User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 35

Thread: Thalassemia1880 days old

  1. #11
    Sand Colour Turban Midget Curiouscat's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Join Date
    2011-03-20
    Posts
    6,286
    Location
    UK
    Gender
    Age
    37
    Politics
    True Blood
    Religion
    Easter Bunny
    Turkey United Kingdom Turkey North Cyprus

    Default

    Yes, my partner and I were tested for thalassemia when I got pregnant, we both didn't carry it.

    We had to be checked by law
    Yes, I get what you're saying, I just don't give a damn..

    Communist until you get rich
    Feminist until you get married
    Atheist until the airplane starts falling..


    Never pass up a bathroom, never waste a hard-on, and never trust a fart.' J. Nicholson(The Bucket List, 2007)

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Curiouscat For This Useful Post:

    aliya (2012-04-04)

  3. # ADS
    Advertisement bot
    Join Date
    2013-03-24
    Location
    ForumBiodiversity.com
    Age
    2010
    Posts
    All threads
     

  4. #12
    Established Member
    Junior Member aliya's Avatar
    Last Online
    2013-09-02 @ 21:19
    Join Date
    2011-12-11
    Posts
    1,081
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Curiouscat View Post
    Yes, my partner and I were tested for thalassemia when I got pregnant, we both didn't carry it.

    We had to be checked by law

    Yes, in Turkey, especially in the South, there is an issue with Thalessemia. Lucky you don't carry it

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to aliya For This Useful Post:

    Curiouscat (2012-03-31)

  6. #13
    Regular Member
    Junior Member askra's Avatar
    Last Online
    2012-11-06 @ 01:23
    Join Date
    2011-06-21
    Posts
    68
    Gender
    Ethnicity
    Sardinian
    Skull and crossbones

    Default

    Thalassemia is common along the mediterranean coasts where the presence of malaria caused epidemies, in fact it's a blood disorder that is called also "mediterranean anemia".
    here it is unfortunately a disease very common because the coasts are dotted from hundreds of salty lagoons where the anopheles mosquitos found their perfect habitat, and malaria was eradicated only 60 years ago.
    Last edited by askra; 2012-04-01 at 21:04.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to askra For This Useful Post:

    aliya (2012-04-01)

  8. #14
    Molecular Biologist gr2001's Avatar
    Last Online
    2015-06-16 @ 00:08
    Join Date
    2010-07-05
    Posts
    1,703
    Location
    Greece
    Gender
    Age
    26
    Race
    West Eurasian
    Phenotype
    Mediterranid
    Metaethnos
    Greco-Anatolian
    Ethnicity
    Hellenic
    Greece Cyprus Union for the Mediterranean Armenia Assyria

    Default

    Indeed in Greece malaria was a serious disease. However the mosquitos still piss me off.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to gr2001 For This Useful Post:

    aliya (2012-04-01)

  10. #15
    Established Member
    Junior Member aliya's Avatar
    Last Online
    2013-09-02 @ 21:19
    Join Date
    2011-12-11
    Posts
    1,081
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by askra View Post
    Thalassemia is common along the mediterranean coasts where the presence of malaria caused epidemies, in fact it's a blood disorder that is called also "mediterranean anemia".
    here it is unfortunately a disease very common because the coasts are dotted from hundreds of salty lagoons where the anopheles mosquitos found their perfect habitat, and malaria was eradicated only 60 years ago.

    When you say here, what you mean exactly? Very interesting information. So it is associated with places that there are malaria epidemies...
    But , are you sure that all the places where Thalassemia is encountered, was a place with malaria cases and stagnant water? Or are more reasons than this

    ---------- Post added 2012-04-01 at 20:42 ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by gr2001 View Post
    Indeed in Greece malaria was a serious disease. However the mosquitos still piss me off.

    Mosquitos are terrible animals

  11. #16
    Regular Member
    Junior Member Emili's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Join Date
    2012-03-30
    Posts
    111
    Location
    NY
    Gender
    Y-DNA
    I1*
    mtDNA
    K1a 195C
    Metaethnos
    Turkish American
    Phenotype
    Hamsi
    Politics
    No
    Religion
    Unicorns
    United Nations

    Default

    It is a genetic condition inherited from both your parents and has nothing to do with malaria.

    http://www.hematology.org/Publicatio...logy/4325.aspx

    It is relatively common in Turkey.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Emili For This Useful Post:

    aliya (2012-04-04)

  13. #17
    Established Member
    Junior Member aliya's Avatar
    Last Online
    2013-09-02 @ 21:19
    Join Date
    2011-12-11
    Posts
    1,081
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Emili View Post
    It is a genetic condition inherited from both your parents and has nothing to do with malaria.

    http://www.hematology.org/Publicatio...logy/4325.aspx

    It is relatively common in Turkey.

    I thought that two people that carry the genes, can't have babies because there is a risk. So it passes from one parent. Am I wrong?

  14. #18
    Regular Member
    Junior Member Emili's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Join Date
    2012-03-30
    Posts
    111
    Location
    NY
    Gender
    Y-DNA
    I1*
    mtDNA
    K1a 195C
    Metaethnos
    Turkish American
    Phenotype
    Hamsi
    Politics
    No
    Religion
    Unicorns
    United Nations

    Default

    Both parents have to have the defect gene for the baby to have these diseases. That is why in Turkey blood work is done before marriage. I have a friend that had Med. anemia. He was mostly fine, and super cute too

  15. #19
    Established Member
    Junior Member aliya's Avatar
    Last Online
    2013-09-02 @ 21:19
    Join Date
    2011-12-11
    Posts
    1,081
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Emili View Post
    Both parents have to have the defect gene for the baby to have these diseases. That is why in Turkey blood work is done before marriage. I have a friend that had Med. anemia. He was mostly fine, and super cute too


    I hope he is well.... Does he get transfusions?

  16. #20
    Regular Member
    Junior Member Emili's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Join Date
    2012-03-30
    Posts
    111
    Location
    NY
    Gender
    Y-DNA
    I1*
    mtDNA
    K1a 195C
    Metaethnos
    Turkish American
    Phenotype
    Hamsi
    Politics
    No
    Religion
    Unicorns
    United Nations

    Default

    I am not sure to be honest. He was a childhood friend and I lost track of him. He was a bit pale but had the most beautiful blue eyes. Hope he is well.

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Emili For This Useful Post:

    aliya (2012-04-04)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
<