Phenotype
    ancient
    Politics
    world citizen
    Religion
    New world order
    United Nations Sudan Nigeria United States United Nations United Nations

Default Photos of Blond Melanesians

Melanesia is located in the Oceania or the south pacific. It consist of the islands nations of Papua New Guinea, Fiji, Vanuatau, New Caldonia, and Solomon Islands. However, what intrigues me is the variation of the population in this region among the different ethnicities and tribes, especially the people on the Solomon islands who have a high frequency of dark skinned people with blonde hair. Here is a few photos, and i would love to hear your theories and opinions.

Attachment 111129

Attachment 111130
    Last edited by Mister G; 2012-06-16 at 12:23.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mister G For This Useful Post:

Melanesian Guy (2011-11-06), pgbk87 (2011-10-17), Ramiz (2011-12-18)

3. # ADS
    Advertisement bot

Established Member
    Last Online
    2013-01-17 @ 17:50
    Australoid
    Metaethnos
    Pacific Islander
    Ethnicity
    Melanesian
    Politics
    Kingdomcracy
    Religion
    Christian
    Papua New Guinea

From your opening statement, I can tell that you know a bit about the South Pacific. Either you have read well or you have been there.
    (Or do you have Oceanian blood?)

As a native to those parts, I really have not been too bothered to explain features that we have that differentiate us from the rest of the world. I am not really into comparing features, other than knowing that we are different.

Rather than being intellectual and too analytical etc, I’ll just speak from my own experience.

That part of the world has always been a relatively closed area to outsiders for a long time. This is not just only about the Melanesians but also others like the Aust. Aboriginals, Papuans, and to a lesser extent the Micronesians and Polynesians. The South Pacific and Oceania in general have always had warlike warrior cultures that dissuaded a lot of outsiders from venturing deep into it. When the outsiders started to make inroads into the islands, they started first with the Polynesians and not the Melanesians because the Melanesians and Papuans in general would kill anyone that walked onto their land or sailed into their sea territory. The only people that we would not harm where other peoples who already had established ancient trade links with us. Islam only went as far as Indonesia and stopped there, not going further into ancient oceania because of it – island natives would have wiped out any Islamic missionary that ventured in. On the other hand, Christianity was brought into Melanesia by the Polynesians. Polynesians had the Gospel taught to them first by the early European missionaries and after this they took it into Melanesia. During those times, a Melanesian would only listen to a Polynesian but any other outsider, however, would have been killed on sight.

Nevertheless I think we still had some trade with some Indonesians and some Chinese. There are ancient Chinese sea records that talk about the Chinese traders meeting and interacting with dark skinned, muscular and golden haired people in their oceanic travels. The only people that fit that description today would be my people, the Melanesians. We are a warlike oceanic people, and so are every other peoples that are native to the Southern Pacific Ocean.

We have never had, as a people, the urge to marry outside our ethnicity. In fact the closer you marry to your tribe, the better; that’s the advice, I have been told growing up. Like once you hit your teens, you have your mom and aunts from time to time whispering into your ear about this pretty young girl or that pretty one, and when you do a survey on which girls they praise for their beauty, it is always a girl from their bloodline. That is why in a sense, I am ruined for life. I will always love the dark women of my ethnicity . But nowadays people grow up, get educated and move away from the islands so I guess you have to make do with whatever girl you can get.

As far as the blond hair thing goes, I have also noted the feature in some Micronesians and Polynesians (but I do not know if it was the natural color in those instances). One of my full blooded Polynesian friends say it is a rare occurrence but it does happen naturally for them (Polynesians) too so I’ll take just his word for it.

Melanesians have a wide spectrum of looks that we can fall into which I find very difficult to put to words perfectly. There is also an underlying Melanesian look that we carry which I find hard to totally define. It is this look that causes me to be able to pick out a Melanesian in a crowd.

Now back to the blond hair. It is just proof that we are an ancient group that has kept to ourselves. My younger sister is blonde haired and so are a number of my aunts and cousins. It’s just the way it is with us. Maybe if I really took the time to think it through, I will have a better explaination.

(On the same token, I have sometimes wondered why all the other people in our vicinity, like in Asia for instance are always so dark haired. But that is a different concern. And don’t get me started on skin color too. Personally, I do not have a race ladder to climb, I like how I look. The Asians look good too, but I am an Islander, with my own tastes).

THE BABIES (son and daughter) THAT I WANT TO HAVE (in future) : (Only in Melanesia)

Attached Images Attached Images
    T
    R
    U
    C
    K

SOUTH SEA ISLANDER WARRIOR !

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to truck For This Useful Post:

Bandar Qasim (2012-01-19), Humata (2011-10-22), Melanesian Guy (2011-11-06), Particula (2012-01-16), pgbk87 (2011-10-17), Sanjub_Saraswati (2011-12-02)

Established Member
    Last Online
    Australoid
    Metaethnos
    Pacific Islander
    Ethnicity
    Melanesian
    Politics
    Kingdomcracy
    Religion
    Christian
    Papua New Guinea

Default Some photos to show further:

This is what we modern Melanesians look like. But I still cannot cover our full range of looks even with all these photos;

(any blonde hair that you may spot in these photos is their real hair color)

I'll post some red hair later. Yes, you heard me correct, RED HAIR. You think we didn't have natural red heads ? We do. But I'll do it later.

T
    R
    U
    C
    K

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to truck For This Useful Post:

ari87 (2011-12-18), Melanesian Guy (2011-11-06), pgbk87 (2011-10-17), Ramiz (2011-12-18)

Established Member
    Biological Anthropologist
    Last Online
    @
    E1b1a1a1g1, Q1a3a1
    mtDNA
    L2b2, L3e2b
    Race
    Triracial
    Metaethnos
    Afro-Descendant
    Phenotype
    Chulo Man
    Politics
    Legalize It
    Religion
    Believe What You Want
    Belize CARICOM United States Federal Republic of Central America Jamaica Belize

Quote Originally Posted by truck View Post
    This is what we modern Melanesians look like. But I still cannot cover our full range of looks even with all these photos;

(any blonde hair that you may spot in these photos is their real hair color)

I'll post some red hair later. Yes, you heard me correct, RED HAIR. You think we didn't have natural red heads ? We do. But I'll do it later.

Very unique look. On an individual basis, most could pass as New World Black

9. The Following User Says Thank You to pgbk87 For This Useful Post:

truck (2011-10-17)

Established Member
    Last Online
    Australoid
    Metaethnos
    Pacific Islander
    Ethnicity
    Melanesian
    Politics
    Kingdomcracy
    Religion
    Christian
    Papua New Guinea

I agree.
    T
    R
    U
    C
    K

11. The Following User Says Thank You to truck For This Useful Post:

pgbk87 (2011-10-17)

Established Member
    Last Online
    Australoid
    Metaethnos
    Pacific Islander
    Ethnicity
    Melanesian
    Politics
    Kingdomcracy
    Religion
    Christian
    Papua New Guinea

I’ve been thinking since my above post on this thread, about the blond hair occurrence in Melanesians.

I’m not gonna be scientific, but just speak my mind as usual like above, and explain/discuss it from my point of view. This discussion will be in several parts because it is quite lengthy, and I would like to make a point, and then build on it as a basis for my next point until I conclude.

Now, when you look at the people in Melanesia, they have all the hair colors’. Blonde is one of them. And if you look at the ones that are not blonde, they tend to have more of a dark brown to a reddish brown type of color. Black is not, unlike most parts of the world, in the majority. There is black but not as much as the dark brown to reddish brown types.

The first point I am making here is that brown to reddish brown hair is probably the majority color in most parts of Melanesia. I do not have the stats on our hair colors but I am just speaking from my experience. This is the first point I need to get across to build on my next point.

Let us look first at some dark brown to reddish brown hair types. I apologize if some appear slightly blonde, because those would kind of fall into the grey areas between brownish and blonde, and I just had to put them somewhere. (The blonde ones will come later)

T
    R
    U
    C
    K

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to truck For This Useful Post:

Melanesian Guy (2011-11-06), pgbk87 (2011-10-20)

Established Member
    Last Online
    Australoid
    Metaethnos
    Pacific Islander
    Ethnicity
    Melanesian
    Politics
    Kingdomcracy
    Religion
    Christian
    Papua New Guinea

So with dark brown and reddish brown being the sort of standard (majority people wise), (my first point above) it is easy to see why, if it is lighter in some of the people, it will be blonde and if it is darker in others it will just appear black. I am working on this, premise that reddish brown type of hair is the standard in the majority of Melanesian s. I don’t know the full stats of our (Melanesian) hair colours but I am just speaking from what I have seen in real life.

What I am saying is that if you take in some lightening or darkening variation of pigment in the hair, if that is possible, then the darker ones would turn to black and the lighter ones would turn to blonde. (I need some input from people who know anything at all about hair, cause I don't)

Take skin tone as another example to help explain; for an ethnic group that is standard caramel brown, Horners and East Africans for instance, they can vary from dark brown or to light brown, from the standard which is caramel brown ( but white and yellow would be too far out).

So you get black hair also in Melanesians from that darkening variation (on the premise that brown hair is their standard)

Dark Haired Melanesian s: I know I am doing this for a hair thread to explain blond-ism, but I am also destroying the ignorance about the Melanesian phenotype.
    Like I have said in some other threads on this forum, you will just have to get into Melanesia to appreciate how we look, because the internet does not fully convey it.

T
    R
    U
    C
    K

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to truck For This Useful Post:

Melanesian Guy (2011-11-06), pgbk87 (2011-10-20), Ramiz (2011-12-18)

Established Member
    Last Online
    Australoid
    Metaethnos
    Pacific Islander
    Ethnicity
    Melanesian
    Politics
    Kingdomcracy
    Religion
    Christian
    Papua New Guinea

So as I was saying: and now in CONCLUSION -

When you then have a lightening in variation then you have the blonde hair being seen:

But those are just my thoughts. I am not a commentator on hair by any stretch of the imagination.

Blonde haired Melanesian s:

T
    R
    U
    C
    K

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to truck For This Useful Post:

Melanesian Guy (2011-11-06), pgbk87 (2011-10-20)

Last Online
    @

I posted this elsewhere just recently, might as well repost it here:
    Quote Originally Posted by http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/gnxp/2010/08/blondes-of-the-black-islands/#more-5713

“The Tolais of New Britain are phenotypically ‘Melanesian’, with fairly dark skin and frizzy hair, some-times almost blonde as in some highland Papuan groups.”

The Polynesians in the sample have clear European admixture, but the Melanesians generally do not. The aforementioned Tolai are one of the groups analyzed in this paper, and contrary to one of their explanations for their high frequency of blondness they do not some to have any European ancestry.
    What about bleaching? I will be interested to hear what readers have seen, but to my limited knowledge dark skinned populations in other oceanic environments do not seem to have such bleached hair. But, relatively simple forms of hair bleaching do exist which would be possible for a less affluent population to practice as a rite of some sort, or perhaps for simple aesthetic reasons. I put a modest probability on this being the full explanation for this phenotype, and a high probability for it being some of the explanation.

So let’s move to the most novel explanation: that the populations of Oceania have an independent genetic architecture for the emergence of lighter hair color. For me the biggest factor to weight in this hypothesis’ favor is that to my knowledge there are only two population groups in the world which have an appreciable frequency of lighter hair which are not of West Eurasian origin, and they are the indigenous peoples of Melanesia and the Australian desert (this trait seems to be relatively common in the children of the Warlpiri people for example). As we noted last week these two populations form a natural phylogenetic clade, so it seems highly coincidental to me that both exhibit the unique phenotype of relatively dark general pigmentation, but lightness of hair. Additionally, like Europeans lighter hair color seems to be concentrated among children and women in both these groups, aligning with what we know are the correlations of pigmentation and hormones (males and adults are darker).

One obvious model for the blondeness of central desert Australian Aboriginals is European admixture. But the same problems emerge as in the case of the Melanesians: of presumed European traits only the blonde hair expresses, which is a highly peculiar phenomenon. Additionally, we have a relatively recent report from a scientific perspective on the genetics of this trait among these populations, Joseph Birdsell’s Microevolutionary Patterns in Aboriginal Australia: A Gradient Analysis of Clines. The book is from 1993, and no doubt most of the research was done earlier, so the techniques and analyses may seem a bit crude to us. Birdsell observed that the inheritance pattern of blonde hair among the desert Aboriginals exhibited “incomplete dominance.” He recorded that the frequency of the trait was rather high within these tribes, at least for children and women. Additionally, he observes that people with an eastern Aboriginal parent and European parent usually had brown hair of various shades. But among individuals who had one blonde (at least as a child) desert Aboriginal parent and a European parent the offspring tended to be disproportionately blonde, even if the European parent was a brunette! Finally, he observed that aside from head hair, only the body hair of the forearm was blonde. The rest was dark in these Aboriginals.
    The Tolai - indigenous people of the Gazelle Peninsula and the Duke of York Islands of East New Britain:

The Warlpiri - Indigenous Australians

19. The Following User Says Thank You to linkus For This Useful Post:

truck (2011-10-22)

Established Member
    Last Online
    Today @ 17:24
    E1b1b1a2*, R1b1b2a1a
    mtDNA
    L3b1a,L4b2,L3e1a2,U6a3
    Metaethnos
    Carribean
    Ethnicity
    Dominican
    Phenotype
    SudaBantu/Amerind/Med
    Dominican Republic African Union(OAS)

Nice pics, i am pretty sure that blondism in melanesia is a natural adaptation. Melanesian genetics are quite unique. I think you should def keep the "race" going as a melanesian. I am interested in visiting these islands one day, it reminds me of hte carribean before being invaded. Also seeing modern melanesian women in western clothing they are quite attractive.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lemba For This Useful Post:

pgbk87 (2011-10-21), truck (2011-10-22), upyours (2012-02-09)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast