Phenotype
    many of these, I think
    Politics
    Libertarianish
    Religion
    no religion
    United States

Default heritability and race of type 1 diabetes

My disease is type 1 diabetes. It is 88% genetically heritable according to a twin study, meaning, unlike type 2, I did nothing to cause it except live to adolescence. And it is my disease, but, for any eugenics system that weighs the diseases we do not want to pass on to the next generation, I would rank type 1 diabetes very highly on that list of "do not want." I would disadvantage my own self in my own eugenics system. I just hope it isn't a complete deal-breaker.

It is a disadvantage of being the whitest person I know. The whiter you are, the more likely you are to have type 1 diabetes. This is in addition to many other diseases most common among whites, such as celiac disease and cystic fibrosis. Whatever the genetic advantages among whites, they should not delude themselves into thinking they are the pinnacle of human evolution or whatever.

Word atlas of type 1 diabetes.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ApostateAbe For This Useful Post:

Power77 (2018-04-19), Silesian (2018-04-20)

3. # ADS
    Advertisement bot

Established Member
    Evolutionary Biologist
    Last Online
    @
    E1b1b1a1a2
    mtDNA
    T1a8b

Actually, the concordance of type 1 diabetes in identical twins is not that high. Among those with type 1 diabetes who have an identical twin, the other twin develops type 1 diabetes less than 50% of the time. The heritability of type 2 diabetes is much higher.

Finland has the highest global prevalence of type 1 diabetes. Interestingly, Finnish-born children with Somali parents reach the Finnish prevalence of type 1 diabetes, which is much higher than that of Somalia. A Swedish study on the children of East African immigrants revealed similar results.

So environmental factors are certainly very much at play, as was already obvious from the continuous increase of this disease in the last century. Type 2 has also increased, due to other environmental factors; basically, poor diets and a lack of physical activity, while the genetic factors have remained largely unchanged.
    Last edited by Lol_Race; 2015-05-11 at 16:19.

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lol_Race For This Useful Post:

AlpArslan (2015-05-11), Awale (2015-05-11), pgbk87 (2015-05-11), Power77 (2018-04-19), Zakar-Baal (2015-05-11)

Wiki Editor
    Established Member
    Molecular Biologist ApostateAbe's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 20:13
    Y-DNA
    T
    mtDNA
    T2b
    Race
    Europoid
    Metaethnos
    What's Meta-Ethnos?
    Ethnicity
    White American
    Phenotype
    many of these, I think
    Politics
    Libertarianish
    Religion
    no religion
    United States

Quote Originally Posted by Lol_Race View Post
    Actually, the concordance of type 1 diabetes in identical twins is not that high. Among those with type 1 diabetes who have an identical twin, the other twin develops type 1 diabetes less than 50% of the time. The heritability of type 2 diabetes is much higher.

Finland has the highest global prevalence of type 1 diabetes. Interestingly, Finnish-born children with Somali parents reach the Finnish prevalence of type 1 diabetes, which is much higher than that of Somalia. A Swedish study on the children of East African immigrants revealed similar results.

So environmental factors are certainly very much at play, as was already obvious from the continuous increase of this disease in the last century. Type 2 has also increased, due to other environmental factors; basically, poor diets and a lack of physical activity, while the genetic factors have remained largely unchanged.
    OK, cool. I am interested to know what informs your claim that type 1 diabetes is less than 50% concordant among identical twins. I got the 88% value from here:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1...?dopt=Abstract

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ApostateAbe For This Useful Post:

Power77 (2018-04-19)

Established Member
    Evolutionary Biologist
    Last Online
    @
    E1b1b1a1a2
    mtDNA
    T1a8b

Nah, your source actually agrees with my claim.

Finland has the world's highest incidence of type 1 diabetes, and it is steadily increasing. We determined concordance rates and estimated heritability for type 1 diabetes in the Finnish Twin Cohort, a population-based twin cohort of 22,650 twin pairs. In addition, we studied age of onset in the first affected twin and discordance time between concordant twin pairs. Finnish twins born between 1958 and 1986 were followed for type 1 diabetes until 1998. We identified 228 twin pairs with type 1 diabetes: 44 monozygotic (MZ), 183 dizygotic (DZ), and 1 pair with unknown zygosity. The pairwise concordance for type 1 diabetes was 27.3% (95% CI 22.8-31.8) in MZ and 3.8% (2.7-4.9) in DZ twins. The probandwise concordance was 42.9% (26.7-59.2) and 7.4% (2.2-12.6), respectively. The longest discordance times were 6.9 years among concordant MZ twins and 23.6 years among DZ twins. The risk for type 1 diabetes was highest in cotwins of the index twins diagnosed at a very young age. The model with additive genetic and individual environmental effects was the best-fitting liability model, with 88% of phenotypic variance due to genetic factors and the remaining variance due to unshared environmental factors. In conclusion, these nationwide twin data demonstrated high genetic liability for type 1 diabetes. Early-onset diabetes increases the risk in cotwins. However, the majority of affected MZ twin pairs remain discordant for type 1 diabetes.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lol_Race For This Useful Post:

Awale (2015-05-12), pgbk87 (2015-05-12), Power77 (2018-04-19)

Last Online
    2015-06-15 @ 08:32

However, the scientists agree that the diseases are inherited, but there are some diseases are not transferable.

thanks
    Rewaz Mokhles
    Graduated from Soran University

Established Member
    Arubano y Curasoleno
    Last Online
    @
    Y-DNA
    J-M172
    mtDNA
    L3e2b1a2
    Metaethnos
    Dutch Caribbean
    Ethnicity
    Aruban/Curacaon
    Politics
    Duartian Republicanism
    Aruba Netherlands Antilles Aruba Netherlands Antilles Netherlands CARICOM

What about Epilepsy?
    "Los blancos, morenos, cobrizos, cruzados, marchando serenos, unidos y osados, la Patria salvemos de viles tiranos, y al mundo mostremos que somos hermanos. "Juan Pablo Duarte

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Shaquille For This Useful Post:

Power77 (2018-04-19)

Wiki Editor
    Established Member
    Last Online
    Y-DNA
    T
    mtDNA
    T2b
    Race
    Europoid
    Metaethnos
    What's Meta-Ethnos?
    Ethnicity
    White American
    Phenotype
    many of these, I think
    Politics
    Libertarianish
    Religion
    no religion
    United States

This is an old thread, but I am getting back to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lol_Race View Post
    Nah, your source actually agrees with my claim.
    You are looking at the concordance of the age of onset, not the heritability of the disease.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ApostateAbe For This Useful Post:

Power77 (2018-04-19)

Senior Moderator
    Plant of Life = Biological Magic 麻 EliasAlucard's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Y-DNA
    J1a2a1a2-P58+
    mtDNA
    H5a
    Race
    Caucasian
    Phenotype
    Alpinid
    Metaethnos
    proto-Semitic
    Ethnicity
    Assyrian/Armenian
    Politics
    Environment, Cannabis
    Religion
    Secular Agnostic
    Assyria Assyria 1913-1923 Armenia Lebanon Sweden Greece

Quote Originally Posted by ApostateAbe View Post
    My disease is type 1 diabetes. It is 88% genetically heritable according to a twin study, meaning, unlike type 2, I did nothing to cause it except live to adolescence.
    Back in school, there were two Norwegian identical twin sisters, one of them had type 1 diabetes, and she had to take insulin shots like every day. The other girl didn't have it though, but they looked identical and all. So while it's highly heritable, it's not always the case that the other twin gets it.

Can't you just keep your diet very low carb? Like below 20 g carbohydrates per day, and keeping the fat and protein high?
    ReactOS <--- support this project so that we can get rid of Windows!
    Ubuntu MATE 16.04.1 LTS | PRISM-Break! | Windows7sins

“A wise man makes his own decisions; an ignorant man follows public opinion.” ― Chinese proverb

“Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under.” ― H. L. Mencken

“The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance.” ― Socrates

“Damnant quod non intelligunt.” ― Latin proverb

Quoted for truth:
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaron View Post
    Anatolian Urhemait supporters are mostly butthurt Meds.
    For the lulz:
    Quote Originally Posted by drgs View Post
    Poland is a misunderstanding. It is a country which lies on the frontier between western and slavic world, and which combines elements of both.
    In fact, they are not even the Europeans in strict sense, meaning European as in bearing the responsibility and understanding of European interests. Poland has always been an subordinate country, on one side sucking German dick, on the other side -- Russian one, some kind of "novice" europeans, who are full of inferiority complexes, hysteria and obsessity neuroses. This is also true for all Baltic countries

16. The Following User Says Thank You to EliasAlucard For This Useful Post:

Power77 (2018-04-19)

Wiki Editor
    Established Member
    Last Online
    Y-DNA
    T
    mtDNA
    T2b
    Race
    Europoid
    Metaethnos
    What's Meta-Ethnos?
    Ethnicity
    White American
    Phenotype
    many of these, I think
    Politics
    Libertarianish
    Religion
    no religion
    United States

Quote Originally Posted by EliasAlucard View Post
    Back in school, there were two Norwegian identical twin sisters, one of them had type 1 diabetes, and she had to take insulin shots like every day. The other girl didn't have it though, but they looked identical and all. So while it's highly heritable, it's not always the case that the other twin gets it.

Can't you just keep your diet very low carb? Like below 20 g carbohydrates per day, and keeping the fat and protein high?
    The age onset of Type 1 ranges from infancy to midlife. While the disease is highly heritable, the age of the phenotype is not so heritable. A low-carb diet makes it easier to control yes. Too much insulin may kill me immediately, not enough insulin may kill me over the long term, and it is easier to know how much insulin to take if the carb intake is low.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to ApostateAbe For This Useful Post:

EliasAlucard (2018-04-19)

Senior Moderator
    Plant of Life = Biological Magic 麻 EliasAlucard's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Y-DNA
    J1a2a1a2-P58+
    mtDNA
    H5a
    Race
    Caucasian
    Phenotype
    Alpinid
    Metaethnos
    proto-Semitic
    Ethnicity
    Assyrian/Armenian
    Politics
    Environment, Cannabis
    Religion
    Secular Agnostic
    Assyria Assyria 1913-1923 Armenia Lebanon Sweden Greece

Quote Originally Posted by ApostateAbe View Post
    The age onset of Type 1 ranges from infancy to midlife. While the disease is highly heritable, the age of the phenotype is not so heritable. A low-carb diet makes it easier to control yes. Too much insulin may kill me immediately, not enough insulin may kill me over the long term, and it is easier to know how much insulin to take if the carb intake is low.
    Do you count your calories/macronutrients? I do, every day, I highly recommend it. I've been doing it for 3 years straight now, every day (the exception is when I occasionally eat Thai buffet). Point is, with a highly controlled nutritional diet, you can know exactly how much carbs you eat and adjust your insulin shots thereafter ik perfect precision.
    ReactOS <--- support this project so that we can get rid of Windows!
    Ubuntu MATE 16.04.1 LTS | PRISM-Break! | Windows7sins

“A wise man makes his own decisions; an ignorant man follows public opinion.” ― Chinese proverb

“Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under.” ― H. L. Mencken

“The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance.” ― Socrates

“Damnant quod non intelligunt.” ― Latin proverb

Quoted for truth:
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaron View Post
    Anatolian Urhemait supporters are mostly butthurt Meds.
    For the lulz:
    Quote Originally Posted by drgs View Post
    Poland is a misunderstanding. It is a country which lies on the frontier between western and slavic world, and which combines elements of both.
    In fact, they are not even the Europeans in strict sense, meaning European as in bearing the responsibility and understanding of European interests. Poland has always been an subordinate country, on one side sucking German dick, on the other side -- Russian one, some kind of "novice" europeans, who are full of inferiority complexes, hysteria and obsessity neuroses. This is also true for all Baltic countries

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast