User Tag List

Thread: Recommendations on Books about Linguistics and Urheimat Theories1717 days old

Wiki Editor
    Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    R1a1a*
    mtDNA
    U5a1b
    Metaethnos
    Corded Ware
    Ethnicity
    Swedish/Czech
    Politics
    Authoritarian

Default Recommendations on Books about Linguistics and Urheimat Theories

Do you people have any recommendations on good books about linguistics and urheimat theories?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Simi For This Useful Post:

beyw (2014-04-19), EliasAlucard (2014-04-19)

3. # ADS
    Advertisement bot

Senior Moderator
    Plant of Life = Biological Magic 麻 EliasAlucard's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Y-DNA
    J1a2b2-L147+ CMH-6
    mtDNA
    H5a
    Race
    Caucasian
    Phenotype
    Alpinid
    Metaethnos
    proto-Semitic
    Ethnicity
    Assyrian/Armenian
    Politics
    Environment, Cannabis
    Religion
    Secular Agnostic
    Assyria Assyria 1913-1923 Armenia Lebanon Sweden Greece

Yes The best one as far as I'm concerned, is Mallory's In Search of the Indo-Europeans. Once you've read it, you'll understand the basics in how to locate linguistic urheimats in general, because the various techniques employed for the PIE urheimat have been some of the most sophisticated, advanced and most thoroughly discussed, with 200+ years of academic debate on the matter, mainly by Europeans for Europeans, and these Indo-European techniques are just as valid for pin-pointing proto-Afro-Asiatic or any other language family (the linguistic palaeontology model as a case in point). To understand how important Mallory's monograph is, I shall quote an active contemporary Indo-Europeanist:

“The publication of Mallory’s book (1989) has rendered much of what I had to say in the present contribution superfluous. The author presents a carefully argued and very well written account of a balanced view on almost every aspect of the problem.” — Frederik Kortlandt, The Spread of the Indo-Europeans

The reason why the PIE urheimat revolutionised the theoretical urheimat field, is because the proto-Indo-Europeans were illiterate and existed as a tribe in pre-historic times (i.e., either before writing was invented or had reached their region of the world), and also because the Indo-European languages spread far and wide. This required lots of archaeological research and the development of advanced techniques (linguistic, archaeological and otherwise) to solve the PIE urheimat puzzle, and it is why, for example, the "centre of gravity model" (i.e., the centre of where the highest linguistic diversity in a language family is found) has been used by some Indo-Europeanists and criticised by for example Mallory in his minor paper, The homelands of the Indo-Europeans.

Edwin Bryant's The Quest for the Origins of Vedic Culture is excellent reading for understanding the Vedic Aryans and modern Hindu nationalists' ethnocentrism and inability to keep it objective (to a lesser extent, the same arguments used in the book about Indians can be said about Persians, Kurds and other Iranians; see below).

Elena Kuz'mina's and James Mallory's The Origin of the Indo-Iranians is highly informative reading about the early proto-Aryans (not proto-Indo-Europeans, although some still use Aryan as a synonym for Indo-European). I haven't read it yet, but I imagine it's a lot of Scythian stuff. Although not without his flaws, anything written by Mallory is excellent reading, written with a clear touch of what I call, the Socratian knowledge mentality. In other words, superb quality.

Swedish cultural Marxist Stefan Arvidsson's Aryan Idols: Indo-European Mythology as Ideology and Science, is pretty good reading and although more about religion/mythology and politics than linguistics, it does touch upon the urheimat stuff a little.

As for linguistics, the most authoritative is probably JP Mallory's and DQ Adams', The Oxford Introduction to Proto-Indo-European and the Proto-Indo-European World. I've checked it out a little, and it's like they squeezed in the entire reconstructed proto-Indo-European language into it.

Most books on urheimats and linguistics are about the PIE urheimat and Indo-European langauges, and that's because Eurocentrism still is influential in academia. I'd personally like to read more about the Afro-Asiatic urheimat, but with the exception of Russian (who are excellent and top notch in their field) and other Slavic linguists (most notably Václav Blažek), it doesn't seem to be much good and useful written about the Afro-Asiatic language family and its urheimat, and most of it is politicised by Negrocentric fringe academics like Shomarka Keita and ideological crackpots like Martin Bernal (“Black Athena”, lol).
    Last edited by EliasAlucard; 2014-04-19 at 14:36.
    ReactOS <--- support this project so that we can get rid of Windows!
    Ubuntu MATE 16.04.1 LTS | PRISM-Break! | Windows7sins

“A wise man makes his own decisions; an ignorant man follows public opinion.” ― Chinese proverb

“Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under.” ― H. L. Mencken

“The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance.”Socrates

“Damnant quod non intelligunt.” ― Latin proverb

Quoted for truth:
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaron View Post
    Anatolian Urhemait supporters are mostly butthurt Meds.
    For the lulz:
    Quote Originally Posted by drgs View Post
    Poland is a misunderstanding. It is a country which lies on the frontier between western and slavic world, and which combines elements of both.
    In fact, they are not even the Europeans in strict sense, meaning European as in bearing the responsibility and understanding of European interests. Poland has always been an subordinate country, on one side sucking German dick, on the other side -- Russian one, some kind of "novice" europeans, who are full of inferiority complexes, hysteria and obsessity neuroses. This is also true for all Baltic countries

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to EliasAlucard For This Useful Post:

beyw (2014-04-19), BlackRain (2014-11-30), Cromagnorse (2014-04-19), Gungnir (2014-04-19), Khazar (2014-04-21), NixYO (2017-02-14), Simi (2014-04-19)

Wiki Editor
    The Grand Inquisitor of ABF NixYO's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Europid
    Metaethnos
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Politics
    Nationalism
    Religion
    Christianity
    Sweden Finland Kalmar Union Sami Sweden Tre Kronor

Thread title changed:

Literature → Recommendations on Books about Linguistics and Urheimat Theories

/mod
    “And, furthermore, that some people have a sex life and others don’t just because some are more attractive than others. I wanted to acknowledge that if people don’t have a sex life, it’s not for some moral reason, it’s just because they’re ugly. Once you’ve said it, it sounds obvious, but I wanted to say it.” — Michel Houellebecq

Established Member
    Last Online
    Today @ 23:28
    Baltic/German

Indo-European demic diffusion model
    by Carlos Quiles

The Indo-European demic diffusion model addresses the Proto-Indo-European Urheimat or homeland problem from a wide anthropological perspective, using linguistics, archaeology, as well as cultural and biological anthropology. More specifically, it integrates the most recent genetic research (including admixture analyses and SNP investigation) with the prevalent anthropological theories on migration routes from Neolithic and Chalcolithic cultures of the Pontic-Caspian steppe.

https://academiaprisca.org/en/resour...ffusion-model/

https://indo-european.info/indo-euro...-model-2-1.pdf

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skomand For This Useful Post:

David Noi (2017-07-13), Simi (2017-08-10)