Phenotype
    Assyroid
    Politics
    Imperialism
    Religion
    Mesopotamian religion
    Assyria

Quote Originally Posted by Aino View Post
    The same person takes the same stance and uses the same arguments in different threads under different user accounts. This will make it look as if his views had wider support. You also have no chance of knowing whether you have already addressed this person's arguments earlier.
    That's exactly what 1.9.1 doesn't allow. You're not allowed to discuss the same topics with other accounts, unless you're open about it being your other account.
    Creating a new account to change your user name is even more confusing to other members than just changing your user name. When you change your user name, people can at least check your post history to find out who you are. If you create a new account, there is nothing to tell the others who you were before. I would prefer that users got to change their user name rather than create new accounts. You do not have to allow frequent name changes. For instance, do not allow more than one name change a year.
    Changing members' usernames will only lead to usernames never properly being associated with the same account. Basically, your account is your profile. The more you debate with the same account, the more known that profile becomes, and the less incentive you'll have to create another account, because a new account won't have any profile history.
    I also do not object to anyone creating a new account if they stop using their old account after that. Although I do not really see the point of creating a new account, because others will figure out who the new user is sooner or later.
    There are many reasons why someone would want to create a new account. It may be that he was discussing with controversial opinions with his main account, and suddenly decided he wanted to post his pictures and not associate his IRL identity with his opinions.

There are other reasons as well. Maybe said person just got tired of having the same username for a few years, and wanted something new? Is it reasonable to force someone to use the same username for 10 years?
    Why can you not stop them? If you cannot stop them creating new accounts, how can you tell if a person uses two different accounts to post in the same thread?

You can recognise duplicate accounts more often than not. There are even additional tools to help you with that.
    I can't stop members from creating new accounts, even if I set a rule against it, it's always possible to bypass IP bans and whatnot if you're tech savvy enough.

The only way to stop people from creating new accounts is to restrict the registration severely and only allow approved members to discuss. That would be too much hassle to do a check upon every member who registers. Especially when this forum grows and eventually gets something like 100 new members every week.

At the end of the day, what I'm saying is, don't abuse multiple accounts. Don't create 50 accounts and discuss the same sort of topics, unless you're open about that being your new account. It's even recommended in the rules to stick to one account.

//admin
    “Susa, the great holy city, abode of their gods, seat of their mysteries, I conquered. I entered its palaces, I opened their treasuries where silver and gold, goods and wealth were amassed... I destroyed the ziggurat of Susa. I smashed its shining copper horns. I reduced the temples of Elam to naught; their gods and goddesses I scattered to the winds. The tombs of their ancient and recent kings I devastated, I exposed to the sun, and I carried away their bones toward the land of Ashur. I devastated the provinces of Elam and on their lands I sowed salt.” — Aššur-bāni-apli, Fall of Elam

2. # ADS
    Advertisement bot

Established Member
    Super Moderator
    Last Online
    @
    N1c1-L550
    mtDNA
    H3
    Finland

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    That's exactly what 1.9.1 doesn't allow. You're not allowed to discuss the same topics with other accounts, unless you're open about it being your other account.
    I must be misreading 1.9.1. Or maybe you miswrote it?

"and use them simultaneously in the same thread(s)"

Maybe it should read "and use them simultaneously to discuss the same topics".

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Aino For This Useful Post:

admin (2010-02-12)

Administrator
    Last Online
    @
    Assyrid
    Metaethnos
    Sumero-Akkadian
    Ethnicity
    Assyro-Babylonian
    Phenotype
    Assyroid
    Politics
    Imperialism
    Religion
    Mesopotamian religion
    Assyria

I must be misreading 1.9.1. Or maybe you miswrote it?

"and use them simultaneously in the same thread(s)"

Maybe it should read "and use them simultaneously to discuss the same topics".
    You're absolutely right. The rules were written hastily and I intend to rewrite the rules and add more rules, and also clarify the rules, and 1.9.1 will receive some modification. Hope that helps.

//admin
    “Susa, the great holy city, abode of their gods, seat of their mysteries, I conquered. I entered its palaces, I opened their treasuries where silver and gold, goods and wealth were amassed... I destroyed the ziggurat of Susa. I smashed its shining copper horns. I reduced the temples of Elam to naught; their gods and goddesses I scattered to the winds. The tombs of their ancient and recent kings I devastated, I exposed to the sun, and I carried away their bones toward the land of Ashur. I devastated the provinces of Elam and on their lands I sowed salt.” — Aššur-bāni-apli, Fall of Elam

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

Aino (2010-02-12), Stygian Cellarius (2010-02-13)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2