User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: E1b1a outside West Africa2242 days old

Last Online
    2015-08-07 @ 00:52
    United States

Very late in joining, but have recently been DNA tested. My haplogroup is E1b1a7a, and am overwhelmingly of European descent (97.5%). My last name was anglicized from the French name de la Chaumette, a huguenot family who arrived in the Carolina colonies in the early 1700s. Whether or not this was a name adopted by a SSA male or the de la Chaumettes where carriers of E1b1a7a is still being researched. My ancestors were listed on colonial records as Free Persons of Color, and my ancestry composition revealed .7% SSA, and .2% North African DNA. There are legends of people in this area being descended of Portuguese sailors shipwrecked or being abonded after capture in this region, but this is only legend.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shoemake For This Useful Post:

jibarodepr (2015-05-20), Semitic Duwa (2015-05-20)

3. # ADS
    Advertisement bot

Last Online
    United States

My apologies if this is a repeated post. I've recently been identified as e1b1a7a. My ancestry composition is overwhelmingly European (97.5%). My last name is an anglicized Huguenot name de la Chaumette, and my ancestors appear on colonial records in South Carolina as Free Persons of Color. It has long been rumored that many Melungeons lived here and are descendants of Portuguese sailors. My dna test revealed .7% SSA and .2% North African heritage. Is there anyway to determine if my last name was adopted by an SSA male ancestor, or if the de la Chaumettes were carriers of e1b1a7a?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Shoemake For This Useful Post:

Semitic Duwa (2015-05-20)

Established Member
    Junior Member But Cool
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:45
    Y-DNA
    E-U174
    mtDNA
    U6a3
    Race
    Sub-Saharan African
    Metaethnos
    Akan/Mande/Igbo
    Ethnicity
    Jamaican
    Phenotype
    Goldwindid Sudanid
    Politics
    Monarchy over Republic
    Religion
    Nunya
    England Jamaica Skull and crossbones

Quote Originally Posted by Shoemake View Post
    Very late in joining, but have recently been DNA tested. My haplogroup is E1b1a7a, and am overwhelmingly of European descent (97.5%). My last name was anglicized from the French name de la Chaumette, a huguenot family who arrived in the Carolina colonies in the early 1700s. Whether or not this was a name adopted by a SSA male or the de la Chaumettes where carriers of E1b1a7a is still being researched. My ancestors were listed on colonial records as Free Persons of Color, and my ancestry composition revealed .7% SSA, and .2% North African DNA. There are legends of people in this area being descended of Portuguese sailors shipwrecked or being abonded after capture in this region, but this is only legend.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoemake View Post
    My apologies if this is a repeated post. I've recently been identified as e1b1a7a. My ancestry composition is overwhelmingly European (97.5%). My last name is an anglicized Huguenot name de la Chaumette, and my ancestors appear on colonial records in South Carolina as Free Persons of Color. It has long been rumored that many Melungeons lived here and are descendants of Portuguese sailors. My dna test revealed .7% SSA and .2% North African heritage. Is there anyway to determine if my last name was adopted by an SSA male ancestor, or if the de la Chaumettes were carriers of e1b1a7a?
    Hello there fellow Y-DNA hg E1b1a7a or E-U174.
    I think you most likely got your Y-DNA hg from say a SSA slave (or in this case a "Free person of colour") than say your Euro male ancestors.
    Y-DNA hg E1b1a7a or E-U174 is the most common haplogroup in SSA. It's mainly found amongst the men that inhabit the Guinean Forests of West Africa and was one of the main haplogroups amongst the men that started the Bantu Expansion thus most bantu men have it. It's also found in some Middle Eastern and North African men. However it's next to non existent in European men.
    South Carolina received a lot of African slaves, mainly from the Senegambia region and the Kongo Kingdom area. Being that Senegambian men don't really carry Y-DNA hg E1b1a7a or E-U174 that much I say that you got it from a Congolese or Angolan guy. Of course you more than likely Congolese or Angolan so many "greats" grandfather was lynched for knocking up your so many "greats" white grandmother (only joking................Not really).

There you have it. The most likely scenario of how you came to have Y-DNA hg E1b1a7a or E-U174!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Iron Hand For This Useful Post:

jibarodepr (2015-05-20), Semitic Duwa (2015-05-20)

Last Online
    United States

Thanks for the information! DNA testing has revealed, what appears to be, an interesting story about my family that I never knew! I only wish I could learn more. It is also unfortunate, however, as I've spent so much time researching the de la Chaumettes in France, only to find this is a name that may simply have been adopted. I will continue to share any new information I find on e1b1a7a and my personal genealogy.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Shoemake For This Useful Post:

Semitic Duwa (2015-05-20)

Established Member
    Junior Member But Cool
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:45
    Y-DNA
    E-U174
    mtDNA
    U6a3
    Race
    Sub-Saharan African