Donate Now Goal amount for this month: 180 EUR, Received: 120 EUR (67%)
By donating, you not only support the continued existence of this site, you also improve this site in various ways, by making it affordable for ForumBiodiversity to upgrade the server with better hardware and licensed non-free proprietary software, but also motivating the staff to work harder. ABF will always be free of charge (gratis) to use. However, if everyone donates a small monthly amount, it makes a tremendous difference for the forum's overall quality in the long haul.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: AMD Ryzen vs Intel117 days old

Established Member
    Let me Indo-Europeanize you yahooland's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Y-DNA
    R1b U152
    Metaethnos
    Steppes thug + farmer
    Ethnicity
    French
    Phenotype
    Noric+Paleo Atlantid
    Politics
    Grab that pussy!
    Religion
    Fellow nihilist
    France Italy Spain Luxembourg Switzerland

What I don't understand is How AMD is still alive while it loose money every financial quarter.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement bot

Senior Moderator
    Plant of Life = Biological Magic 麻 EliasAlucard's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    J1a2b2-L147+ CMH-6
    mtDNA
    H5a
    Race
    Caucasian
    Phenotype
    Alpinid
    Metaethnos
    proto-Semitic
    Ethnicity
    Assyrian/Armenian
    Politics
    Ecofascism, Radicalism
    Religion
    Secular Agnostic
    Assyria Assyria 1913-1923 Armenia Lebanon Sweden Greece

Quote Originally Posted by ThePendragon View Post
    Elias, I hear you have stock in AMD (not sure if you sold it, yet)
    I sold my AMD stocks (I have to blame @DragonRouge and @perception for convincing me to try out other stocks). I'll be buying AMD stocks again later on. As far as I'm concerned, NASDAQ:AMD will rise to way over 100 USD per stock. This might take a year or two, or even more, but AMD's future is looking very bright imho.

but AMD is looking pretty good , right now, from a pure tech perspective :
    Yeah, and keep in mind, this is just the beginning, I mean when Ryzen's Zen 2 architecture/upgrade is released, which will be 7 nm, that shit's gonna rock.

Thread title change:

@Elias AMD Ryzen vs. Intel ---> AMD Ryzen vs Intel

//mod
    Last edited by EliasAlucard; 2017-06-11 at 23:12.
    ReactOS <--- support this project so that we can get rid of Windows!
    Ubuntu MATE 16.04.1 LTS | PRISM-Break! | Windows7sins

“A wise man makes his own decisions; an ignorant man follows public opinion.” ― Chinese proverb

“The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance.” ― Socrates

“Damnant quod non intelligunt.” ― Latin proverb

Quoted for truth:
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaron View Post
    Anatolian Urhemait supporters are mostly butthurt Meds.
    For the lulz:
    Quote Originally Posted by drgs View Post
    Poland is a misunderstanding. It is a country which lies on the frontier between western and slavic world, and which combines elements of both.
    In fact, they are not even the Europeans in strict sense, meaning European as in bearing the responsibility and understanding of European interests. Poland has always been an subordinate country, on one side sucking German dick, on the other side -- Russian one, some kind of "novice" europeans, who are full of inferiority complexes, hysteria and obsessity neuroses. This is also true for all Baltic countries

Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    Male relatives J1c3
    mtDNA
    U5a2c
    Metaethnos
    Métis-Souriquois
    Ethnicity
    Acadian
    Politics
    Severely Normal
    Canada Canada Acadia Canada Quebec Basque

LOL I never told you to buy AMD stocks.

I know this might sound crazy though, but I'd seriously consider Blackberry stocks. They are cheap now because the company tanked, but it is predicted to go up to the $50/share range in the next couple years. I think they got their revenge on Apple by pretty much kicking them out of the automotive market. You never see cars with Apple Car or Windows Embedded Automotive anymore. It's all QNX (my own car has a QNX system).
    Last edited by DragonRouge; 2017-06-11 at 23:49.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to DragonRouge For This Useful Post:

EliasAlucard (2017-06-12)

Established Member
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:06
    R1b-SRY 2627 - A7080
    mtDNA
    H5a1f
    Phenotype
    Archaic Nomenclature
    Politics
    Not a Fan
    United States Germany Poland Poland Volhynia Switzerland Scotland

Quote Originally Posted by yahooland View Post
    What I don't understand is How AMD is still alive while it loose money every financial quarter.
    And what is most amazing as AMD has been losing money almost every quarter since it's founding in 1969. Yes AMD was founded 47 years ago!

Senior Moderator
    Last Online
    @
    J1a2b2-L147+ CMH-6
    mtDNA
    H5a
    Race
    Caucasian
    Phenotype
    Alpinid
    Metaethnos
    proto-Semitic
    Ethnicity
    Assyrian/Armenian
    Politics
    Ecofascism, Radicalism
    Religion
    Secular Agnostic

To be honest Intel is currently better at gaming at least until developers optimize games for the new AMD platform.
    Intel won't be better at gaming for long; the entire PC gaming market, as in all video game developers, will optimize their PC games for AMD processors and AMD GPUs, sooner or later. There are several reasons for this, perhaps the most important being that AMD now owns the console market (Nintendo is no longer relevant here), with both AMD APUs and AMD GPUs, for the PS4 and Xbox One. But as if that wasn't enough, Vulcan/Mantle just might replace DirectX, if not soon on Windows, then at least later on thanks to Android using it.

And besides, the reason why a lot of PC games work better with Intel processors, is simply because Intel bribes everyone to use their shit.

But when the CPU you are comparing AMD to is TWICE the price and the performance delta is usually only a few frames per second, no one but the "hardcore" gamers are going to care.
    It has always been like this? I've been telling you this for years now, see this old thread which you didn't even bother to reply:

http://www.forumbiodiversity.com/sho...brand-prestige

And they're not hardcore gamers; hardcore gamers (such as me) buy AMD, because we're aware consumers, and we dislike Intel's monopoly. They're fools who are irresponsible with money and spend thousands of dollars more for a slight performance increase. That's not hardcore; that's iGnorant iDiot, as in i7.

Hopefully, everyone else will buy the less expensive product (which is SUPERIOR in many situations!) and be happy.
    Yes!

However, if you are a gamer and your measure of performance is how fast your games run, Intel wins hands down. A 7700k outperforms a Ryzen 1800x easily in almost every gaming benchmark and does it for $150 less.
    I don't know about that. There are very few Intel processors that outperform Ryzen 1800X:

AMD Ryzen 7 1800X = 15,376
    Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.20GHz = 12,179
    https://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

^^ That's weak, I mean the shit is clocked @ 4.20GHz yet it's still significantly inferior to a standard Ryzen 1800X.

With that being said it might not be on the desktop where AMD wins the fight , that might still be dominated by Intel, with only budget manufacturers switching to AMD. However, I think AMD will definitely dominate the datacentre and server market. I also think you'll see Naples (AMD's server chips) dominating the TOP500 soon.
    AMD will rock all around, you just wait and see.

Personally, I don't care since I am not a gamer let alone a hardcore gamer.
    You should care. AMD is great for open source drivers; did you know that AMD is contributing serious GPU documentation to FOSS developers? Ubuntu 16.04 LTS even stopped using AMD's proprietary Catalyst drivers and removed them completely from the repositories. If you install Ubuntu 16.04 on a PC with AMD GPU, it'll only run on open source drivers, and AMD has hired their own developers to help out with the open source driver development.

Meanwhile, Nvidia refuses to support open source drivers (nouveau is reverse engineered), and while Intel isn't bad in this department, Intel (much like Nvidia) deserves a boycott on general principle:

Linus Torvalds - Nvidia F_ck You!

Regardless, AMD is definitely back and giving Intel a run for its money !
    Yeah this is great. You think we'll be seeing 2006-style market competition between AMD and Intel? Back then, AMD had 48% desktop CPU market share! That would be awesome, and great for us consumers in terms of performance and price. Intel's monopoly the past 10 years has been anything but good for consumers. Myself, I've done everything I can to counter Intel's monopoly, I mean I not only encourage other people to buy AMD, I only buy AMD myself, and I recently (last year after I won by betting on Trump) bought AMD FX-8350 and two ASUS Radeon R9 Fury Strix (real badass GPU!). I'll be buying Ryzen later on, not because I need it but just for fun.
    Last edited by EliasAlucard; 2017-06-12 at 23:12.

“A wise man makes his own decisions; an ignorant man follows public opinion.” ― Chinese proverb

Quoted for truth:
    For the lulz:
    Poland is a misunderstanding. It is a country which lies on the frontier between western and slavic world, and which combines elements of both.
    In fact, they are not even the Europeans in strict sense, meaning European as in bearing the responsibility and understanding of European interests. Poland has always been an subordinate country, on one side sucking German dick, on the other side -- Russian one, some kind of "novice" europeans, who are full of inferiority complexes, hysteria and obsessity neuroses. This is also true for all Baltic countries

Established Member
    Molecular Biologist ThePendragon's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 13:51
    R1b-Z253 >Z6749.1
    mtDNA
    H
    Phenotype
    Atlantid
    Metaethnos
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    mainstream American
    Politics
    conservative
    Religion
    pantheist
    United States Northern Ireland Germany Scotland Ireland England

Quote Originally Posted by EliasAlucard View Post
    Intel won't be better at gaming for long; the entire PC gaming market, as in all video game developers, will optimize their PC games for AMD processors and AMD GPUs, sooner or later. There are several reasons for this, perhaps the most important being that AMD now owns the console market (Nintendo is no longer relevant here), with both AMD APUs and AMD GPUs, for the PS4 and Xbox One. But as if that wasn't enough, Vulcan/Mantle just might replace DirectX, if not soon on Windows, then at least later on thanks to Android using it.

And besides, the reason why a lot of PC games work better with Intel processors, is simply because Intel bribes everyone to use their shit.
    Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by EliasAlucard

It has always been like this? I've been telling you this for years now, see this old thread which you didn't even bother to reply:

http://www.forumbiodiversity.com/sho...brand-prestige
    Not exactly

Quote Originally Posted by EliasElucard

And they're not hardcore gamers; hardcore gamers (such as me) buy AMD, because we're aware consumers, and we dislike Intel's monopoly. They're fools who are irresponsible with money and spend thousands of dollars more for a slight performance increase. That's not hardcore; that's iGnorant iDiot, as in i7.
    Some gamers, a significant amount, only care about the mist performance they can buy it's the nature of the scene but some might be waking up now that the latest PlayStation runs on BSD etc...

I don't know about that. There are very few Intel processors that outperform Ryzen 1800X:

AMD Ryzen 7 1800X = 15,376
    Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.20GHz = 12,179
    https://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

^^ That's weak, I mean the shit is clocked @ 4.20GHz yet it's still significantly inferior to a standard Ryzen 1800X.
    Those are not just gaming benchmarks but overall performance.

Quote Originally Posted by EliasElucard

You should care. AMD is great for open source drivers; did you know that AMD is contributing serious GPU documentation to FOSS developers? Ubuntu 16.04 LTS even stopped using AMD's proprietary Catalyst drivers and removed them completely from the repositories. If you install Ubuntu 16.04 on a PC with AMD GPU, it'll only run on open source drivers, and AMD has hired their own developers to help out with the open source driver development.

Meanwhile, Nvidia refuses to support open source drivers (nouveau is reverse engineered), and while Intel isn't bad in this department, Intel (much like Nvidia) deserves a boycott on general principle:

Linus Torvalds - Nvidia F_ck You!
    Well, I do care what I meant is I don't expect anything to change. BSD users research their hardware before they buy it but linux users don't generally -- I mean research it to make sure it will run on the platform but some people go so far as to make sure it will run all opensource with no binary drives. My OpenBSD laptop broke so this forum shows that I am using Linux but it's Linux Android on a tablet. When I get a new laptop I will research the hardware to make sure it runs all opensource with no binary blob drivers.

Yeah this is great. You think we'll be seeing 2006-style market competition between AMD and Intel? Back then, AMD had 48% desktop CPU market share! That would be awesome, and great for us consumers in terms of performance and price. Intel's monopoly the past 10 years has been anything but good for consumers. Myself, I've done everything I can to counter Intel's monopoly, I mean I not only encourage other people to buy AMD, I only buy AMD myself, and I recently (last year after I won by betting on Trump) bought AMD FX-8350 and two ASUS Radeon R9 Fury Strix (real badass GPU!). I'll be buying Ryzen later on, not because I need it but just for fun.
    I hope so and probably. Sorry, for the terse replies but you are probably not on a tablet. I have been using a tablet , on the forum,for months and it is not conducive to long replies. One can do it but it's more of a pain in the ass.
    Last edited by ThePendragon; 2017-06-13 at 00:38.
    American of Scots-Irish or Ulster Ancestry :

'I am a Scotsman', Sir Walter Scott once famously wrote, ' therefore I had to fight my way into the world'.

"Of all the small nations of this earth, perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind.” --Winston Churchill(England)

"We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation.” --Voltaire(France)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ThePendragon For This Useful Post:

EliasAlucard (2017-06-13)

Senior Moderator
    Last Online
    @
    J1a2b2-L147+ CMH-6
    mtDNA
    H5a
    Race
    Caucasian
    Phenotype
    Alpinid
    Metaethnos
    proto-Semitic
    Ethnicity
    Assyrian/Armenian
    Politics
    Ecofascism, Radicalism
    Religion
    Secular Agnostic

Agreed

Not exactly
    Well it has if you think about it. Difference now is that AMD has released a damn solid processor with Ryzen, perhaps in part due to hiring legendary processor architect, Jim Keller again, who among other things co-authored the x86-64 ISA. I don't understand why AMD allowed him to depart after he was finished with Ryzen, I mean dude has mad skills, and he was perhaps the main man who made AMD as competitive as they were in the mid 2000s.

Anyway, AMD has always been more bang for a buck. It's true that Phenom II and the entire FX lineup weren't on a par with Intel's lineup, in part due to Intel employing multithreading, which AMD is making up for now by not only including multithreading in Ryzen, but also launching AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X:

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X 16 Core, 32 Thread CPU Specifications and Performance Leaked – Clocked at 3.4 GHz Base Frequency

^^ This motherfucker is straight up badass!

Some gamers, a significant amount, only care about the mist performance they can buy it's the nature of the scene but some might be waking up now that the latest PlayStation runs on BSD etc...
    Well most gamers are morons (the mainstream gamers anyway). They don't understand concepts like specs, market competition, monopoly and so on. Some website gives Intel processors positive reviews, and they buy it because of that. It's not like you can't play games with the highest settings on AMD hardware. It has always worked fine here with me.

Those are not just gaming benchmarks but overall performance.
    I doubt the gaming performance will be all that different, and the Ryzen 1950X will blow Intel away.

Well, I do care what I meant is I don't expect anything to change. BSD users research their hardware before they buy it but linux users don't generally -- I mean research it to make sure it will run on the platform but some people go so far as to make sure it will run all opensource with no binary drives.
    Yeah I was running Trisquel for a while, after some tinkering and tweaking it worked great on my laptop, mostly anyway.

Right now I'm on this new laptop I can't get Ubuntu booting from it (crappy UEFI), so I have to use Windows 10 on it. But at the very least it has AMD APU/GPU

My OpenBSD laptop broke so this forum shows that I am using Linux but it's Linux Android on a tablet. When I get a new laptop I will research the hardware to make sure it runs all opensource with no binary blob drivers.
    Ryzen laptops will be released, and in fact, Ryzen will be in ASUS ROG laptops:

Asus ROG teases the world's first AMD Ryzen laptop

^^ I'm so looking forward to this! I really like ASUS' shit, great brand, but until now there were no ASUS ROG laptops, only gay Intel/Nvidia crap, so this is great news.

I hope so and probably. Sorry, for the terse replies but you are probably not on a tablet. I have been using a tablet , on the forum,for months and it is not conducive to long replies. One can do it but it's more of a pain in the ass.
    Yeah I know, it's a pain in the ass to post from Android devices. But you should buy an Android keyboard or something.
    Last edited by EliasAlucard; 2017-06-13 at 15:43.

Quoted for truth:
    For the lulz:

Senior Moderator
    Last Online
    @
    J1a2b2-L147+ CMH-6
    mtDNA
    H5a
    Race
    Caucasian
    Phenotype
    Alpinid
    Metaethnos
    proto-Semitic
    Ethnicity
    Assyrian/Armenian
    Politics
    Ecofascism, Radicalism
    Religion
    Secular Agnostic

Quote Originally Posted by yahooland View Post
    They make money too. The reason they've been losing money is because Intel has been bribing various OEM brands to sell their desktops and laptops with Intel chips only, or mostly Intel chips. So for example, back in 2006 when AMD was kicking Intel's ass, what did Intel do? Release better hardware? No, they began bribing various OEMs and computer stores and so on, to just sell Intel processors or get discounts if they sell Intel processors and so on. Intel has much deeper pockets than AMD, so they can afford to behave this way and lose some money in the short-term just to keep AMD down. AMD on the other hand, to seriously pwn Intel as much as they did in 2006, that requires lots of money and resources spent on R&D, which meant that they didn't get all that money back after Intel began doing all that corruption tactics. Add to that, that AMD in 2006 bought Canadian GPU company ATI (hence the AMD Radeon brand nowadays), and AMD began declining financially for years. But Intel had to pay AMD 1.25 billion dollars in damages after AMD went to court against Intel's corruption tactics:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanc..._v._Intel_Corp.

So it's not that Intel processors are superior or anything like that, it's simply corruption because Intel is afraid of the competition. And then you have the anti-intellectual mainstream thinkers who seriously believe Intel is the greatest processor company ever. Anyone who buys an Intel processor today, is only doing himself a disservice.

Intel's monopoly problem doesn't really exist in the ARM-based processor market, because ARM licenses its CPU designs to various hardware companies; ARM is a more open and competitive processor market. It's a good thing no one buys Android devices with Intel CPUs.

Quoted for truth:
    For the lulz:

Established Member
    Molecular Biologist
    Last Online
    Today @ 14:04
    E1b1a8*
    mtDNA
    L0a1a2

Hilarious.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2