Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: men always have a square jaw?1265 days old

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Junior Member
    Last Online
    2012-02-20 @ 04:14
    Join Date
    2011-01-20
    Posts
    25
    Gender
    Age
    24

    Default men always have a square jaw?

    so in my forensics class with are now on anthropology and how to tell skulls apart by race and gender. My teacher told us that men have a squared jaw and prominent eye brow ridges. she made it very clear that men have to have a square jaw and women have a narrow/pointed jaw with less brow ridge. i know men probably have more pronounced features but my teacher is a women with a very square jaw and prominent brow ridges which is the opposite of m. I'm a man and my jaw is not square at all. What do you guys think? is she just ignorant or is she right?

  2. # ADS
    Advertisement bot
    Join Date
    2013-03-24
    Age
    2010
    Posts
    All threads




     
     

  3. #2
    Established Member
    Molecular Biologist
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 19:48
    Join Date
    2010-02-28
    Posts
    798
    Gender

    Default

    it means she has a body of a man, and you have the body of a woman

    deal with it

  4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gotibus For This Useful Post:

    Falkata (2011-04-02), Kyte (2011-04-02), Sohigh!!! (2011-04-02)

  5. #3
    Moderator
    Eeexcellent. Day Tripper's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Join Date
    2010-10-18
    Posts
    2,282
    Location
    Here
    Gender
    Age
    23
    Y-DNA
    R1a1a
    mtDNA
    H1
    Ethnicity
    Ger,Dan,Swe,Swi,Isles
    Dodecad
    DOD506
    Eurogenes
    DESEUK1

    Default

    Square jaw? I'm not even quite sure what that means. From the front or side?

  6. #4
    Established Member
    Molecular Biologist
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:14
    Join Date
    2011-01-19
    Posts
    1,733
    Gender
    Y-DNA
    N1c1*
    mtDNA
    H3g
    Ethnicity
    East Finnish
    Phenotype
    Jupiter
    Religion
    Evidence
    Eurogenes
    FI20
    Finland

    Default

    Jaw form and brow ridges are the most distinguishing features between men and women in the skull (there are other different bones, too) and the method is very reliable. Of course at the opposite extremes of both sexes the form and robustness of these bones overlap. Those bones are altered by serum testosterone levels and thus those features in males also correlate with perceived masculinity, aggressiveness and dominance.

    ---------- Post added 2011-04-02 at 16:02 ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by gotibus View Post
    it means she has a body of a man, and you have the body of a woman

    deal with it
    - Was ist der Mensch eigentlich wert?
    - Als Ersatzteil - unbezahlbar.

  7. #5
    Established Member
    pro Satlan's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Join Date
    2009-10-28
    Posts
    914
    Gender
    Age
    25
    Politics
    Zionism
    Israel

    Default

    They're pretty good indicators. I think square and prominent chins are more distinctly masculine than square jaws, though. Men tend to have flatter cheekbones, and closer eyes, as well.

  8. #6
    QBQ Banned
    Molecular Biologist
    Last Online
    2011-07-26 @ 19:15
    Join Date
    2010-09-21
    Posts
    722
    Location
    UK
    Gender
    Race
    West Eurasian
    Phenotype
    Atlantid
    Metaethnos
    Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Scottish
    Politics
    Mgrnts BFR Imgrnts!
    Religion
    No one tells me nutin'
    United Kingdom

    Default

    Congrats you've lost your cherry! In being able to see through the authority into the essence of the average teacher. Its just that this type of literalness is usually to obscure to be recognized but it is usually there somewhere when dealing with inferiors like kids. She should be saying secondary traits of masculinity not 'a man'. Hardly anyone has ONLY masculine or feminine characteristics.

  9. #7
    Established Member
    Molecular Biologist Ioke's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Join Date
    2010-06-17
    Posts
    2,189
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by television_ View Post
    so in my forensics class with are now on anthropology and how to tell skulls apart by race and gender. My teacher told us that men have a squared jaw and prominent eye brow ridges. she made it very clear that men have to have a square jaw and women have a narrow/pointed jaw with less brow ridge. i know men probably have more pronounced features but my teacher is a women with a very square jaw and prominent brow ridges which is the opposite of m. I'm a man and my jaw is not square at all. What do you guys think? is she just ignorant or is she right?
    Well if you look at a human mandible, they all have a angle between the ramus and the body of the mandible. I believe the reason why men have a more prominent jaw is that it broadens the face, and added with facial hair, makes them bigger and more intimidating, similar to how other mammals broaden their features against their opponents. Also, the prominent brow ridge is a hunter/gatherer adaptation where it can protect the eyes better when hunting in daylight.

    Now some women may have a prominent jaw or angular "masculine" features...but it can just be attributed to human variation. Sometimes, facial features become more prominent with lesser body fat content, even though bone is the stable structure.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Ioke For This Useful Post:

    ghostface (2011-04-02)

  11. #8
    Established Member
    sianara
    Last Online
    2011-12-01 @ 09:13
    Join Date
    2010-01-21
    Posts
    2,085
    Gender
    Metaethnos
    American
    United States

    Default

    I think what she means is that males have that propensity, not that literally every male has the trait. The brow ridge one is also very noticeable if you pay attention to random people irl. Or if not the brow ridge, just that whole area above the eyes is a great feature for distinguishing sex. I'd never noticed it before, but the eye brow region is almost sure fire, I'd say.

  12. #9
    Regular Member
    Junior Member
    Last Online
    2012-02-20 @ 04:14
    Join Date
    2011-01-20
    Posts
    25
    Gender
    Age
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jusarius View Post
    Jaw form and brow ridges are the most distinguishing features between men and women in the skull (there are other different bones, too) and the method is very reliable. Of course at the opposite extremes of both sexes the form and robustness of these bones overlap. Those bones are altered by serum testosterone levels and thus those features in males also correlate with perceived masculinity, aggressiveness and dominance.

    ---------- Post added 2011-04-02 at 16:02 ----------


    i do understand that there is a difference but aren't a square jaw and prominent brow ridges trait in a cro magnon person or alpinid?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
<