User Tag List

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Latvian People1638 days old

Established Member
    Last Online
    @

Quote Originally Posted by Aectann View Post
    I don't know. ''What can I say? A bunch of cherry picking'' is my trolling line, so don't take me serious.
    Good for you...

Established Member
    Last Online
    @

Quote Originally Posted by Evi View Post
    Linkus, you happened to post few Russians here. But only very few.
    Quote Originally Posted by Una View Post
    There are some mixed Latvians as well.
    Please let me know who they are and I will remove the photos from my post.

The sets of politicians & basketball players were originally posted by Eriks who is Latvian himself, so I assumed that he already removed non-Latvians but, apparently, this was not the case...

Established Member
    Panic, I'm Slavic
    Last Online
    2013-09-14 @ 19:40

How common is this guy look among Latvians?

His name is Maris Verpakoskis.

Established Member
    Last Online
    @

Some people complained that most of the people in the photos posted so far are young. In this video you can see Latvians of all ages:

Starts at 1:55
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTIT_7TZFrU

BTW happy birthday Latvia!

Established Member
    Last Online
    @

They all are not Latvians btw. There are some Russians and some Latgalians from my town that I personally know.

Established Member
    Last Online
    @

Which ones aren't Latvian? 41 & 62?

Do you mean to say that Latgalians aren't a subgroup of ethnic Latvians?
    Last edited by linkus; 2012-11-18 at 22:51.

Established Member
    Last Online
    @

girl at 2:22, most probably Russian (judging by the accent she has), 2:33 (Russian speaker from my town), 2:37 (she's from my uni, I believe she's Latgalian), 2:43 (has an accent), 2:49 (he's a really famous guy here, but I'm always wondering about his ethnicity, well, he's Latvian, but he has an interesting surname and he doesn't look Latvian), 3:11 (lady has an accent, doesn't look Latvian at all), 3:33 (looks like a Roma lady), 3:36 (from my town, has an accent, most probably Russian), 3:38 (most probably Latgalian, since in the background I see Aglonas Bazilika).

---------- Post Merged at 00:57 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by linkus View Post
    Which ones aren't Latvian? 41 & 62?

Do you mean to say that Latgalians aren't a subgroup of ethnic Latvians?
    They are Latvians, but they consider themselves firstly Latgalian and only then Latvian. They have a bit different cultural and linguistic influences. They have their own language/dialect and they usually look a bit different than the rest of Latvians.

---------- Post Merged at 00:59 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Aectann View Post
    How common is this guy look among Latvians?

His name is Maris Verpakoskis.
    Not common. And his surname sounds Polish to me.

Established Member
    Last Online
    @

girl at 2:22, most probably Russian (judging by the accent she has), 2:33 (Russian speaker from my town), 2:37 (she's from my uni, I believe she's Latgalian), 2:43 (has an accent), 2:49 (he's a really famous guy here, but I'm always wondering about his ethnicity, well, he's Latvian, but he has an interesting surname and he doesn't look Latvian), 3:11 (lady has an accent, doesn't look Latvian at all), 3:33 (looks like a Roma lady), 3:36 (from my town, has an accent, most probably Russian), 3:38 (most probably Latgalian, since in the background I see Aglonas Bazilika).
    OK, so in other words saying, out of 94 people 3 are probably Russian, 3 seem to have ambiguous looks or accent - in total 6.4% of the 94 people, while 2 are ethnic Latvians but to be more exact Latgalians and 1 is exotic looking ethnic Latvian - not too bad, or should I remove the link to the video?

Anyway, speaking of folk, I remember you had Ilgi's CD cover as your avatar earlier. A friend borrowed it to me but I must admit that it's not really my sort of thing, they're kind of.. dunno, a bit pop?
    I like Vilki though (but only their earlier stuff from 2000) - you said you're into folk, do you know of any other bands that play in similar style? I don't have a heart to tell a friend I don't like the CD I was given..

---------- Post Merged at 01:44 ----------

More photos:
    Dzelzs Vilks

Skyforger

Vilki

Ilgi

Last edited by linkus; 2012-11-19 at 00:08.

Funding Member
    Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Blemish

They all are not Latvians btw. There are some Russians and some Latgalians from my town that I personally know.
    Some also say the numbers in some odd dialect, very short and inarticulate (they switch the consonants I mean).

I also think 57 is Russian.
    Last edited by Danielion; 2012-11-19 at 00:00.
    "Political correctness is the (...) revenge of the (...) intolerant, (...) dunce upon all the liveliness in this world. It is no more than the (...) resort of minds (...) that, for them, a revival of Stalinism is preferable to the pain of a glimpse of self-it's the last sigh of the beast that Nietzsche identified as ressentiment."

Established Member
    Last Online
    @

OK, so in other words saying, out of 94 people 3 are probably Russian, 3 seem to have ambiguous looks or accent - in total 6.4% of the 94 people, while 2 are ethnic Latvians but to be more exact Latgalians and 1 is exotic looking ethnic Latvian - not too bad, or should I remove the link to the video?
    Nope, I don't think you should remove it I just commented on people that I know - tried to follow the rules you have set. And I cannot guarantee that the rest are 100% Latvian.

Anyway, speaking of folk, I remember you had Ilgi's CD cover as your avatar earlier. A friend borrowed it to me but I must admit that it's not really my sort of thing, they're kind of.. dunno, a bit pop?
    I like Vilki though - you said you're into folk, could you recommend any other bands that play in similar style? Auli I already know but I like Vilki better.
    Dzelzs Vilks is more like a rock band, but they have some songs with folk elements, like this one (which is my favorite):

Have you heard about Auļi?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32PrS...feature=relmfu

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast