28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

15 53.57%
  • No

13 46.43%
  • I don't know

0 0%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Should Québec and French west indies be considered part of Latin America ?2530 days old

Established Member
    Last Online
    2012-11-17 @ 22:42
    Ethnicity
    Catalan
    Politics
    Eating colonists.
    Religion
    I will go to Hell.
    Catalonia

Furthermore:

1- We are forgetting milions of Southern Americans whose natural language is not Spanish (for example, Evo Morales has just made more than 30 languages official). In fact, after independence two centuries ago, only 1 of 3 inhabitants of these countries were able to speak Spanish.
    2- I don't feel like "Latin". For example, Romania... a country with a latin language, but I'm not feel related to. Not really.
    Last edited by Cinderella; 2012-08-13 at 00:13.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement bot

Established Member
    Last Online
    2014-10-10 @ 18:37
    Phenotype
    heptacosioiracial
    Religion
    Christian
    Argentina Italy

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderella View Post
    Furthermore:

1- We are forgetting milions of Southern Americans whose natural language is not Spanish (for example, Evo Morales has just made more than 30 languages official). In fact, after independence two centuries ago, only 1 of 3 inhabitants of these countries were able to speak Spanish.
    2- I don't feel like "Latin". For example, Romania... a country with a latin language, but I'm not feel related to. Not really.
    Spanish is an official language in all of the former Spanish provinces. Only extremely old people in rural areas are incapable of speaking Spanish. I would say that the they represent less than 1% of the population in Latin America. Hence, they are not "millions", but rather "thousands".

Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    Brazilian
    Brazil

In the Anglosphere it seems they include Haiti and Jamaica, French and English speaking countries, in the same category as the other "Latin American" countries:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:La...ca_regions.svg

[IMGlink]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/62/Latin_America_regions.svg[/IMGlink]
    Last edited by Ubirajara; 2012-08-13 at 03:16.
    Sche innam me pepicke keseagu

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ubirajara For This Useful Post:

Crypto (2012-08-13)

Established Member
    Last Online
    Phenotype
    heptacosioiracial
    Religion
    Christian
    Argentina Italy

^ Yes, that's because the way they are delimiting Latin America is not based on a logical criterion. I think we should stick to the original meaning of the word Latin. If we do that, Quebec and any other French-speaking region of America must be considered part of Latin America.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Crypto For This Useful Post:

Ubirajara (2012-08-13)

Established Member
    Molecular Biologist tauromenion's Avatar
    Last Online
    2019-07-13 @ 19:41
    R1a1a
    mtDNA
    H
    Race
    Caucasoid
    Phenotype
    Mediterranid
    Politics
    Moderate.
    Italy Sicily-II Greece Portugal Israel Star of David Poland Cape Verde

Yes. They speak a Romance language, are Catholic, and are not Germanic-derived like Anglo-Canadians and the US.
    Some will say "it's more than just language, it's culture too." In that case, how is an Afro-Cuban or an indigenous Guatemalan culturally "Latin" anyway?

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tauromenion For This Useful Post:

Crypto (2012-08-13), Snchpnz (2012-08-13)

Wiki Editor
    Established Member
    Last Online
    2018-11-06 @ 01:57
    Caucasian
    Ethnicity
    Argentinian
    Phenotype
    Atlanto-Mediterranean
    Politics
    distributionism
    Religion
    catholic
    Argentina Spain traditional Catalonia Galicia Italy

Yes, so that everyone understands how retarded it is to classify "latin" countries as a category of similar things.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aregint For This Useful Post:

Crypto (2012-08-13), El R5 (2012-08-13), Sakarisker (2012-08-13)

Established Member
    Last Online
    Phenotype
    heptacosioiracial
    Religion
    Christian
    Argentina Italy

Quote Originally Posted by aregint View Post
    Yes, so that everyone understands how retarded it is to classify "latin" countries as a category of similar things.
    Sometimes people say to me: "Oh, you are a Latino! Teach me to dance salsa". But I have never danced salsa in my entire life. Latin America is too big to be regarded as a single, homogeneous cultural unit.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crypto For This Useful Post:

El R5 (2012-08-13), Sakarisker (2012-08-13)

Established Member
    Qui audet adipiscitur
    Last Online
    @

Quote Originally Posted by Crypto View Post
    Sometimes people say to me: "Oh, you are a Latino! Teach me to dance salsa". But I have never danced salsa in my entire life. Latin America is too big to be regarded as a single, homogeneous cultural unit.
    This is true. Gringos think everyone knows how to dance Salsa and other Caribbean dances. LoL.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to El R5 For This Useful Post:

Crypto (2012-08-13)

Email Inactive Molecular Biologist
    Last Online
    2013-09-02 @ 17:18

Currently no . Québecois speak a french who was used by the peasant and who was full of errors . The language who is currently speak in québec is an evolved form of a peasant/proleterain dialect who was imported to Canada . The french who is speak in France is an evolved form of the High class and Bourgeoisie french , I talk about the standard French not all the little dialects who can be found in the rural area .
    Their French is just as original as French accents spoken in provinces Brittany, southern France etc it may not derived from the "upper class" standard French but it's still French. Anyway my point was that Québecois claim that their French is just as original as one in France. I personally have been insulted for not speaking supposedly high class mainstream French because I spoke more like Québecois Canadians which is accent I learned first but I speak more mainstream now.

Hmm... In what ? They are mix with others european like Anglo/Irish/German and dutch ,and many of them has native .
    They have significant pred. French ancestry. I probably put it wrong way. I meant by my statement that they strongly identify as French and Francophone because they are a minority among Anglos while in France there isn't as great as need to strongly identify as Francophone etc.

Not all French do that. Majority of French are indifferent of Québécois .
    True not all do. But many do make fun of them. I do know people who speak in rural/provincial French are viewed in same way. The differentiation I have seen is when they put subtitles for Québecois in France but I understand the accent may be difficult for people of France to understand.
    Last edited by chicken; 2012-08-16 at 02:25.

Last Online
    2013-01-22 @ 03:11
    Celte + Franc
    Ethnicity
    oïl

Quote Originally Posted by Gavroche View Post
    Québecois speak a french who was used by the peasant and who was full of errors . The language who is currently speak in québec is an evolved form of a peasant/proleterain dialect who was imported to Canada .
    Absolutely wrong! French travellers who visited New France in the 17 and 18th were all stunned that everyone there, even the humblest peasants in remote villages, spoke le Français du Roy, the King's French. Which is quite logical since people in Canada were immigrants from all French provinces, they had right from the start to find a way of understanding each other and eventually they all agreed to use the purest possible French available back then.

(A similar process took place at the same time in the USA, the British colonists from various backgrounds (plus the Dutch and German minorities) couldn't but speak a homogeneous standard English while in Britain people used dialects that were barely mutually intelligible from a county to another. Still nowadays there is less dialectal variability in the USA than in England alone.)

Being overly conservative, Quebec speech was still a generation ago a relic of classical French from the 17th century, with features that gradually disappeared from European French, i.e. the rolled 'r's, diphtonguized vowels, strong nasal overtones and a tendency to lengthen stressed syllables.

Now Quebec French is quickly catching up, the 'r's aren't rolled anymore, "official" French used on the TV and in schools tend to become undistinguishable from European French (in the written forms there are virtually no differences anymore, at any rate much less than between UK and US English or than between Spain's Castilian and Latin American Spanish varieties).

Quote Originally Posted by chicken View Post
    I personally have been insulted for not speaking supposedly high class mainstream French because I spoke more like Québecois Canadians which is accent I learned first.
    Bloody liar!
    Contrary to inept Anglospheric stereotypes, the French are extremely tolerant to non-standard accents.
    Too much IMHO (how come the French elected for president a frigging Sarkozy who speaks only broken French, and with an unsurpassable vulgarity? That's still beyond me).

Quote Originally Posted by chicken View Post
    they put subtitles for Québecois in France
    This misrepresentation is common place among ignoranty Anglo morons.
    Last edited by Tanguy; 2012-08-26 at 03:17.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast