O1a1*
    mtDNA
    E1a1a
    Ethnicity
    Filipino-American
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Philippines United States

I have a DNA relative on 23andme and his/her parents are from my dad's hometown in Bicol. I shared my 23andme's AC composition with her. It's rare to see her European ancestry which is 29.1% on speculative mode and 28.2% on standard mode. It's really rare to see the large amount of European ancestry in the majority of the Filipino population.
    Filipinos don't realize that victory is the child of struggle, that joy blossoms from suffering, and redemption is a product of sacrifice-Jose Rizal
    The youth is the hope of our future.-Jose Rizal

2. # ADS
    Advertisement bot

Established Member
    Last Online
    @

Quote Originally Posted by PinayWoman View Post
    I have a DNA relative on 23andme and his/her parents are from my dad's hometown in Bicol. I shared my 23andme's AC composition with her. It's rare to see her European ancestry which is 29.1% on speculative mode and 28.2% on standard mode. It's really rare to see the large amount of European ancestry in the majority of the Filipino population.
    Maybe, both side of her parents and she have recent ancestor where she got that high percentage. Those with smaller percentage is because their ancestor married with mixture more of Austronesian Ancestry, Sangley, or Negrito and distant Ancestor etc. and what if you got your European gene from your ancestor from 16th or 17th century do you think it will still show from genetic make up? Or DNA Cause I don't know. Like the relatives of Gabriela Silang, the Carino from 1740's for example. There's only few European that really made contact with and in certain areas only. But it's not true that you can't find it to lower classes.

^there were some mestizo kids in 3:58 from hospicio de San Jose (orphanage)
    Last edited by simple; 2014-12-18 at 23:03.

Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    O1a1*
    mtDNA
    E1a1a
    Ethnicity
    Filipino-American
    Religion
    Agnostic

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Maybe, both side of her parents and she have recent ancestor where she got that high percentage. Those with smaller percentage is because their ancestor married with mixture more of Austronesian Ancestry, Sangley, or Negrito and distant Ancestor etc. and what if you got your European gene from your ancestor from 16th or 17th century do you think it will still show from genetic make up? Or DNA Cause I don't know. Like the relatives of Gabriela Silang, the Carino from 1740's for example. There's only few European that really made contact and in certain areas only too.
    Some Filipinos from 23andme equate the low percent of European ancestry with the statistical noise and they question the percentage of Filipinos' 23andme results because of the low percentage. For example, I looked into another thread about the native Americans' 23andme results, I'm surprised that Mayan Guatemalans have around 1%-5% European ancestry on their 23andme results. So, do that count as the statistical noise or is it possible that they have a distant ancestor like some Filipinos do? So, they leave us with the question of our interpretation of the AC composition results.
    Filipinos don't realize that victory is the child of struggle, that joy blossoms from suffering, and redemption is a product of sacrifice-Jose Rizal

Established Member
    Last Online
    @

Some Filipinos from 23andme equate the low percent of European ancestry with the statistical noise and they question the percentage of Filipinos' 23andme results because of the low percentage. For example, I looked into another thread about the native Americans' 23andme results, I'm surprised that Mayan Guatemalans have around 1%-5% European ancestry on their 23andme results. So, do that count as the statistical noise or is it possible that they have a distant ancestor like some Filipinos do? So, they leave us with the question of our interpretation of the AC composition results.
    The Mexicans better known as Spaniards (criollos) from Latin America before they got their independence that came in were already mixed so the tendency they get more smaller percentage our mestizos were mixed of people too like with sangley etc. because they sometimes intermarried and the spaniards directly made contact only during 1821-1898.

^notice why they look so different, our mestizos during Spanish colonial era.
    Last edited by simple; 2014-12-19 at 01:18.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to simple For This Useful Post:

PinayWoman (2014-12-23)

Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    O1a1*
    mtDNA
    E1a1a
    Ethnicity
    Filipino-American
    Religion
    Agnostic

^ Most of the women in the video look typical Filipina, in my opinion. Since I have made some acquaintances with active 23andme members on the Filipino forums, I have shared my 23andme's AC composition results with them. Their European ancestry vary from North European to Southern European with at least 1 percent. One of them have at least 2% of European ancestry, especially scoring on Northern European higher than Southern European. I found the Filipino genetics fascinating.

Btw, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.

Established Member
    Last Online
    @

^ Most of the women in the video look typical Filipina, in my opinion. Since I have made some acquaintances with active 23andme members on the Filipino forums, I have shared my 23andme's AC composition results with them. Their European ancestry vary from North European to Southern European with at least 1 percent. One of them have at least 2% of European ancestry, especially scoring on Northern European higher than Southern European. I found the Filipino genetics fascinating.

Most of the ladies in the photo was already 3rd or 4th descendant or more, I guess the mestizos before they have certain attire which is the traje de mestizas Filipiniana. Most of them was Tornatras (Austronesian Malay + mestizo de sangley + mestizo Espanol). So obviously the Native Filipino is still huge even if they mix with the mestizos. By the way, merry Xmas to you too
    Last edited by simple; 2014-12-23 at 10:24.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to simple For This Useful Post:

PinayWoman (2014-12-23)

Established Member
    Last Online
    @

So those with distant Spanish/Mexican Mestizo Ancestries their descendant are now considered Tornatras which is most of the Filipinos today has it those which you will see only from DNA but from Phenotype you can't see anymore even if both sides do have it unless they have more recent ancestor. I have so many neighbours who has Mestizo de Sangley surnames like Cotengco, Guico, Sison, Tantiangco, Tiong , Dizon, etc. from Poblacion from our family some married with surnames like Gozon and Tuazon. Try checking your genealogy lol you'll see. Mestizo de Sangley are also Catholics different from those Recent Chinoys or Tsinoy immigrant culturally who still practice strong Chinese culture.
    Last edited by simple; 2014-12-24 at 01:45.

Established Member
    Last Online
    @

This is the mother of my spanish Mestiza gg-grandmother, I want to know which part is her native Filipino ethnic, do you think she's Mestiza too or full blooded Austronesian Malay?
    Last edited by simple; 2014-12-24 at 02:59.

Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    O1a1*
    mtDNA
    E1a1a
    Ethnicity
    Filipino-American
    Religion
    Agnostic

Simple, um..it's hard to tell by her phenotype. She looks probably Mestiza.

Marian Rivera's parents

Her dad is a full blooded Spaniard. She obviously looks like her dad but she looks Asian to me despite her phenotype.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to PinayWoman For This Useful Post:

simple (2015-01-01)

Established Member
    Last Online
    @

Simple, um..it's hard to tell by her phenotype. She looks probably Mestiza.

Marian Rivera's parents

Her dad is a full blooded Spaniard. She obviously looks like her dad but she looks Asian to me despite her phenotype.
    Same case as Beauty Gonzalez

But Beauty is more Asian looking though

15. The Following User Says Thank You to simple For This Useful Post:

PinayWoman (2015-01-01)

Page 41 of 49 FirstFirst ... 31 39 40 41 42 43 ... LastLast