User Tag List

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 156

Thread: Sudan autosomal study866 days old

  1. #61
    Established Member
    CIVIS ROMANVS SVM
    Last Online
    @
    Join Date
    2010-11-06
    Posts
    2,663
    Gender
    Phenotype
    med - MENA
    Politics
    anti-growth
    Religion
    Physics

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Awale View Post
    Someone should check if these Copts have ANE real soon. Did she have WHG btw? I think you said she did?
    Yes, a little WHG. Probably not WHG per se.

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tsukonin For This Useful Post:

    Awale (2015-06-10), Isaac1 (2015-06-10)

  3. # ADS
    Advertisement bot
    Join Date
    2013-03-24
    Posts
    All threads
       
     

  4. #62
    Established Member
    Evolutionary Biologist
    Last Online
    @
    Join Date
    2009-12-30
    Posts
    3,453
    Gender
    Y-DNA
    E1b1b1a1a2
    mtDNA
    T1a8b

    Default

    Thanks a lot, Polako!

    You guys need to keep in mind that you are comparing Copts to Muslim West Asians. Like Muslim Egyptians, they are influenced by admixture since converting to Islam, most notably from SSA slaves. Even the Bedouins show low levels of West African before creating their own component, unlike the Christian, Jewish etc. minorities in the region. If you compare Copts to Levantine Christians, they will be a bit more distant. Copts are still very much like the Muslim Egyptians, without the minor, recent African ancestry (mostly from West-Central Africa).

    IMO, these Copts are likely to be fairly representative of ancient Egyptians from the later periods. The most similar population outside Africa is probably Yemenite Jews, whose African admixture is also solely East African (around 10-15%), with less ANE than Levantine populations.

    The Beja look a lot like a northern extension of "Horners".

  5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lol_Race For This Useful Post:

    Ether (2015-06-10), Isaac1 (2015-06-10), Tsukonin (2015-06-10)

  6. #63
    Established Member
    شيخ Awale's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Join Date
    2014-04-18
    Posts
    2,024
    Gender
    Age
    22
    Y-DNA
    E-V32
    mtDNA
    N1a
    Ethnicity
    Somali
    Somalia Ethiopia Eritrea Djibouti

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lol_Race View Post
    You guys need to keep in mind that you are comparing Copts to Muslim West Asians. Like Muslim Egyptians, they are influenced by admixture since converting to Islam, most notably from SSA slaves. Even the Bedouins show low levels of West African before creating their own component, unlike the Christian, Jewish etc. minorities in the region.
    It's not just from slaves from West-Central Africa and such-> I have no idea about Egyptians but Levantine Muslims quite clearly seem to have Peninsula Arabian admixture (IIRC that's one of the things that causes a substructure between them and their Christians), I have a feeling Muslim Egyptians do too. Though even Christian Levantines have some Peninsula Arabian admixture. A good example of ethno-religious isolates like what these Copts look to be would be Yemenite Jews (as you mentioned) and Assyrians.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Awale For This Useful Post:

    Isaac1 (2015-06-10)

  8. #64
    Established Member
    Evolutionary Biologist
    Last Online
    @
    Join Date
    2009-12-30
    Posts
    3,453
    Gender
    Y-DNA
    E1b1b1a1a2
    mtDNA
    T1a8b

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Polako View Post
    They're 85% ENF and up to 15% SSA in the K8, with only trace amounts of ANE (usually much less than 0.5), which is probably noise.
    If it's not too much trouble, could you add the Hadza to the Northeast African PCA (including the West Asians)? If the Hadza create their own dimension, it may help differentiate highland Horners+Omotics from Somalis, and it would be interesting to see where Beja are placed in that axis.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Lol_Race For This Useful Post:

    Isaac1 (2015-06-10)

  10. #65
    Established Member
    شيخ Awale's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Join Date
    2014-04-18
    Posts
    2,024
    Gender
    Age
    22
    Y-DNA
    E-V32
    mtDNA
    N1a
    Ethnicity
    Somali
    Somalia Ethiopia Eritrea Djibouti

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lol_Race View Post
    IMO, these Copts are likely to be fairly representative of ancient Egyptians from the later periods.
    If by later periods you mean Christian and Classical Egypt-> yep, I agree. I doubt they're an example of what Ancient Egyptians were like as far back as the Old and Middle Kingdoms though.

  11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Awale For This Useful Post:

    Isaac1 (2015-06-10), Lol_Race (2015-06-10)

  12. #66
    Established Member
    Evolutionary Biologist
    Last Online
    @
    Join Date
    2009-12-30
    Posts
    3,453
    Gender
    Y-DNA
    E1b1b1a1a2
    mtDNA
    T1a8b

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Awale View Post
    It's not just from slaves from West-Central Africa and such-> I have no idea about Egyptians but Levantine Muslims quite clearly seem to have Peninsula Arabian admixture (IIRC that's one of the things that causes a substructure between them and their Christians), I have a feeling Muslim Egyptians do too. Though even Christian Levantines have some Peninsula Arabian admixture. A good example of ethno-religious isolates like what these Copts look to be would be Yemenite Jews (as you mentioned) and Assyrians.
    I'm not familiar with the details on Levantine genetics. In the paper that sampled large amounts of Lebanese Christians and Muslims, Christians actually showed (slightly) higher Arabian than Muslims in ADMIXTURE. Yet, the Lebanese Muslims plotted significantly closer to Arabians, obviously due to recent African admixture. The role of this recent African admixture has been greatly overlooked, but it's highly conspicuous when comparing Muslims to minorities.

  13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lol_Race For This Useful Post:

    AlpArslan (2015-06-10), Awale (2015-06-10), Isaac1 (2015-06-10)

  14. #67
    Established Member
    Molecular Biologist
    Last Online
    @
    Join Date
    2014-04-13
    Posts
    415
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lol_Race View Post
    The Beja look a lot like a northern extension of "Horners".
    Eritrea should annex the Beja land.

  15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ether For This Useful Post:

    Awale (2015-06-10), Isaac1 (2015-06-10), Lol_Race (2015-06-10)

  16. #68
    Established Member
    Your Friend
    Last Online
    @
    Join Date
    2009-10-23
    Posts
    9,632
    Gender
    Y-DNA
    R1a-Z282
    mtDNA
    H7
    Metaethnos
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Polish
    Phenotype
    Barbarian
    Religion
    Crop Circles
    Poland

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lol_Race View Post
    If it's not too much trouble, could you add the Hadza to the Northeast African PCA (including the West Asians)? If the Hadza create their own dimension, it may help differentiate highland Horners+Omotics from Somalis, and it would be interesting to see where Beja are placed in that axis.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9o...ew?usp=sharing

    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9o...ew?usp=sharing

  17. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Polako For This Useful Post:

    Awale (2015-06-10), Ether (2015-06-10), Isaac1 (2015-06-10), Lol_Race (2015-06-10), Mheshimiwa (2015-06-10), pgbk87 (2015-06-10)

  18. #69
    Established Member
    شيخ Awale's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Join Date
    2014-04-18
    Posts
    2,024
    Gender
    Age
    22
    Y-DNA
    E-V32
    mtDNA
    N1a
    Ethnicity
    Somali
    Somalia Ethiopia Eritrea Djibouti

    Default

    Wallah, they should really make you the eternal President of Poland. And hmm-> didn't change the cluster much for Horners... Bejas, Habeshas, Somalis, Oromos and Wolaytas are still grouping more or less like before.

  19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Awale For This Useful Post:

    Ether (2015-06-10), Isaac1 (2015-06-10), Lol_Race (2015-06-10), Tsukonin (2015-06-10)

  20. #70
    Established Member
    Evolutionary Biologist
    Last Online
    @
    Join Date
    2009-12-30
    Posts
    3,453
    Gender
    Y-DNA
    E1b1b1a1a2
    mtDNA
    T1a8b

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Awale View Post
    If by later periods you mean Christian and Classical Egypt-> yep, I agree. I doubt they're an example of what Ancient Egyptians were like as far back as the Old and Middle Kingdoms though.
    I wouldn't say that far back, but I think they should be similar to inhabitants living in the later periods of ancient Egypt? Just before the Greek conquest. Modern Egyptians don't show lineages characteristic of Greeks and Persians, so I doubt the peoples of Classical Egypt changed much, IMO.

    For the older kingdoms, ancient DNA will give the definitive answer.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ether View Post
    Eritrea should annex the Beja land.
    I wouldn't put it past Isaias to start a war with Sudan if he saw these results.

    Thanks, hmm.. I was looking for something like this plot by Dienekes, but it doesn't seem like that's possible with these samples. I guess Somalis have some Omotic admixture after all?

  21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lol_Race For This Useful Post:

    Awale (2015-06-10), Ether (2015-06-10), Isaac1 (2015-06-10)

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 35
    Last Post: 2017-06-04, 21:05
  2. The autosomal make-up of Europe after the 2015 study
    By Ubirajara in forum Autosomal (auDNA)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 2015-11-12, 15:12
  3. 2013 autosomal study on Brazil
    By Ubirajara in forum Americas
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 2015-05-28, 11:36
  4. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 2014-08-06, 21:17
  5. Low Resolution Sudanese Autosomal Study
    By Aware_Dog in forum Africa
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 2011-05-26, 23:48

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
<