User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Finns and Japanese3496 days old

Email Inactive Race Scientist
    Last Online
    2011-11-04 @ 13:17
    NATO

Actually for me the far more interesting question is how some of the most wonderful design in the world can emerge from this sort of environment (Finnish or Japanese). For example Alvar Aalto is one of my personal heroes, a giant. Heck, I even put together my own personal shrine to a jewel of a building he did here in Reykjavik: http://www.daturner.com/aalto/

The Finnish and Japanese effortless flair for elevating the simple to the sublime is untouchable.

Something to do with allowing for space, both physical and existential? Silence of course is important, so that ones senses become more attuned to the possible, the invisible.

How the heck does it happen? How do those stoic Finns or Japanese, God bless 'em do it. Dunno.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Homus Afrikaans For This Useful Post:

Tuohikirje (2010-07-10)

3. # ADS
    Advertisement bot

Established Member
    Last Online
    Today @ 19:04
    N1c1-Z1941
    mtDNA
    T2f
    Finland

Quote Originally Posted by Homus Afrikaans View Post
    Actually for me the far more interesting question is how some of the most wonderful design in the world can emerge from this sort of environment (Finnish or Japanese). For example Alvar Aalto is one of my personal heroes, a giant. Heck, I even put together my own personal shrine to a jewel of a building he did here in Reykjavik: http://www.daturner.com/aalto/

The Finnish and Japanese effortless flair for elevating the simple to the sublime is untouchable.

Something to do with allowing for space, both physical and existential? Silence of course is important, so that ones senses become more attuned to the possible, the invisible.

How the heck does it happen? How do those stoic Finns or Japanese, God bless 'em do it. Dunno.
    I worked for Ahlstrom corporation, who own Villa Mairea by Alvar Aalto.

It is beautiful in it's environment surrounded by massive pine trees and sitting on a rocky hill. The building has to be exprerienced, if you do not believe the magic it has inside and outside.

http://www.designboom.com/history/aalto/villa.html
    "From the wolves within the thickets, from the roarings of the pine-tree, from the burrows of the fox-dog, art thou coming from these places?" Kalevala Rune XVII Väinämöinen finds the lost-word. https://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/kveng/kvrune17.htm

Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    I1-L258
    mtDNA
    H39
    Phenotype
    Appalachid
    Metaethnos
    Finnic-Baltic-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Finnish
    Politics
    Vandalism in Rome
    Finland European Union

Funny discussion. Japans are genetically the most distant people for Finns before Oceanians and Subsaharian people. Should we at first discuss about Finns and Austalian Aborigonals or Italian connections with ancient Mayas to have base for the discusion about connections between Finns and Swedes? I have understood by reading this board that Finns and Swedes are the most distant people on the earth.
    Last edited by Lemminkäinen; 2010-07-10 at 09:16.
    Blog: http://terheninenmaa.blogspot.fi/, with essence "Believe me, or I'll nuke you".

H39 - Thracia 1650 BC, Hungary 5000 BC
    I1 - Transdanubia 5000 BC

Three simple facts about Finns:
    1. Baltic Finnic languages (including Finnish) never came from the Volga basin along with ancestors of present-day Finns.
    2. Finnish I1 (around 30% of all Finns) has Germanic roots from the late Bronze Age or the early Iron Age.
    3. As to the Finnish prehistory we have no evidences about any Iron Age (or later) east-to-west migration, but many unquestionable evidences about west-to-east migrations.

Väinämöinen - R1a
    Lemminkäinen - I1
    Joukahainen - N

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Lemminkäinen For This Useful Post:

Tuohikirje (2010-07-10)

QBQ Banned
    Last Online
    2010-07-14 @ 01:51
    Race
    Caucasian
    Phenotype
    Cromagnid
    Metaethnos
    Slavic Galicia Polska
    Ethnicity
    Polish Catholic
    Phenotype
    Cro Magnon man
    Politics
    Conservative
    Religion
    PolishSlav Nationalist
    Poland Poland Volhynia United States Serbia coat of arms Slovakia

This is a good one.
    Finns & Japanese are not much different. Similar languages, looks, act similar ect.

Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    Europoid
    Metaethnos
    Finnic
    Ethnicity
    Coastal Finnish
    Phenotype
    Osteuropid/Tydal
    Politics
    Anti-Oligarchy
    Religion
    John 1:14
    Finland Sweden

Quote Originally Posted by PolskiMoc View Post
    This is a good one.
    Finns & Japanese are not much different. Similar languages, looks, act similar ect.

Yes, I'm sure that countries with average male heights on 1.815cm respectively 1.715cm are very similar in looks.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Finn with experience of anthropology forums
    Is that true? I have similar dreams, though about eugenics... I see images and craniums in front of me in the dreams. Words like sterilization, Germanics and others fly around as fragments in my head... scary stuff that I often dream about.

Then I go up, and look at myself in profile and from the front and in all angles, in all my mirrors that I have mounted up everywhere, and realise my Mongolian heritage and how the Swedes view me. Sometimes I cannot see the difference between myself and a Mongol, if the environment is cloudy.

Established Member
    Molecular Biologist
    Last Online
    2013-01-21 @ 14:40
    Nordic
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Norway

Quote Originally Posted by polskimoc View Post
    this is a good one.
    Finns & japanese are not much different. Similar languages, looks, act similar ect.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Pallantides For This Useful Post:

Viking (2010-07-10)

Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    Neanderthal
    Phenotype
    Archaic
    Politics
    Cros before hoes
    Religion
    Feet first into hell

I disagree, few Japanese people are Tungids, which is the predominant phenotype in inner Mongolia and Finland proper.

Isn't that so Viking?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Azvarohi For This Useful Post:

Viking (2010-07-10)

Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    Europoid
    Metaethnos
    Finnic
    Ethnicity
    Coastal Finnish
    Phenotype
    Osteuropid/Tydal
    Politics
    Anti-Oligarchy
    Religion
    John 1:14
    Finland Sweden

Quote Originally Posted by Azvarohi View Post
    I disagree, few Japanese people are Tungids, which is the predominant phenotype in inner Mongolia and Finland proper.

Isn't that so Viking?
    Of course. How could I forget about the Finnish Tungids? Didn't Lundman also write that there are some Sinids in eastern Finland (Karelia and Savolax)?
    Quote Originally Posted by A Finn with experience of anthropology forums
    Is that true? I have similar dreams, though about eugenics... I see images and craniums in front of me in the dreams. Words like sterilization, Germanics and others fly around as fragments in my head... scary stuff that I often dream about.

Then I go up, and look at myself in profile and from the front and in all angles, in all my mirrors that I have mounted up everywhere, and realise my Mongolian heritage and how the Swedes view me. Sometimes I cannot see the difference between myself and a Mongol, if the environment is cloudy.

Established Member
    Last Online
    @

Met my first Japanese acquaintance in Finland.
    He had only been in the country for a month (or was it two?) and was already almost fluent in Finnish. Very impressing. He said that learning Finnish was so easy, because Japanese and Finnish sound so similar. (But of course none of the words mean the same thing).

One of my best female friends is Japanese. We went to college together and became quite inseparable for years in sheer joy of just being together sharing many common interests.

Then one Japanese bloke and I lived in a shared house situation with some British descent Australians, and although we all socially lived our separate lives, at home "Masa" (my cousin's nick also) and I always gravitated to each others company, where we felt most at ease and natural to be ourselves. We kept in touch for quite long time afterwards, even when he moved back to Japan.

So personally speaking, I think that there is something to be said about Finnish and Japanese getting on well with each other. Depends I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Homus Afrikaans View Post

Form and space. So often when we perceive, the mechanical mind only focuses on "objects" without incorporating space into perception. Therefore I absolutely love Zen pottery, the interplay between form and emptiness.

Or the vastness of space in Basho's frog Haiku:

Breaking the silence
    Of an ancient pond,
    A frog jumped into water —
    A deep resonance.

From the utterly simple to the sublime.

And from the stillness and silence of the Zen Rock Garden:
    http://photos.lewisfamilia.net/image...en_1_b42fc.jpg

to the Chapel of Silence to be constructed in Helsinki:
    http://www.e-architect.co.uk/images/...2s020709_1.jpg

Very Zenish.

Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    I1-L258
    mtDNA
    H39
    Phenotype
    Appalachid
    Metaethnos
    Finnic-Baltic-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Finnish
    Politics
    Vandalism in Rome
    Finland European Union

PolskiMOc's comment about gay men reminds me that old Swedish tribes practiced homosexual rites. Young boys after age of pubertety were used by older men before they were accepted to have men's rights in their society.
    Blog: http://terheninenmaa.blogspot.fi/, with essence "Believe me, or I'll nuke you".

H39 - Thracia 1650 BC, Hungary 5000 BC
    I1 - Transdanubia 5000 BC

Three simple facts about Finns:
    1. Baltic Finnic languages (including Finnish) never came from the Volga basin along with ancestors of present-day Finns.
    2. Finnish I1 (around 30% of all Finns) has Germanic roots from the late Bronze Age or the early Iron Age.
    3. As to the Finnish prehistory we have no evidences about any Iron Age (or later) east-to-west migration, but many unquestionable evidences about west-to-east migrations.

Väinämöinen - R1a
    Lemminkäinen - I1
    Joukahainen - N

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast