Metaethnos
    Troll
    Ethnicity
    Serbian+Jewish
    Politics
    RED
    Religion
    BOKONONISM
    Serbia Red flag Israel Star of David Skull and crossbones Serbia coat of arms

Talking Melungeons

Melungeons are an interesting triracial group of people scattered throughout Appalachia. Historians and anthropologists have struggled to categorize them throughout history, but as modern genetics has shown, they tend to be an extreme mix of Southern European(My own generalization. They are often said to be Sephardi Jewish or Portuguese) Black African, and Native American. Many ..revisionist.. historians claim that they are not a mix, but actually just Turks or "Carthaginians" who migrated to the US. This, however, seems mostly to be an attempt to distance the Melungeons from African blood. The Y DNA is primarily R1, E1, with A and Q, and smaller amounts of J2 and I. What is your opinion on their origin? Any justification for some of the more.. outlandish theories?

Another, more personal question: Since the Melungeons are a multi racial group, would the child of a Melungeon and a European still be considered Melungeon? And if that child married, say, a Jew.. would the Melungeon's grandchild still be considered Melungeon?(That'd be me. Finally found out wherefrom/what my grandfather was....explains why I look so ridiculously mixed.)
    Last edited by Harrignos; 2011-03-04 at 22:12.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement bot

Established Member
    puttin' in yer windies
    Last Online
    @
    Y-DNA
    R-DF99
    mtDNA
    H3ap

From what I understand Melungeon's are really impossible to lump together since they all seem to be different mixes of different things, with the Cumberland Gap Y-DNA Project I'm guessing some of those odd Y-DNA haplogroups are from Melungeon's (i.e. those that are connected to Semites and such, it's harder to tell whether the African haplogroups in the project came from Aframs or Melungeons as communication with other project members is very limited).

Established Member
    chief shitting bull
    Last Online
    2018-03-08 @ 13:27
    Race
    Europoid
    Phenotype
    Alpinid
    Austria Germany Bavaria Viking Scotland Ireland

are these anything like the black dutch? ive heard the word black dutch come up ALOT when describing my mothers side,which was and is from kentucky and indiana...
    one step closer to world domination.

QBQ Banned
    Molecular Biologist
    Last Online
    2011-09-19 @ 22:04
    Y-DNA
    J2a4h2a
    mtDNA
    H*
    Race
    Caucasoid
    Metaethnos
    Troll
    Ethnicity
    Serbian+Jewish
    Politics
    RED
    Religion
    BOKONONISM

Quote Originally Posted by elone View Post
    are these anything like the black dutch? ive heard the word black dutch come up ALOT when describing my mothers side,which was and is from kentucky and indiana...
    black dutch is one of the words used very often to describe melungeons, who for many years were trying to explain themselves away as white in order to avoid southern racial hate. However melungeons are not the only people for whom the term 'black dutch' is used.

Also, anyone got an opinion on my personal dilemma?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Harrignos For This Useful Post:

cadwallon (2011-03-04)

Established Member
    puttin' in yer windies
    Last Online
    @
    Y-DNA
    R-DF99
    mtDNA
    H3ap

Quote Originally Posted by Harrignos View Post
    black dutch is one of the words used very often to describe melungeons, who for many years were trying to explain themselves away as white in order to avoid southern racial hate. However melungeons are not the only people for whom the term 'black dutch' is used.
    Black Irish (has dual meanings depending on the culture using it) has been used as well.

Your dilemma depends largely on family identity if your Melungeon kin see you as one of them then go right ahead.

Established Member
    Last Online
    2012-10-26 @ 20:48
    Germanic & Celtic

I believe "black Dutch" to mean someone who is of Dutch descent but has dark hair and/or eyes.
    "A man must accept his fate or be destroyed by it." ~Spartacus

Established Member
    chief shitting bull
    Last Online
    Race
    Europoid
    Phenotype
    Alpinid

Quote Originally Posted by Harrignos View Post

oh okay.im not sure if my family would fall under melungeon,but alot of my mothers family are very mixed looking,dark skinned,almond shaped eyes,lots of superstitions..i always assume they were gypsies or something.though now i wonder if they are something different.im still not sure,i posted a couple of them on here for classification,and got mostly asian and mestizo haha.

maybe they are some other ethnicity and just use black dutch as a cover,and the superstitions might be a result of the people in the hills who seem to hold alot of weird beliefs..

as far as your dilemma it sounds as if your half jewish,but seeing as your mixed so heavily you could claim any number of things.if you identify strongly enough with melungeon than you could identify with it.i would just consider you triracial personally...but whatever you want to be seen as..

QBQ Banned
    Molecular Biologist
    Last Online
    Y-DNA
    J2a4h2a
    mtDNA
    H*
    Race
    Caucasoid
    Metaethnos
    Troll
    Ethnicity
    Serbian+Jewish
    Politics
    RED
    Religion
    BOKONONISM

melungeon is not really a particular ethnicity, its just a way of labeling the triracial appalachians(used almost entirely by non-melungeons up until the late 20th century. So its very hard to define who in those regions was melungeon and who was Redbones, Mestee, etc. And even if you were not a descended from one particular group or another, they still might consider you a "new melungeon" or a "new redbone" I have a black' friend who is a redbone, but from more recent mixture with cherokees on both sides, not from the old Louisiana group.

On my account, I just remembered that many melungeons call Abe Lincoln a melungeon himself, on the idea that his mother's father(who was rumored to have been a wealthy Virginian, but there is no verification whatsoever) was actually a melungeon. Therefore, one melungeon grandparent is enough to make one melungeon..hmm..

Established Member
    chief shitting bull
    Last Online
    Race
    Europoid
    Phenotype
    Alpinid

i think lincoln considered himself white.and like i said,you can more or less choose to embrace your jewish side,or your melungeon side,or both...that might not be how other people see you but it doesnt really matter what they think lol.if you want to claim melungeon i dont see why you cant...

i heard that melungeons,or a large number of them are related to the ramopah indians,i think thats what they are called,basically run away slaves that mixed with indians in the hills and then mixed with whoever else...is that accurate?

QBQ Banned
    Molecular Biologist
    Last Online
    Y-DNA
    J2a4h2a
    mtDNA
    H*
    Race
    Caucasoid
    Metaethnos
    Troll
    Ethnicity
    Serbian+Jewish
    Politics
    RED
    Religion
    BOKONONISM

i think lincoln considered himself white.and like i said,you can more or less choose to embrace your jewish side,or your melungeon side,or both...that might not be how other people see you but it doesnt really matter what they think lol.if you want to claim melungeon i dont see why you cant...

i heard that melungeons,or a large number of them are related to the ramopah indians,i think thats what they are called,basically run away slaves that mixed with indians in the hills and then mixed with whoever else...is that accurate?
    Lincoln did consider himself white, he did not know where his maternal grandfather came from, only from what he was told by his mother(who was conceived illegitimately ) My point was simply that the melungeon people consider those with one melungeon grandparent to be melungeon. And its not about a melungeon 'side'.. melungeon is, by definition mixed.. so pretty much whatever you add in will just.. be absorbed in a sense. Also, of jewish sides.... it is very often thought that a large chunk of the white settlers who bred with others to became melungeons were sephardi jews...

and yes .. to paraphrase something I read somewhere "filthy jews, white trash, runaway slaves, and indians dumb enough to stick around"

PS: When it comes to tribes.. I doubt very highly it was just one specific Amerindian tribe that joined with the Melungeons. Was most likely a mix of all the Appalachian peoples, Cherokees, Ramapoh, etc. etc.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast