User Tag List

View Poll Results: Cibaeños, who overlaps with them?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Puerto ricans

43 78.18%
  • North Africans

15 27.27%
  • Venezuelans

20 36.36%
  • Colombians

17 30.91%
  • Cubans

27 49.09%
  • Panamanians

8 14.55%
  • Mexicans

4 7.27%
  • Costa Ricans

4 7.27%
  • Brazilians

22 40.00%
  • Others

10 18.18%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 51 of 55 FirstFirst ... 41 49 50 51 52 53 ... LastLast

Thread: Cibaeños, who overlaps with them?2199 days old

Last Online
    2017-11-02 @ 21:48
    Dominican Republic Spain Santiago de los Caballeros France fleur de lis

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    The average in the urban part of Santiago must be something like 60%-62% European, 30%-32% SSA and 7% Amerindian. Not really that far from the average Dominican really. For the rest of the province my guess would be 68% European, 25% SSA and 7% Taino. I think some parts of La Vega, Espaillat and Santiago Rodriguez share a similar average.
    The biggest difference is you can find "white" looking people in every social strata of the Cibao region, whereas in the South whites are more concentrated in the middle and upper classes with some exceptions like the provinces of Bani and San Jose de Ocoa. The typical "urban" Cibaeno might only slightly more Caucasoid than the average southerner but in the Cibao region people in rural areas tend to be whiter on average, whereas in the South the opposite is true. There's also more social stratification in the south, and the lower classes are very negroid, just look at most barrios of La Capital. If we're talking about working class people and not the extremely rich/poor, than there's certainly a much higher percentage of white looking folks among Cibaenos than Southerners.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Enriquillo For This Useful Post:

El Andullero (2017-10-10)

3. # ADS
    Advertisement bot

Established Member
    Molecular Biologist
    Last Online
    2017-12-02 @ 21:12

I would say that in Brazil the best fit genetically could be in northern parts of Minas Gerais or in some parts of Bahia or between Salvador and Belo Horizonte.

What about these people from Salvador, could they pass as a whole as Cibaeños people?

Not sure but I think Brazilians of all regions as a whole are different, Brazil received more Europeans (not so much in Bahia, but in Rio, Minas etc yes), many Blacks also and they have somewhat more Amerindians (not in Minas or Bahia though). Best fit as a group would be Northern Minas maybe and middle class of Salvador.

What about Natal, Rio Grande do Norte?

Last edited by Montanini; 2017-10-10 at 06:39.

Established Member
    Molecular Biologist
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:07
    Y-DNA
    E1b1b1b2a
    mtDNA
    L3e1e
    Metaethnos
    Nuevo Mundo
    Ethnicity
    Isleño D Puertorican
    Politics
    Liberal central left
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Puerto Rico Spain United States Outlying Islands Amazigh Palestine Hispanidad

Quote Originally Posted by Montanini View Post
    I would say that in Brazil the best fit genetically could be in northern parts of Minas Gerais or in some parts of Bahia or between Salvador and Belo Horizonte.

What about these people from Salvador, could they pass as a whole as Cibaeños people?

Not sure but I think Brazilians of all regions as a whole are different, Brazil received more Europeans (not so much in Bahia, but in Rio, Minas etc yes), many Blacks also and they have somewhat more Amerindians (not in Minas or Bahia though). Best fit as a group would be Northern Minas maybe and middle class of Salvador.

What about Natal, Rio Grande do Norte?

I would say there are much more tri-racial looking types and blatantly amerindian influenced people there than in the Bi-racial spectrum seen in El Cibao, although there are white looking people in both places. We would also have to see the segments of the populations which are not mobilized by protests, which tend to be a diverse segment in all places of latin america as well. But I do see an overlap to a certain extent. After all, a lot of mixed looking people exist in all of our countries.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dbbrainer For This Useful Post:

Montanini (2017-10-10)

Established Member
    Molecular Biologist
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by dbbrainer View Post
    I would say there are much more tri-racial looking types and blatantly amerindian influenced people there than in the Bi-racial spectrum seen in El Cibao, although there are white looking people in both places. We would also have to see the segments of the populations which are not mobilized by protests, which tend to be a diverse segment in all places of latin america as well. But I do see an overlap to a certain extent. After all, a lot of mixed looking people exist in all of our countries.
    Yeah I think especially in Natal, Rio Grande do Norte where many people (probably most) are more than 10% Amerindian and some of them are really up to 25% they look more tri-racial I agree, I think this protest (like the leftist protest) are at certain point representative of the local population, maybe even more than in some stadium's crowd. But the video in Salvador is probably more Euro than they are, in this case good part of lower-class segment aren't included (I think this could be representative: https://www.tonamega.com/pt-br/espor...72596836194362http://globoesporte.globo.com/ba/meg...onte-nova.html , https://www.tonamega.com/pt-br/espor...61164265284182 than in that video.

The lower-classes for Salvador are more or less 40-50% African/European and ~8% Amerindian but good amount of them looks Pred. African or even African, while only the upper class there is more White looking people than the average for Cibao maybe but it is just a guess. Mestizos exist in all places in Brazil and if they aren't local, they're migrant. Searching these videos I was looking for some Pred. Caucasian people with many Quadroons and Tercerones and some Whites that was I expect to be close to the Cibaeños if the average is around ~65/28/7.

They with this average could fit in Belo Horizonte and Rio too (that I think they are more in the 70% but neither Salvador is 65% too), but these cities both received a good amount of Europeans (Rio received two to three times more Europeans proportionally than Cuba for example) and they had many African before, so there are more extremes especially in Rio, but in Belo Horizonte too, pretty much some crowds that I think are very Euro for Latin America are possible in places like that: https://www.tonamega.com/pt-br/espor...18472406401956.

In places like Belo Horizonte and Rio it is normal find people with 90%+ (and fully Euro descent at some extent) Europeans and 90%+ Africans, that I don't think it is the case of Cibaeños where for pics they look more in the Quadroon spectrum (w/ some Whites and Mulattos). Individually they like all Dominicans (or other Latin Americans) could pass everywhere in Brazil.

So between Belo Horizonte and Salvador would be the best fit in Brazil. I would guess most Euro parts of Bahia State and Northern part of Minas Gerais.
    Last edited by Montanini; 2017-10-10 at 13:42.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Montanini For This Useful Post:

dbbrainer (2017-10-10), El Andullero (2017-10-10)

Evolutionary Biologist Hispaniola's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 22:36
    R-L51
    mtDNA
    L1c2b1
    Race
    Triracial
    Metaethnos
    Latin American
    Ethnicity
    Dominican
    Phenotype
    Quadroon
    Spain Dominican Republic Ethiopia

the whitest town iv been to in DR would be san jose de las matas

everyone there looked like quadroons and octroons to maybe even pure white

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kilometro7 View Post
    Lol, I was in the event above, and I know some of those people. Anyways, I was in a somewhat similar event last night, and the average girls there were gorgeous, to say the least. When you're on the street, the people you see may not look that different than the "average" Dominican. However, in these type of events where most of the attendees are colleague students, middle class, etc., etc. The Santiagueros definitely do not look like the "average" or "stereotypical" Dominican. Santiago and the Cibao is an interesting place, is often crazy to think that in such a small island you can go from a town in Samana where almost everyone is almost full Sub-Saharan African to a town like Bao in Santiago where finding a Mulato in the literal sense would be an impossible task.
    thats pretty much like most places in latin america and iv been to nearly all of em, colombia especially is like that

Evolutionary Biologist Hispaniola's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 22:36
    R-L51
    mtDNA
    L1c2b1
    Race
    Triracial
    Metaethnos
    Latin American
    Ethnicity
    Dominican
    Phenotype
    Quadroon
    Spain Dominican Republic Ethiopia

before one of you guys decide to reply angrily at me in disagreement

i really feel wierd talking about DR right now, im in DR right now and my abuelo just past away after 2 heart attacks, he was in hospital and he got his surgery but his kidneys werent responding (idk how that works with the heart and that but), and we all flew down here in santo domingo for him but he's gone now, life sucks

this place (DR) dont feel the same anymore

Last Online
    @
    Y-DNA
    R-U152
    mtDNA
    L0a2a1a
    Race
    Triracial
    Phenotype
    Indid
    Metaethnos
    Caribbean Hispanic
    Ethnicity
    Dominican
    Politics
    Royalism
    Religion
    Catholicism
    GEDmatch
    HB6236866
    Dominican Republic Santiago de los Caballeros Spain traditional Spain African Union(OAS)

Quote Originally Posted by Hispaniola View Post

i really feel wierd talking about DR right now, im in DR right now and my abuelo just past away after 2 heart attacks, he was in hospital and he got his surgery but his kidneys werent responding (idk how that works with the heart and that but), and we all flew down here in santo domingo for him but he's gone now, life sucks

Man, that's sad . RIP.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to El Andullero For This Useful Post:

Hispaniola (2017-10-10)

Established Member
    Molecular Biologist
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:07
    Y-DNA
    E1b1b1b2a
    mtDNA
    L3e1e
    Metaethnos
    Nuevo Mundo
    Ethnicity
    Isleño D Puertorican
    Politics
    Liberal central left
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Puerto Rico Spain United States Outlying Islands Amazigh Palestine Hispanidad

Quote Originally Posted by Hispaniola View Post

I am very sorry for your loss. I no longer have any grand-parents and I do miss them. Fuerzas!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dbbrainer For This Useful Post:

El Andullero (2017-10-12), Hispaniola (2017-10-12)

Established Member
    Molecular Biologist
    Last Online
    @
    Dominican
    Religion
    Agnostic

I think the people closest to us Dominicans in appearance are actually Brazilians. I have necer been to Brazil but theres a large community where I live. The components look pretty much the same IMO only difference Brazil has a larger and more diverse white population. Afro Brazilians look a little different from Afro Dominicans. And also,, some Brazilians are highly Amerindian (> 20%) whilst Dominicans typically range no higher than 15%.
    Last edited by LexRD; 2017-10-12 at 17:45.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to LexRD For This Useful Post:

Montanini (2017-10-14)

Established Member
    Molecular Biologist
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by LexRD View Post
    I think the people closest to us Dominicans in appearance are actually Brazilians. I have necer been to Brazil but theres a large community where I live. The components look pretty much the same IMO only difference Brazil has a larger and more diverse white population. Afro Brazilians look a little different from Afro Dominicans. And also,, some Brazilians are highly Amerindian (> 20%) whilst Dominicans typically range no higher than 15%.
    My bet is Cuba, then Brazil and Puerto Rico.

Page 51 of 55 FirstFirst ... 41 49 50 51 52 53 ... LastLast