User Tag List

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 152

Thread: Lemba's 23andme and Mcdonald Results3473 days old

  1. #21
    Established Member
    Molecular Biologist oditous's Avatar
    Last Online
    2015-07-17 @ 20:36
    Join Date
    2010-01-07
    Posts
    3,889
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lemba View Post
    L3b1b

    I have only found some studies showing a couple of other Dominicans and people from Burkina Faso, so so far only D.R and Burkina Faso, in 23andme, that Area by Burkina Faso, Benin, Togo, Ghana is the one thats highlighted, alongst wiht certian parts of central africa, and surprising the warmest color most constinatly is on madagascar, i can't rule out malagasy ancestry because there where malagasy slaves.
    Check this paper, very detailed comparing of haplogroup frequencies among various westafrican ethnicities. It only gives info on L3b1 though. Mali and Guinean Bijago's, show the highest scores.

    Mitochondrial DNA variation in Mauritania and Mali and their genetic relationship to other Western Africa populations.
    link

    It seems that according to your direct maternal lineage you are descendant from the senegambian region. If so, it's very likely your maternal ancestror passed though cabo verde. Of course you might have other regional african roots as well.

    It makes sense to assume that many multigenerational mulattos from hispanic carribean share same MT-DNA profile as capeverdians. Early slave trade was afterall concentrated in senegambian region, later on other regions also supplied african labour.

    But the first ones had more chance to spread their genes, especially in regions where slaves were able to gain freedom early on and establsh a free black/mixed peasantry class like in DR & PR.

    THE ORIGINS OF THE AFRICAN ANCESTRY IN THE PUERTO RICAN POPULATION ACCORDING TO RESTRICTION ANALYSIS OF THE MITOCHONDRIAL DNA
    link


    The Puerto Rican population lies within the West African cluster and is surrounded by populations from the Senegambia region, Cape Verde being the closest one. The grouping of Puerto Rico with the Senegambian populations broadly corroborates historical reports identifying this region as one of the largest sources of slaves to the island. Furthermore, Senegambian mtDNAs were predominant in the 16th century and thus have spent more time reproducing in Puerto Rico than mtDNAs from more to the south, which were more common among slaves brought in the 19th century , according to history.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	haplogroup frequencies for westafrica (country).jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	244.6 KB 
ID:	3372   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	haplogroup frequencies for westafrica (ethno-linguistic group).jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	234.5 KB 
ID:	3373   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	haplogroup frequencies for westafrica (language group).jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	228.6 KB 
ID:	3374   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	L3e2.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	212.5 KB 
ID:	3375   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Haplogroup links.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	52.9 KB 
ID:	3376  

    Last edited by oditous; 2010-04-16 at 22:44.

  2. # ADS
    Advertisement bot
    Join Date
    2013-03-24
    Posts
    All threads
       
     

  3. #22
    Established Member
    sianara
    Last Online
    2011-12-01 @ 09:13
    Join Date
    2010-01-21
    Posts
    2,076
    Gender
    Metaethnos
    American
    United States

    Default

    LOL, how in the hell does one get a higher similarity with West Africans when he's apparently 27% African?

  4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Grasshoppa For This Useful Post:

    Caine (2010-04-16), El Andullero (2010-04-16), ethioboy (2010-04-17), toomash (2010-04-16)

  5. #23
    Established Member
    Molecular Biologist Salsassin's Avatar
    Last Online
    2012-05-30 @ 05:34
    Join Date
    2010-03-24
    Posts
    762
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Serge View Post
    It is not really a site. He is at a university and he does this for people who have taken the 23andMe test. He does it gratis. He uses the 23andMe data. If you take the 23andMe test, I am sure somone will give you his e mai address.
    Oh, I got his address. I googled. But jsu abot a Clan McDonald thingy. Cool. If I ever do 23andMe, I'll contact him as well.

  6. #24
    Established Member
    Nganga Bafiote Lemba's Avatar
    Last Online
    2019-10-17 @ 16:36
    Join Date
    2009-12-30
    Posts
    2,986
    Gender
    Y-DNA
    E1b1b1a2*, R1b1b2a1a
    mtDNA
    L3b1a,L4b2,L3e1a2,U6a3
    Metaethnos
    Carribean
    Ethnicity
    Dominican
    Phenotype
    SudaBantu/Amerind/Med
    Dominican Republic African Union(OAS)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grasshoppa View Post
    LOL, how in the hell does one get a higher similarity with West Africans when he's apparently 27% African?
    LOL Not sure but i guess there are more West-African mulattos then South-European mulattos, It is obvious that 27% is miscalculated, Atleast from what i see in the Mcdonald percent is from 37 - 40% African. I also have some west African genetics show up in my medical thing, such as "May have some resistance to P. vivax malaria"
    and i have genetics for "Two working copies of alpha-actinin-3 in fast-twitch muscle fiber. Many world-class sprinters and some endurance athletes have this genotype." This is a common inherted gene from West-Africans (again i am new to this i could be wrong), i also have likely to be lactose intolerant altough that may be from any of my ancestries.

    When i compare myself, i am more Similar to a Nigerian, i really hope 23andme includes more groups of people, it seems every Afro-descendant on the forum is going to be similar to a Nigerian.

    ---------- Post added 2010-04-17 at 02:59 ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by oditous View Post
    Check this paper, very detailed comparing of haplogroup frequencies among various westafrican ethnicities. It only gives info on L3b1 though. Mali and Guinean Bijago's, show the highest scores.

    Mitochondrial DNA variation in Mauritania and Mali and their genetic relationship to other Western Africa populations.
    link

    It seems that according to your direct maternal lineage you are descendant from the senegambian region. If so, it's very likely your maternal ancestror passed though cabo verde. Of course you might have other regional african roots as well.

    It makes sense to assume that many multigenerational mulattos from hispanic carribean share same MT-DNA profile as capeverdians. Early slave trade was afterall concentrated in senegambian region, later on other regions also supplied african labour.

    But the first ones had more chance to spread their genes, especially in regions where slaves were able to gain freedom early on and establsh a free black/mixed peasantry class like in DR & PR.

    THE ORIGINS OF THE AFRICAN ANCESTRY IN THE PUERTO RICAN POPULATION ACCORDING TO RESTRICTION ANALYSIS OF THE MITOCHONDRIAL DNA
    link
    Thanks for this! Now i have some good Material, well it makes sense. For one thing the words that my grandmother says of Bantu origin, can be applied to Mande populations, being that my Mtdna comes from her, and many female traditiosn are unbroken, specially in the isolated countryside. the Mande language, has alot of similarities to south-bantu languages such as Kikongo.

    All the populations in the PDF where broguht to d.r, Bambaras, and Zapes came in large numbers, Zapes specially they are from sierra leone. Peul's (Fulanis) and Bijaggos also came in sizeable numbers, the Bijagos have secret societies in Haiti, i believe the Bizango sosyete.

  7. #25
    Established Member
    Member
    Last Online
    2018-08-04 @ 23:35
    Join Date
    2009-10-24
    Posts
    2,661
    Gender
    Y-DNA
    E1b1b1
    Metaethnos
    habesha/italian
    Eritrea Ethiopia Italy United States

    Default

    ^ I think the compare genes tool is better than the global similarity tool at spoting overall similarity to population groups.

  8. #26
    Established Member
    sianara
    Last Online
    2011-12-01 @ 09:13
    Join Date
    2010-01-21
    Posts
    2,076
    Gender
    Metaethnos
    American
    United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lemba View Post
    It is obvious that 27% is miscalculated, Atleast from what i see in the Mcdonald percent is from 37 - 40% African.
    It probably is. Imo, I wouldn't take any test as absolute, since they're all flawed to an extent. I think at best you must take into account the reference populations in 23andme's test.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lemba View Post
    When i compare myself, i am more Similar to a Nigerian, i really hope 23andme includes more groups of people, it seems every Afro-descendant on the forum is going to be similar to a Nigerian.
    I suggest you get some more sharers. Most people with majority african on the ancestry painting are frequently more similar to Nigerians than to others with similar paintings. I suspect yours will be a bit different though, since you are not majority African. Honestly the similarity in regards to the Nigerian man confuses the hell out of me, and I suspect it has something to do with the genotyping chip (see my thread about Asian in Afro descendants). Mainly because of the selected snps.

    ---------- Post added 2010-04-17 at 17:44 ----------

    Interesting, Lemba. You are within the 72% range of similarity with nearly everyone on my list. I'm sharing with roughly 20 people, most of which have African admixture; most of which are African Americans. The only outliers are the Japanese man, a Chinese man, and one Afram, who you share with at 70.86, 71.08, and 71.95 respectively.

    On my list, you are second most similar to oditous (72.90), and first (72.93) with some majority Euro bi-racial or Afram (i'm not sure how she identifies). You are not very similar to either of the Nigerians on my list, relative to everyone else, that is. Only at 72.05 and 72.09.
    Last edited by Grasshoppa; 2010-04-17 at 22:46.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Grasshoppa For This Useful Post:

    oditous (2010-04-18)

  10. #27
    Established Member
    Nganga Bafiote Lemba's Avatar
    Last Online
    2019-10-17 @ 16:36
    Join Date
    2009-12-30
    Posts
    2,986
    Gender
    Y-DNA
    E1b1b1a2*, R1b1b2a1a
    mtDNA
    L3b1a,L4b2,L3e1a2,U6a3
    Metaethnos
    Carribean
    Ethnicity
    Dominican
    Phenotype
    SudaBantu/Amerind/Med
    Dominican Republic African Union(OAS)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grasshoppa View Post
    It probably is. Imo, I wouldn't take any test as absolute, since they're all flawed to an extent. I think at best you must take into account the reference populations in 23andme's test.



    I suggest you get some more sharers. Most people with majority african on the ancestry painting are frequently more similar to Nigerians than to others with similar paintings. I suspect yours will be a bit different though, since you are not majority African. Honestly the similarity in regards to the Nigerian man confuses the hell out of me, and I suspect it has something to do with the genotyping chip (see my thread about Asian in Afro descendants). Mainly because of the selected snps.

    ---------- Post added 2010-04-17 at 17:44 ----------

    Interesting, Lemba. You are within the 72% range of similarity with nearly everyone on my list. I'm sharing with roughly 20 people, most of which have African admixture; most of which are African Americans. The only outliers are the Japanese man, a Chinese man, and one Afram, who you share with at 70.86, 71.08, and 71.95 respectively.

    On my list, you are second most similar to oditous (72.90), and first (72.93) with some majority Euro bi-racial or Afram (i'm not sure how she identifies). You are not very similar to either of the Nigerians on my list, relative to everyone else, that is. Only at 72.05 and 72.09.
    THis is interesting, i think there are other reasons why i share with Oditous i also have a Senegambian mtdna, and probably have multiple senegambian ancestors. I also have Southern european/north african ancestry like him. Makes sense. I might share with alot of Aframs again because of my Senegambian ancestry, what ethnic groups have your mtdna haplogroup? LOL funny enoguh in real life as far as phenotype i am often confused for AfroAm's, most of the time confused by other AA's, and soemtimes by puertoricans and oddly enough other Dominicans.

  11. #28
    Established Member
    Molecular Biologist oditous's Avatar
    Last Online
    2015-07-17 @ 20:36
    Join Date
    2010-01-07
    Posts
    3,889
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lemba View Post
    Thanks for this! Now i have some good Material, well it makes sense. For one thing the words that my grandmother says of Bantu origin, can be applied to Mande populations, being that my Mtdna comes from her, and many female traditiosn are unbroken, specially in the isolated countryside. the Mande language, has alot of similarities to south-bantu languages such as Kikongo.
    You sure that mande language group is similar to bantu languages? I have always read otherwise.

    Anyways i have a feeling that most african words still being used in the americas derive from slaves who were brought in the last wave (18th/19th cent.). These words don't necesarrily tell anything about ethnic origins per se, just about which ethnic group had the most lasting linguistic/cultural impact.

    I think in case of DR, congolese/angolans and Benin people were probably the last ones to arrive in DR and therefore less prone to creolization. But by that time there was already a sizeable class of free blacks/mulatto's who i assume were mostly senegambian/guinean in origin.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lemba View Post
    All the populations in the PDF where broguht to d.r, Bambaras, and Zapes came in large numbers, Zapes specially they are from sierra leone. Peul's (Fulanis) and Bijaggos also came in sizeable numbers, the Bijagos have secret societies in Haiti, i believe the Bizango sosyete.
    Do you have another name for these Zapes? I read they were also brought to mexico. In Capeverdean crioulo there's three main african influences, first mandinga, then wolof and thirdly Temne, which is from sierra leone.




    Quote Originally Posted by Lemba View Post
    THis is interesting, i think there are other reasons why i share with Oditous i also have a Senegambian mtdna, and probably have multiple senegambian ancestors. I also have Southern european/north african ancestry like him. Makes sense.
    Yep it does, i wonder which streches of genomes we share specifically, the african ones or the iberian/northafrican ones.
    Last edited by oditous; 2010-04-18 at 12:19.

  12. #29
    Established Member
    Archangel Game Theory's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Join Date
    2009-10-23
    Posts
    5,765
    Location
    USA
    Gender
    Y-DNA
    E1b1a7a
    mtDNA
    L4b2
    Race
    Sub-Saharan African
    Phenotype
    Sudanid
    Metaethnos
    American
    Ethnicity
    Afro-American
    Phenotype
    New World Black
    Politics
    Center-right
    Religion
    Church of Christ
    United States

    Default

    I took the same 23andme tests and my results are a bit overinflated on the native American side, no way is more than 44% of my ancestry Native American although I wasn't shocked that my mtDNA marker was Native American because my grandmother is Native American. I need to test with a different company.

  13. #30
    Email Inactive Race Scientist
    Last Online
    2010-06-19 @ 02:15
    Join Date
    2010-03-28
    Posts
    125
    Location
    Some friggin' cloud
    Gender
    Phenotype
    Care Bearoid
    Religion
    Satanism

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Game Theory View Post
    I took the same 23andme tests and my results are a bit overinflated on the native American side, no way is more than 44% of my ancestry Native American although I wasn't shocked that my mtDNA marker was Native American because my grandmother is Native American. I need to test with a different company.
    There isn't any company currently better than 23andme so it's a waste of your money. Why don't you send your raw data to McDonald for free?

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Oditous's 23andme results
    By oditous in forum Member Results
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 2012-03-24, 01:45
  2. Sargon999's 23andMe results
    By Sargon999 in forum Member Results
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 2011-10-04, 08:09
  3. Νεφελοκοκκυγίας 23andme results
    By Νεφελοκοκκυγία in forum Member Results
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 2010-07-05, 06:10
  4. Anodyne's 23andme Results
    By Anodyne in forum Member Results
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 2010-04-10, 07:28
  5. F-roll's 23andme results
    By Froll in forum Member Results
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 2010-03-14, 17:01

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
<