Thread: Social stigma and Repression of Left-Handedness1465 days old

Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    Default Social stigma and Repression of Left-Handedness

Left handed people live in a world dominated by right-handed people, and many tools and procedures are designed to facilitate use by right-handed people, often without even realising difficulties placed on the left-handed."For centuries, left-handers have suffered unfair discrimination in a world designed for right-handers." However, as well as inconvenience, left-handed people have been considered unlucky or even malicious for their difference by the right-handed majority. In many European languages, including English, the word for the direction "right" also means "correct" or "proper". Throughout history, being left-handed was considered negative. The Latin word sinistra meant "left" as well as "unlucky" and this double meaning survives in European derivatives of Latin, and in the English word "sinister.' There are many negative connotations associated with the phrase "left-handed": clumsy, awkward, unlucky, insincere, sinister, malicious, and so on. A "left-handed compliment" is considered one that is unflattering or dismissive in meaning. In French, gauche means both "left" and "awkward" or "clumsy", while droit(e) (cognate to English direct) means both "right" and "straight", as well as "law" and the legal sense of "right". The name "Dexter" derives from the Latin for "right", as does the word "dexterity" meaning manual skill. As these are all very old words, they would tend to support theories indicating that the predominance of right-handedness is an extremely old phenomenon.

Black magic is sometimes referred to as the "left-hand path".

Left-handedness is still strongly discouraged in some cultures. In the Maswai culture in Africa, "almost 90 percent of teachers and parents said that if children show a left-handed tendency they should be forced to change to right-handedness." They believe that, "left-handers are less skilled and powerful."

Until very recently in Taiwan, left-handed people were strongly encouraged to switch to being right-handed, or at least switch to writing with the right hand. Indeed, the words right/left (正/倒 ) in Taiwanese Hokkien also mean correct/backwards. It is considered more difficult to write legible Chinese characters with the left hand than it is to write Latin letters, though difficulty is subjective and depends on the person in question. Because writing when moving one's hand away from its side of the body can cause smudging if the outward side of the hand is allowed to drag across the writing, it is considered easier to write the Latin alphabet with the right hand than with the left. Conversely, right-to-left alphabets such as the Arabic and Hebrew are considered easier to write with the left hand in general.

Left-to-right alphabets can be written smudge-free and in proper "forward slant" with the left hand if the paper is turned 1/4 turn clockwise (90 degrees to the right), and the left hand is drawn toward the body on forward strokes, and left to right on upward strokes (as expressed in directionality of the text). It is also possible to do calligraphy in this posture with the left hand, but using right-handed pen nibs. Otherwise, left-handed pen nibs are required in order to get the thick to thin stroke shapes correct for most "fonts", and the left-handed calligrapher is very likely to smudge the text. Left-handed pen nibs are not generally easy to find, and strokes may have to be done backwards from traditional right-handed calligraphic work rules to avoid nib jamming and splatter.

In Islam it is encouraged to use the right hand for acts considered good, like eating and drinking. The use of the left hand is encouraged when the act is considered base, such as cleaning oneself after urination or defecation. This is attested in various Hadiths by the Prophet Muhammad.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Left-ha...eft-handedness

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ioke For This Useful Post:

carlos (2010-08-29)

3. # ADS
    Advertisement bot

Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    E1b1b1b2a
    mtDNA
    L3b1a
    Metaethnos
    Rican
    Ethnicity
    Jewish
    Phenotype
    Dinarized Alpine/Berid
    Religion
    christ follower
    United States

yea it sucks i hate using scissors and every time i write in pencil i always get the shades of lead on my fingers >_<

Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    R-P312 [Italo-Celtic]
    mtDNA
    H2a2a1 [N.Germanic]
    Metaethnos
    Graeco-Romance
    Ethnicity
    Northwestern Sicilian
    Phenotype
    Berid;Alpinid;E.Med
    Politics
    Libertarianism
    Religion
    Catholicism
    Italy Sicily-II United States Argentina Malta
    Italy - Sicilian Independence Movement Greece - Byzantine eagle Pirate Party United States - Libertarian Party Assyrian Zowaa emblem

Yes. I'm very aware. My handwriting is among the worst in my family because I was the first left-handed person (that wasn't re-programmed to use their right hand) and there was no one to teach me how to do things properly. I have some pretty sloppy friends though, so I don't feel too terrible.

However, in the past two decades four of my younger male cousins have become left-handed, so it is clearly a genetic trait in my family. Interestingly enough, the ones that are left-handed share a lot in common with each-other that we do not share with our right-handed cousins/brothers, so I can vouch that the things they say about brain development are very accurate.

I don't bother with left handed scissors, pens, etc. but I do have a few left-handed coffee mugs. I prefer to buy knives, for instance, that are serrated on both sides rather than one or the other, so that a right-handed person could use it without trouble.

I have trouble using some things, but I don't let it get to me. After a while you get used to it. I mean, I've seen computers with the mouse and number pad on the left side for left-handed people and I think to myself "how absurd!".

TIMELINE OF THE OCCUPATION OF SICILY:
    Native Sicanians, Sicels, & Elymians ca. 8000 BC [Map]
    Phoenician colonists ca. 1100 BC [Map]
    Doric & Ionic Greek colonists ca. 750 BC [Map]
    Romans ca. 288 BC [Map]
    Vandals ca. 440 AD & Goths ca. 488 AD [Map]
    Byzantine Greeks ca. 535 AD [Map]
    Arabs & Berbers ca. 902 AD [Map]
    Normans ca. 1061 AD & Swabians ca. 1198 AD & Angevins ca. 1266 AD [Map]
    Aragonese & Catalans ca. 1282 AD & Castillians 1516 AD [Map]
    Savoyards 1713 AD & Austrians 1718 AD & Neapolitans 1734 AD [Map]
    Italians 1861 AD - Present [Map]

Established Member
    Last Online
    2011-08-11 @ 02:42
    Europid
    Metaethnos
    Hispanic
    Ethnicity
    Spaniard
    Politics
    Right
    Religion
    Catholic
    Spain Croatia Cambodia South Africa Serbia

Wow, I didn't know all this. Thanks for posting!
    It's not that I hate you, but let's say that if I had two bullets and Hitler was next to you, I would rather shoot you...twice

Established Member
    Techno Cattle
    Last Online
    @
    Americanoid
    Metaethnos
    Mexicano
    Ethnicity
    Chilango Norteño
    Mexico

Quote Originally Posted by alfieb View Post
    Yes. I'm very aware. My handwriting is among the worst in my family because I was the first left-handed person (that wasn't re-programmed to use their right hand) and there was no one to teach me how to do things properly. I have some pretty sloppy friends though, so I don't feel too terrible.

However, in the past two decades four of my younger male cousins have become left-handed, so it is clearly a genetic trait in my family. Interestingly enough, the ones that are left-handed share a lot in common with each-other that we do not share with our right-handed cousins/brothers, so I can vouch that the things they say about brain development are very accurate.

I don't bother with left handed scissors, pens, etc. but I do have a few left-handed coffee mugs. I prefer to buy knives, for instance, that are serrated on both sides rather than one or the other, so that a right-handed person could use it without trouble.

I have trouble using some things, but I don't let it get to me. After a while you get used to it. I mean, I've seen computers with the mouse and number pad on the left side for left-handed people and I think to myself "how absurd!".
    I'm a leftie raised by right-handed parents as well. I curl my hand when holding a pencil, my friends says it looks really awkward. They also say my handwriting looks like a doctor's. I can relate to almost everything you just posted. I need to get me some leftie mugs.

Despite our awkwardness, we shall conquer the world! Just ask Napoleon.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Tenochkatl For This Useful Post:

alfieb (2010-08-29)

Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    R-P312 [Italo-Celtic]
    mtDNA
    H2a2a1 [N.Germanic]
    Metaethnos
    Graeco-Romance
    Ethnicity
    Northwestern Sicilian
    Phenotype
    Berid;Alpinid;E.Med
    Politics
    Libertarianism
    Religion
    Catholicism
    Italy - Sicilian Independence Movement Greece - Byzantine eagle Pirate Party United States - Libertarian Party Assyrian Zowaa emblem

Quote Originally Posted by Tenochkatl View Post
    I'm a leftie raised by right-handed parents as well. I curl my hand when holding a pencil, my friends says it looks really awkward. They also say my handwriting looks like a doctor's.I can relate to almost everything you just posted. I need to get me some leftie mugs.

Despite our awkwardness, we shall conquer the world! Just ask Napoleon.
    Yeah. I've had that "Your handwriting is worse than a doctor's!" too many times to count.

I also curl my hand, but it isn't something I notice, it's something other people notice. When I'm at work, left-handed customers especially get a kick out of it.

Romans ca. 288 BC [Map]

Established Member
    Last Online
    @

I have 2 groupmates who were left-handed...and in a table while I'm sitting next to them, they'd be writing on their left and me on my right...we always bump arms or hands!

But other than that, lefties are just like the rest of us.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Ioke For This Useful Post:

jibarodepr (2010-08-29)

Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    R-P312 [Italo-Celtic]
    mtDNA
    H2a2a1 [N.Germanic]
    Metaethnos
    Graeco-Romance
    Ethnicity
    Northwestern Sicilian
    Phenotype
    Berid;Alpinid;E.Med
    Politics
    Libertarianism
    Religion
    Catholicism

That's why I always sit on the left side when I go to a restaurant. Their elbows don't appreciate me anywhere else.

Romans ca. 288 BC [Map]

Last Online
    2010-10-05 @ 12:44
    Italy Venice

Quote Originally Posted by Ioke View Post
    [B]

In Islam it is encouraged to use the right hand for acts considered good, like eating and drinking. The use of the left hand is encouraged when the act is considered base, such as cleaning oneself after urination or defecation. This is attested in various Hadiths by the Prophet Muhammad.
    i would still use leaves in the Prophets place

Left handed people are very useful in sports or when a repetitive job involves taking sides. In tennis for example a double has more chances to win a game when one player is left handed.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Don Keebals For This Useful Post:

Ioke (2010-08-30)