User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you know the names of all four of your grandparents?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

11 91.67%
  • No

1 8.33%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Do You Know Your Family History? Third Of Americans Can’t Even Name All 4 Grandparents, Survey Finds279 days old

Established Member
    NO. 9
    Last Online
    Today @ 22:06

I did not know three of my grandparents because they died before i was born. I do and have since I can remember know who they were and their names. The paternal grandmother I remember was actually my grand aunt. My paternal grandfather married my grandmother’s sister after her death. So my dad’s tia was also his step-mother. My tio was my dad’s “brosin”, half brother/half cousin. I do remember my dad’s tia/step mom and we called her grandma. My grandfather, however died before my time.
    On my maternal side I very much remember my grandfather. My maternal grandmother died before i was born. I always remember seeing pics of both sets of grandparents. My maternal step grandmother was not blood related as was my paternal one.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement bot

Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    Doggerlandic
    Ethnicity
    South Norse
    Phenotype
    Kostenkioid
    Politics
    Relativism
    Religion
    None
    Denmark Viking Finland Spain Castile

Quote Originally Posted by a_garcia49 View Post
    I grew up knowing all four of my adoptive grandparents, as well as hearing some stories of their own parents(adoptive great grandparents). Additionally, I've been using AncestryDNA's records to help research my adoptive family's history, figure they would find it interesting, even though it doesn't necessarily apply to me.

I don't know my own biological parents, nor grandparents. However, with DNA testing and lots of trial/error triangulation with my DNA matches, I've been able to approximate some of my very likely 2nd great grandparents and back to the 1600's. Seems I have the opposite issue from most other people, I know some of my historical ancestors(late 1800's and back), but not my recent family.
    Just a belated comment - I actually also knew them all if adoptive grandparents count, but I still voted "no" because I don't know the name of my biological grandfather on my dad's side. It's also common here just to know your grandparent via their functional name (which in my language is specific for each grandparent, maternal grandfather is something like "father of mother" in my language, it has a specific word for that specific grandparent) instead of their real name (at least as a child, I guess most people get to know their name over time). So even if you're close, you may not always think of them by their name. This is how we address them, we usually don't use their names. Maybe it's the same in the US, but I don't know about that, "grandfather" doesn't seem specific(?)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JaM For This Useful Post:

a_garcia49 (2019-01-31)

Established Member
    Last Online
    2019-10-05 @ 02:48
    Q-M3
    mtDNA
    A2
    Ethnicity
    Mexican-American
    Phenotype
    Mestizo
    Religion
    Atheist
    United States Mexico

Quote Originally Posted by JaM View Post
    Just a belated comment - I actually also knew them all if adoptive grandparents count, but I still voted "no" because I don't know the name of my biological grandfather on my dad's side. It's also common here just to know your grandparent via their functional name (which in my language is specific for each grandparent, maternal grandfather is something like "father of mother" in my language, it has a specific word for that specific grandparent) instead of their real name (at least as a child, I guess most people get to know their name over time). So even if you're close, you may not always think of them by their name. This is how we address them, we usually don't use their names. Maybe it's the same in the US, but I don't know about that, "grandfather" doesn't seem specific(?)
    As far as I know, in the US, many people don't have a specific term for their paternal/maternal grandparents, they're all just grandparents, or whatever endearing nickname they have. Most who know their grandparents, also know their actual names, but they refer to them in a grandparent term.

In my own personal family, I usually called my paternal grandparents "grandpa and grandma", where my maternal grandparents had nicknames that my cousins and I used.
    "Living or dying, it's not a big deal. What we should be concerned about is whether or not we're allowed to crawl to our graves."

6. The Following User Says Thank You to a_garcia49 For This Useful Post:

JaM (2019-02-01)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4