User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 33

Thread: The analysis of racial structure of early dynastic populations in Egypt2469 days old

  1. #1
    Banned
    Evolutionary Biologist
    Last Online
    @
    Join Date
    2012-09-28
    Posts
    274
    Gender

    Default The analysis of racial structure of early dynastic populations in Egypt

    I finally managed to track down this important paper, Wiercinski A. (1965). "The analysis of racial structure of early dynastic populations in Egypt". Mater i Prace Antropol. 71. pp. 3–48.

    I added the results first on my blogspot, but will post them here.

    Wiercinski (1965) undertook a typological analysis of 155 Pre/early Dynastic skulls from Egypt, identifying nine types:



    Note: The Berberic is loosely synonymous with Aethiopid and shows a mixture of Caucasoid and Negroid traits. Wiercinski's "Negroid" is in fact Bushmanoid, his Sudanese is Sudanid (Negroid). The Oriental is not Mongoloid, but a type close to the Mediterranean, most closely representing the Irano-Afgan, or Orientalid.

    I have summarised the types as follows for convenience (some micro-variations exist):

    Nordic: subdolichochranic, hypsicephalic, leptoprosopic, leptorrhine, orthognathic
    Cromagnonoid: dolichocranic, chamaecephalic, euryprosopic, meso-leptorrhine, orthognathic
    Berberic + Highland: dolichocranic, orthocephalic, mesoprosopic, meso-platyrrhine, meso-prognathic
    Mediterranean: dolicho-mesochranic, orthocephalic, meso-leptoprosopic, leptorrhine, orthognathic
    Oriental: dolichocephalic, hypsic-orthocephalic, mesoprosopic, leptorrhine, orthognathic
    Armenoid: brachycranic, hypsicephalic, leptoprosopic, hyper-leptorrhine, orthognathic
    Lapponoid: brachycranic, chamaecephalic, meso- euryprosopic, meso-leptorrhine, orthognathic
    Negroid + Pygmic: Mesocranic, chamae-orthocephalic, meso-euryprosopic, platyrrhine, prognathic
    Sudanese: dolichocranic, hypsic-orthocephalic, mesoprosopic, platyrrhine, prognathic

    Wiercinski also took orbital index, and absence or presence of the nasal spine into account.

    His conclusion was that: "The results of individual racial analysis seems to contradict a concept of African cradle of Predynastic populations since their core is constituted by the element characteristic for ancient a well as modern populations of Western Asia and Indian Peninsula".

    - Pretty much a strong blow to Afrocentrism.
    Last edited by BookGremlin; 2013-01-17 at 16:56.

  2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BookGremlin For This Useful Post:

    asingh (2013-01-17), randomguy1235 (2013-01-17), Simi (2013-01-17), Zakar-Baal (2013-01-17)

  3. # ADS
    Advertisement bot
    Join Date
    2013-03-24
    Posts
    All threads
       
     

  4. #2
    Established Member
    Slayer of Bullshit
    Last Online
    @
    Join Date
    2009-10-23
    Posts
    3,197
    Gender
    Phenotype
    Mediterranid
    Metaethnos
    European
    Phenotype
    UP/Atlanto-Med
    Religion
    All's fair in love&war

    Default

    Afrocentrism may be largely wrong but the population is very mixed, with the Berberic (BookGremlin's mixed Caucasoid-Negroid) type the most common single type.

  5. #3
    Established Member
    Check my butt
    Last Online
    @
    Join Date
    2013-12-31
    Posts
    548
    Location
    West London
    Gender
    Phenotype
    AtlantoMed

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by voyager View Post
    Afrocentrism may be largely wrong but the population is very mixed, with the Berberic (BookGremlin's mixed Caucasoid-Negroid) type the most common single type.
    Well one could look at the modern farmers of the Nile valley (fallahin) to see unique features and a clearly distinct aegyptid phenotype native to the region. But well this paper seem to show a rather mixed population.

  6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dohan. For This Useful Post:

    beyoku (2015-05-12), KING OF KUSH (2019-02-25), voyager (2015-05-12)

  7. #4
    Established Member
    Slayer of Bullshit
    Last Online
    @
    Join Date
    2009-10-23
    Posts
    3,197
    Gender
    Phenotype
    Mediterranid
    Metaethnos
    European
    Phenotype
    UP/Atlanto-Med
    Religion
    All's fair in love&war

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dohan. View Post
    Well one could look at the modern farmers of the Nile valley (fallahin) to see unique features and a clearly distinct aegyptid phenotype native to the region. But well this paper seem to show a rather mixed population.
    Is there not some kind of cline from more Horner to more Eastern Mediterranean as we pass northwards along the Nile valley?

  8. #5
    Established Member
    Molecular Biologist
    Last Online
    Today @ 16:17
    Join Date
    2010-01-07
    Posts
    5,282
    Gender
    Y-DNA
    E1b1a8*
    mtDNA
    L0a1a2
    Ethnicity
    "Black"
    Politics
    Praise the Sun
    Religion
    Sun Worship
    African Union(OAS) United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by voyager View Post
    Is there not some kind of cline from more Horner to more Eastern Mediterranean as we pass northwards along the Nile valley?
    This is a very good question. Its somewhat complicated to answer but I think everyone that has visited the regions, especial the Africans here would agree with what I am about to say.

    -There is a cline but it is NOT simple and two dimensional.
    -The clines that exist, and are expressed by way of physical features do NOT have a clear correspondence with Ancestry.
    -The clines that exist, that people will associate with non-African ancestry/Caucasoids still peak in Africa....This is to say the features that have Somali diverge away from "Sub Saharans" doesn't leave you with an Arab on the other side, simply a maxxed out Somali. This links to the second point in that Somali have straighter hair than Habesha for the most part yet are more "Sub Saharan". I have seen some Habesha hair as nappy as Khoisan/Hadza.

    I am reading a anthro book on ancient Saharans that takes facial measurements and compares them to other populations. They include Canary Islands, some Oasis, North Africans and a pooled Somali/Ethiopian sample. The Horner sample encompasses the entire range of all the others. There are maybe 2 samples not with the measurements. There is extreme diversity.....related to environment and probably related to African populations that no longer exist.

  9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to beyoku For This Useful Post:

    Dohan. (2015-05-14), KING OF KUSH (2018-11-03), pgbk87 (2015-05-14), voyager (2015-05-14)

  10. #6
    Established Member
    Molecular Biologist Ether's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Join Date
    2014-04-13
    Posts
    779
    Gender
    Metaethnos
    Kang
    Egypt Israel Ethiopia Israel Star of David

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by beyoku View Post
    The clines that exist, that people will associate with non-African ancestry/Caucasoids still peak in Africa....This is to say the features that have Somali diverge away from "Sub Saharans" doesn't leave you with an Arab on the other side, simply a maxxed out Somali. This links to the second point in that Somali have straighter hair than Habesha for the most part yet are more "Sub Saharan". I have seen some Habesha hair as nappy as Khoisan/Hadza.
    I think this is the case because of reduced hunter-gatherer ancestry further east in the Horn vs the more Omotic/proto-Hadza/Hunter-Gatherer affected areas in the middle. If those mislabeled Northern Agaws of Pagani are actually true Afar, then that also holds true for the Afar (reduced hunter-gatherer element and generally lower frequency of peppercorn hair).

  11. #7
    Established Member
    شيخ Awale's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Join Date
    2014-04-18
    Posts
    2,015
    Gender
    Age
    24
    Y-DNA
    E-V32
    mtDNA
    N1a
    Ethnicity
    Somali
    Somalia Ethiopia Eritrea Djibouti

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ether View Post
    I think this is the case because of reduced hunter-gatherer ancestry further east in the Horn vs the more Omotic/proto-Hadza/Hunter-Gatherer affected areas in the middle. If those mislabeled Northern Agaws of Pagani are actually true Afar, then that also holds true for the Afar (reduced hunter-gatherer element and generally lower frequency of peppercorn hair).
    They're not true Afar... Seriously no chance of that. It's clear that it was a mislabel (you can see this in their supplemental very clearly) especially given how similar they seem to Beta Israels in Shriner et al. and how they cluster with Habeshas but I imagine Afars do actually have Omotic ancestry especially those in Ethiopia.

    I'm actually working on getting some Afars sampled... I'm contacting diaspora members via social networking sites (offering to even pay for their 23andme kits), it's slow but I'm getting somewhere with a few people.
    Last edited by Awale; 2015-05-14 at 17:13.

  12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Awale For This Useful Post:

    beyoku (2015-05-15), Ether (2015-05-14), Lol_Race (2015-05-14), pgbk87 (2015-05-15), randomguy1235 (2015-05-14)

  13. #8
    Established Member
    Molecular Biologist Ether's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Join Date
    2014-04-13
    Posts
    779
    Gender
    Metaethnos
    Kang
    Egypt Israel Ethiopia Israel Star of David

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Awale View Post
    They're not true Afar... Seriously no chance of that. It's clear that it was a mislabel (you can see this in their supplemental very clearly) especially given how similar they seem to Beta Israels in Shriner et al. and how they cluster with Habeshas but I imagine Afars do actually have Omotic ancestry especially those in Ethiopia.

    I'm actually working on getting some Afars sampled... I'm contacting diaspora members via social networking sites (offering to even pay for their 23andme kits), it's slow but I'm getting somewhere with a few people.
    Cool, preferably get an Afar from the Awash valley and not those from Eritrea or Djibouti (may not be representative I suspect).

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Ether For This Useful Post:

    Awale (2015-05-14)

  15. #9
    Established Member
    Molecular Biologist Ether's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Join Date
    2014-04-13
    Posts
    779
    Gender
    Metaethnos
    Kang
    Egypt Israel Ethiopia Israel Star of David

    Default

    If the Omotic cluster is merely a pseudo-Hadza component with minor Afrasan, it would explain the phenomenon observed by beyoku.

  16. #10
    Established Member
    Slayer of Bullshit
    Last Online
    @
    Join Date
    2009-10-23
    Posts
    3,197
    Gender
    Phenotype
    Mediterranid
    Metaethnos
    European
    Phenotype
    UP/Atlanto-Med
    Religion
    All's fair in love&war

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by beyoku View Post
    This is a very good question. Its somewhat complicated to answer but I think everyone that has visited the regions, especial the Africans here would agree with what I am about to say.

    -There is a cline but it is NOT simple and two dimensional.
    -The clines that exist, and are expressed by way of physical features do NOT have a clear correspondence with Ancestry.
    -The clines that exist, that people will associate with non-African ancestry/Caucasoids still peak in Africa....This is to say the features that have Somali diverge away from "Sub Saharans" doesn't leave you with an Arab on the other side, simply a maxxed out Somali. This links to the second point in that Somali have straighter hair than Habesha for the most part yet are more "Sub Saharan". I have seen some Habesha hair as nappy as Khoisan/Hadza.

    I am reading a anthro book on ancient Saharans that takes facial measurements and compares them to other populations. They include Canary Islands, some Oasis, North Africans and a pooled Somali/Ethiopian sample. The Horner sample encompasses the entire range of all the others. There are maybe 2 samples not with the measurements. There is extreme diversity.....related to environment and probably related to African populations that no longer exist.
    Do you have a link to this book or can you summarise its findings very briefly?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 2011-05-18, 20:58
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 2011-03-28, 15:47
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 2010-08-26, 02:26
  4. Intra-Euro Structure Analysis - ~3516 SNPs
    By Humanist in forum Genetic DNA Companies
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 2010-04-25, 19:12
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 2009-11-26, 00:23

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
<