=0CB4Q6AEwBjgK#v=onepage&q=gypsies%20war%20heroes&f=false

Scholar
2009-11-03, 21:38
Inquiring Mind, would you explain, why Gypsies call himself Roma. It's reminde me Rome.

Inquiring Mind
2009-11-04, 03:04
Inquiring Mind, would you explain, why Gypsies call himself Roma. It's reminde me Rome.

Roma means man in the gypsy language. They always called themselfes Roma.

Peter
2009-11-04, 04:14

It reminds me Romanians. :cool:

Geto-Thracian
2009-11-19, 04:19
Roma means man in the gypsy language. They always called themselfes Roma.

So your people are "men" and you have other names for other people...so why not a name for your race? What's wrong with Gypsy?

I don't even like Romanian for me because of the Roman connotations. Why do you like to be called "man" when everybody would be the same. Is it because you guys think you are the only real men or what?

In Romanian OM is man but we differentiate between that and ethnicity or nationality.

Peter
2009-11-19, 05:00
So your people are "men" and you have other names for other people...so why not a name for your race? What's wrong with Gypsy?

I don't even like Romanian for me because of the Roman connotations. Why do you like to be called "man" when everybody would be the same. Is it because you guys think you are the only real men or what?

In Romanian OM is man but we differentiate between that and ethnicity or nationality.

I think the problem is that there are lot Gypsies in Western and Southern Europe who came from Romania, and they don't call each other "Gypsy" they say they are Romanis. I have read that the Romanian government wants to do something against it.

Geto-Thracian
2009-11-19, 07:23
I think the problem is that there are lot Gypsies in Western and Southern Europe who came from Romania, and they don't call each other "Gypsy" they say they are Romanis. I have read that the Romanian government wants to do something against it.

I'll say! It's ridiculous! If a bunch of blacks from America went to europe and stayed there would they be called Americans or blacks? Not enough people know anything about Romania so we are fighting a losing battle.

BUT....you can keep 'em! :evilgrin:

Peter
2009-11-19, 08:48
I'll say! It's ridiculous! If a bunch of blacks from America went to europe and stayed there would they be called Americans or blacks? Not enough people know anything about Romania so we are fighting a losing battle.

BUT....you can keep 'em! :evilgrin:

We don't call English people "English" in Hungary. We call them "Angol". And they don't call Hungarians "Magyars". Romas are Gypsies.

Servia
2009-11-19, 15:26
Yeah gipsy sounds pretty good :p

I don't want to be politically correct, I say jew,black,albanian,serb,gipsy etc.. Everybody get's the same treatment :D