H
    Race
    Caucasoid
    Phenotype
    Mediterranid
    Politics
    Moderate.
    Italy Sicily-II Greece Portugal Israel Star of David Poland Cape Verde

Default Italian, Sicilian, and Greek 23andme results!

I made a thread with a lot of these results until the forum crashed, so I am now posting them over again.

These are all the people of each group I currently share with, I am doing them in different posts.

How to interpret this is, that since Sicilians are part of 23andme's "Italian" population, each score you see is how well the individual stacks up to the reference population average. I.e. 20% "MENA" on here means that individual is 20% more MENA than the "Italian" reference population's average.

Sicilians:

Last edited by tauromenion; 2014-03-08 at 02:02.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to tauromenion For This Useful Post:

Berber_Warrior (2014-05-10), Durcherrs (2016-11-23), Fimbulvetr (2014-03-08), Gabi (2014-05-28), Shaquille (2016-07-04), Summersault (2014-05-28)

3. # ADS
    Advertisement bot

Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    Europoid
    Ethnicity
    European

What exactly is "Middle Eastern"? Is that from the Levant area?
    "A racist is anyone winning an argument against a liberal."
    -Ancient proverb

"To try to come to grips with the nation's problems without understanding the role of intelligence is to see through a glass darkly indeed, to grope with symptoms instead of causes, to stumble into supposed remedies that have no chance of working."
    -Richard Herrnstein, Charles Murray

“If the truth offends people, it is our job as scientists to offend them."
    -Satoshi Kanazawa

Established Member
    Molecular Biologist tauromenion's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:04
    R1a1a
    mtDNA
    H
    Race
    Caucasoid
    Phenotype
    Mediterranid
    Politics
    Moderate.

Quote Originally Posted by XMidnightX View Post
    What exactly is "Middle Eastern"? Is that from the Levant area?
    I think it might be Caucasus/Anatolian. But I would assume Levantines will score it too.

Keep in mind that the "Italian" reference population consists of Sicilian-Americans as well as other Italians, so it skews the results. When I post Greeks you'll see island Greeks score high "Italian" and mainlanders do not.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tauromenion For This Useful Post:

Summersault (2014-05-28), XMidnightX (2014-03-08)

Established Member
    Last Online
    R1a1a
    mtDNA
    H
    Race
    Caucasoid
    Phenotype
    Mediterranid
    Politics
    Moderate.

Ok here are the Greeks. Here is how you know if they are mainland vs island vs. Anatolian etc based on what I have observed.

1) If their Italian score is higher than their Balkan score, they are NOT from the mainland. The reverse can happen with an islander having higher Balkan than Italian, but never the other way around.
    2) If their MENA exceeds 18%, they are at least partially Anatolian Greek.
    3) Ionian islanders are indistinguishable from the mainland.

Greeks:

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tauromenion For This Useful Post:

Durcherrs (2016-11-23), Shaquille (2016-07-04), Summersault (2015-02-21)

Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    Europoid
    Ethnicity
    European

Why is the SSA so low? I recall a few sites claiming that Sicilians averaged 4%. Someone on this forum posted some study that claimed they averaged 10%.
    "A racist is anyone winning an argument against a liberal."
    -Ancient proverb

"To try to come to grips with the nation's problems without understanding the role of intelligence is to see through a glass darkly indeed, to grope with symptoms instead of causes, to stumble into supposed remedies that have no chance of working."
    -Richard Herrnstein, Charles Murray

“If the truth offends people, it is our job as scientists to offend them."
    -Satoshi Kanazawa

Established Member
    Last Online
    R1a1a
    mtDNA
    H
    Race
    Caucasoid
    Phenotype
    Mediterranid
    Politics
    Moderate.

Quote Originally Posted by XMidnightX View Post
    Why is the SSA so low? I recall a few sites claiming that Sicilians averaged 4%. Someone on this forum posted some study that claimed they averaged 10%.
    Because they do not average anywhere close to that.. they have like 1% if even.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to tauromenion For This Useful Post:

Dimanto (2014-10-13)

Last Online
    2016-06-06 @ 17:41

Interesting, I am surprised at the pretty consistent low levels of East Asian. What do you make of that? All I can think if is the Slave trade from Eastern Europe must have had people intermixed with central Asian to a good degree or tartars and others themselves. The MENA and SSA are not surprising. I think some is Anatolian from early Neolithic farmers but some is likely Phoenician and/or more recent North African. The SSA could have come from ancient or more recent times through the slave trade or from intermixed North Africans.

Established Member
    Last Online
    R1a1a
    mtDNA
    H
    Race
    Caucasoid
    Phenotype
    Mediterranid
    Politics
    Moderate.

Quote Originally Posted by Summersault View Post
    Interesting, I am surprised at the pretty consistent low levels of East Asian. What do you make of that? All I can think if is the Slave trade from Eastern Europe must have had people intermixed with central Asian to a good degree or tartars and others themselves. The MENA and SSA are not surprising. I think some is Anatolian from early Neolithic farmers but some is likely Phoenician and/or more recent North African. The SSA could have come from ancient or more recent times through the slave trade or from intermixed North Africans.
    Low levels of East Asian are also present in Greece, but in their case it might be due to Anatolian Greeks having picked up some Turkic ancestry and then brought it back to Greece. For Sicilians, I suspect it could either be an ancient component that is shared amongst Europeans, or it could be due to the Arab Slave Trade having moved people around from all over the Arab caliphates, and many of them ended up in Sicily. Also, we don't know exactly what the ancient Phoenicians were like genetically but I suspect they contributed a bit to Sicilian genes.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to tauromenion For This Useful Post:

Shaquille (2016-07-04)

Last Online
    2016-06-06 @ 17:41

Quote Originally Posted by tauromenion View Post
    Low levels of East Asian are also present in Greece, but in their case it might be due to Anatolian Greeks having picked up some Turkic ancestry and then brought it back to Greece. For Sicilians, I suspect it could either be an ancient component that is shared amongst Europeans, or it could be due to the Arab Slave Trade having moved people around from all over the Arab caliphates, and many of them ended up in Sicily. Also, we don't know exactly what the ancient Phoenicians were like genetically but I suspect they contributed a bit to Sicilian genes.
    Yes, I saw that in the Greek results as well. I wonder if it varies by region of Greece, if northern areas near Bulgaria, it could be from Cuman or other such influence. Anatolia is a possibility with the exchange of populations, or also Turkic people who in Ottoman times assimilated in mainland Greece. I did notice some Eurasian looking people in your photos from I think Thessaly, not sure if you posted other areas.
    I wondered about the slave trade and people's from Eastern Europe with admixture or tartar ancestry ending up there, but it seems to prevalent in your samples to account for that, I suppose.
    The Phoenicians yes, we do not know what they looked like but I think the assumption is probably like modern Lebanese for the most part... I am wondering if the East Asian is misread.

Established Member
    Last Online
    R1a1a
    mtDNA
    H
    Race
    Caucasoid
    Phenotype
    Mediterranid
    Politics
    Moderate.

Quote Originally Posted by Summersault View Post
    Yes, I saw that in the Greek results as well. I wonder if it varies by region of Greece, if northern areas near Bulgaria, it could be from Cuman or other such influence. Anatolia is a possibility with the exchange of populations, or also Turkic people who in Ottoman times assimilated in mainland Greece. I did notice some Eurasian looking people in your photos from I think Thessaly, not sure if you posted other areas.
    I wondered about the slave trade and people's from Eastern Europe with admixture or tartar ancestry ending up there, but it seems to prevalent in your samples to account for that, I suppose.
    The Phoenicians yes, we do not know what they looked like but I think the assumption is probably like modern Lebanese for the most part... I am wondering if the East Asian is misread.

I have a thread of Sicilian phenotypes and I am curious what kind of looks you saw there. I notice that Greeks tend to look a bit more 'Balkan' and it is possible the Slavic genes in the Balkans brought some sort of East Asian affinity, which spilled over into Greece.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast