User Tag List

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15

Thread: Genes for Good328 days old

Established Member
    Molecular Biologist
    Last Online
    @

Quote Originally Posted by Celph Titled View Post
    Your family must have Southern European origins, but I would need to see what Northern Europeans get, but I doubt they will get West Asian/North African. That component is a lot more common among Southern Europeans.
    Well, Gooding is mostly Northwestern European and he got 100% European on his, but I have seen an Assyrian guy get over a quarter of his DNA put into European (31%), while the majority went to West Asian (56%) and 13% to Central/South Asian. I figured this is probably like what AncestryDNA does. You know, how they give people small traces West Asian, when it's really European (they gave me 3% Caucasus).

My dad was 2.6% Southern European on 23andMe, and I was 0.3% Iberian, 1.4% Broadly Southern European, but I doubt my mother's side has any. I haven't had her tested with anything else, but 23andMe didn't show that I inherited any Southern European or MENA from her. However, I did get most of my tiny Southeast Asian percentage from her. And looking at her Gedmatch results, she does seem to pull up (like 1% or so) East Asian scores where I do not. I probably I will test her with 23andMe soon, especially now that their prices have gone back down. She could likely be about 1.2% Southeast Asian or something.

Although, I just now noticed that they give my dad 1.1% Scandinavian, but says I got none from him at all. Before I was phased with my father, they gave me 1.3% Scandinavian instead of 0.2% which they said all came from my mother. So, perhaps I can't rely too much on their inheritance feature until I get my mother tested.

Edit: Looking at the results of my father before he was phased with me, he showed 1.7% Broadly Southern European and 1.5% Iberian.

Quote Originally Posted by Sully View Post

My Mother's:

Gedmatch:
    Spoiler: 

Last edited by Sully; 2016-09-25 at 02:50.
    "Only those with simple minds rely on stereotypes."

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Sully For This Useful Post:

Celph Titled (2016-09-25)

Funding Member
    Established Member
    Viceroyalty of New Spain Celph Titled's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Mediterranid
    Ethnicity
    Mexican-American
    Phenotype
    Atlanto-Med + CM
    United States Mexico Guam Philippines Palau

Quote Originally Posted by Sully View Post
    Well, Gooding is mostly Northwestern European and he got 100% European on his, but I have seen an Assyrian guy get over a quarter of his DNA put into European (31%), while the majority went to West Asian (56%) and 13% to Central/South Asian. I figured this is probably like what AncestryDNA does. You know, how they give people small traces West Asian, when it's really European (they gave me 3% Caucasus).

My dad was 2.6% Southern European on 23andMe, and I was 0.3% Iberian, 1.4% Broadly Southern European, but I doubt my mother's side has any. I haven't had her tested with anything else, but 23andMe didn't show that I inherited any Southern European or MENA from her. However, I did get most of my tiny Southeast Asian percentage from her. And looking at her Gedmatch results, she does seem to pull up (like 1% or so) East Asian scores where I do not. I probably I will test her with 23andMe soon, especially now that their prices have gone back down. She could likely be about 1.2% Southeast Asian or something.

Although, I just now noticed that they give my dad 1.1% Scandinavian, but says I got none from him at all. Before I was phased with my father, they gave me 1.3% Scandinavian instead of 0.2% which they said all came from my mother. So, perhaps I can't rely too much on their inheritance feature until I get my mother tested.

Edit: Looking at the results of my father before he was phased with me, he showed 1.7% Broadly Southern European and 1.5% Iberian.

Your results will definitely change a bit once you get your mom tested with 23andMe. The Southeast Asian in Aframs would be Malagasy right? From all the New World blacks, who do you think has the most Malagasy heritage? Definitely not Afro-Latinos but I heard many Malagasy slaves were send to Peru and that Malagasy haplogroups were found in the Afro-Peruvian community but who knows how common is Malagasy ancestry among them since I have never really seen an Afro-Peruvian ancestry result

For now, it seems like Aframs especially from the south tend to have the most Malagasy ancestry in their community compared to other blacks. I think African Americans had the most diverse African population in the New World

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Celph Titled For This Useful Post:

Sully (2016-09-25), THELOVEBELOW (2017-02-02)

Established Member
    Molecular Biologist
    Last Online
    @

Quote Originally Posted by Celph Titled View Post
    Your results will definitely change a bit once you get your mom tested with 23andMe. The Southeast Asian in Aframs would be Malagasy right? From all the New World blacks, who do you think has the most Malagasy heritage? Definitely not Afro-Latinos but I heard many Malagasy slaves were send to Peru and that Malagasy haplogroups were found in the Afro-Peruvian community but who knows how common is Malagasy ancestry among them since I have never really seen an Afro-Peruvian ancestry result

For now, it seems like Aframs especially from the south tend to have the most Malagasy ancestry in their community compared to other blacks. I think African Americans had the most diverse African population in the New World
    Yes, that is likely. However, my mother's family is from Southern Louisiana and Southern Mississippi. Both places, especially Southern Louisiana, had migrants from China and the Philippines at one time (as far back as the late 1700s). And they were known for marrying into the African American community since the migrants were mostly men. They say on one of the slave records of Mississippi, there is mention of a Malagasy woman. One of my DNA matches whose maternal line traces back to the same town my mother's family is from, has a Southeast Asian maternal haplogroup and she's only 0.6% Southeast Asian. But another one of my DNA matches, who had one of the highest percentage of Southeast Asian I had seen at the time for an African American, was from Southern Louisiana; and I believe she matched the woman with the Southeast Asian maternal haplogroup too (I've yet to see if they match my mother). And I know I had one DNA match from the Philippines under 5cm/4gp on the same chromosome where Southeast Asian appeared. I haven't looked into any of this in a while though, to see if I got anymore DNA matches with high Southeast Asian or Southeast Asian maternal haplogroups.

Edit:

Spoiler: 

She also has two matches of Southeast Asian descent, but they only list the Philippines for one grandparent and leave the rest blank, and a match from Hong Kong at 5cm/4gp:

This person has a DNA match from Peru and also a Melanesian country:

I don't know what New World Black group has the most, but I believe the African Americans that are more likely to know of Malagasy ancestry and to have it are from Virginia. I believe most of the enslaved Malagasy people were sent to the upper South like around Virginia and Maryland and those areas.

Oditious, who has been looking a lot into it, believes we do have the most diverse African DNA in the New World.
    Last edited by Sully; 2016-09-25 at 04:26.
    "Only those with simple minds rely on stereotypes."

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15