Thread: Esperanto1687 days old

Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    Europoid
    Ethnicity
    European

Default Esperanto

There's a really old thread here on the subject, but I figured since most of our users have changed it's time to revive this topic in a fresh new thread.

I know Esperanto never took off and fulfilled its intended purpose, but it seems to have lived on at least among the polyglot/language enthusiast subculture. I've recently come across a handful of interesting books written or translated into Esperanto. I'm almost tempted to learn it (considering how easy it allegedly is) just for the experience of reading a book in this language.

Has anyone here had any experience with this language? Thoughts? Opinions?

Last edited by XMidnightX; 2015-01-09 at 01:22.
    "A racist is anyone winning an argument against a liberal."
    -Ancient proverb

"To try to come to grips with the nation's problems without understanding the role of intelligence is to see through a glass darkly indeed, to grope with symptoms instead of causes, to stumble into supposed remedies that have no chance of working."
    -Richard Herrnstein, Charles Murray

“If the truth offends people, it is our job as scientists to offend them."
    -Satoshi Kanazawa

2. # ADS
    Advertisement bot

Last Online
    2015-06-24 @ 07:03
    J2
    mtDNA
    K1a
    Race
    Caucasian
    Phenotype
    Mediterranid
    Ethnicity
    West Asian
    Politics
    Zionist elder
    Religion
    Juice
    Russia Kazakhstan Israel

Sounds useless, no offense. Languages should be learnt because of its applicability to future trends. The most useful languages to know in the near future are: English, Spanish, Mandarin, French, and maybe even Hindi. This is in no particular order.

Also, here is an insight into what Esperanto is. It was invented by an Ashkenazi Jew. What are the odds?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Khazar For This Useful Post:

XMidnightX (2015-01-10)

Last Online
    2015-01-09 @ 20:38

Default Esperanto: a dynamic and growing language community.

It's not true that "I know Esperanto never took off and fulfilled its intended purpose..." I see things differently. I see Esperanto as a remarkable success story. It has survived wars and revolutions and economic crises and continues to attract people to learn and speak it. Esperanto works. I've used it in speech and writing in about seventeen countries over recent years. I recommend it to anyone, as a way of making friendly local contacts in other countries.

I'm all in favour of all language learning, but a choice has to be made. Which language(s) should we be learning for business purposes? Learn Spanish and you’re at a loss In Germany, learn French and you’re illiterate in Russia, learn Chinese and you can’t ask for an ice cream in Portugal. I would respectfully suggest that we take another look at Esperanto, a relatively new language which is easy to learn and use.

Some 2200 Esperanto speakers from 65 countries will gather in Lille this summer. I'll be among them. Go to: http://www.lve-esperanto.org/lille2015/ This is the 100th such event, a sign of a dynamic and growing language community.

Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    Europoid
    Ethnicity
    European

Quote Originally Posted by Khazar View Post
    Sounds useless, no offense. Languages should be learnt because of its applicability to future trends. The most useful languages to know in the near future are: English, Spanish, Mandarin, French, and maybe even Hindi. This is in no particular order.

Also, here is an insight into what Esperanto is. It was invented by an Ashkenazi Jew. What are the odds?
    Well there are people who enjoy learning languages for the sheer enjoyment, and personal enrichment. The online polyglot culture is an example of that. Of course one would hope that you could actually use the language that you're learning to some degree. I know that Esperanto is so uncommon that the chances of even using it slim to none. But I have to admit I'm kind of intrigued, just based on how its described as being so easy to learn. I wouldn't dedicate much time to Esperanto (I'd save that for real languages), but if I could make serious progress in a short time, I'd give it a try.
    -Ancient proverb

"To try to come to grips with the nation's problems without understanding the role of intelligence is to see through a glass darkly indeed, to grope with symptoms instead of causes, to stumble into supposed remedies that have no chance of working."

-Satoshi Kanazawa

Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    R-L21
    mtDNA
    K1
    Metaethnos
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Blemish
    Flanders lion Netherlands European Union Belgium

If you don't speak it already you would probably never start picking it up. It's rowing against the current, learning Esperanto, as it's only kept alive by a niche group of hobbyists.
    I would learn a real language like French, German, Russian, Mandarin, Arabic or whatever language which opens you up to another culture.

Sure Esperantists have their 'culture' too I guess. You could always try learning it. Enough sources online. I personally think it sounds dull and ugly. That fact alone makes it potentially a hard language, despite its simplicity.
    Last edited by Danielion; 2015-01-10 at 03:09.
    "Political correctness is the (...) revenge of the (...) intolerant, (...) dunce upon all the liveliness in this world. It is no more than the (...) resort of minds (...) that, for them, a revival of Stalinism is preferable to the pain of a glimpse of self-it's the last sigh of the beast that Nietzsche identified as ressentiment."

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Danielion For This Useful Post:

Semitic Duwa (2015-01-10), XMidnightX (2015-01-10)

Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    Europoid
    Ethnicity
    European

Quote Originally Posted by Danielion View Post
    If you don't speak it already you would probably never start picking it up. It's rowing against the current, learning Esperanto, as it's only kept alive by a niche group of hobbyists.
    I would learn a real language like French, German, Russian, Mandarin, Arabic or whatever language which opens you up to another culture.

Sure Esperantists have their 'culture' too I guess. You could always try learning it. Enough sources online. I personally think it sounds dull and ugly. That fact alone makes it potentially a hard language, despite its simplicity.
    Yeah some of the criticism I've read says that a drawback of Esperanto is that it "feels made up." Of course, that can kind of be a double edged sword. I'm currently studying Russian and the frustrating aspects of that language make you wish that parts of it were a little more deliberately made up.
    -Ancient proverb

-Satoshi Kanazawa

10. The Following User Says Thank You to XMidnightX For This Useful Post:

Danielion (2015-01-10)

Senior Moderator
    Plant of Life = Biological Magic 麻 EliasAlucard's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Y-DNA
    J1a2a1a2-P58+
    mtDNA
    H5a
    Race
    Caucasian
    Phenotype
    Alpinid
    Metaethnos
    proto-Semitic
    Ethnicity
    Assyrian/Armenian
    Politics
    Environment, Cannabis
    Religion
    Secular Agnostic
    Assyria Assyria 1913-1923 Armenia Lebanon Sweden Greece

The entire point with Esperanto was to create a global, universal and egalitarian, non-exclusive, non-ethnic language. Similar to the GPL license. To a large extent, English has for all intents and purposes, replaced Esperanto. And anyway, even if Esperanto would have been made the official language of every country, it would sooner or later evolve into different dialects and eventually into mutually unintelligible languages, per the rules of sound laws and language change. So I don't see the point with learning Esperanto. And most of it is based on Indo-European languages anyway.

The odds are high, for the same reason the GPL license was authored by an Ashkenazi Jew

Esperanto is the linguistic version of the GPL, and the GPL is the software version of Christianity. Egalitarianism is a Jewish favorite and we've seen reruns of it the past 2000 years in all social sections.
    Last edited by EliasAlucard; 2015-09-28 at 17:23.
    ReactOS <--- support this project so that we can get rid of Windows!
    Ubuntu MATE 16.04.1 LTS | PRISM-Break! | Windows7sins

“A wise man makes his own decisions; an ignorant man follows public opinion.” ― Chinese proverb

“Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under.” ― H. L. Mencken

“The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance.” ― Socrates

“Damnant quod non intelligunt.” ― Latin proverb

Quoted for truth:
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaron View Post
    Anatolian Urhemait supporters are mostly butthurt Meds.
    For the lulz:
    Quote Originally Posted by drgs View Post
    Poland is a misunderstanding. It is a country which lies on the frontier between western and slavic world, and which combines elements of both.
    In fact, they are not even the Europeans in strict sense, meaning European as in bearing the responsibility and understanding of European interests. Poland has always been an subordinate country, on one side sucking German dick, on the other side -- Russian one, some kind of "novice" europeans, who are full of inferiority complexes, hysteria and obsessity neuroses. This is also true for all Baltic countries

Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    R-L21
    mtDNA
    K1
    Metaethnos
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Blemish
    Flanders lion Netherlands European Union Belgium

Learning Esperanto can be difficult because it's so dull.

- - - Updated - - -

Arguments for learning a language aren't solely economical. Also cultural and sentimental reasons exist, or even the sake of learning it itself.

EDIT: Oh dear, I've already posted here.
    Last edited by Danielion; 2015-09-28 at 17:47.
    "Political correctness is the (...) revenge of the (...) intolerant, (...) dunce upon all the liveliness in this world. It is no more than the (...) resort of minds (...) that, for them, a revival of Stalinism is preferable to the pain of a glimpse of self-it's the last sigh of the beast that Nietzsche identified as ressentiment."

Established Member
    Last Online
    2019-07-27 @ 13:00
    Race
    Europid
    Metaethnos
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    American
    Phenotype
    Nordo-Cromagnid
    Politics