User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Richard Feynman on: Relationship between Science and Religon2612 days old

Established Member
    Last Online
    2014-10-10 @ 18:37
    Phenotype
    heptacosioiracial
    Religion
    Christian
    Argentina Italy

Quote Originally Posted by Day Tripper View Post
    No, I find that an ammeter works much better for that.

Actually, moral philosophy does grapple with these problems, and Metaphysics is a branch of philosophy. The metaphysical aspect of religion is one of the three aspects of religion Feynman mentions here, but metaphysics certainly isn't exclusive to religion. So what makes the answers religion gives any better than the reasoned ones of philosophy?

You still haven't understood the original point, which is about doubt.

Religious answers and philosophical answers are both equally valid (although I prefer to believe in the former and not in the latter, because of my own personal affinities).
    Perhaps I didn't understand the point about doubt, or perhaps I did. I think science encourages doubting about those things that can be subjected to the scientific method, but not about absolutely everything. Doubting of things that cannot be subjected to the scientific method is pointless. Do I need to explain why?

2. # ADS
    Advertisement bot

Established Member
    ---
    Last Online
    @
    R1a1a
    mtDNA
    H1
    Ethnicity
    Eukaryote
    Phenotype
    Primate

Quote Originally Posted by Crypto View Post
    Religious answers and philosophical answers are both equally valid (although I prefer to believe in the former and not in the latter, because of my own personal affinities).
    If only the universe conformed to our personal affinities.

Quote Originally Posted by Crypto
    Perhaps I didn't understand the point about doubt, or perhaps I did. I think science encourages doubting about those things that can be subjected to the scientific method, but not about absolutely everything. Doubting of things that cannot be subjected to the scientific method is pointless. Do I need to explain why?
    Yes. And explain why we can hold something as true if we can't doubt it.

Established Member
    Last Online
    2014-10-10 @ 18:37
    Phenotype
    heptacosioiracial
    Religion
    Christian
    Argentina Italy

Quote Originally Posted by Day Tripper View Post
    If only the universe conformed to our personal affinities.

Yes. And explain why we can hold something as true if we can't doubt it.

You are still alluding to material phenomena, whereas I am talking mainly about morals and metaphysics. These two latter issues cannot be subjected to experimentation.
    There is no point in doubting of those things that cannot be subjected to the scientific method, since this kind of doubting will not result in an increase of knowledge (as opposed to doubting of those things that can be subjected to the scientific method). The whole merit of doubting lies in the possibility of increasing our knowledge, therefore there is no point in doubting if said possibility is nonexistent.
    When something cannot be subjected to the scientific method, our only possibility is to judge it according to our personal beliefs. In other words, you can't say that this something "is true", but you can say that you "chose to hold it as a true".

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2