User Tag List

Page 1 of 33 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Kikuyu people of Kenya2740 days old

Last Online
    2012-04-03 @ 20:30
    Default Kikuyu people of Kenya

Kikuyu, also called Giguyu, Gekoyo, or Agekoyo, Bantu-speaking people who live in the highland area of south-central Kenya, near Mount Kenya. In the late 20th century the Kikuyu numbered more than 4,400,000 and formed the largest ethnic group in Kenya, approximately 20 percent of the total population. Their own name for themselves is Gekoyo, or Agekoyo.

The Kikuyu moved into their modern territory from the southwest. Their indigenous economy rested upon intensive hoe cultivation of millet (the staple crop), peas, beans, sorghum, and sweet potatoes. The main modern cash crops are coffee, corn (maize), and fruits and vegetables. Some groups practiced irrigation and terracing. Animal husbandry provided an important supplement.

Kikuyu also are organized into age sets that have served as the principal political institutions. Groups of boys are initiated each year and ultimately grouped into generation sets that traditionally ruled for 20 to 30 years. Political authority traditionally was vested in a council of elders representing a particular age class during its occupancy of the ruling grade. The Kikuyu believe in an omnipotent creator god, Ngai, and in the continued spiritual presence of ancestors.

2. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Nyawira For This Useful Post:

*Zuleikha* (2012-03-26), Annawon (2012-03-26), Awale (2014-09-14), Bandar Qasim (2012-03-26), cafman21 (2012-03-27), DjAnouare (2012-03-26), Doctoris Scientia (2012-03-26), DragonRouge (2015-05-03), Ekarfi (2012-03-26), KING OF KUSH (2018-11-04), Magneto (2012-03-27), makena (2012-08-17), Mheshimiwa (2015-05-02), Mister G (2012-03-26), modernsappho (2012-03-27), pgbk87 (2012-03-26), Pulaar (2012-03-28), Red1 (2012-04-03), sgc2009 (2012-03-26)

3. # ADS
    Advertisement bot

Race Scientist
    Last Online
    2012-05-03 @ 04:38
    Default Swazi people

Very interesting. The Kikuyu bear a striking resemblance to the Swazi people in Swaziland, who also are assumed to have migrated (after the primary migration from the West) from the Great Lakes area and some claim even specifically the Embu area (where Kikuyus may also have originated from). I'll add more pictures later.

Here is an entertaining Kikuyu song from Kenya:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjKEcVoST-E

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to newuserworld For This Useful Post:

ari87 (2012-04-03), Nyawira (2012-03-25), THELOVEBELOW (2015-10-16)

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by newuserworld View Post
    Very interesting. The Kikuyu bear a striking resemblance to the Swazi people in Swaziland, who also are assumed to have migrated (after the primary migration from the West) from the Great Lakes area and some claim even specifically the Embu area
    Hi newuserworld, that is quite fascinating. Yes, there are indeed commonalities, but also differences. Most notably the Nilo-Hamite heritage in the Kikuyus and KhoiKhoi heritage in the Swazi.

Established Member
    Last Online
    2013-12-13 @ 22:59
    Sub-Saharan African
    Metaethnos
    Black
    Ethnicity
    Fulani
    Phenotype
    Sahelid.
    Religion
    Islam
    Nigeria United States African Union(OAS) United States Nigeria

Would I be right, to assume, that the average kikuyu look from Kenya, is close to what are in the pics????

8. The Following User Says Thank You to gawasah For This Useful Post:

Nyawira (2012-03-26)

Established Member
    Last Online
    2015-11-21 @ 22:00
    mixed origin
    Ethnicity
    N.Sudani/Nigeria hyrid
    Phenotype
    ancient
    Politics
    world citizen
    Religion
    New world order
    United Nations Sudan Nigeria United States United Nations United Nations

Quote Originally Posted by Nyawira View Post
    Hi newuserworld, that is quite fascinating. Yes, there are indeed commonalities, but also differences. Most notably the Nilo-Hamite heritage in the Kikuyus and KhoiKhoi heritage in the Swazi.
    Agree, they lack that especially the nilotic look, and i would add few display slight horner like appearance as well. I must admit, they are a very handsome group of people.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mister G For This Useful Post:

Esekon Kimatt (2012-03-26), Mheshimiwa (2015-08-23), Nyawira (2012-03-26)

Last Online

More everyday Kikuyus

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nyawira For This Useful Post:

Awale (2014-09-14), Mheshimiwa (2015-05-13)

Established Member
    Last Online
    @

The one of the right looks like a Kenyan friend of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by gawasah View Post
    Would I be right, to assume, that the average kikuyu look from Kenya, is close to what are in the pics????

Why wouldn't they? Kenyans are very diverse..
    Last edited by *Zuleikha*; 2012-03-26 at 21:28.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to *Zuleikha* For This Useful Post:

Mheshimiwa (2015-08-23), Nyawira (2012-03-26)

Race Scientist
    Last Online
    Default Some clarification

Quote Originally Posted by Mister G View Post
    Agree, they lack that especially the nilotic look, and i would add few display slight horner like appearance as well. I must admit, they are a very handsome group of people.
    Ummm, I really don't see much difference. As a Kikuyu myself, overall Swazi people are closest phenotypically in terms of skin tone variation and facial structure than any other group.

I would also request all references to horner appearance (which I assume you mean horn of africa=ethiopia, eritrea, somalia, djibouti). Kikuyu bear no resemblance at all to these populations, they do however have a very close resemblance to the Maasai population, which the Kikuyu have heavily intermixed with and which is reflected in the Kikuyu DNA from the Maasai (and no other populations). This admixture is to the extent tha the Kikuyu and Maasai were indistinguishable in some areas (except for language) in pre-colonial eras.

The skin tone variation cannot be from the Maasai (who have much less variation than the Kikuyu, mostly on the darkest end of the scale) and probably from preexisting Khoisan populations and most importantly the indigenous skin-tone variation found in most Bantu-speaking populations from Kenya to Tanzania to Uganda to South Africa to Angola. The only atributes from the Maasai possibly are the thinner nose, that is probably it (and cultural contributions of course). There is very little admixture from any other groups in Kenya (other than closely related Kamba, Embu, Meru and the like).

PLEASE do not relate the kikuyu to horner populations, there is really no relationship at all. Our faces are extremely different, our hair is extremely different and we don't have colorism issues like in the Horn (which is probably due to the mixed nature of those populations) We do however have a very close relationship to the Maasai. For example, the Kikuyu do have facial similarities to the Maasai but NONE to any "horn of africa populations" except insofar as the Maasai (who HAVE admixed with forn of africa populations, although the kikuyu HAVE NOT) have thinner noses. Kikuyu hair texture does not vary and is indistinguishable from that of other bantu-speaking populations (kinkiest in africa apart from the khoisan).
    Also, the Khoisan attributes are quite clear among some Kikuyu, depending on the region in Kenya.

To answer the question from the Nigerian questioner.These pictures are not representative insofar as they exclude the darkest Kikuyu, who are the majority I would calculate:

15-20% Kikuyu are extremely light, similar to first picture

66% extremely dark (almost identical to typical maasai, most baganda people etc. Not quite as dark as the Dinka, Senegalese or some Somali peoples but close)
    ==See Wangari Maathai, first African female to win nobel prize; Jomo Kenyatta, first president of Kenya, Mwai Kibaki, current president of Kenya, Ngugi wa Thiongo, well known kenyan writer

14% medium skin tone (like the last photo in the array)
    ==See Uhuru Kenyatta, current finance minister of Kenya

Again, no hair texture variation among the Kikuyu
    THESE PHOTOS ARE REPRESENTATIVE IN TERMS OF FACIAL FEATURE VARIATION--Facial variation is not too common, most Kikuyu are well within the bantu-speaking population phenotype, a good mix
    Height/weight variation is negligible

Within my own family there is this variation:
    My mother is pitch black and looks identical to Maasai (similar to Wangaari Maathai)
    My father is medium toned (similar to Uhuru Kenyatta)
    2 of my siblings are pitch black, 1 is medium toned, 1 (I) AM extremely light

Pretty much in line with Kikuyu variation. WHICH IS INDIGENOUS TO THE KIKUYU PEOPLE. ALTHOUGH THERE IS A LARGE AMOUNT OF ADMIXTURE THAT MAY BE LINKED TO THE HORN OF AFRICA THIS IS DUE TO ADMIXTURE WITH THE MAASAI, AND NOT OTHER HORN OF AFRICA POPULATIONS. THEREFORE, WE ARE NOT HORNER LIKE IN APPEARANCE WE ARE MAASAI LIKE IN APPEARANCE, DUE TO OUR VERY CLOSE RELATIONSHIP WITH THE MAASAI HISTORICALLY. EVEN SO, KIKUYU ARE MUCH LIGHTER THAN AVERAGE THAN THE MAASAI, SO THE SKIN TONE VARIATION IS PROBABLY INDIGENOUS TO THE BANTU-SPEAKING POPULATION WHICH EXPLAINS WHY THIS EXACT VARIATION IS FOUND IN ANGOLAN, UGANDAN, SOUTH AFRICAN AND IN LESOTHO, BOTSWANA, ETC. WHICH HAVE A DIFFERING ADMIXTURE HISTORY. AND, MOST INTERESTINGLY, BANTU SPEAKING POPULATIONS OF SOUTHERN CAMEROON, WHICH HAS VERY LITTLE ADMIXTURE WITH EITHER MAASAI AND MAASAI LIKE POPULATIONS NOR KHOISAN POPULATIONS.

PLEASE DON'T BRING OBSESSION WITH HORN OF AFRICA POPULATIONS INTO DISCUSSIONS OF KIKUYU PLEASE. WE ARE COMPLETELY UNINTERESTED, THANKS. thank god kikuyu have no skin color complexes, even considering how diverse we are in skin tone, and I would like to keep it that way.

Established Member
    Molecular Biologist
    Last Online
    2013-01-05 @ 17:08

Quote Originally Posted by gawasah View Post
    Nay, I disagree although A large percentage of them actually look like that. When I was over there, you wouldn't believe how many Kikuyu's were eithier half Somali or Half White. Some even look Habesha at times

Race Scientist
    Last Online

In the first thread, exactly they are all Kikuyu.

In the second thread however:
    1,5,8, 11, 21, 23, 24, 36 are not Kikuyu. I dont' know what game you are trying to play, but please stop. I am Kikuyu and can tell you straight off they are not.

Kikuyu have no hair texture variation!! please leave horn of africa obsesssion out of this, thanks

---an actual kikuyu

Page 1 of 33 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast