User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you think women should be allowed to keep their maiden name after married?

Voters
133. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

23 17.29%
  • Yes

110 82.71%
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14

Thread: Do you think women should be allowed to keep their maiden name after married?2376 days old

Wiki Editor
    Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    SD
    Religion
    Christianity

There are soldier surnames still left in Sweden, like Svärd (Sword), Hård (Hard), Modig (Brave).
    https://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aron_Modig
    The Future was better before

Established Member
    Last Online
    Today @ 23:26
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Belarusian
    Lithuania Grand Duchy

Russia, Ukraine, Belarus use patronymic name in all official documents. Patronymic names are useful in searching for relatives through archives, because you always know who was the father of a particular person. For example, you find a person knowing only given name and surname . But you don't know about his or her parents. There are several options if their father has several brothers and cousins. Having a patronymic name you know the father of siblings and their mother - wife of their father. If a girl gives a birth to a child out wedlock not knowing who's the father of the child she gives her child patronymic name of her father - child's grandfather.

Established Member
    Last Online
    @

Quote Originally Posted by EliasAlucard View Post
    I think it's a bit faggy, but I'm okay with that too. However, personally, I think it would be more correct that last names aren't changed all the time. But as long as the last name is a traditional one (as in a serious last name), it should be fine. Otherwise we'd risk degenerating into a clown society with rampant liberalism where everyone is named something like "Moonblood", case in point:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sage_Moonblood_Stallone
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_Bloodgood

I can't believe Stallone named his son, Moonblood.

I've also seen some pretty funny Swedish last names, like "Snygg", which is the common word in Swedish, for handsome/good-looking.
    My uncle kinda did it, his wife didnt adopt his name and his sons got my aunt lastname instead, he has a very common and sometimes disliked surname. da Silva.

Moonblood o.O why?
    Adieu

Senior Moderator
    Plant of Life = Biological Magic 麻 EliasAlucard's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    J1a2a1a2-P58+
    mtDNA
    H5a
    Race
    Caucasian
    Phenotype
    Alpinid
    Metaethnos
    proto-Semitic
    Ethnicity
    Assyrian/Armenian
    Politics
    Environment, Cannabis
    Religion
    Secular Agnostic
    Assyria Assyria 1913-1923 Armenia Lebanon Sweden Greece

Quote Originally Posted by Kriptc06 View Post
    My uncle kinda did it, his wife didnt adopt his name and his sons got my aunt lastname instead, he has a very common and sometimes disliked surname. da Silva.
    What's there to dislike about da Silva?

Quote Originally Posted by Kriptc06 View Post
    Moonblood o.O why?
    I don't know, celebrities going crazy I guess? Although to be fair, Sage Stallone was born before Sylvester became a huge celebrity, apparently it was shortly before the success of Rocky. lol, apparently it means menstrual blood:

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/moonblood

Imagine that, Stallone named his son after menstrual blood. And what kind of a first name is "Moon" anyway? And Bloodgood must be some native American last name, they tend to have some pretty funny names too, it was even parodied in Hot Shots 2.
    ReactOS <--- support this project so that we can get rid of Windows!
    Ubuntu MATE 16.04.1 LTS | PRISM-Break! | Windows7sins

“A wise man makes his own decisions; an ignorant man follows public opinion.” ― Chinese proverb

“Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under.” ― H. L. Mencken

“The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance.” ― Socrates

“Damnant quod non intelligunt.” ― Latin proverb

Quoted for truth:
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaron View Post
    Anatolian Urhemait supporters are mostly butthurt Meds.
    For the lulz:
    Quote Originally Posted by drgs View Post
    Poland is a misunderstanding. It is a country which lies on the frontier between western and slavic world, and which combines elements of both.
    In fact, they are not even the Europeans in strict sense, meaning European as in bearing the responsibility and understanding of European interests. Poland has always been an subordinate country, on one side sucking German dick, on the other side -- Russian one, some kind of "novice" europeans, who are full of inferiority complexes, hysteria and obsessity neuroses. This is also true for all Baltic countries

5. The Following User Says Thank You to EliasAlucard For This Useful Post:

Kriptc06 (2018-01-11)

Established Member
    Last Online
    @

I vote for keeping the name which sounds best.
    I had decided it very early, that if I ever marry a person with a Russian or Polish or any other Slavic sounding surname, I will never take it. My cousin's husband took her surname, as hers is less common and his was Russian form his Russian father who had left him and his mom when he was very young. My colleague's husband also took her name as hers is uncommon while his was very common.
    I know my father wanted to take my mom's name as well, but she insisted on taking his name.
    I will take my husband's name and I must admit that it's very cool and very uncommon.

The only thing though, I believe both should have the same surname.

Wiki Editor
    Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    Male relatives J1c3
    mtDNA
    U5a2c
    Metaethnos
    Métis-Souriquois
    Ethnicity
    Acadian
    Politics
    Severely Normal
    Religion
    Atheist
    Canada Canada Acadia Canada Quebec Basque

It is quite common for some people to be uncomfortable with wives keeping their maiden name, I don't know why. But it has caused politicians to lose elections. I think this is why Hillary Rodham started going by Hillary Clinton, because Bill Clinton was losing elections before. Former Canadian PM, Joe Clark, only served one term, not getting reelected because his wife didn't take her husband's surname. He spend the whole election campaign defending his wife, apparently. And Justin Trudeau's wife took on his surname as well in order to improve electoral chances (Joe Clark lost to his father, actually)... but since it's actually not custom in French-Canadian culture for a wife to take on her husband's surname, that pissed a lot of people off too, folks accusing the couple of not being loyal to their ethnicity.
    Last edited by DragonRouge; 2018-01-30 at 06:40.

Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Blemish

Quote Originally Posted by DragonRouge View Post
    It is quite common for some people to be uncomfortable with wives keeping their maiden name, I don't know why. But it has caused politicians to lose elections. I think this is why Hillary Rodham started going by Hillary Clinton, because Bill Clinton was losing elections before. Former Canadian PM, Joe Clark, only served one term, not getting reelected because his wife didn't take her husband's surname. He spend the whole election campaign defending his wife, apparently. And Justin Trudeau's wife took on his surname as well in order to improve electoral chances (Joe Clark lost to his father, actually)... but since it's actually not custom in French-Canadian culture for a wife to take on her husband's surname, that pissed a lot of people off too, folks accusing the couple of not being loyal to their ethnicity.
    While where I live both the woman's as the man's name are written on doorbells and mailboxes. I never knew of women taking over names until late. Nothing against it though, but it's interesting how Americans associate the woman retaining her maiden name with SJW or hippies.

In the Netherlands the woman does adopt the husband's name, but only informally and even there she also retains her maiden name on paper. What does change on documents is 'Mrs. X wife of Y' and vice versa it reads 'Mr. Y husband of X'. And informally the woman often gets called Mrs. Y. In Belgium not even that is done.
    Last edited by Danielion; 2018-01-30 at 16:15.
    "Political correctness is the (...) revenge of the (...) intolerant, (...) dunce upon all the liveliness in this world. It is no more than the (...) resort of minds (...) that, for them, a revival of Stalinism is preferable to the pain of a glimpse of self-it's the last sigh of the beast that Nietzsche identified as ressentiment."

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Danielion For This Useful Post:

DragonRouge (2018-01-30)

Established Member
    Last Online
    2018-02-20 @ 22:45
    I1d
    mtDNA
    B2
    Race
    Triracial
    Metaethnos
    Afro-Viking AmerIndian
    Ethnicity
    Black/African American
    Phenotype
    FAIL! Try genetics.
    Sweden African Union(OAS) United States United States Eastern Band Cherokee Cuba

Women taking their husband's last name is mainly a western thing historically. I don't think that has ever been the custom in Asia. I think it's a personal and cultural issue to be decided by the people involved. The topic using the phrase "allowed" is obviously loaded with other issues but women can do what they want. To me, women changing their last name isn't that important. It's the surnames of children that are the real issue.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to CWF For This Useful Post:

DragonRouge (2018-01-31)

Wiki Editor
    Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    Male relatives J1c3
    mtDNA
    U5a2c
    Metaethnos
    Métis-Souriquois
    Ethnicity
    Acadian
    Politics
    Severely Normal
    Religion
    Atheist
    Canada Canada Acadia Canada Quebec Basque

Quote Originally Posted by Danielion View Post
    While where I live both the woman's as the man's name are written on doorbells and mailboxes. I never knew of women taking over names until late. Nothing against it though, but it's interesting how Americans associate the woman retaining her maiden name with SJW or hippies.

In the Netherlands the woman does adopt the husband's name, but only informally and even there she also retains her maiden name on paper. What does change on documents is 'Mrs. X wife of Y' and vice versa it reads 'Mr. Y husband of X'. And informally the woman often gets called Mrs. Y. In Belgium not even that is done.
    It depends on culture, really. But yeah, it’s funny about it being associated with SJWs or hippies. The opposite is the case for French-Canadians, though, it was more conservative folks who got mad at Trudeau’s wife for taking on his surname, and the anger is sometimes associated with knuckle-dragging conservatism. On Facebook, you will see conservative French-Canadians and liberal English-Canadians in agreement, using her maiden name. Weird dynamic. I tend to lean on the conservative side when it comes to culture, but I don’t care either way. Her life, not mine.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DragonRouge For This Useful Post:

CWF (2018-02-03), Danielion (2018-01-30)

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14