User Tag List

View Poll Results: What is the ideal age, as a general rule, to become a grandparent for the first time?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Under 40

1 4.55%
  • 40-50

5 22.73%
  • 51-60

7 31.82%
  • 61-70

9 40.91%
  • Over 70

0 0%

Thread: Age to become a grandparent2953 days old

Established Member
    Last Online
    2016-05-10 @ 01:14
    Caucasian
    Metaethnos
    White boy
    Ethnicity
    English
    Phenotype
    Tory Boy-oid
    Politics
    Conservative Party
    Religion
    Tory boy
    England

Default Age to become a grandparent

At what age do you think it would be appropriate to become a grandparent, ideally? I know most people probably become grandparents in their mid 50s but it seems too young to me- does anyone else agree?
    I think your mid-60s is the correct time, once you're preparing to retire and can enjoy your grandchildren.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement bot

Established Member
    Last Online
    2013-01-23 @ 20:50
    E1b1b1a2* (E-V13)
    mtDNA
    U5b2a2
    Politics
    Equality
    Religion
    The view from nowhere
    Turkey

I agree mid-60s is the best age, however not because it is best for me but if i had children at 30, which I believe is the right age considering the dynamics of modern society and my children also roughly 'reproduce' at that age, it makes for a stronger family in which the bonds are not stretched, otherwise I expect (if I have children of my own around the age I see fit that is) that I will want grandchildren in my mid-50s, though it won't be the right time.

Established Member
    Last Online
    @

Quote Originally Posted by jr1 View Post
    At what age do you think it would be appropriate to become a grandparent, ideally? I know most people probably become grandparents in their mid 50s but it seems too young to me- does anyone else agree?
    I think your mid-60s is the correct time, once you're preparing to retire and can enjoy your grandchildren.
    You make it sound like it's up to them.

Established Member
    /II/
    Last Online
    @
    Agnostic
    United States

I'd say around 50-55 would be best if you want to enjoy your grandkids.

Say you have your own kids at 25-27 (decent age), they'll be around that age possibly with kids when you're in your early fifties so it's pretty sweet huh?

Though my dad is 56, I have an older brother and sister that are in their early thirties, brother just got married and I still don't have any nieces or nephews...

Established Member
    Last Online
    2016-05-10 @ 01:14
    Caucasian
    Metaethnos
    White boy
    Ethnicity
    English
    Phenotype
    Tory Boy-oid
    Politics
    Conservative Party
    Religion
    Tory boy
    England

Quote Originally Posted by Altay View Post
    You make it sound like it's up to them.
    It is in a way, my mom was almost 40 when I was born, my dad was 35. There's no way they will become grandparents before their mid 60s since I don't plan on having kids until I'm in my mid 30s. My parents told me it's generally better to enjoy life while you're young, get into a position where you are materially comfortable and have a stable job and are married/in a long term relationship and then have kids, rather than having kids at 20 and hoping the rest will fall into place.
    Horses for courses obviously and I don't wish to denigrate anyone, but I'm saying in my view later is better (albeit not too late, if you don't have kids until you're in your 50s they're less likely to be healthy and you probably won't be a grandparent).

---------- Post added 2010-12-19 at 03:56 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kyte View Post
    I agree mid-60s is the best age, however not because it is best for me but if i had children at 30, which I believe is the right age considering the dynamics of modern society and my children also roughly 'reproduce' at that age, it makes for a stronger family in which the bonds are not stretched, otherwise I expect (if I have children of my own around the age I see fit that is) that I will want grandchildren in my mid-50s, though it won't be the right time.
    Precisely, I'd say mid-60s is probably ideal but not much older. My maternal grandfather would have been 80 by the time I was born, had he been alive, so there's a happy medium between becoming a grandparent at 80 (or not at all) and becoming one at 40.

I suppose in your 50s you're more active, fewer health complaints etc and can engage in more hands on stuff. It depends on what you perceive to be an ideal role for a grandparent.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jr1 For This Useful Post:

aBonner (2010-12-23), Kyte (2010-12-19)

Established Member
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 14:30
    Race
    Europid
    Metaethnos
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    American
    Phenotype