Phenotype
    N/A
    Politics
    Apolitical
    Religion
    Atheist/Irreligious
    GEDmatch
    M160929

I've been told, that I have an aberrant phenotype for an Assyrian. Because of comparatively more "swarthy" demeaner, in contrast to the other Assyrians here. But I'm fairly average, there are plenty of other Assyrians that are much "swarthier" and more "exotic" in appearance than I am.
    "They Must find it difficult, those that take authority as truth, instead of truth as the authority" -Gerald Massey

2. # ADS
    Advertisement bot

Established Member
    Molecular Biologist
    Last Online
    @

I would say 40-50% of Assyrians are like a light-mid olive, 30-40% are white, 7% are darker olive, < 3% are brown. Do my fellow Assyrians agree with me?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to The Apple For This Useful Post:

Sargon999 (2012-12-09)

Established Member
    Last Online
    2019-01-29 @ 00:06
    Y-DNA
    J1a3a
    mtDNA
    U1a1c4
    Metaethnos
    Mesopotamian
    Ethnicity
    Assyrian
    Phenotype
    N/A
    Politics
    Apolitical
    Religion
    Atheist/Irreligious
    GEDmatch
    M160929

Quote Originally Posted by The Apple View Post
    I would say 40-50% of Assyrians are like a light-mid olive, 30-40% are white, 7% are darker olive, < 3% are brown. Do my fellow Assyrians agree with me?
    I don't know, without any statistical data. All you can do is guess. I've seen a lot of light Assyrians, but I've also seen a lot of swarthy ones as well. The ones in Iraq seem to have skin hues ranging from light to medium-olive, with some being quite dark and some being really light. The ones in Turkey are lighter than the ones in Iraq, with some being dark and medium-olive.

Both really dark Assyrian, and really light Assyrians are uncommon, but such phenotypes are present in Assyrians. Humanist is a prime example of a really light Assyrian. But what's funny to me is that, from the pictures I've seen of his mother and father, his phenotype would be the least outcome I'd expect. His mother is a swarthier Assyrian, while his father is more in the Southern European direction. Yet he has green eyes, light-brown hair and fair skin.
    "They Must find it difficult, those that take authority as truth, instead of truth as the authority" -Gerald Massey

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ZephyrousMandaru For This Useful Post:

Sargon999 (2012-12-09)

Established Member
    Molecular Biologist
    Last Online
    @

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrousMandaru View Post
    I don't know, without any statistical data. All you can do is guess. I've seen a lot of light Assyrians, but I've also seen a lot of swarthy ones as well. The ones in Iraq seem to have skin hues ranging from light to medium-olive, with some being quite dark and some being really light. The ones in Turkey are lighter than the ones in Iraq, with some being dark and medium-olive.

Both really dark Assyrian, and really light Assyrians are uncommon, but such phenotypes are present in Assyrians. Humanist is a prime example of a really light Assyrian. But what's funny to me is that, from the pictures I've seen of his mother and father, his phenotype would be the least outcome I'd expect. His mother is a swarthier Assyrian, while his father is more in the Southern European direction. Yet he has green eyes, light-brown hair and fair skin.
    Yeah I was kind of just basing it off of what I've seen. The Assyrians in Arizona are usually from Chicago which are of Iraqi origin and the ones in California where I used to live seemed to be lighter such as my family that are of Iranian, Russian, and Iraqi origin but my mom had told me that Iranian Assyrians are usually darker but it doesn't seem that way to me. I've never met a Turkish Assyrian and I've only met one Syrian Assyrian so I can't really comment on those two types but I would still say about half are like a light-mid olive. I've never seen any of the Assyrian posters classifications so I don't really know what any of them look like.

Established Member
    Last Online
    Y-DNA
    J1a3a
    mtDNA
    U1a1c4
    Metaethnos
    Mesopotamian
    Ethnicity
    Assyrian
    Phenotype
    N/A
    Politics
    Apolitical
    Religion
    Atheist/Irreligious
    GEDmatch
    M160929

Yeah I was kind of just basing it off of what I've seen. The Assyrians in Arizona are usually from Chicago which are of Iraqi origin and the ones in California where I used to live seemed to be lighter such as my family that are of Iranian, Russian, and Iraqi origin but my mom had told me that Iranian Assyrians are usually darker but it doesn't seem that way to me. I've never met a Turkish Assyrian and I've only met one Syrian Assyrian so I can't really comment on those two types but I would still say about half are like a light-mid olive. I've never seen any of the Assyrian posters classifications so I don't really know what any of them look like.
    Iranian Assyrians are originally form Iraq from what I've learned. Iranian Assyrians seem to vary in pigmentation as well, my sister use to be friends with this Iranian Assyrian girl and her and her sister were dark. While her father was a light olive and her mother was dark. Though her cousin was quite light-skinned.

In terms of physical characteristics however, almost every Assyrian is recognizably Middle Eastern in demeanor, even the fair skinned ones.

Established Member
    Molecular Biologist
    Last Online
    @

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrousMandaru View Post
    Iranian Assyrians are originally form Iraq from what I've learned. Iranian Assyrians seem to vary in pigmentation as well, my sister use to be friends with this Iranian Assyrian girl and her and her sister were dark. While her father was a light olive and her mother was dark. Though her cousin was quite light-skinned.

In terms of physical characteristics however, almost every Assyrian is recognizably Middle Eastern in demeanor, even the fair skinned ones.
    But what characteristic is it that makes it decidedly noticeable that they look Assyrian?

Established Member
    Last Online
    Y-DNA
    J1a3a
    mtDNA
    U1a1c4
    Metaethnos
    Mesopotamian
    Ethnicity
    Assyrian
    Phenotype
    N/A
    Politics
    Apolitical
    Religion
    Atheist/Irreligious
    GEDmatch
    M160929

But what characteristic is it that makes it decidedly noticeable that they look Assyrian?
    Well, there isn't one single characteristic that I'm aware of, that is non-overlapping and distinctly Assyrian. Though there are a set of characteristics, such as size and shape of the nose, large eye orbits, full lips, long black hair (curly to straight) and substantial body hair. Of course, these traits aren't exclusive to Assyrians and are found in large part in other Near Easterners, South Asians and some Southern Europeans.

Last Online
    2013-12-14 @ 03:36
    Race
    Caucasoid
    Phenotype
    Assyrid
    Ethnicity
    Assyrian/Sicilian
    Religion
    Spiritualist
    Assyria Italy Sicily

Like these Assyrians from Iraq.

Last Online
    2015-10-18 @ 00:31

I see Assyrians from Turkey, Syria and Iraq everyday, and my personal experience is that many from Iraq are darkskinned.

QBS Banned
    Molecular Biologist
    Last Online
    2014-08-31 @ 15:29
    E1b1b1
    mtDNA
    L3i2
    Phenotype
    Aethiopid
    Ethnicity
    Somali
    Politics
    Centrist Progressivism
    Religion
    Islam
    Somalia Djibouti

Assyrian people look like Kurds however some look like Turks, Levants, Persians and Arabs. But in general they look like Kurds.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast