User Tag List

Page 48 of 49 FirstFirst ... 38 46 47 48 49 LastLast

Thread: Spanish Filipinos3299 days old

Established Member
    Last Online
    @

Felipe Gonzales Roca Calderon

Felipe Gonzáles Calderón y Roca, also known as Felipe G. Calderon (April 4, 1868 – July 6, 1908) was a Filipino lawyer, politician, and intellectual, known as the "Father of the Malolos Constitution".

Calderón was born in Santa Cruz de Malabon (now Tanza), Cavite, to José Gonzáles Calderón and Manuela Roca.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felipe...no_politician)
    Last edited by simple; 2016-06-19 at 14:42.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement bot

Established Member
    Last Online
    @

Eduardo Garcia with wife and children

His Daughter Consuelo 'Lito' Garcia - Jones serves as Philippine Tourism Attache from
    Sydney and New Zealand. Last 2015 she went back to Manila's head office post.

Manila born Lito is of a mixed heritage (Portuguese-English-Irish) from her mother Ethyl Lyttle (who married a handsome Manileño) Eduardo Garcia from a Spanish-Filipino ancestry, thus Ms. Jones' friends and fellow Assumptionistas of the Assumption convent where she studied all the way from grade school to college in the Philippines nicknamed her.... "Jonesy".
    http://www.muntingnayon.com/page/104411/index.php
    Last edited by simple; 2016-06-19 at 14:28.

Established Member
    Last Online
    @

Filipino Mestizo.
    Diego Gutierrez looks very much Mestizo like his siblings of course.
    He got the Spanish roots from the Herranz, Atayde, Gutierrez and Corrales.

His Grandfather Eddie Gutierrez or Jorge Eduardo Pickett Gutierrez in real life
    Jorge Eduardo Pickett Gutierrez was born at 4:50 AM on January 6, 1942 at Manila Doctors' Hospital in Ermita, Manila.[1] He is the son of Antonio Atayde Gutierrez, Jr. (1914 in Santa Mesa, Manila - February 10, 1954 in Santa Mesa, Manila),[3] a Filipino mestizo, and Mary Rufina Herranz Pickett (born November 24, 1916 in Tondo, Manila),[4] a Filipina of Canadian and Spanish descent. His parents were married on April 14, 1939 in Santa Mesa, Manila.[5]

His paternal grandfather was Antonio María Rogelio Gutiérrez del Campo (September 16, 1866 in Santander, Spain - June 21, 1952 in Santa Mesa, Manila), Spanish merchant,[6][7] while his maternal grandfather was John Thomas Pickett (February 17, 1868 in Ontario - March 8, 1939 in Manila), a Canadian businessman who established Pickett & Co. associated with harness making, leather goods, rope and mining.[8]
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddie_Gutierrez_(actor)

Established Member
    Last Online
    @

Carlota Zaragoza - Gopal

^She married an Indian merchant from Escolta Manila Mr. Gopal.

http://www.lougopal.com/manila/?paged=4
    Last edited by simple; 2016-07-27 at 07:21.

Last Online
    @
    Filipino
    Philippines ASEAN

Note: This is not to brag my ancestry. I know the deal with colonial mentality. I'll have you know that I consider myself Filipino/Southeast Asian despite being mistaken as Chinese, be it half or full. I took interest in Genealogy just recently, but I have long before known about this. I'm sharing solely because it's relevant to the topic. As some might have mentioned already, it's unknown how many Filipinos have Spanish ancestry, distant or not, for the Philippine government don't care much for that. It's highly likely to see Spanish mestizos in the early and mid-20th century. But 21st? Nah, I don't think so. They're rare. Spaniards then were a minority, and their descendants still are.

I'm not Spanish-Filipino (mestizo español), but a paternal great-grandmother was. I was lucky enough to be able to spend time with her during summer vacations, and I know quite a lot not just about her life but also about her family (all thanks to relatives that took interest in Genealogy as well). Here's her picture with my father:

Her parents:
    Her father was born in Valencia, Spain while her mom was obviously a native. The patriarch of the clan died in Harrison Ave., Pasay. Her mom, on one hand, died in Makati.

Her siblings:

They were all born in San Pedro de Macati, Rizal (now Makati city). My great-grandmother was born in 1918 and moved in BF Homes after the Battle of Manila.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to e_r For This Useful Post:

Leo Iscariot (2016-09-01), simple (2016-08-31)

Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    O1a1*
    mtDNA
    E1a1a
    Ethnicity
    Filipino-American
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Philippines United States

Quote Originally Posted by e_r View Post
    Note: This is not to brag my ancestry. I know the deal with colonial mentality. I'll have you know that I consider myself Filipino/Southeast Asian despite being mistaken as Chinese, be it half or full. I took interest in Genealogy just recently, but I have long before known about this. I'm sharing solely because it's relevant to the topic. As some might have mentioned already, it's unknown how many Filipinos have Spanish ancestry, distant or not, for the Philippine government don't care much for that. It's highly likely to see Spanish mestizos in the early and mid-20th century. But 21st? Nah, I don't think so. They're rare. Spaniards then were a minority, and their descendants still are.

I'm not Spanish-Filipino (mestizo español), but a paternal great-grandmother was. I was lucky enough to be able to spend time with her during summer vacations, and I know quite a lot not just about her life but also about her family (all thanks to relatives that took interest in Genealogy as well). Here's her picture with my father:

Her parents:
    Her father was born in Valencia, Spain while her mom was obviously a native. The patriarch of the clan died in Harrison Ave., Pasay. Her mom, on one hand, died in Makati.

Her siblings:

They were all born in San Pedro de Macati, Rizal (now Makati city). My great-grandmother was born in 1918 and moved in BF Homes after the Battle of Manila.
    It's nice to see another Filipino poster around here. Few Filipino posters are here I'm Filipino American.

Genealogy is one of my hobbies.

Are you able to track your paternal grandparent's records to verify he's mestizo de espanol?

I took AncestryDNA test few years ago mainly because I was curious whether I have a Spanish ancestry or not. The thing that surprises me a lot is my DNA ends up matching with a distant cousin from Spain on AncestryDNA and again on 23andme. Her surname is same as my paternal great grandmother. My dad grows up in the rural province in Bicol. I assume that Spanish people didn't settle in Bicol. To my surprise, my distant cousins from Bicol have a few percentage on the Iberian component on 23andme.
    Filipinos don't realize that victory is the child of struggle, that joy blossoms from suffering, and redemption is a product of sacrifice-Jose Rizal
    The youth is the hope of our future.-Jose Rizal

9. The Following User Says Thank You to PinayWoman For This Useful Post:

e_r (2016-09-02)

Established Member
    Last Online
    @

Her parents:

Her siblings:

Thanks again for sharing. I agree with you that most spanish mestizos exist mostly during the early or mid 20th century.
    What is your great grandfather surname?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PinayWoman View Post
    It's nice to see another Filipino poster around here. Few Filipino posters are here I'm Filipino American.

Genealogy is one of my hobbies.

Are you able to track your paternal grandparent's records to verify he's mestizo de espanol?

I took AncestryDNA test few years ago mainly because I was curious whether I have a Spanish ancestry or not. The thing that surprises me a lot is my DNA ends up matching with a distant cousin from Spain on AncestryDNA and again on 23andme. Her surname is same as my paternal great grandmother. My dad grows up in the rural province in Bicol. I assume that Spanish people didn't settle in Bicol. To my surprise, my distant cousins from Bicol have a few percentage on the Iberian component on 23andme.
    Hi! Pinay, lol we almost reply at the same time. Yeah, I am glad that there's another Filipino around.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to simple For This Useful Post:

e_r (2016-09-02)

Last Online
    @
    Filipino
    Philippines ASEAN

Sadly, no, not yet at least. According to his children themselves, he was born in Valencia, Spain. His surname was Aparici. Recently, I stumbled upon a 1510 census record of people from Valencia. I looked for his surname, Aparici, and found 7 people with that surname. There's a hypothesis within the family that his family was originally from Italy, so I think it's now null/false because I found that census record.

You know how hard it is to look for old records in the Philippines. I have spent months looking for records of some ancestors but to no avail. Some were easy, but the others proved to be challenging. I have yet to go to the National Archives so I still have hope!

Last Online
    @
    Filipino
    Philippines ASEAN

My great-great-grandfather's surname is Aparici. My great-grandmother died as a Montoya because she married a Mexican in the US, but they parted because she left for the Philippines for reasons unknown. I'd have to ask my grandmother!

Established Member
    Last Online
    @

Sadly, no, not yet at least. According to his children themselves, he was born in Valencia, Spain. His surname was Aparici. Recently, I stumbled upon a 1510 census record of people from Valencia. I looked for his surname, Aparici, and found 7 people with that surname. There's a hypothesis within the family that his family was originally from Italy, so I think it's now null/false because I found that census record.

You know how hard it is to look for old records in the Philippines. I have spent months looking for records of some ancestors but to no avail. Some were easy, but the others proved to be challenging. I have yet to go to the National Archives so I still have hope!
    Yeah, it's hard to actually look for old records specially in the Philippines. did you try in Mormon church cause we found some old records there.

Page 48 of 49 FirstFirst ... 38 46 47 48 49 LastLast