User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Will humans be forced to eat insects in the future?1587 days old

Established Member
    Molecular Biologist
    Last Online
    @
    Default Will humans be forced to eat insects in the future?

What if the world's food resources run out, due to overpopulation and climate change?

I have heard some say that people will be forced to eat insects as a staple diet.

Personally, that disgusts me. I hope it doesn't happen.

What do you think?

Insects are "extremely efficient" in converting feed into edible meat, the agency said. On average, they can convert 2 kilograms (4.4 pounds) of feed into 1 kilogram (2.2 pounds) of insect mass. In comparison, cattle require 8 kilograms (17.6 pounds) of feed to produce a kilo of meat.
    Most insects are likely to produce fewer environmentally harmful greenhouse gases, and also feed on human and food waste, compost and animal slurry, with the products being used for agricultural feed, the agency said.
    Currently, most edible insects are gathered in forests and what insect farming does take place is often family-run and serves niche markets. But the U.N. says mechanization can ratchet up insect farming production. The fish bait industry, for example, has long farmed insects.
    Insect farming is "one of the many ways to address food and feed security," the food agency said.
    "Insects are everywhere and they reproduce quickly," the agency said, adding they leave a "low environmental footprint." They provide high-quality protein and nutrients when compared with meat and fish and are "particularly important as a food supplement for undernourished children," it said.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3265764.html

Apparently, insects can be very nutritious, and reproduce quickly which make them a desirable food source....

Last edited by larali; 2015-04-15 at 01:25.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement bot

Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    Metaethnos
    Iranic
    Ethnicity
    Kurd
    Religion
    None (Atheism)
    Kurdistan Belgium Flanders lion Armenia

We'll get used to it. It'll get processed into foods that don't look bug-like anymore anyway.

Not too long ago my university's restaurant served those bug-burgers, was a pretty big success, I believe. Couldn't try it though, I'm allergic to dust mites.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Zert For This Useful Post:

Acquisitorz (2015-04-14), Awale (2015-04-14), a_garcia49 (2015-04-14), randomguy1235 (2016-01-21), The Apple (2015-04-15)

Wiki Editor
    Your favourite (((Skype))) Semitic Duwa's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    J1-Z18271 (YSC234+)
    mtDNA
    J1c5
    Race
    Caucasoid
    Metaethnos
    (((Skype))) + British
    Ethnicity
    (((Canaanite)))
    Politics
    Pump & Trump
    Religion
    Jehovah's Fitness
    Israel Israel Star of David Israel Israel

I trust the Huff Post with the future about as much as I trust the mullahs with nukes.

Quote Originally Posted by MnM View Post
    Morocco is a western lapdog.
    Quote Originally Posted by NonFingo View Post
    Those Bronze Age samples are just red herrings to distract you from the actual arrivals of populations with Semitic ancestry. Don’t take the bait by focusing on the wrong samples, lol. He is passing off Bronze Age Levantines with no evidence of strong predynastic input, as “Semites“. This way, he can flip it around and say Proto-Semitic speakers and predynastics were more or less identical to the Bronze Age Levantines sampled so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by NonFingo View Post
    @Semitic Duwa

Wonder what the resident Proto-Semite has to say about this. I thought unmixed Egyptians were supposed to be Abusir with less/zero Chl?

In your view, does this prove you wrong, or is it just a coincidence () that M1 is absent in one of the three subsamples from Abusir, and rare overall?

And don’t change your signature now, please. I’m looking forward to you looking more and more incompetent as more aDNA is published. Wish there was a way to speed this up. But the extra wait and seeing you with your pants down every day, kinda has its own appeal, too.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Semitic Duwa For This Useful Post:

Awale (2015-04-14), Celph Titled (2015-04-15), El Andullero (2015-04-14), EliasAlucard (2015-04-14), The Apple (2015-04-15), XMidnightX (2015-04-14)

Established Member
    Last Online
    @

I can't imagine a scenario where all food resources other than insects would disappear. Maybe that's wishful thinking because I imagine I would starve, I can't get over the psychological barrier of fear & disgust towards them. I know though in desperate times, the mind is elastic and humans adapt but still...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Fereshte For This Useful Post:

The Apple (2015-04-15)

Senior Moderator
    Plant of Life = Biological Magic 麻 EliasAlucard's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Y-DNA
    J1a2a1a2-P58+
    mtDNA
    H5a
    Race
    Caucasian
    Phenotype
    Alpinid
    Metaethnos
    proto-Semitic
    Ethnicity
    Assyrian/Armenian
    Politics
    Environment, Cannabis
    Religion
    Secular Agnostic
    Assyria Assyria 1913-1923 Armenia Lebanon Sweden Greece

No. Once America's hemp industry kicks in (which should occur within the next two decades), we'll never have to worry about protein again:

All non-hemp solutions are inferior and beside the point.
    Last edited by EliasAlucard; 2015-04-14 at 21:10.
    ReactOS <--- support this project so that we can get rid of Windows!
    Ubuntu MATE 16.04.1 LTS | PRISM-Break! | Windows7sins

“A wise man makes his own decisions; an ignorant man follows public opinion.” ― Chinese proverb

“Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under.” ― H. L. Mencken

“The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance.” ― Socrates

“Damnant quod non intelligunt.” ― Latin proverb

Quoted for truth:
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaron View Post
    Anatolian Urhemait supporters are mostly butthurt Meds.
    For the lulz:
    Quote Originally Posted by drgs View Post
    Poland is a misunderstanding. It is a country which lies on the frontier between western and slavic world, and which combines elements of both.
    In fact, they are not even the Europeans in strict sense, meaning European as in bearing the responsibility and understanding of European interests. Poland has always been an subordinate country, on one side sucking German dick, on the other side -- Russian one, some kind of "novice" europeans, who are full of inferiority complexes, hysteria and obsessity neuroses. This is also true for all Baltic countries

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to EliasAlucard For This Useful Post:

Awale (2015-04-14), a_garcia49 (2015-04-14), El Andullero (2015-04-14), Fereshte (2015-04-14), NixYO (2015-04-14), Semitic Duwa (2015-04-14), The Apple (2015-04-15)

Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    Y-DNA
    E-V32
    mtDNA
    N1a
    Ethnicity
    Somali
    Somalia Ethiopia Eritrea Djibouti

Seriously, people really over-blow our "food problem"... Frankly they should take a good luck at how much land we can honestly still green up and how effective we're actually becoming at greening deserts ( - , - : greening the Sahara or the Arabian Peninsula is no longer a dream) and there's the innovative idea of "high rise farms" or "several story farms" (there's much more ambitious iterations than the ones in Singapore). Now, animals might become a problem/ "farming" them but we'll figure that out too. Also, the "food issue" is often connected to the idea that the world will have too many people to sustain.

That's just a misconception... Frankly, once the world's population hits what Hans calls "peak child": it'll gradually decrease in size. In fact Europe & Japan for example are slated to decrease in population size over the next century and quite a bit over time after that given their current birth rates (1 child per woman), this is actually a serious-ish problem to the Japanese: [-]

Too bad I likely won't live long enough to see our species whining about "underpopulation" someday

Spoiler: 
    People are gradually in many places doing something about greening up some of the world's land too.. An aunt of mine is working real hard to green-up Northeastern Somalia for example and is succeeding. I've seen some "before and after" images and the work they've done in some areas is staggering.
    Last edited by Awale; 2015-04-14 at 20:51.

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Awale For This Useful Post:

a_garcia49 (2015-04-14), Blodeuwedd (2015-04-14), El Andullero (2015-04-14), Fereshte (2015-04-14), larali (2015-04-14), Semitic Duwa (2015-04-14), The Apple (2015-04-15)

Wiki Editor
    Established Member
    Molecular Biologist
    Last Online
    @
    E--V13 (dad's)
    mtDNA
    H
    Race
    Europid
    Metaethnos
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Celtic Southron
    Politics
    Orbán-esque

Quote Originally Posted by larali View Post
    I have heard some say that people will be forced to eat insects as a staple diet.

Personally, that disgusts me. I hope it doesn't happen.

What do you think?
    We know how they'll be served in the South. Battered and deep fried with a side of cole slaw and hushpuppies .

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Blodeuwedd For This Useful Post:

Awale (2015-04-14), a_garcia49 (2015-04-14), EliasAlucard (2015-04-14), larali (2015-04-14), NixYO (2015-04-14), The Apple (2015-04-15)

Established Member
    Last Online
    2018-12-04 @ 07:13
    R1b-SRY 2627 - A7080
    mtDNA
    H5a1f
    Phenotype
    Archaic Nomenclature
    Politics
    Not a Fan
    GEDmatch
    M202348
    United States Germany Poland Poland Volhynia Switzerland Scotland

I grew up in a farming community and we ate every part of a butchered animal, so insects are not a big deal. You eat plenty of insects you don't even know about.

Hey insects are good enough for birds. I personally would certainly choose many other foods if available , but if I was starving eating insects would be near my last resort just before starvation or cannibalism. I'm not sure which I would choose if cannibalism or starvation if those two were only choices.
    Last edited by thetick; 2015-04-14 at 22:02.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to thetick For This Useful Post:

Awale (2015-04-14), a_garcia49 (2015-04-14), NixYO (2015-04-14), The Apple (2015-04-15)

Established Member
    Last Online
    2019-07-25 @ 03:11
    Race
    Negroid
    Metaethnos
    Black
    Ethnicity
    Black American
    Politics
    SJW Mangina
    Religion
    Agnostic Occultism
    United States African Union(OAS)

lots of cultures eat bugs

oh and thanks for the close up of the bug

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TheMask For This Useful Post:

Awale (2015-04-14), a_garcia49 (2015-04-14), NixYO (2015-04-14), Semitic Duwa (2015-04-14)

Established Member
    Last Online
    2019-07-30 @ 07:14
    Y-DNA
    I2a1b2a1a1 (A2423+)
    mtDNA
    U3a1a(1)
    Race
    Europid
    Metaethnos
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Polish
    Politics
    laissez faire
    Religion
    Metalhead
    Poland Lithuania Grand Duchy

We eat them already, fancy a strawberry yoghurt? Enjoy:

E120

Carminic acid (C22H20O13) is a red glucosidal hydroxyanthrapurin that occurs naturally in some scale insects, such as the cochineal, Armenian cochineal, and Polish cochineal. The insects produce the acid as a deterrent to predators. Carminic acid is the colouring agent in carmine. Synonyms are C.I. 75470 and C.I. Natural Red 4.
    Polish cochineal (czerwiec polski)

The historical importance of the Polish cochineal is still reflected in most modern Slavic languages where the words for the color red and for the month of June both derive from the Proto-Slavic *čьrvь (probably pronounced [t͡ʃĭrwĭ]), meaning "a worm" or "larva".[9] (See examples in the table below.) In the Czech language, as well as old Bulgarian, this is true for both June and July, the two months when harvest of the insect's larvae was possible. In modern Polish, czerwiec is a word for June, as well as for the Polish cochineal (czerwiec polski) and its host plant, the perennial knawel (czerwiec trwały).
    These insects are basically in most red foods you can buy nowadays, always look for E120
    Last edited by Pioterus; 2015-04-14 at 23:21.
    and the IEEE Milestone for breaking the Enigma Code goes to... Polish Cipher Bureau 1932-39

“We know each other,” he agreed. “They say that you follow in my steps.”
    “I go my own way. But you, you had never, until just now, looked behind you. You turned back today for the first time.”
    Geralt remained silent. Tired, he had nothing to say. “How... How will it happen?” he asked her at last, coldly and without emotion. “I will take you by the hand,” she replied, looking him straight in the eye. “I will take you by the hand and lead you across the meadow, through a cold and wet fog.” “And after? What is there beyond the fog?” “Nothing,” she replied, smiling. “After that, there is nothing.”
    ― Andrzej Sapkowski
    Świat się zmienia, słońce zachodzi, a wódka się kończy [The world is changing, sun is setting and we're running out of Vodka.]
    ― Andrzej Sapkowski

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast