Thread: Your worst 23andme findings1758 days old

Established Member
    Molecular Biologist modernsappho's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Religion
    Lords of Kobol

Quote Originally Posted by Lemminkäinen View Post
    My alcohol dependence risk is increased, but it cannot be true, because I have never used much alcohol, and even dont like it.
    I also don't drink like that. The last time I drunk now was new year's day or eve last year. But maybe it means that if you did start to drink regularly, you would likely become addicted. I have "Little or no flushing reaction to alcohol." so, like you, I think that means that if I did start to drink regularly, i'd become dependent(Right?). I don't think it says anything about your desire* not to become an alcoholic.
    Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise.~ Victor Hugo

Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    I1-L258
    mtDNA
    H39
    Phenotype
    Appalachid
    Metaethnos
    Finnic-Baltic-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Finnish
    Politics
    Vandalism in Rome
    Finland

Quote Originally Posted by modernsappho View Post
    I also don't drink like that. The last time I drunk now was new year's day or eve last year. But maybe it means that if you did start to drink regularly, you would likely become addicted. I have "Little or no flushing reaction to alcohol." so, like you, I think that means that if I did start to drink regularly, i'd become dependent(Right?). I don't think it says anything about your desire* not to become an alcoholic.
    Maybe there is still another gene with opposite effect that is not found yet. Years ago I tested a few times hard drinking in group with friends, but it didnt work for a long time.
    Blog: http://terheninenmaa.blogspot.fi/, with essence "Believe me, or I'll nuke you".

H39 - Thracia 1650 BC, Hungary 5000 BC
    I1 - Transdanubia 5000 BC

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lemminkäinen For This Useful Post:

modernsappho (2012-05-29)

Established Member
    Molecular Biologist ~Elizabeth~'s Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    H1c12
    Ethnicity
    European American
    Politics
    Trump
    United States United Kingdom Czechoslovakia Netherlands France Germany

My alcohol dependence risk is increased, but it cannot be true, because I have never used much alcohol, and even don't like it.
    That's good.

I don't think I saw that one.

My genitor (biological father) was an alcoholic and drug addict but I don't know if I inherited bad genes from him on that. When I was an adult I found out his mom had narcolepsy.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ~Elizabeth~ For This Useful Post:

Lemminkäinen (2012-05-29)

Established Member
    Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel! Gungnir's Avatar
    Last Online
    2014-09-07 @ 03:56
    I2a1b3*
    mtDNA
    U5a2
    Race
    Europid
    Phenotype
    Atlantid
    Metaethnos
    Ingvaeonic
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Saxon/Southron
    England Northern Ireland United States Confederate States of America Germany imperial flag

I think I have a slightly increased risk of throat cancer or something like that but everything else is lower risk. My wife has a very high chance(15% I believe?) of Alzheimer's which is something her grandmother is going through now.

It does say I have a higher chance of being a heavy smoker if I smoke. Which I do. I had quit like 4 years ago but started again about 6 months ago or so.
    Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens. ― J.R.R. Tolkien

Established Member
    Molecular Biologist modernsappho's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Religion
    Lords of Kobol

Maybe there is still another gene with opposite effect that is not found yet. Years ago I tested a few times hard drinking in group with friends, but it didnt work for a long time.
    Yeah, i'm sure there's some sort of psychological component. Little to no flush doesn't control the desire to drink, just the effect. I would think there's a difference between irresponsible drinkers who also have the little to no flush and thus become alcohol dependent because their body is unable to flush it out of their system and having the same little to no flush yet actively try not to become drunkards with alcoholic abstinence. In fact, Alcoholic Flush probably doesn't account for all alcoholics...Since after drinking so much, I think that anyone's body has a decreased ability to flush it out.
    Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise.~ Victor Hugo

8. The Following User Says Thank You to modernsappho For This Useful Post:

Lemminkäinen (2012-05-29)

Established Member
    Molecular Biologist
    Last Online
    2013-01-21 @ 14:40
    Nordic
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Norway

33.6% risk for Diabetes 2(though I'm slim and have good diet, so I'm not sure I'll have to worry much about that)

24.2% risk for Age-related Macular Degeneration

Moderately increased odds of male pattern baldness in Europeans.

Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    J1e
    mtDNA
    X2e
    Ethnicity
    gargamel
    Phenotype
    gargamelish
    Politics
    kill smurfs
    Religion
    believe in god
    Israel

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny View Post
    So some of you must have some real horror stories about genes you discovered you had which can lead to various illnesses?

I found out that I have a ~43% (7% for average person) chance of getting diagnosed with Alzheimer's between ages 50-79. This is because I am one of the 1.7% of people who have two copies of the APOE ε4 variant (whatever that is lol). But the 23andme page for this also said, "Most people who develop Alzheimer's are diagnosed after age 80," so I am pretty buggered.

I am only in my mid 20s now so it is a few decades away yet and I have plenty of time to save for my trip to Dignitas.
    maybe until then will be a significantly improvement in alzheimer treatment,
    i didn't check my disease risks status in fact my health results are locked(except from traits results)according my request,but i have a bad feeling that my case is not better than you judging on my family history,although 23andme locked my health results i always see the small window that ask me to participate in cancer survey ,furthermore ,i checked if they actually locked my health results by clicking on the disease risks button and i saw two diseases -cancer and parkinson which of course i don't have an access to them (the word locked was a side each one of these two diseases)but it still can be a huge clue
    maybe we should sue 23andme?
    Eric Cartman said: "THE ONLY WAY TO FIGHT HATE IS WITH MORE HATE"

Established Member
    Molecular Biologist
    Last Online
    @

Quote Originally Posted by mizrahi jew View Post
    maybe until then will be a significantly improvement in alzheimer treatment,
    i didn't check my disease risks status in fact my health results are locked(except from traits results)according my request,but i have a bad feeling that my case is not better than you judging on my family history,although 23andme locked my health results i always see the small window that ask me to participate in cancer survey ,furthermore ,i checked if they actually locked my health results by clicking on the disease risks button and i saw two diseases -cancer and parkinson which of course i don't have an access to them (the word locked was a side each one of these two diseases)but it still can be a huge clue
    maybe we should sue 23andme?
    Don't forget though it's all a bit theoretical and based on statistics. Just because it does say cancer and parkinsons disease, it doesn't actually guarantee it of course. Also it could say you have a decreased risk of those diseases.

Still this is why I wouldn't do it if I found out something really sinister I would be become fixated on lol.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Zakar-Baal For This Useful Post:

mizrahi jew (2012-08-16)

Established Member
    ----------
    Last Online
    @

60% increased risk for type 2 diabetes at the time when I spitted the saliva (it would be much lower now).

Nothing but that, really.

Established Member
    Wut
    Last Online
    2013-09-14 @ 20:05
    R1b1b2a1a
    mtDNA
    H10

Does the Alzheimer's risk go any higher than 43%? I also have that same percentage.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast