Infidel Revolutionary Holden Caulfield's Avatar
    Last Online
    2011-04-26 @ 00:52
    Human
    Politics
    Progressive Moderate
    United Nations Red flag

Default Sexist Chinese Characters Discriminate Against Women

A little late for International Women's (or is it Womyn's now?) Day, but still.

http://www.chinasmack.com/stories/se...against-women/
    Gender equality is an element of civic equality. At the same time, it is the fundamental principle of our national law based on the spirit of equality, and the goal of our national government and the greater society strive to. We all know that this world is composed of both men and women.

Even during my elementary school years, looking through the dictionary left me with many impressions many dirty, wretched, negative meaning words contain the radical 女[female], and this type of [character] structure is not fair to women.

These 16 characters are: 娱[amusement], 耍[playful], 婪[greedy], 嫉[envy], 妒[envy], 嫌[dislike], 佞[to flatter], 妄[presumptuous], 妖[evil], 奴[slave], 妓[prostitute], 娼[prostitute], 奸[rape], 姘[have an affair], 婊[prostitute] and 嫖[prostitute].

These Hanzi characters not only disrespect women, but also give the future of Chinas masters the healthy upbringing of children a negative impact. People at birth, are naturally good. Their natures are similar, their habits make them different.
    I wonder what our resident Chinaman thinks about this article.

For the non-Chinese speakers, do you agree that Chinese needs to be changed to be more gender neutral? What changes can other languages make to embrace social, racial, and gender equality?

What languages are the most sexist? What are the least?

2. # ADS
    Advertisement bot

Established Member
    Last Online
    2017-01-05 @ 16:09
    East Asian
    Phenotype
    Sinid
    Ethnicity
    Han
    Politics
    Reactionary
    Religion
    al-Islam
    China Taiwan Islamic Conference Antarctica Hong Kong

All languages have some bias no matter what. As much as it displeases Comrade Commissar Caulfield here, men are different from women, the Negroids are different from Caucasoids, the Mongoloids are different from Caucasoids, and so on. This does not necessarily imply that those who believe in difference believe in hierarchy, as Comrade Commissar Caulfield might try to suggest, but since differences exist in visuo-spatial form, language, which is often used to represent images and situations, will reflect that.

But, rather back on topic, I've always wondered why female police officers aren't called "officeresses". A female actor is called an "actress," and a female lion is called a "lioness,"; officeress should follow suit.
    If you're ever in any trouble, just give me the signal and I'll send you one of my 357 Pain Pills.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DrDawud For This Useful Post:

Rochefaton (2010-03-13)

Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    Race
    Europid
    Phenotype
    Nordid
    Metaethnos
    Germanic
    Politics
    Far Right
    Canada Netherlands Netherlands Antilles Commonwealth United States Canada Weed Flag

Gender inequality is most often against women. This isn't a huge surprise to most people. If you think it is unfair, that they don't talk about inequality against men, then open your eyes. If most inequality is against women, then being silenced for even speaking about that inequality, is another way we are being oppressed. In Chinese culture, the Ying is seen as the dark, negative side; it is also female. Indeed, such sexist Chinese characters deliver a kind of discrimination against women, and have negative effects on everyone during their writing and reading. In the early days of the PRC, the government changed some characters for the names of minority ethnic groups, that were thought to be pejorative. However, I don't think it is practical to remove these characters, or replacing them with gender-neutral characters. So far as I am concerned, what matters is, that we should not cultivate sexism in our mind. Taken the other way around, wouldn't it be a good idea, that they take these sexist Chinese characters as warning signs, that tell men to treat women equally? At some point, China is going to have almost no women, so there won't be more children, they really should think ahead before killing their baby daughters, or giving them up for adoption.