Race
    Europid
    Phenotype
    Nordid
    Metaethnos
    Germanic
    Politics
    Far Right
    Canada Netherlands Netherlands Antilles Commonwealth United States Canada Weed Flag

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Silk For This Useful Post:

Auduid (2017-10-31)

3. # ADS
    Advertisement bot

QBS Banned
    12/17/2012-12/17/2017: 5 years RIP
    Last Online
    2017-12-17 @ 23:05

Lots of people on this forum have ideas about their prehistoric ancestors, but the Lapps are the only folk whom I had long dreamt of in such a representative fashion, for my own sense of heritage. Otherwise, the general historical background of the Indo-European world seems to be emblematic of society in which I feel innately comfortable. I'm not sure I readily identify with the cultures of the world further off the beaten path. Is it wrong that I am more attached to the roots of Lapland than the Levant, to the Atlantic rather than the Mediterranean? Can I still be a good Christian, if I don't drink wine as much as ale and perhaps like oats a bit more than wheat, or buy rapeseed oil instead of that from olives? No offense to fellow Indo-Europeans...
    Last edited by Auduid; 2017-10-31 at 05:03.

Established Member
    -
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:08

Quote Originally Posted by Evi View Post
    Saami were keeping not only reindeers, but also goats:

Look at the hay that Saami have compiled:

I deleted the website where the photos in your post were uploaded, but these were their sources:

http://collection.kunstkamera.ru/entity/OBJECT/72334
    https://www.kuvakokoelmat.fi/picture...K19731119_1437
    https://www.kuvakokoelmat.fi/picture...81123_2358.273

Below is a photo of Saami where you can see both a cow and a sheep (https://www.kuvakokoelmat.fi/pictures/view/KK3490_3488). The photo was taken in Inari (Finland) in 1925.

Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    Doggerlandic
    Ethnicity
    South Norse
    Phenotype
    Kostenkioid
    Politics
    Relativism
    Religion
    None
    Denmark Viking Finland Spain Castile

Quote Originally Posted by Auduid View Post
    Lots of people on this forum have ideas about their prehistoric ancestors, but the Lapps are the only folk whom I had long dreamt of in such a representative fashion, for my own sense of heritage. Otherwise, the general historical background of the Indo-European world seems to be emblematic of society in which I feel innately comfortable. I'm not sure I readily identify with the cultures of the world further off the beaten path. Is it wrong that I am more attached to the roots of Lapland than the Levant, to the Atlantic rather than the Mediterranean? Can I still be a good Christian, if I don't drink wine as much as ale and perhaps like oats a bit more than wheat, or buy rapeseed oil instead of that from olives? No offense to fellow Indo-Europeans...
    There's no difference between Sami and anyone else, they are just people, just as greedy as any other people, on an individual basis. They are not reindeer herder nomads, as it is only a small segment of the Sámi who ever were nomads.

However the nomads have become the signature Sámi in the public eye - probably because the Sámi are just a few thousand hillbillies and that is all they are. In fact, they (the herders) are as much encroaching on the natural environment as the miners (whom they strongly oppose) are, since they have unnaturally giant herds of reindeer roaming around, and their presence is not as a part of the natural cycle, but they do all they can to preserve the reindeer at the expense of the natural environment - which they wanna take from, but not give to.

And that is the real truth, they behave like Europeans did in the nineteenth century (which is about when they started herding in the organised manner they do now) by trying to exploit the natural environment directly at the expense of real nature, similar to European sheep farmers.

So, if you subscribe to the Sámi as some kind of special people who are different than other people, you're just into some kind of noble savage romanticism instead of reality.

Yeh, I know he is banned, this is just in general.
    Last edited by JaM; 2019-07-27 at 09:43.

Established Member
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:55
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Belarusian
    Lithuania Grand Duchy

Quote Originally Posted by JaM View Post
    They are not reindeer herder nomads, as it is only a small segment of the Sámi who ever were nomads.
    How Sami survived few hundreds years ago in Kola peninsular which is completely inside of Arctic circle. The land permafrost (permanently frozen) with few plants that can grow. Fishing and herding animals.

Drawing of Skolt Sami in Kola peninsular (1871). Skolts also live in northern Norway & Finland. : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skolts

Established Member
    -
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:08

Quote Originally Posted by Rugevit View Post
    How Sami survived few hundreds years ago in Kola peninsular which is completely inside of Arctic circle. The land permafrost (permanently frozen) with few plants that can grow.
    A small part of the Kola Peninsula is not even above the arctic circle. Only parts of the Kola Peninsula are under "sporadic" or "isolated" permafrost according to this map:

Established Member
    Last Online
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Belarusian
    Lithuania Grand Duchy

Quote Originally Posted by Yyy View Post
    A small part of the Kola Peninsula is not even above the arctic circle. Only parts of the Kola Peninsula are under "sporadic" or "isolated" permafrost according to this map:
    Okay! It's still cold to grow fruits & vegetables. Daily mean temperatures in Mezen (just south of Kola peninsula) from May to September is (4.1C, 10.7C, 14.5C, 12C, 7.1C). Nights are colder. Climate in Kola peninsula is even more colder. There's little one can grow in a climate that has one month of 14.5C. If reindeers are able to find grass under the snow, then most livestock need hay & grains in winters which are long in that climatе.
    PS Pomors also lived in the region around White sea. Their main source of food was fish.
    Last edited by Rugevit; 2019-07-29 at 02:07.

Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    I1-L258
    mtDNA
    H39
    Phenotype
    Appalachid
    Metaethnos
    Finnic-Baltic-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Finnish
    Politics
    Vandalism in Rome
    Finland European Union

Saamis are considered as aboriginals or indigenous people, at least they have wanted this status. But they speak Finno-Ugric language and all linguist theories allege that FU languages are not originally from Fennoscadinavia or even near from it. Of course we can play the fool and say that also American Indians came from Asia or something else equally comical. But we know now, thanks for science, that the original Fennoscandiavian settlers were not genetically and linguistically like Saamis. All this hassle about aboriginals or indigenous people are only a cultural delusion. People living in the subarctic zone have different life style than people in more southern metropolis areas, but it doesn't make either of them indigenous people. This delusional image feeds mutual paradigm that some people in Europe are more indigenous than some other. So, we could try to understand this and not make any equation between Old and New Worlds, speaking about indigenously. Do Saami people lose something if they start to make high class innovative softwares instead of reindeer herding? Is it disallowed for them?
    Blog: http://terheninenmaa.blogspot.fi/, with essence "Believe me, or I'll nuke you".

H39 - Thracia 1650 BC, Hungary 5000 BC
    I1 - Transdanubia 5000 BC

Three simple facts about Finns:
    1. Baltic Finnic languages (including Finnish) never came from the Volga basin along with ancestors of present-day Finns.
    2. Finnish I1 (around 30% of all Finns) has Germanic roots from the late Bronze Age or the early Iron Age.
    3. As to the Finnish prehistory we have no evidences about any Iron Age (or later) east-to-west migration, but many unquestionable evidences about west-to-east migrations.

Väinämöinen - R1a
    Lemminkäinen - I1
    Joukahainen - N

Established Member
    Last Online
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Belarusian
    Lithuania Grand Duchy

For many people in the north the only way to survive was to fish ,hunt and heard reindeers.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15