Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: How would you breakdown the demographics among Louisiana Creoles?774 days old

Established Member
    Last Online
    2014-05-06 @ 02:23
    Default How would you breakdown the demographics among Louisiana Creoles?

By phenotype or skin color? I mean black/griffe/mulatto/triracial/zamboid/pred. euro triracial/brown triracial/native influenced/quadroon/octoroon/off white/white, etc.

I have only met one creole in my life. I asked if she was mixed with native or something but for any reason I think she got offended. The girl was very exotic looking.

Let's see.
    Last edited by Rodney; 2012-11-06 at 20:11.
    Unos nacieron para ser estrellas y otros para ser estrellados

2. # ADS
    Advertisement bot

Established Member
    Last Online
    2014-10-17 @ 18:35
    Atlantic Creole
    Ethnicity
    AfrAm/Alabama Creole
    Phenotype
    Sahelian/Sud-Atlanto
    United States Scotland Sierra Leone

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    By phenotype or skin color? I mean black/griffe/mulatto/triracial/zamboid/pred. euro triracial/brown triracial/native influenced/quadroon/octoroon/off white/white, etc.

I have only met one creole in my life. I asked if she was mixed with native or something but for any reason I think she got offended. The girl was very exotic looking.

Let's see.
    Some Creoles of Color equate Mulatto and Mixed to mean mutt or like F1 hybrid; they see themselves as a people within a spectrum if that makes any sense.

Pure Negre are rare among creoles except in the former outposts that where inaffect giant plantations I would say out of the total Creole of color population <10%

Sacatra/Griffe are the majority but they are also the ones who have intermixed with Anglo-blacks since American taken over 200 years ago through a mixed Americo/Franco slave setting; but most don't see themselves as creole more so "Part Creole/Part French" 30%

Marabou/Mulatto 20% For some reason these folks are the Creole poster children, when infact the quadroons where what most folks though of when imagining Creoles of color

Triracials 20% most are now identifying as Indigenous Nations rather than Creoles of Color (Chitimacha, Tunica-Biloxi, Houma, Attakapa-Ishak, and the various choctaw/mobilian peoples; therefore I put them as Creolelized/Creolephone/Francophone Indigenous people)

Quadroons/Octoroons 20% Most have passed, mostly older folks or in the most isolated towns
    Last edited by VarnadoFoshee; 2012-11-06 at 21:42.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VarnadoFoshee For This Useful Post:

Hoxxx (2012-11-06), Rodney (2012-11-06)

Established Member
    Last Online

So 40% would be griffe/darkskinned/SSA, 20% mulatto, 20% triracial and 20% quadroon/octoroon (?). What about straight European? Do they exist?

Established Member
    Last Online
    2013-09-15 @ 05:58
    Dominican
    United States Dominican Republic

So 40% would be griffe/darkskinned/SSA, 20% mulatto, 20% triracial and 20% quadroon/octoroon (?). What about straight European? Do they exist?
    If they were straight European then I don't think they could pass for Creole cause they would just be white, no?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to spins For This Useful Post:

Macorisano (2012-11-16)

Established Member
    Last Online
    Atlantic Creole
    Ethnicity
    AfrAm/Alabama Creole
    Phenotype
    Sahelian/Sud-Atlanto

[
    Quote Originally Posted by spins View Post
    If they were straight European then I don't think they could pass for Creole cause they would just be white, no?
    If the were straight European then I don't think they could pass for Dominican cause the would just be white; and everyone knows Dominicans can't be white...

Well ofcourse; however most people who say "Creole" mean Creole of Color.

I will be one to admit that the records show "Creole" the noun of meant someone of wholly or mostly European in ancestry; "Creole" the adjective (Creole Negro, Creole House, Creole Language) was for anything of the colony.

Creoles percieved and recieved as of color depending on who saw them went from being within the spectrums of "Creole" people proper to merely recipients of Francophone culture and breeding.

Anyway back to your question; most white Creoles now identify as "Cajun". It was an insult Americans gave to poor Francophone/Criollophone white; it was reappropriated in the 70's and 80's partially to empower these backwater natives and eventually with the help of economically and tourism minded businessmen and politicians created a whole new ethnic identity, completely erasing Lousiana Creolite history, culture, and remaining identity.

Of the Creoles of Color, Francophone Indigenous peoples, and White Creoles it seems like its 50/10/40 when just looking at folk's ancestry ; for people self-identifying as Creole its mostly 80% Creole of Color and 20% white Creoles (as most white francophone and criollophones opt to the Cajun label.)
    Last edited by VarnadoFoshee; 2012-11-09 at 18:26.

Established Member
    Last Online
    Dominican

Quote Originally Posted by VarnadoFoshee View Post
    If the were straight European then I don't think they could pass for Dominican cause the would just be white; and everyone knows Dominicans can't be white...
    I don't see the need for the "", cause Dominican is a nationality. I thought Louisiana creoles were a sub-group of Aframs.
    Last edited by spins; 2012-11-09 at 18:31.

Established Member
    Last Online
    Atlantic Creole
    Ethnicity
    AfrAm/Alabama Creole
    Phenotype
    Sahelian/Sud-Atlanto

Quote Originally Posted by spins View Post
    I don't see the need for the "", cause Dominican is a nationality. I thought Louisiana creoles were a sub-group of Aframs.
    Did you not read a thing I said? Creole was a geographic name for anyone and thing from the colony of Louisiana; its a psuedo-nationality/socio-linguistic identity.

---------- Post Merged at 09:36 ----------

It only recently specifically became a mixed race people label; the correct term for them and us historically is Gen de Colouer or Creole of Color

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VarnadoFoshee For This Useful Post:

Gungnir (2012-11-11), spins (2012-11-09)

Established Member
    Last Online
    Dominican

Did you not read a thing I said? Creole was a geographic name for anyone and thing from the colony of Louisiana; its a psuedo-nationality/socio-linguistic identity.
    No I actually didn't lol, I just went straight to my quote. Sorry, geez... but that is interesting. Didn't know about that.

---------- Post Merged at 17:45 ----------

It only recently specifically became a mixed race people label; the correct term for them and us historically is Gen de Colouer or Creole of Color
    Ok, I see.
    Last edited by spins; 2012-11-09 at 18:48.

Established Member
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:50
    Y-DNA
    E1b1b1a2*
    mtDNA
    C1b4
    Race
    Triracial
    Ethnicity
    Puerto Rican (Latino)
    Phenotype
    Atl Med/MENA/Amerind
    Politics
    Democrat
    Religion
    None
    Puerto Rico United States

Do Louisiana creole folk look like latinos? With our similar ancestral makeup I would think they would. Well maybe more like Caribbean latinos. Do they?

Established Member
    Last Online

From what I've seen in the internet, yes, many do look like Caribbean Latinos. Others look more like African Americans.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast