User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Indigenous Peoples of "Colombia", "Ecuador", "Panama" and "Venezuela"1987 days old

Established Member
    Evolutionary Biologist
    Last Online
    @
    R1b (R-M153)
    mtDNA
    D1
    Phenotype
    Patagonid
    Politics
    Now I care lol
    United States

Quote Originally Posted by Maroon King View Post
    They are very numerous! Come to my region of Southwest Colombia and you will see in Cauca and Nariño. Also the Amazon region has tons. Also you must know there are many people who look 100% Native but are not considered Native because they're assimilated and thus counted into the Mestizo population.
    Do a lot of ecuadorans migrate to colombia? that might make the population more amerindian considering how andean that country is. I have met a lot of ecuadoran/colombian couples before here in queens, they seem to have some sort of unity going on.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement bot

Established Member
    AFRO-NATIVE SCHOLAR Maroon King's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    R1b1b2a1a2
    mtDNA
    A2
    Race
    Triracial
    Metaethnos
    Afrocolombiano
    Ethnicity
    Barbacoano/Pacifico
    Phenotype
    Native/SSA/Med
    Nigeria Mali Benin Guinea-Bissau Congo Democratic Republic Mozambique

Quote Originally Posted by Iroczor View Post
    Do a lot of ecuadorans migrate to colombia? that might make the population more amerindian considering how andean that country is. I have met a lot of ecuadoran/colombian couples before here in queens, they seem to have some sort of unity going on.
    I'm Ecuadorian too. My great great grandfather was from Ibarra, Ecuador and he settled in Barbacoas, Nariño. Southwest Colombia and Northwest Ecuador have a shared history and are two peoples. Two peoples because the Andean regions of SW Colombia and NW Ecuador are one people and the Pacific coastal rainforest regions of SW Colombia and NW Ecuador are another people. Whether you're in Pasto, Nariño, Colombia or Quito, Ecuador it is the same Andean culture and whether you're in Barbacoas/Tumaco, Nariño, Colombia or San Lorenzo/Esmeraldas, Ecuador it is the same Afro-Pacific coastal culture.

In reference to your migration question, it is the other way around though now. Most of us are returning to Ecuador because of Colombia's insecurities. So you will find plenty of Afro-Colombians in Ecuador's Pacific coastal towns and all types of Southwestern Colombians in Guayaquil, Ecuador. They say Guayaquil, Ecuador is like Cali, Colombia- a very diverse city with all types of people and mixes. Southwest Colombia has history and back and forth migration with Ecuador, the same way the Choco and Uraba region of Colombia has history and back and forth migration with Panama, and how the North Caribbean coast of Colombia has history and back and forth migration with Venezuela. Yet, these regions that have immense similarities tend to discriminate one another. And that is the case with a lot of Southwestern Colombians towards Ecuadorians. You hear anti-Ecuadorian expressions in the city of Cali, Colombia for example. The Indigenousness of Ecuador is used as a tool of discrimination for many Colombians to use against Ecuadorians but it is pure ignorance. My heritage is from Ecuador and Colombia and I will embrace that.

- - - Updated - - -

The Achagua have an estimate population number of 283 persons. Today they live in the reservations of Victoria-Umapo, Turpial, in the municipality of Puerto Lopez in the Meta department. There they live with another Native group, the Piapoco.

Their language belongs to the Arawak linguistic family.

At the time of the Spanish conquest, they were one of the most numerous and representative groups of the Orinoquia region and they inhabited a wide area that extended from Estados de Falcon, Aragua and Coro in Venezuela over to the Colombia side in the areas by the Meta river, Casanare river and the Ariporo river.

From Britannica Encyclopedia:

Achagua, South American Indian people of Venezuela and eastern Colombia. They speak a language of the Maipurean Arawakan group. Traditionally, the Achagua had typical tropical-forest economies, living in large villages and growing bitter cassava and other crops. The Achagua were warlike; they were one of the few native South American people to use arrows poisoned with curare.

Achagua social organization was distinguished by numerous lineages named for animals such as the serpent, bat, jaguar, and fox. Each such unit occupied one communal house in the village. The Achagua were polygynous, each man aiming to have three or four wives. The chiefs also maintained concubines. The wives were legally equal, and each cultivated her own separate field. Women were excluded from the men’s house and from a number of religious ceremonies. The Achagua believed in a supreme being, in a god of the fields, a god of riches, and gods of earthquakes, of madness, and of fire. They also worshipped lakes.

Achagua children at school

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maroon King For This Useful Post:

El Andullero (2014-04-18), Iroczor (2014-04-18)

Established Member
    Last Online
    2014-05-06 @ 01:23

Quote Originally Posted by Maroon King View Post
    They're more European mixed on average.
    I'm talking about the unmixed ones. Many have good height/body proportions unlike the majority of Latin America natives.
    Unos nacieron para ser estrellas y otros para ser estrellados

Established Member
    AFRO-NATIVE SCHOLAR Maroon King's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    R1b1b2a1a2
    mtDNA
    A2
    Race
    Triracial
    Metaethnos
    Afrocolombiano
    Ethnicity
    Barbacoano/Pacifico
    Phenotype
    Native/SSA/Med
    Nigeria Mali Benin Guinea-Bissau Congo Democratic Republic Mozambique

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    I'm talking about the unmixed ones. Many have good height/body proportions unlike the majority of Latin America natives.
    Find me an unmixed one.

Last Online
    2019-09-19 @ 21:11

Pure Amerindians, or at least as pure as you are gonna find.

Established Member
    Molecular Biologist
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 17:34

Didn't Maroon King once claim Colombia was the blacker country of Hispanic America? I wonder if he is still active on another board.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2