Phenotype
    Kelto- Brunn
    Politics
    Conservative
    Religion
    Lutheran ( LC-MS)
    GEDmatch
    M372705, A009270
    United States England Scotland France fleur de lis Occitania Holy Roman Empire

Results:

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gooding For This Useful Post:

Sully (2016-06-20), THELOVEBELOW (2016-06-21)

Established Member
    Molecular Biologist
    Last Online
    @

Quote Originally Posted by ghostENVY View Post
    I just wanted to say that I waited 2 months to get the results. I was able to modify the raw DNA file they provide to be read by GEDmatch. It is 100% close to my AncestryDNA kit but in a sense this is better because it goes a wider Y-Haplogroup analysis. Let me know if you guys are interested.
    How did you modify it? If the raw DNA data they provide can be used on GedMatch, this may be more useful than I thought.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sully For This Useful Post:

Gooding (2016-06-20)

Established Member
    Winter is coming
    Last Online
    2017-01-14 @ 07:14
    Y-DNA
    I1 M170+, M253+
    mtDNA
    K2b1b
    Race
    Europid
    Phenotype
    Nordid
    Metaethnos
    Northwestern European
    Ethnicity
    Colonial American
    Phenotype
    Kelto- Brunn
    Politics
    Conservative
    Religion
    Lutheran ( LC-MS)
    GEDmatch
    M372705, A009270

I just wanted to say that I waited 2 months to get the results. I was able to modify the raw DNA file they provide to be read by GEDmatch. It is 100% close to my AncestryDNA kit but in a sense this is better because it goes a wider Y-Haplogroup analysis. Let me know if you guys are interested.
    I'm interested, I'm interested!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Gooding For This Useful Post:

Sully (2016-06-20)

Last Online
    2017-01-13 @ 22:38
    R1b L-21
    Basque Mexico United States

You will need to download your RAW DNA File from Genes For Good App. You want the "GFG_filtered_unphased_genotypes_23andMe." You need to replace a couple of strings using WordPad. Open Wordpad and load the file, and then click on the "Replace Button" on the right side. I noticed the RAW File has additional bits of SNPS that GED cant understand and it confuses the system. This is where the good stuff happens. You want to click replace and then under "find what" start with "22:" and "replace it with" with "#" and then one click on the spacebar. Why? Because it makes it so that line becomes a comment and it wont get read by GED! (Start from Chromosome 22->1 and downwards because it will mess up the formatting if you go from 1->22." Click on "Replace All" afterwards. (The program will freeze but just let it do its thing". You need to do this on all 22 chromosomes! Just replace "Find what" from "22:" to "21:" after it has finished replacing all of the information in the file. Keep going until you get to the 1st chromosome.You will also need to do "X:" "Y:" and "MT:" with the "Find What" and "replace wit" h "#" and then one click on the spacebar. That's it! It should load the file without a problem! I zipped it up loaded it under GEDmatch under the old UPLOAD for 23&me option and now I can use the calculators. GEDMatch will show some issues with tokenizing but so far everything works.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ghostENVY For This Useful Post:

Gooding (2016-06-21), Sully (2016-06-21)

Established Member
    Molecular Biologist
    Last Online
    @

You will need to download your RAW DNA File from Genes For Good App. You want the "GFG_filtered_unphased_genotypes_23andMe." You need to replace a couple of strings using WordPad. Open Wordpad and load the file, and then click on the "Replace Button" on the right side. I noticed the RAW File has additional bits of SNPS that GED cant understand and it confuses the system. This is where the good stuff happens. You want to click replace and then under "find what" start with "22:" and "replace it with" with "#" and then one click on the spacebar. Why? Because it makes it so that line becomes a comment and it wont get read by GED! (Start from Chromosome 22->1 and downwards because it will mess up the formatting if you go from 1->22." Click on "Replace All" afterwards. (The program will freeze but just let it do its thing". You need to do this on all 22 chromosomes! Just replace "Find what" from "22:" to "21:" after it has finished replacing all of the information in the file. Keep going until you get to the 1st chromosome.You will also need to do "X:" "Y:" and "MT:" with the "Find What" and "replace wit" h "#" and then one click on the spacebar. That's it! It should load the file without a problem! I zipped it up loaded it under GEDmatch under the old UPLOAD for 23&me option and now I can use the calculators. GEDMatch will show some issues with tokenizing but so far everything works.
    Thanks. Do you mind posting a comparison of your results with it with 23andMe or AncestryDNA? I might have to get this then and try it.

Established Member
    Molecular Biologist
    Last Online
    @

Okay, that wasn't so bad. I filled out over half of all the surveys in under 20 minutes (just have to finish the health tracking ones). I'm going to try it out and see if I can get it to work with Gedmatch.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sully For This Useful Post:

Gooding (2016-06-21)

Last Online
    2017-01-13 @ 22:38
    R1b L-21
    Basque Mexico United States

The thing is that since I had my DNA analyzed already I went ahead and had my dad take the exam. Since we are 'father and son' it should be relatively close right? Well you bet your ass it was close! Too close as a matter of fact! His % for each population various just a little but the closest 4 ancestries remain the same! So you know its legit. I'm at work but I will try to post pictures when I have free time. My next goal is to have this genome file read by DNALAND ( I think it has the most accurate % values for ethnicities). So far no success. Will keep you posted.

Established Member
    Winter is coming
    Last Online
    2017-01-14 @ 07:14
    Y-DNA
    I1 M170+, M253+
    mtDNA
    K2b1b
    Race
    Europid
    Phenotype
    Nordid
    Metaethnos
    Northwestern European
    Ethnicity
    Colonial American
    Phenotype
    Kelto- Brunn
    Politics
    Conservative
    Religion
    Lutheran ( LC-MS)
    GEDmatch
    M372705, A009270

These Genes for Good people are pretty tight with releasing raw data, I know that much. None of the other genetic genealogy companies are this tight with the raw data.

Established Member
    Allahu Akbar
    Last Online
    @
    Religion
    Agnost

And of course you need to live in the USA.

But why wants Facebook to have your DNA?
    Last edited by Shaquille; 2016-06-21 at 18:23.
    Babası oğluna bir bağ bağışlamış, oğul babaya bir salkım üzüm vermemiş.

I would throw my self in the ranks of the enemies untill I would be certain that I would not come out alive. And here I am dying on my bed. So may the eyes of the cowards never see sleep!

“O Lord! If you give us victory, I shall see that none of their warriors is left alive until their river runs with their blood!”

Khalid Ibn Al-Walid

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Shaquille For This Useful Post:

Gooding (2016-06-21)

Established Member
    Molecular Biologist
    Last Online
    @

Quote Originally Posted by Shaquille View Post
    And of course you need to live in the USA.

But why wants Facebook to have your DNA?
    It's the health department at the University of Michigan that wants it. They're just using Facebook as a way to reach people with their app. But I'm thinking, if you can get your raw DNA data for free and get it read by GEDmatch, then you might not need to go through other sites like 23andMe and AncestryDNA unless you want their interpretations of your genome. Either way, you can save a lot of money, especially for folks who just want to find DNA matches and connect with long lost cousins for genealogy purposes. Now, some of these companies do sell DNA samples for a lot of money (like 23andMe), and some people feel like they should be given a payday for this in return, but I don't care. I especially won't care if I can get the kit for free, at least. I don't know if University of Michigan will sell the samples, but they will keep them, even if you delete your profile afterwards. So, one has to decide if they are comfortable with that. But yeah, they only ship to the United States.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sully For This Useful Post:

Gooding (2016-06-22), THELOVEBELOW (2016-06-23)

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast