User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 35

Thread: Thalassemia1821 days old

  1. #1
    Established Member
    Junior Member aliya's Avatar
    Last Online
    2013-09-02 @ 21:19
    Join Date
    2011-12-11
    Posts
    1,081
    Gender

    Default Thalassemia

    Does any of you carry the specific genes and what is your origin? In the beginning I thought that it was sth spread around the Mediterranean but according to this article, some types are common elsewhere too

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thalassemia


    Can you also tell if it is common in your area or you are the only case you know about?

  2. #2
    Molecular Biologist gr2001's Avatar
    Last Online
    2015-06-16 @ 00:08
    Join Date
    2010-07-05
    Posts
    1,703
    Location
    Greece
    Gender
    Age
    26
    Race
    West Eurasian
    Phenotype
    Mediterranid
    Metaethnos
    Greco-Anatolian
    Ethnicity
    Hellenic
    Greece Cyprus Union for the Mediterranean Armenia Assyria

    Default

    I know a girl who suffers from thalassemia.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to gr2001 For This Useful Post:

    aliya (2012-03-30)

  4. #3
    Established Member
    Junior Member aliya's Avatar
    Last Online
    2013-09-02 @ 21:19
    Join Date
    2011-12-11
    Posts
    1,081
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gr2001 View Post
    I know a girl who suffers from thalassemia.
    I see. Then she has the disease, she is not just a carrier. Can you tell her origins?

  5. #4
    Molecular Biologist gr2001's Avatar
    Last Online
    2015-06-16 @ 00:08
    Join Date
    2010-07-05
    Posts
    1,703
    Location
    Greece
    Gender
    Age
    26
    Race
    West Eurasian
    Phenotype
    Mediterranid
    Metaethnos
    Greco-Anatolian
    Ethnicity
    Hellenic
    Greece Cyprus Union for the Mediterranean Armenia Assyria

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aliya View Post
    I see. Then she has the disease, she is not just a carrier. Can you tell her origins?
    She is Greek, yes she isn't just a carrier.

  6. #5
    Established Member
    Junior Member aliya's Avatar
    Last Online
    2013-09-02 @ 21:19
    Join Date
    2011-12-11
    Posts
    1,081
    Gender

    Default

    sorry posted 2 times
    Last edited by aliya; 2012-03-30 at 23:11.

  7. #6
    Banned
    Race Scientist
    Last Online
    2012-03-30 @ 23:57
    Join Date
    2012-03-07
    Posts
    141
    Gender
    Race
    Europid
    Phenotype
    Nordid
    Metaethnos
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Mexican
    Politics
    Set the World Afire
    Mexico United States Norway Sweden Denmark

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aliya View Post
    Does any of you carry the specific genes and what is your origin? In the beginning I thought that it was sth spread around the Mediterranean but according to this article, some types are common elsewhere too

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thalassemia


    Can you also tell if it is common in your area or you are the only case you know about?
    Swarthy genes are bound to decay.

  8. #7
    Established Member
    Junior Member aliya's Avatar
    Last Online
    2013-09-02 @ 21:19
    Join Date
    2011-12-11
    Posts
    1,081
    Gender

    Default

    The article says it is very common in Greece and Cyprus. I don't know the frequency in countries such as Croatia, France, Italy, Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia and Spain though. Is it more an East Med phenomenon? It exists in Arab countries of East Med as well

    ---------- Post added 2012-03-30 at 22:22 ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Golmez View Post
    Swarthy genes are bound to decay.
    What you want to say with this?

  9. #8
    Established Member
    Race Scientist
    Last Online
    2013-08-30 @ 06:49
    Join Date
    2010-01-13
    Posts
    172
    Gender
    Age
    34

    Default

    It's frequent in southern Italy (particularly Sicily and Calabria) with some presence in Romagna and Sardinia. Does not seem to be common in Iberia or southern France though. I think it is associated with the eastern Mediterranean and areas settled by people from there.

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vanillagorilla For This Useful Post:

    aliya (2012-03-30), Arch Hades (2012-04-01)

  11. #9
    Established Member
    Junior Member aliya's Avatar
    Last Online
    2013-09-02 @ 21:19
    Join Date
    2011-12-11
    Posts
    1,081
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vanillagorilla View Post
    It's frequent in southern Italy (particularly Sicily and Calabria) with some presence in Romagna and Sardinia. Does not seem to be common in Iberia or southern France though. I think it is associated with the eastern Mediterranean and areas settled by people from there.
    That is an interesting post. I have the same idea as well, that is more an Eastern Med phenomenon

  12. #10
    Established Member
    Race Scientist
    Last Online
    2013-08-30 @ 06:49
    Join Date
    2010-01-13
    Posts
    172
    Gender
    Age
    34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aliya View Post
    That is an interesting post. I have the same idea as well, that is more an Eastern Med phenomenon
    That does seem to be true, with the exception of Sardinia. But it makes sense because the highest frequency in Italy seems to be in Sicily.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to vanillagorilla For This Useful Post:

    aliya (2012-03-31)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
<