proto-Semitic
    Ethnicity
    Assyrian/Armenian
    Politics
    Environment, Cannabis
    Religion
    Secular Agnostic
    Assyria Assyria 1913-1923 Armenia Lebanon Sweden Greece

Default Let's make the world a better place?

Michael Jackson (PBUH ) always used to say "let's make the world a better place". Now personally I have a different idea of how the world would be a better place than what Michael Jackson had in mind, but anyway, I wonder how come very few of the ABF members have participated in the distributed computing projects I've put together?

1) [email protected]
    2) BOINC

Seriously, this is very important, and those of you who aren't participating probably don't realise how important BOINC is. World Community Grid, for example, has important projects like Computing for Clean Water and The Clean Energy Project (among others), and I cannot understand why not more members are engaged in this sort of philanthropy.

Anyone who is progressive and supports science should participate in either BOINC or [email protected] You don't need the greatest computer in the world to participate, I used to do this with my 5 year old laptops and it worked fine. Ibercivis for example (similar to WCG) doesn't take much processing power and the work units are completed in a few hours.
    Last edited by EliasAlucard; 2010-11-12 at 09:56. Reason: clarify
    ReactOS <--- support this project so that we can get rid of Windows!
    Ubuntu MATE 16.04.1 LTS | PRISM-Break! | Windows7sins

“A wise man makes his own decisions; an ignorant man follows public opinion.” ― Chinese proverb

“Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under.” ― H. L. Mencken

“The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance.” ― Socrates

“Damnant quod non intelligunt.” ― Latin proverb

Quoted for truth:
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaron View Post
    Anatolian Urhemait supporters are mostly butthurt Meds.
    For the lulz:
    Quote Originally Posted by drgs View Post
    Poland is a misunderstanding. It is a country which lies on the frontier between western and slavic world, and which combines elements of both.
    In fact, they are not even the Europeans in strict sense, meaning European as in bearing the responsibility and understanding of European interests. Poland has always been an subordinate country, on one side sucking German dick, on the other side -- Russian one, some kind of "novice" europeans, who are full of inferiority complexes, hysteria and obsessity neuroses. This is also true for all Baltic countries

2. The Following User Says Thank You to EliasAlucard For This Useful Post:

Multilingual (2011-01-09)

3. # ADS
    Advertisement bot

Senior Moderator
    Plant of Life = Biological Magic 麻 EliasAlucard's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Y-DNA
    J1a2a1a2-P58+
    mtDNA
    H5a
    Race
    Caucasian
    Phenotype
    Alpinid
    Metaethnos
    proto-Semitic
    Ethnicity
    Assyrian/Armenian
    Politics
    Environment, Cannabis
    Religion
    Secular Agnostic

Short clip explaining why [email protected] is important for those of you who didn't get it:

http://folding.pcperpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html

Of course, the same arguments apply to BOINC as well, especially as there are biology/folding projects like [email protected], [email protected] etc. BOINC has the advantage of being open source, [email protected] has the advantage of using PlayStation 3.

“A wise man makes his own decisions; an ignorant man follows public opinion.” ― Chinese proverb

Quoted for truth:
    For the lulz:
    Poland is a misunderstanding. It is a country which lies on the frontier between western and slavic world, and which combines elements of both.
    In fact, they are not even the Europeans in strict sense, meaning European as in bearing the responsibility and understanding of European interests. Poland has always been an subordinate country, on one side sucking German dick, on the other side -- Russian one, some kind of "novice" europeans, who are full of inferiority complexes, hysteria and obsessity neuroses. This is also true for all Baltic countries

Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    Turkish
    Religion
    Islam

Quote Originally Posted by EliasAlucard View Post
    Seriously, this is very important, and those of you who aren't participating probably don't realise how important BOINC is. World Community Grid, for example, has important projects like Computing for Clean Water and The Clean Energy Project (among others), and I cannot understand why not more members are engaged in this sort of philanthropy.
    Because they don't care about humanity. Me and you obviously care. We are obviously amongst the great legends of our time.

Am I allowed to contribute with multiple usernames on WCG? Or is that breaking the rules?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ChechenRebelZ For This Useful Post:

EliasAlucard (2010-11-28)

Senior Moderator
    Last Online
    @
    Y-DNA
    J1a2a1a2-P58+
    mtDNA
    H5a
    Race
    Caucasian
    Phenotype
    Alpinid
    Metaethnos
    proto-Semitic
    Ethnicity
    Assyrian/Armenian
    Politics
    Environment, Cannabis
    Religion
    Secular Agnostic

Quote Originally Posted by ChechenRebelZ View Post
    Because they don't care about humanity. Me and you obviously care. We are obviously amongst the great legends of our time.

Am I allowed to contribute with multiple usernames on WCG? Or is that breaking the rules?
    You can contribute with whatever username you wish to use in whatever project or team you like. It's off forum anyway. However, it would be cooler if you contributed to the ABF teams.

Quoted for truth:
    For the lulz:

QBQ Banned
    Last Online
    2010-12-28 @ 04:16
    Caucasoid
    Phenotype
    Nordid
    Metaethnos
    Nordic
    Religion
    Atheist
    Viking

Anyone who is progressive and supports science should participate in either BOINC or [email protected]

I didnt know christians support science

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Valerio For This Useful Post:

Esekon Kimatt (2011-05-28)

Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    Turkish
    Religion
    Islam

You can contribute with whatever username you wish to use in whatever project or team you like. It's off forum anyway. However, it would be cooler if you contributed to the ABF teams.
    What I meant to say was can I make multiple user names for the ABF team on the world community grid projects. So for instance I am CRebelZ on the ABF team on WCG but can I make other user names like:

Sharia_4_da_Americas
    Islam_Will_Conquer_The_World
    Islam_Will_Dominate
    Jesus_Was_Muslim
    Christians_&_Jews_4_Sharia
    Islam_Is_Manifest_Destiny
    Goodbye_Christian_Cultural_Heritage_You_Wont_Be_Mi ssed
    Spain_Sicily_The_Balkans_Ukraine_Is_Muslim_Land_Un der_Infidel_Occupation

Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    Y-DNA
    R-M512
    mtDNA
    W3a1
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Sweden Norway Sweden Tre Kronor

I support it cause I do care. I don't contribute to science in real life. So this is the least I can do.
    "Say Goodbye To Sweden, It's Time To Go Home!"
    "By way of deception, thou shalt do war"

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ozrage For This Useful Post:

EliasAlucard (2010-12-04), Handskakning (2010-12-04)

Established Member
    Last Online
    2017-08-07 @ 18:57
    Ethnicity
    Chilean
    Phenotype
    Mediterranic
    Chile

To make the world a better place we need firs to get rid of all nuclear weapons. The probably WW3 would happen, but maybe humanity need a good old fashioned total war. The main problem of the word is over population, so maybe that would be the solution.

Senior Moderator
    Last Online
    @
    Y-DNA
    J1a2a1a2-P58+
    mtDNA
    H5a
    Race
    Caucasian
    Phenotype
    Alpinid
    Metaethnos
    proto-Semitic
    Ethnicity
    Assyrian/Armenian
    Politics
    Environment, Cannabis
    Religion
    Secular Agnostic

Quote Originally Posted by ChechenRebelZ View Post
    What I meant to say was can I make multiple user names for the ABF team on the world community grid projects. So for instance I am CRebelZ on the ABF team on WCG but can I make other user names like:

Sharia_4_da_Americas
    Islam_Will_Conquer_The_World
    Islam_Will_Dominate
    Jesus_Was_Muslim
    Christians_&_Jews_4_Sharia
    Islam_Is_Manifest_Destiny
    Goodbye_Christian_Cultural_Heritage_You_Wont_Be_Mi ssed
    Spain_Sicily_The_Balkans_Ukraine_Is_Muslim_Land_Un der_Infidel_Occupation
    Yeah sure, if you're so compassionate about giving the impression of yourself as an Islamic fanatic (lol! It's 2010 for Christ's sake; grow the fuck up, you misguided soul), then go ahead, be my guest, I don't care as long as you contribute properly to BOINC.

However, it may not be appreciated by Berkeley University and the other scientific institutions hosting these scientific projects, that some BOINC contributing members are shoving down their controversial political activism in everyone's throat through the username field. I cannot defend you there if the BOINC network suspends you or anything like that, as I don't control BOINC.

I'm also not sure if they allow that long usernames. But they probably allow something like islamshariaftw or some shit like that. In any case, you're more than welcome to contribute to BOINC

Quote Originally Posted by Ozrage View Post
    I support it cause I do care. I don't contribute to science in real life. So this is the least I can do.
    My sentiments exactly That's exactly how I look at it. This is the least we can do to help scientists with their important work.
    Last edited by EliasAlucard; 2011-06-02 at 20:54. Reason: clarify

Quoted for truth:
    For the lulz:

Last Online
    2011-05-15 @ 07:13
    Phenotype
    Iranid
    Metaethnos
    Eastern Iranic
    Ethnicity
    Pukhtun/Pak-American
    Politics
    Independent
    Religion
    Agnostic Secular Hum
    United States Pakistan

Clearly the internet is the most transformative tool ever developed and will change the world and possibly make it a better place, but it really depends upon how much of it ends up regulated and controlled by governments. Wikileaks showed people what should have been obvious, secrets are hard to keep in a world where the flow of information has a networking conduit. The recent unrest in the Arab world, which is a continuation of what happened in places like Ukraine and Georgia, now shows signs of spreading and it is communication that is the key in this regard. Couple this with the steadily accelerating pace of technological advancement and we will likely see many problems solved, but likely other problems arise. We need to define what better means as well. Hunger will likely become a relic of the past in the future (it could be now given greater cooperation), but wars will likely not for example. People will live longer (and if such a thing as shutting off the aging gene ever happens outside of science fiction, then overcrowding will return as an issue since currently global birthrates are in rapid decline) and this could lead to other issues. Still though, going back to communication, this is key as there is at least a semblance of a chance that problems can be resolved if there are more open lines of communication and transparency (even if enforced by a more independent media run by individuals and not commercial organizations).
    "Abbe Faria: In return for your help, I offer you something priceless.
    Edmond Dantes: My freedom?
    Abbe Faria: No, freedom can be taken away, as you well know. I offer you my knowledge."

-The Count of Monte Cristo

If in his heart there is no fear,
    his deeds are not those of the good,
    pay no heed to one who's skilled
    in quoting the Qur'an by heart.

Khushal Khan Khattak

The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.

Stephen Hawking

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast