Thread: Lactose Intolerance World Map2666 days old

Established Member
    sianara
    Last Online
    2011-12-01 @ 09:13
    American
    United States

Quote Originally Posted by DragonRouge View Post
    It is. I also find it interesting that France is cut in half. But I guess the food culture is completely different in Northern and Southern France. My ancestors came from Nothern France but I mist have some ancestry from the South in me too because I am lactose intolerant and also have more of a Mediterranean look to me.

It's quite subtle. Basically, your ability to digest lactose depends on how much lactase enzyme you produce. Some people can have problems with dairy products higher in lactose, like ice cream for example, but can eat products lower in lactose like yogurt and certain types of chesse. I know myself I cannot eat ice cream at all, but I can eat yogurt with little problems as it is lower in lactose.

Also, the amount of lactase enzyme your body produces reduces with age, so people get more lactose intolerant as they get older.

Interesting. So exactly what kind of problems do you experience when ingesting lactose? Flatulence? Nausea? Diarrhea?

I don't think I have it, as I eat on average about 4 bowls of cereal a day. I also put cheese on everything. (I'm Afro-American btw).

2. # ADS
    Advertisement bot

Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    Male relatives J1c3
    mtDNA
    U5a2c
    Metaethnos
    Métis-Souriquois
    Ethnicity
    Acadian
    Politics
    Laurentian Elite
    Canada Canada Acadia Canada Quebec Basque

Quote Originally Posted by Grasshoppa View Post
    Interesting. So exactly what kind of problems do you experience when ingesting lactose? Flatulence? Nausea? Diarrhea?
    Flatulence and stomach discomfort (ice cream will have me on the ground in the fetal position). Some people get really sick, though.

Established Member
    Evolutionary Biologist
    Last Online
    2013-01-22 @ 07:07
    N/A

Frequency of Lactose Intolerance within Population Groups
    Table 1.1 Frequency of Adult Lactose Intolerance within Population Groups [7]

Global distribution of lactose intolerance.

Population Group Percent
    United States Whites 2-19
    Finnish 18
    Swiss 12
    Swedish 4
    United States Blacks 70-77
    Ibos 99
    Bantu 90
    Fulani 22
    Tutsi 7
    Thais 99
    Asian Americans 95-100
    United States Jews 69
    Native Australians 85
    Native Americans 99
    Genetic Factors

Lactose intolerance is an autosomal recessive trait. The allele variations differ in the temporal aspect of their expression. The dominant allele is expressed later and, therefore, the phenotype for the dominant allele is the persistence of production of the lactase enzyme. The recessive allele is expressed only early in life and results in lactose intolerance. The gene that codes for the lactase enzyme is located on chromosome 2. This is the case in all populations, but the reguation of the gene varies. The lactase gene has four common haplotypes- A, B, C, and U. The A haplotype is usually found in populations that exhibit lactase persistence. Increased haplotype diversity occurs in populations that exhibit lactose intolerance. The expression of the lactase persistence phenotype gives genetic advantage to members of populations that consume milk. This is why most express the dominant allele in milk consuming populations. While it is still unclear, it is likely that lactase regulation occurs during DNA transcription because there is variation in mRNA levels between lactase persistent and impersistent individuals. [2] Genetic drift probably also played a role in latase gene diversity. The more homogeneous populations are probably as such because of genetic drift, this is why African cultures have more diversity in the haplotypes. Gene flow, mainly due to colonization, is probably the cause of continued frequencies of lactose intolerance and tolerance within populations. Lactose tolerance is rare in a worldwide sense, but it exists in scattered populations that have no contact. As shown by the low levels of lactose intolerance in United States Whites and the Fulani and Tutsi tribes, the genes evolved independently in different populations around the world.
    http://en.citizendium.org/wiki/Lactose_intolerance

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to windie For This Useful Post:

DragonRouge (2010-02-09), Grasshoppa (2010-02-09)

Established Member
    Last Online
    2017-04-15 @ 00:26
    E-M84
    mtDNA
    L1b1a9
    Religion
    Agnostic Atheist
    GEDmatch
    F141006
    Algeria

Thanks for posting this,I just knew I'm lactose intolerant,what a shame!

Funding Member
    Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    Europoid
    Metaethnos
    Finnic
    Ethnicity
    Several coldnesses
    Phenotype
    Tydal/Baltid
    Politics
    Been there, done that
    Religion
    Absent-leave-Lutheran

Quote Originally Posted by DragonRouge View Post
    It is. I also find it interesting that France is cut in half. But I guess the food culture is completely different in Northern and Southern France. My ancestors came from Nothern France but I mist have some ancestry from the South in me too because I am lactose intolerant and also have more of a Mediterranean look to me.
    Some argues that the Northern French are different from the Southern ones. The Northern ones do cluster closer to Germanics in genetic studies, or am I wrong?

My ancestry is from Finland (where it exists in 18 percent), and I'm not lactose intolerant.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Viking For This Useful Post:

smartguy (2010-04-04)

Funding Member
    Established Member
    Infidel Snowman 2.8% Neanderthal
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:57
    Y-DNA
    N1c1*
    mtDNA
    H4a1
    Race
    Europid
    Phenotype
    Lappid
    Metaethnos
    Reindeer follower
    Ethnicity
    Shellfish gatherer
    Phenotype
    Boreal
    Politics
    bottom right quadrant
    Religion
    property is freedom
    England Northern Ireland Norway Sweden Finland Sami

Quote Originally Posted by windie View Post
    Frequency of Lactose Intolerance within Population GroupsTable 1.1 Frequency of Adult Lactose Intolerance within Population Groups [7]

Global distribution of lactose intolerance.

Population Group Percent
    United States Whites 2-19
    Finnish 18
    Swiss 12
    Swedish 4
    United States Blacks 70-77
    Ibos 99
    Bantu 90
    Fulani 22
    Tutsi 7
    Thais 99
    Asian Americans 95-100
    United States Jews 69
    Native Australians 85
    Native Americans 99
    The Tutsi herd cattle, don't they? So lactase persistence would be an advantage and the genes could osmose into neighbours. I'm surprised that the Masai haven't put Kenya in the green. I'd have expected more lactase persistence in India as well, but if milk is fermented as in lassi, yoghurt, cheese etc. the lactose (12 carbon sugar) is split into two 6 carbon sugars - glucose & galactose which are then digestible. It's the beta bond (cellulose type) between these that is the problem. Sucrose (glucose & fructose) and maltose (two glucose) have alpha bonds (starch type) which are more easily hydrolysed. As an example cook two bowls of oatmeal - 1 with a pinch of salt and 1 without - the salted one will taste sweeter as the salt hydrolyses the starch into shorter and sweeter polysaccharides

A Korean colleague was lactase persistent, just as well as her parents emigrated to New Zealand, but that might be because Nord-Sinids are close to Mongols who have always herded cattle. They ferment some of the milk into alcoholic kumiss which would also avoid the problem and is more fun than cheese.

Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    Neanderthal
    Phenotype
    Archaic
    Politics
    Cros before hoes
    Religion
    Pneumothorax

Lactose tolerant, which is good since milk is one of the best nutritions out there. I thank my ancestors every day for starting to digest milk.

Established Member
    sianara
    Last Online
    2011-12-01 @ 09:13
    American
    United States

Quote Originally Posted by Azvarohi View Post
    Lactose tolerant, which is good since milk is one of the best nutritions out there. I thank my ancestors every day for starting to digest milk.
    Not necessarily. Lets just say that I've heard some shit about milk...Apparently it's not as good for you as previously thought.

Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    Neanderthal
    Phenotype
    Archaic
    Politics
    Cros before hoes
    Religion
    Pneumothorax

Not necessarily. Lets just say that I've heard some shit about milk...Apparently it's not as good for you as previously thought.
    Milk is one of the best nutritions, especially milk protein (such as whey).

It is true that milk for example can give you stronger acne prevelance, but acne is easy to get rid of (roaccutane) and it is totally worth it seeing the nutritional benefits of milk consumptions, especially if you are active athlete or similar.

Email Inactive Molecular Biologist
    Last Online
    2010-11-22 @ 11:25
    R1a1a*
    mtDNA
    L3h
    Ethnicity
    SouthEuroMidEast
    Phenotype
    Fucked up AlpineMed
    Religion
    Nonbelief
    United Kingdom

Quote Originally Posted by Azvarohi View Post
    Milk is one of the best nutritions, especially milk protein (such as whey).

It is true that milk for example can give you stronger acne prevelance, but acne is easy to get rid of (roaccutane) and it is totally worth it seeing the nutritional benefits of milk consumptions, especially if you are active athlete or similar.
    True, milk is fantastic and beneficial, you can even look at the physical shape of societies and cultures that encouraged milk and dairy against those who didn't.

Jealousy? Speaking from the perspective of a lactose intolerant (like myself-which I think sucks).

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast