User Tag List

Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16 24 25 26

Thread: Ranking Latin American countries by Autosomal European percentages2617 days old

Established Member
    Last Online
    2019-06-20 @ 18:45
    Caucasoid
    Phenotype
    Mediterranid
    Politics
    Liberal conservative
    Religion
    Roman Catholicism
    Brazil Portugal 1485 Portugal Spain Castile Spain traditional Spain

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Hand View Post
    Latin Americans stop obsessing about European and their blood....................................That's never going to happen.
    LOL that's exacly what happens not only here but in other forums too. Most Brazilian members, for example, only post things related to European Brazilians or answer threads with that subject and don't even look at threads regarding Afro-Brazilians or the Amerindian influence in Brazil. Only some users like Ubirajara and Malcon Z used to post things about all of the Brazilian diversity, but they are missing for a long time, unfortunately. The others seem to be obsessed with European related stuff, only.

Unfortunately, most of Brazilian users in these forums seem to be white-supremacists or something like that. I was called a bunch of bad names in other forums by such members only because I was saying that Brazil isn't the white land they were trying to show and that Amerindian and African influences are important as much as the European one lol.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement bot

Established Member
    Last Online
    Caucasoid
    Phenotype
    Mediterranid
    Politics
    Liberal conservative
    Religion
    Roman Catholicism

For the people who asked about Paraguay

Genetic tests about the average contribution in Paraguayans

European - 55,0%; Amerindian - 37,0%; African - 8,0%
    https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...18442X14001036

European - 59,9%; Amerindian - 30,9%; African - 9,2%
    https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...75176817300252

Maybe I got the data wrong, but It was in the Wiki article for Paraguay and I checked if the info was real. There are another two tests but I can't get access to the original info.

Since Paraguay doesn't ask about classification in their Censuses, I don't know if there is a way to compare the results.

The somewhat high percentage of African contribution is not a surprise for me. It is not actually that high as in comparison with Brazil, for example, but most people usually think that Paraguay is a Euroamerindian mix with no African contribution at all. As I said it is not a surprise because there was a significant African presence in colonial Paraguay and slavery was not abolished until the 1840s at least (1846 was the last Census before the Paraguayan War and slavery was still legal).

There were Afroparaguayan soldiers during the Paraguayan War

Most Paraguayans IMO look more European than what most people think. They are closer to the castizo range than the balanced mestizo one.

Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    Sub-Saharan African
    Ethnicity
    Mexican-American
    Angola Mexico Angola Mexico Angola Mexico

Quote Originally Posted by Caipira View Post
    For the people who asked about Paraguay

Genetic tests about the average contribution in Paraguayans

European - 55,0%; Amerindian - 37,0%; African - 8,0%
    https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...18442X14001036

European - 59,9%; Amerindian - 30,9%; African - 9,2%
    https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...75176817300252

Maybe I got the data wrong, but It was in the Wiki article for Paraguay and I checked if the info was real. There are another two tests but I can't get access to the original info.

Since Paraguay doesn't ask about classification in their Censuses, I don't know if there is a way to compare the results.

The somewhat high percentage of African contribution is not a surprise for me. It is not actually that high as in comparison with Brazil, for example, but most people usually think that Paraguay is a Euroamerindian mix with no African contribution at all. As I said it is not a surprise because there was a significant African presence in colonial Paraguay and slavery was not abolished until the 1840s at least (1846 was the last Census before the Paraguayan War and slavery was still legal).

There were Afroparaguayan soldiers during the Paraguayan War

Most Paraguayans IMO look more European than what most people think. They are closer to the castizo range than the balanced mestizo one.

The study took samples from Eastern Paraguay
    "A total of 299 blood samples were collected from individuals living in different departments of eastern Paraguay"

I am thinking many of those have heritage from Brazil, Eastern Paraguay is where they mostly settled in, I think that is why the high SSA, although I am sure they have SSA but they are most likely within the same range as other mestizo populations in Latin America which is between 1-5%

It would be nice to see other results from different regions

Paraguayans seemed more harnizo to me with lots of white looking people
    but also many despite their light skin and hair, tend to look very native american

I would like to travel there

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Celph Titled For This Useful Post:

Caipira (2019-02-23)

Established Member
    Last Online
    Caucasoid
    Phenotype
    Mediterranid
    Politics
    Liberal conservative
    Religion
    Roman Catholicism

Quote Originally Posted by Celph Titled View Post
    The study took samples from Eastern Paraguay
    "A total of 299 blood samples were collected from individuals living in different departments of eastern Paraguay"

I am thinking many of those have heritage from Brazil, Eastern Paraguay is where they mostly settled in, I think that is why the high SSA, although I am sure they have SSA but they are most likely within the same range as other mestizo populations in Latin America which is between 1-5%

It would be nice to see other results from different regions

Paraguayans seemed more harnizo to me with lots of white looking people
    but also many despite their light skin and hair, tend to look very native american

I would like to travel there
    I honestly can't say if the somewhat high amounts of SSA influence is due Brazilians in Eastern Paraguay. That indeed maybe the case, but it is not a certainty, as many Brazilian that settled that region were of predomintantly European background (90% and higher) because they were usually from those cities that were former German or Eastern European colonies in Southern Brazil (such as Prudentópolis, Paraná state, one of the main places for the Ukrainian immigration in Brazil).

For instance, there were some villages in Paraguay that were settled mostly by Afroparaguayans in the colonial period and early Republic, but I think they were in the Asúncion region. I guess we will only know the truth when results from the Western parts are available.

My first thought of them was more as Harnizo too, but I was not too sure lol. I met a good number of Paraguayans here and they didn't look that different from our "mestizos" (that usually are castizos), but probably they were more Euro influenced. I only realized they were not Brazilians when they started to speak Portuguese with a strong accent from Spanish-America countries trying to speak our language lol.

I would like to visit the country, too. Many Paraguayan women can be very beautiful, trust me lol.

Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    Sub-Saharan African
    Ethnicity
    Mexican-American
    Angola Mexico Angola Mexico Angola Mexico

Quote Originally Posted by Caipira View Post
    I honestly can't say if the somewhat high amounts of SSA influence is due Brazilians in Eastern Paraguay. That indeed maybe the case, but it is not a certainty, as many Brazilian that settled that region were of predomintantly European background (90% and higher) because they were usually from those cities that were former German or Eastern European colonies in Southern Brazil (such as Prudentópolis, Paraná state, one of the main places for the Ukrainian immigration in Brazil).
    Could be the case, I was googling area of Parauguay were over 80% of its people are of Brazilian background and majority of them look mix race, some also display SSA features. But there is a large minority that looks Eastern Euro and German though, but the vast majority does look mix race

all of these people look very Brazilian to me

but you can definitely see the Brazilians who are of German/Eastern Euro
    example

For instance, there were some villages in Paraguay that were settled mostly by Afroparaguayans in the colonial period and early Republic, but I think they were in the Asúncion region. I guess we will only know the truth when results from the Western parts are available.
    im willing to bet those settlements are all gone by race mixing, or else they would have Afro-Paraguayan towns like there are found in Mexico. I think Paraguay is like Mexico when it comes to the SSA history and genes but with the only difference that there are no real Afro-Paraguayans left in that nation anymore unlike with Mexico

I think most of Uruguay's black population has origins in Brazil as well, I remember reading about it and also Annie from TA confirming it to be true

Although Uruguay like any country in Latin America did have a slave population in the colonial days but I am sure colonial Afro-Uruguayans are not found anymore in Uruguay, leaving the current black population of Uruguay being of Brazilian origin.

My first thought of them was more as Harnizo too, but I was not too sure lol. I met a good number of Paraguayans here and they didn't look that different from our "mestizos" (that usually are castizos), but probably they were more Euro influenced. I only realized they were not Brazilians when they started to speak Portuguese with a strong accent from Spanish-America countries trying to speak our language lol.

I would like to visit the country, too. Many Paraguayan women can be very beautiful, trust me lol.
    I have found a DNA result of a Paraguayan, not sure what part he is from

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Celph Titled For This Useful Post:

Caipira (2019-03-04), Iron Hand (2019-03-04)

Established Member
    Last Online
    Caucasoid
    Phenotype
    Mediterranid
    Politics
    Liberal conservative
    Religion
    Roman Catholicism

Quote Originally Posted by Celph Titled View Post
    Could be the case, I was googling area of Parauguay were over 80% of its people are of Brazilian background and majority of them look mix race, some also display SSA features. But there is a large minority that looks Eastern Euro and German though, but the vast majority does look mix race

all of these people look very Brazilian to me

but you can definitely see the Brazilians who are of German/Eastern Euro
    example

im willing to bet those settlements are all gone by race mixing, or else they would have Afro-Paraguayan towns like there are found in Mexico. I think Paraguay is like Mexico when it comes to the SSA history and genes but with the only difference that there are no real Afro-Paraguayans left in that nation anymore unlike with Mexico

I think most of Uruguay's black population has origins in Brazil as well, I remember reading about it and also Annie from TA confirming it to be true

Although Uruguay like any country in Latin America did have a slave population in the colonial days but I am sure colonial Afro-Uruguayans are not found anymore in Uruguay, leaving the current black population of Uruguay being of Brazilian origin.

I have found a DNA result of a Paraguayan, not sure what part he is from
    Indeed, most of the Afro-Paraguayan population disappeared due to mixing with the overall population. There was a city in Paraguay founded by José de Artigas and his guard composed of Afro-Argentines/Afro-Uruguayans (his guard was composed by little more than 100 people). After losing a battle in 1819 or 1820, he received asylum by Paraguayan dictador Francia and settled there with his men. Slavery was not abolished until the 1860s I guess, as there were slaves in Paraguayan army in the war against Brazil, Argentina and Uruguay.

Brazilians of any background can be found in large numbers in Paraguay, anyway. There was a rumor that most Paraguayans have Brazilian ancestry, btw. The presence of people from what is today Brazil in colonial Paraguay is well known by South American historians. There was a significant exchange between Asunción and São Paulo during the 1550s-1640s, using an old indian route called Peabiru. Many Portugueses de São Paulo settled there and many Castellanos de Asunción settled here because both were interested in the Amerindian slave trade (as I already said, many Paraguayans were among the first inhabitants of the Paulista village of Sorocaba, for example, and many took part in raids made by Paulistas to capture Amerindians as slaves), both spoke almost the same language (Guarani and Tupi are to each other the same as Portuguese is to Spanish language. Tupi was the language spoke in the Brazilian countryside until it was banned by Marquis of Pombal in the late 18th century. Portuguese was used only on the littoral) and both had the same king for 60 years (Iberian Union).

There is a small percentage of Uruguayans tracing their ancestry to the Portuguese that settled Colonia del Sacramento, starting in the 17th century. Colonia change sides between Portugal and Spain a dozen times until the 1820s. Usually, the Portuguese were allowed to stay when Spain eventually conquered the city. Some left, but many resettled there when Portugal regained control. Not all were Portuguese from Portugal, as was costumary for Portugal to use settlers from São Paulo, Minas Gerais or Rio Grande do Sul to settle the countryside for them.

I can't say about the origin of most Afro-Uruguayans. Uruguay was indeed a place where many Brazilian slaves fled in the 19th century because the Uruguayan government abolished slavery in the 1840s, while the Brazilian government did the same only in 1888. But there were always slaves in Uruguay too, as one of the reasons for the Portuguese to found Colonia del Sacramento in the late 17th century was to make easier for them to smuggle African slaves in the Rio de la Prata region in exchange for leather made in Buenos Aires. There was a large African population in colonial Argentina, sometimes as large as the Brazilian one if the 1778 colonial Census there was right. I don't know if the same happened in Montevideo (Uruguay was basically Colonia and Montevideo at that time). Today, we all know that the African population in Argentina is almost non-existant due to higher mortality rates than the white/mestizo/amerindian in the 19th century, use of the Afro-Argentines in liberation wars and most important the large European immigration after 1850 (Argentina was the second country IN THE WORLD in number of immigrants received during 1850-1950. Only USA was ahead). The same probably happened to Uruguay.
    Last edited by Caipira; 2019-03-04 at 14:32.

Last Online
    Today @ 10:08

You guys need to travel and you will see how european is latinamerica ... basically with the exception of parts of brazil argentina and uruguay ... the very predominant sections of the population are mestizos ... the use of the word white is very non technical in this forum...

Last Online
    Today @ 10:08

Quote Originally Posted by cmv88 View Post
    According to Genetic tests

1 Uruguay 75-80% euro
    2 Argentina 70-75% euro
    3 Brazil Cuba 68-72% euro
    4 Puerto Rico 65-70% euro
    5 Colombia, Costa Rica 55-65% euro
    6 Paraguay Chile Venezuela D Republic 45-55% euro
    7 Peru Bolivia 25-35% european
    1 Uruguay 72-77% euro