Page 1 of 194 1 2 3 11 51 101 ... LastLast

Thread: Cape Verde and Cape Verdeans 🇨🇻3491 days old

Established Member
    Evolutionary Biologist
    Last Online
    2013-01-22 @ 07:07
    N/A

Default Cape Verde and Cape Verdeans 🇨🇻

The Republic of Cape Verde (pronounced /ˌkeɪp ˈvɜ:rd/ ) Portuguese: Cabo Verde, pronounced [ˈkabu ˈveɾdɨ]) is an island country, spanning an archipelago located in the Macaronesia ecoregion of the North Atlantic Ocean, off the western coast of Africa, opposite Mauritania and Senegal.
    It is slightly more than 4,000 km in area with an estimated population of over 500,000. The capital of Cape Verde is Praia. The previously uninhabited islands were discovered and colonized by the Portuguese in the 15th century, and attained independence from Portugal in 1975.
    As of 2007, Cape Verde is classified as a developing country after being promoted from Least Developed Countries status. About 20% of the population lives on less than $1.25 (U.S.) a day.

Around 71 percent of the population is Creole of mixed black African and Portuguese descent. The remainder of the population is mostly black Africans, with a small number of whites. The European men who colonized Cape Verde did not usually bring wives or families with them. As female African slaves were brought to the islands, inter-marriages occurred.[10]
    More than 85 percent of the population is nominally Roman Catholic,[16] though for a minority of the population Catholicism is syncretized with African influences.[2] The largest Protestant denomination is the Church of the Nazarene; other groups include the Seventh-day Adventist Church, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, the Assemblies of God, the Universal Church of the Kingdom of God, and various other Pentecostal and evangelical groups.[16] There are small Baha'i communities and a small Muslim community.[16] The number of atheists is estimated at less than 1 percent of the population.

President Pedro Verona Rodrigues Pires

Last edited by windie; 2009-12-28 at 21:20.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to windie For This Useful Post:

Homerus (2012-05-08), Malcolm Z (2010-02-02), oditous (2010-01-08), omm 'e m.e.r.d.a. (2012-02-05)

3. # ADS
    Advertisement bot

Established Member
    Evolutionary Biologist
    Last Online
    N/A

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to windie For This Useful Post:

Awale (2014-06-22), Homerus (2012-05-08), Malcolm Z (2010-02-02), oditous (2010-01-12), omm 'e m.e.r.d.a. (2012-02-05)

Established Member
    Evolutionary Biologist
    Last Online
    N/A

Cape Verdeans who could pass for people of the New world . Brazilians of course are number one, since Cape verdeans are basically Brazilians with out Amerindian influence.

Brazilians?

Dominican or Cuban?

Haitian or black Dominicans?
    Last edited by windie; 2010-01-25 at 17:25.

Established Member
    Last Online
    2019-07-03 @ 18:41
    E1b1b1a2*, R1b1b2a1a
    mtDNA
    L3b1a,L4b2,L3e1a2,U6a3
    Metaethnos
    Carribean
    Ethnicity
    Dominican
    Phenotype
    SudaBantu/Amerind/Med
    Dominican Republic African Union(OAS)

The Cape Verdeans i know here in the tri-state area always get confused for Dominican instantly, and the very light more portugese looking ones get confused for p.r. Its amazing how much they look like Dominicans, also because sometimes Iberian + Afro can produce Pseudo Tri-racial and Pseudo-Zambo looks, more often Pseudo-Triracial looks. But the closest i have seen to Dominicans is hands down Haitian "Mulattos" are indistinguishable from Dominicans, the only thing that sometimes distincts cape verdeans is some of them have this distant portugese influence look to them, also being of Sudanid Ancestry mostly where as D.R is mostly Congolese/Angolan ancestry also makes a subtle differnce, this is also the difference with Brazil, the Central-African influence is in my opinion the source of the "Bunda" which in itself is a Congolese word, that is found more commonly in Dominican and Brazilian women, this is less common but not absent in the sudanid sources for Cape Verde. I have met Cape Verdean women with very nice bodies here, but it doesnt compare to walking through washington heights on a summer day, (you will need a neck brace). In other words Dominican and Brazilian women have higher Bunda ratios

I think i'd be able to fit in smoothly into cape verdean despite some of my afroindegenous features, because some iberian mixes produce this as well.

QBQ Banned
    Molecular Biologist
    Last Online
    2010-09-06 @ 13:26
    Y-DNA
    L1
    mtDNA
    N
    Race
    Caucasoid
    Phenotype
    Indid
    Metaethnos
    Indo Dravidian
    United States

This picture is extremely dolichocephalic.

QBQ Banned
    Last Online
    2014-05-10 @ 20:45
    Chilean
    Phenotype
    Saddam Husseinic
    Politics
    Humanistic
    Religion
    Free market genetics
    Chile Chile Mapuche Spain traditional Amazigh Hispanidad

It is curious that Africans never managed to colonize Cape Verde, and that they had to way to the Portuguese masters to bring them there.

Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    American
    Phenotype
    Winner
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Wealth & Family
    Spain traditional France fleur de lis United States United States Flanders lion Santiago de los Caballeros

Quote Originally Posted by Lemba View Post
    But the closest i have seen to Dominicans is hands down Haitian "Mulattos" are indistinguishable from Dominicans
    Definitely. Seeing the rich and elite dancing and drinking in clubs of Petionville I thought it was a club in Santiago. Light skinned/White/tri-racial looking people.

Established Member
    Evolutionary Biologist
    Last Online
    N/A

Last edited by windie; 2010-01-31 at 16:55.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to windie For This Useful Post:

TerryCarr (2014-01-01)

Established Member
    Last Online
    2019-07-03 @ 18:41
    E1b1b1a2*, R1b1b2a1a
    mtDNA
    L3b1a,L4b2,L3e1a2,U6a3
    Metaethnos
    Carribean
    Ethnicity
    Dominican
    Phenotype
    SudaBantu/Amerind/Med
    Dominican Republic African Union(OAS)

Quote Originally Posted by pinguin View Post
    It is curious that Africans never managed to colonize Cape Verde, and that they had to way to the Portuguese masters to bring them there.
    This is a dumb comment, first of Africans lived in Climates and Societies that where so balanced at the time that there was no need to "conquer" anything, people who need to "conquer" are often people who are unconfortable in their settings, such as people who live in cold or arid, or atrocious climates, looking for better land. If i was living in a place with very fertile soil and a balanced society based on community and matrifocal lineages i would not attempt to cross an ocean and risk my life.

Also Africans did go to some islands without "Europeans" bringing them to them in case thats what you are wondering, the Bissago islands are an example of this.

14. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Lemba For This Useful Post:

'L' (2011-04-29), AMICHAI (2013-09-04), Caine (2011-06-11), Elijah (2012-06-12), Hybrid99 (2011-05-03), jonboyclem (2011-12-16), oditous (2010-02-02), pgbk87 (2011-05-03), Terry2 (2014-12-10)

QBQ Banned
    Last Online
    2014-05-10 @ 20:45
    Chilean
    Phenotype
    Saddam Husseinic
    Politics
    Humanistic
    Religion
    Free market genetics
    Chile Chile Mapuche Spain traditional Amazigh Hispanidad

Quote Originally Posted by Lemba View Post
    This is a dumb comment, first of Africans lived in Climates and Societies that where so balanced at the time that there was no need to "conquer" anything, people who need to "conquer" are often people who are unconfortable in their settings, such as people who live in cold or arid, or atrocious climates, looking for better land. If i was living in a place with very fertile soil and a balanced society based on community and matrifocal lineages i would not attempt to cross an ocean and risk my life.

Also Africans did go to some islands without "Europeans" bringing them to them in case thats what you are wondering, the Bissago islands are an example of this.

No. It is not dumb. Never heared about West Africans conquering the Americas? Well, the truth is that they didn't even settled Cape Verde. That island was empty when Portuguese arrived.

It is also false that "Africans had societies so balanced there was no need to conquer". The Bantu expansion devasted the Pigmey and Khoi-San populations of Central and Southern Africa. So, don't tell me a fantasy about ecologically ballanced bantues.

Conclusion. Bantues were pretty bad sailors.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to pinguin For This Useful Post:

EiCibaeño (2010-01-31)

Page 1 of 194 1 2 3 11 51 101 ... LastLast