PDA

View Full Version : Why do female minorities adapt to the local accent better than males?

DogHouse
2010-09-30, 22:48
I have noticed in the UK that black women and Indian/Pakistani women speak English with the accent local to the area with no trace of their ancestorial accent.

However, black and South East Asian men often speak with a trace of their native accents. On the radio, for example, you can always tell a black or Indian presenter, there's always a slight twang. However, in general the females speak completely with the local accent.

Does this phenomena take place in other countries with significant immigrant populations and does anyone know why this is?

Creature
2010-09-30, 22:51
er . . ?. You mean via the BBC or first-hand ?

DogHouse
2010-09-30, 22:54
er . . ?. You mean via the BBC or first-hand ?

Both. I can almost certainly tell a black or South East Asian radio presenter if they're males, however females I doubt there'd be any trace of any accent. And I have noticed this first hand, yes.

SilverKnight
2010-10-01, 00:02
Because females are more adapted to talk more with other individuals in society specially if they are trying to build a social bond with other females as well which helps them learn a foreign language(usually) much faster then us males.

Silk
2017-08-28, 07:10
Actually, female minorities tend to use more standard words than men, but at least in Canadian English they tend to have the strongest accents (from what I noticed). There's a huge variation in the durability of foreign accents. Some people will lose a foreign accent, after only a few years of speaking a new language, others will have thick accents for a lifetime. I have a friend who told me, that a Chinese girl who was born here (from 2 Chinese immigrant parents), has a Chinese accent. This is something that I don't really understand. Males tend to keep using the forms of their mothers, which are often outdated by about 20 years. If anything, at least amongst younger people, women seem more likely to have more careful, conservative, and standard speech than men, who seem to more readily take on, and retain more progressive dialectal forms. Also, there is research to suggest, that after a certain time, 'fossilization' takes place, both in how we hear the language spoken, and how we articulate, and use our facial muscles to create 'new' sounds. This goes for native speakers as well, as non-natives who are learning the language. That's why it can be difficult to learn a new language when you are older than say, 18 (although this fossilization depends on the personal attitude of the learner, and their own language learning experiences). Women tend to adapt to the newer forms that they learn as teenagers, and pass those forms unto their children. There were experiments in which, Americans could say single words in Chinese, and a Chinese could not tell if the person wasn't a native. Yet, there are some people who manage to get a native-like accent. I'm wondering which English accents show more contrast between genders than others. I don't really see it in the US much, maybe a bit in the South, but many women there have Southern accents as strong as their menfolk.

IstenmeyenTuy
2017-08-29, 15:33
Because females are more adapted to talk more with other individuals in society specially if they are trying to build a social bond with other females as well which helps them learn a foreign language(usually) much faster then us males.

Opposite for the muslim minorities in Europe. Women usually stay at home or in their comminity. Men talk with others more. But still in the same conditions, like both working, both going to school, women have better accents still.

It also might be because men think some voices, accents might make them look like gay:)