Donate Now Goal amount for this month: 180 EUR, Received: 0 EUR (0%)
By donating, you not only support the continued existence of this site, you also improve this site in various ways, by making it affordable for ForumBiodiversity to upgrade the server with better hardware and licensed non-free proprietary software, but also motivating the staff to work harder. ABF will always be free of charge (gratis) to use. However, if everyone donates a small monthly amount, it makes a tremendous difference for the forum's overall quality in the long haul.


User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 35

Thread: Thalassemia1941 days old

  1. #21
    Established Member
    Junior Member aliya's Avatar
    Last Online
    2013-09-02 @ 21:19
    Join Date
    2011-12-11
    Posts
    1,081
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Emili View Post
    I am not sure to be honest. He was a childhood friend and I lost track of him. He was a bit pale but had the most beautiful blue eyes. Hope he is well.
    I hope so, too

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to aliya For This Useful Post:

    Emili (2012-04-04)

  3. # ADS
    Advertisement bot
    Join Date
    2013-03-24
    Posts
    All threads
       
     

  4. #22
    Regular Member
    Junior Member
    Last Online
    2012-07-09 @ 00:52
    Join Date
    2012-04-04
    Posts
    25
    Gender
    Age
    32

    Default

    A neighbor of mine had it. Died 29 y.o.
    Greek.

  5. #23
    Established Member
    Junior Member aliya's Avatar
    Last Online
    2013-09-02 @ 21:19
    Join Date
    2011-12-11
    Posts
    1,081
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dont View Post
    A neighbor of mine had it. Died 29 y.o.
    Greek.
    That's really really sad. I am so sorry

    It seems that thalassemia rocks in Greece

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to aliya For This Useful Post:

    Curiouscat (2012-04-07)

  7. #24
    Regular Member
    Junior Member
    Last Online
    2012-07-09 @ 00:52
    Join Date
    2012-04-04
    Posts
    25
    Gender
    Age
    32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aliya View Post
    That's really really sad. I am so sorry

    It seems that thalassemia rocks in Greece
    Its pretty common, I guess. Its called medditeranean anemia for a reason.
    Its a very sad disease. You are basically brought up, knowing that you ll die before your 30s, the best a bit more, if you are very carefull. What do with your life ? Start a family?

    Very sad, very very sad. I can't forget the day that Dimitris died.

  8. #25
    Established Member
    Junior Member aliya's Avatar
    Last Online
    2013-09-02 @ 21:19
    Join Date
    2011-12-11
    Posts
    1,081
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dont View Post
    Its pretty common, I guess. Its called medditeranean anemia for a reason.
    Its a very sad disease. You are basically brought up, knowing that you ll die before your 30s, the best a bit more, if you are very carefull. What do with your life ? Start a family?

    Very sad, very very sad. I can't forget the day that Dimitris died.
    Yes, it is.... I understand that it was a big loss for you, but you can't do anything about it now. It is terrible... Just try to remember the nice moments of his. I guess this is what your friend would also like you to do

  9. #26
    Regular Member
    Junior Member
    Last Online
    2012-07-09 @ 00:52
    Join Date
    2012-04-04
    Posts
    25
    Gender
    Age
    32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aliya View Post
    Yes, it is.... I understand that it was a big loss for you, but you can't do anything about it now. It is terrible... Just try to remember the nice moments of his. I guess this is what your friend would also like you to do
    I know. It was a loss that we all knew will come.

    Thanks

  10. #27
    Established Member
    Junior Member aliya's Avatar
    Last Online
    2013-09-02 @ 21:19
    Join Date
    2011-12-11
    Posts
    1,081
    Gender

    Default

    I don't know what to say in those cases, honestly... Just keep him inside your heart with love...

  11. #28
    Established Member
    Molecular Biologist AlpArslan's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Join Date
    2011-01-11
    Posts
    525
    Gender
    Y-DNA
    J2b2
    mtDNA
    HV4
    Phenotype
    Pontid/Taurid
    Turkey

    Default

    I recently learned that I have Thalassemia Minor. I inherited it from my paternal side, and I guess it is from my grandfather who is a native of the Marmara region.

    Quote Originally Posted by Emili View Post
    Both parents have to have the defect gene for the baby to have these diseases. That is why in Turkey blood work is done before marriage. I have a friend that had Med. anemia. He was mostly fine, and super cute too
    That is not quite correct, what you say is only true for Thalassemia Major. There are two different forms of Thalassemia, the minor form and the major form. Only one parent has to have some form of the defect to transmit the disease to the offspring.

  12. #29
    Sand Colour Turban Midget Curiouscat's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Join Date
    2011-03-20
    Posts
    6,286
    Location
    UK
    Gender
    Age
    37
    Politics
    True Blood
    Religion
    Easter Bunny
    Turkey United Kingdom Turkey North Cyprus

    Default

    An acquaintance of ours yesterday said his niece has thallesemia and that they were shocked because the father is from the Caribbean, the mum is Greek Cypriot- so I assume, even if one parent carries it, it can still pass.
    Yes, I get what you're saying, I just don't give a damn..

    Communist until you get rich
    Feminist until you get married
    Atheist until the airplane starts falling..


    Never pass up a bathroom, never waste a hard-on, and never trust a fart.' J. Nicholson(The Bucket List, 2007)

  13. #30
    Established Member
    Molecular Biologist AlpArslan's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Join Date
    2011-01-11
    Posts
    525
    Gender
    Y-DNA
    J2b2
    mtDNA
    HV4
    Phenotype
    Pontid/Taurid
    Turkey

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Curiouscat View Post
    An acquaintance of ours yesterday said his niece has thallesemia and that they were shocked because the father is from the Caribbean, the mum is Greek Cypriot- so I assume, even if one parent carries it, it can still pass.
    Ofcourse it can. But like I said, there are two forms oft the disease. The severe form which makes a normal life impossible is called homozygous thalassemia, or thalassemia major. It can only be inherited if both parents have one form of thalassemia. Thalassemia minor on the other hand can also be inherited through only one parent. But one can live a normal life without any treatment or medication. That is the form oft the disease that the child oft your acquaintance has.

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to AlpArslan For This Useful Post:

    Curiouscat (2012-12-23)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
<