Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 180 EUR, Received: 35 EUR (19%)
By donating, you not only support the continued existence of this site, you also improve this site in various ways, by making it affordable for ForumBiodiversity to upgrade the server with better hardware and licensed non-free proprietary software, but also motivating the staff to work harder. ABF will always be free of charge (gratis) to use. However, if everyone donates a small monthly amount, it makes a tremendous difference for the forum's overall quality in the long haul.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Portugal the most mixed-race (mulatto) European country?1434 days old

Established Member Papa Mwe Bonaoense's Avatar
    Last Online
    2011-10-22 @ 17:36
    Triracial
    Phenotype
    Sinid
    Metaethnos
    Hispanic Caribbean
    Ethnicity
    Cibaeño
    Phenotype
    Sinid
    Politics
    Center
    Spain traditional France Dominican Republic Senegal Haiti

Default Is Portugal the most mixed-race (mulatto) European country?

Apparently, Portuguese people have the highest amount of african ancestry in Europe and there are some very questionable phenotypes

Granted, the average Portuguese probably doesn't have any phenotypically negroid features, but it is supposedly common in some areas to see some mulatto-ish people.

Depending on region, the Portuguese have 5-10% sub-Saharan maternal lineages (L haplogroups). M1 is East African in origin, so the Central Portuguese have about 11% Negroid maternal ancestry. (Pereira et al. 2000)

In addition to Negroid maternal ancestry, Carvalho-Silva et al. (2001) found sub-Saharan Y-chromosome haplogroup 8 in Portugal at a frequency of 1.1% (n=93).

Other studies have failed to detect sub-Saharan Y-chromosomes in Portugal. However, I think it may be significant that the study cited above did detect HG8 in a sample of Portuguese. Apart from Rosser et al. (2000), which found HG8 in Sardinian and French samples, and another study which found sub-Saharan haplotypes in Corsica, I believe this is the only time I've seen a sub-Saharan Y-chromosome detected in a European population (Update: Greece is now on the list of European countries in which sub-Saharan male ancestry has been detected).

In any event, the Negroid paternal contribution in the Portuguese is much smaller than the Negroid maternal contribution, which is to be expected if the Negroid strain was introduced into Portugal as a result of the Atlantic slave trade.

The Negroid genetic contribution in Portugal could be something like 3-6% of total genes. Though an extraordinarily high level of sub-Saharan ancestry by European standards, this ancestry is minimal enough that it seems unlikely that it markedly affects the phenotypes of most Portuguese. But, through recombination, it's not inconceivable that some Portuguese exhibit Negroid traits due to slave admixture.

Also, the fact that levels of Negroid ancestry in Portugal apparently vary by region tells us that the distribution of Negroid genes is not uniform. If there is also genetic structure by sub-region and social class (as seems likely), there is a reasonable likelihood that some groups of Portuguese are greatly above the national average in their levels of black genes, and those groups might show external signs of their Negroid ancestry. Update: This prediction of mine seems to have been vindicated by a recent report that "sub-Saharan input" is "above 20%" in certain rural areas of Portugal, "where black African physical features occasionally mildly manifest themselves in the natives". I don't have a full citation for this report, which was apparently transcribed from a print journal and posted to the web by someone intent on minimizing the importance of the sub-Saharan component in the Portuguese, but no one disagrees that these native Portuguese with manifestly sub-Saharan features exist.

Update: According to the latest paper on the subject (Gonzalez et al. 2003), some of Portugal's Negroid admixture may date to the Neolithic. Guenther (see below) was probably correct to ascribe the Negroid element in Portugal to both ancient and recent sources.

http://www.white-history.com/refutin...l/portmul1.jpg
    http://www.white-history.com/refutin.../guenther1.jpg
    http://www.white-history.com/refutin...l/portmul2.jpg

EDIT:

Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, my source probably isn't the best but I found this interesting
    Last edited by Bonaoense; 2010-05-21 at 23:02.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bonaoense For This Useful Post:

Erick (2010-06-27), tweet (2010-05-21)

3. # ADS
    Advertisement bot

QBQ Banned Molecular Biologist tweet's Avatar
    Last Online
    2010-09-02 @ 04:01

Im not surprised, the Portuguese have been roaming around west and central africa for centuries, its not surprising that they brought those genes back to their motherland Portugal.

I doubt the SSA genes is 100% neolithic in Portugal, if people like cristiano Ronaldo can easily pass for Portuguese despite having Cabo Verde admix, then i am assuming their are many more Portuguese with SSA genetics.

Email Inactive Race Scientist
    Last Online
    2011-11-04 @ 14:17
    NATO

Do you still have doubts? North-Iranians are more Europids than the average Portuguese!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Homus Afrikaans For This Useful Post:

Erick (2010-06-27)

Established Member Junior Member Bandeirante's Avatar
    Last Online
    2012-12-24 @ 19:19
    Raça de Gigantes
    Ethnicity
    Coolest Nationality
    Politics
    Building a SuperPower
    Religion
    BRIC Rule - Lulismo
    Suebi Kingdom Portugal Order of Christ Portugal 1485 Brazil

The Portuguese people always managed to defeat the Castilians in Europe to survive as a National State and in South America we have been able to build the biggest Ibero-American State, a future Superpower. Portugal is a National State and not a conquered dominated ethnie like the Basques, Catalans, Galicians, Scots, Welshes, Prussians, Afrikaanders and other failed ethnies.
    In Brazil we could always defeat the Castilians, Dutch, English, French several times because we used to have a Powerful Black Army ready to exterminate our enemies in the same way we today use our Blacks, Mulatos, Mestiços to win the football contests !

Last Online
    Triracial
    Phenotype
    Sinid
    Metaethnos
    Hispanic Caribbean
    Ethnicity
    Cibaeño
    Phenotype
    Sinid
    Politics
    Center

Quote Originally Posted by tweet View Post
    Im not surprised, the Portuguese have been roaming around west and central africa for centuries, its not surprising that they brought those genes back to their motherland Portugal.

I doubt the SSA genes is 100% neolithic in Portugal, if people like cristiano Ronaldo can easily pass for Portuguese despite having Cabo Verde admix, then i am assuming their are many more Portuguese with SSA genetics.
    He's part Cabo verde? I always thought he looked like a regular Southern European:
    http://images.fanpop.com/images/imag..._1000_1280.jpg

I don't see African.

Banned Molecular Biologist
    Last Online
    2010-09-13 @ 18:23
    Race
    Native American
    Ethnicity
    White
    Phenotype
    Mestizo feo y bigoton
    Politics
    Anti-afrocentrism
    Religion
    Paulismo
    El Salvador Germany Ossetia Thailand

Quote Originally Posted by Bandeirante View Post
    The Portuguese people always managed to defeat the Castilians in Europe to survive as a National State and in South America we have been able to build the biggest Ibero-American State, a future Superpower. Portugal is a National State and not a conquered dominated ethnie like the Basques, Catalans, Galicians, Scots, Welshes, Prussians, Afrikaanders and other failed ethnies.
    In Brazil we could always defeat the Castilians, Dutch, English, French several times because we used to have a Powerful Black Army ready to exterminate our enemies in the same way we today use our Blacks, Mulatos, Mestiços to win the football contests !
    How are Afrikaaners a failed, conquered ethnicity? They were tiny compared to the Blacks in South Africa yet they managed to impose themselves over them and threat them like shit in their own land, locating all of them inside impoverished Bantustans while a tiny minority of predominantly white Dutch mulattos Apartheided them and used all of their resources.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alto Impacto For This Useful Post:

Erick (2010-06-27), Zvit (2010-07-08)

Banned Molecular Biologist Zupan's Avatar
    Last Online
    2010-12-22 @ 21:03
    Y-DNA
    -
    mtDNA
    -
    Race
    Caucasoid
    Phenotype
    Mediterranid
    Metaethnos
    Slav
    Ethnicity
    Serb
    Phenotype
    -
    Politics
    Afro-centrist
    Religion
    Orthodox christianity
    Greece Maniot Russia Serbia coat of arms Sweden Tre Kronor Slovakia

In other words; Sucks to be portugese

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zupan For This Useful Post:

Erick (2010-06-27), nametaken (2010-09-13)

Established Member Molecular Biologist
    Last Online
    2012-08-14 @ 11:26
    Y-DNA
    J2
    mtDNA
    U4b1b
    Race
    Europoid
    Phenotype
    Mediterranid
    Metaethnos
    European-American
    Ethnicity
    Mid-Atlantic American
    Phenotype
    Mediterranoid
    Politics
    American isolationism
    Religion
    Agnostic athiest
    United States

I think there is too much obscurity in how much actual influence there is to be certain. As for "exotic" phenotypes, I think we need some more specific references(not from white-history please, that site is plagued with fallacies ). There are exotic individuals of all European countries though, and we can't be certain that it is relevant to exotic ancestry, especially when we must consider how low from a phenotypical standpoint this exotic ancestry would be.

Quote Originally Posted by tweet View Post
    if people like cristiano Ronaldo can easily pass for Portuguese despite having Cabo Verde admix, then i am assuming their are many more Portuguese with SSA genetics.
    I've never heard of him being part Cape Verdean until you mentioned it. Either way, that is hardly a logical way to go about things. For example, I could easily fit in many European countries, does that mean those Europeans have the non-European influence I have? Of course not. Phenotypical traits are only relevant in determining exotic ancestry to a point.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stefan For This Useful Post:

Alto Impacto (2010-05-21), Anodyne (2010-05-21)

Last Online
    Triracial
    Phenotype
    Sinid
    Metaethnos
    Hispanic Caribbean
    Ethnicity
    Cibaeño
    Phenotype
    Sinid
    Politics
    Center

Banned Molecular Biologist Zupan's Avatar
    Last Online
    2010-12-22 @ 21:03
    Y-DNA
    -
    mtDNA
    -
    Race
    Caucasoid
    Phenotype
    Mediterranid
    Metaethnos
    Slav
    Ethnicity
    Serb
    Phenotype
    -
    Politics
    Afro-centrist
    Religion
    Orthodox christianity
    Greece Maniot Russia Serbia coat of arms Sweden Tre Kronor Slovakia

total milf, something between an italian and a frenchie.

Anyway phenotypes are mostly based on a) geographical situation b) genetics c)bullshit

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Zupan For This Useful Post:

Erick (2010-06-27)

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast